The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hrothgar calculations bugged?

• Emperor_ManBearPig
    It is totally bugged with the calculations. It’s a joke how no one can explain why the hrothgar procs are hitting so hard. I’m currently running this set with engine guardian, hrothgar, and grace of gloom and I’m pretty impossible to kill but I can still hit like a truck since the proc damage is based off enemy resistances and not my own damage. IMO this is worse than procs 1.0.
  • Greek_Hellspawn
    Greek_Hellspawn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Theignson wrote: »

But later, I hit 2 players with talons. One was hit for 4500, the other one for 15000.

Maybe it hits harder the more enemies you hit? Like the first person gets hit for his armor value then the second gets hit for both his and the first opponents armor value.

No, see a couple posts up. I hit 6 players ( you can see it in combat metrics scroll mode) and none was higher than 7k. But another DK hit me and 3 players with Talons and I got hit for 19k.

Can't see a pattern yet

Well then rip eso pvp for 3 months :(
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

On a stamblade with 20k armor (See the two last proc). Yes, calculation are bugged (and i was alone)
    Edited by Fhritz on August 29, 2021 4:18PM
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I'm making a Stam Sorc build for the first time and found Berserker Strike can give the player up to ~100k total resist extra.

https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/berserker-strike

jeALhSF.png

So if the player already has 40k/40k total resist and uses Berserker Strike on an enemy tank with 50k/50k resist, the player's new total resist will be 80k+100k = 180k.

This would explain some of the insane Hrothgar hits we see.

180000 * 0.13 = 23400 damage before mitigation

Interesting theory.

But does a meaningful amount of the population use Berserker Strike?

I thought that Dawnbreaker of Smiting was more the norm, because it's AOE damage, AOE DoT, and AOE CC.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had the exact opposite experience with this set when testing it yesterday, it was only hitting enemies for like 2.5k in my tests. So I basically threw it out.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »
    I had the exact opposite experience with this set when testing it yesterday, it was only hitting enemies for like 2.5k in my tests. So I basically threw it out.

I have been using this set. My procs have been 3k-4.5k it's good, but not much better than any other proc set. It's bugged by the looks of a lot of these recaps. It appears to be the dot from the chilled status it leaves.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have been using this set. My procs have been 3k-4.5k it's good, but not much better than any other proc set. It's bugged by the looks of a lot of these recaps. It appears to be the dot from the chilled status it leaves.

Not sure what faction you play, but apparently the AD on NA GH all have crap resists, and the proc was worthless against them. Dark Convergence on the other hand, decimated their zergs.
  • Emperor_ManBearPig
    image0-15-2.png?width=949&height=676

This is current state of ESO pvp. How are people getting 10k+ Hrothgar hits?
  • MaxwellMurphy
    MaxwellMurphy
    Soul Shriven

Obviously it is not *successfully stunning or immobilizing but rather *attempting...4 people shouldnt have been able to do that to you simultaneously otherwise...???

That's a rough recap. I agree the RIP decent PvP (where there are procs) for a while until things get brought in line. BGs are simply no fun right now either when you have all the Hrothgar and Dark Convergence going off constantly.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not sure what faction you play, but apparently the AD on NA GH all have crap resists, and the proc was worthless against them. Dark Convergence on the other hand, decimated their zergs.

I was testing last night with a friend and sometimes it double procs, but we don't know what causes it. I hit him for 7k twice during several duels. He was in 2 damage sets. We think it randomly will calculate your spell resist and physical resist together so he had 27k resists on his s&b bar. We think it was doubling it to 54k, which surely isn't intended as it didn't occur consistently.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Obviously it is not *successfully stunning or immobilizing but rather *attempting...4 people shouldnt have been able to do that to you simultaneously otherwise...???

That's a rough recap. I agree the RIP decent PvP (where there are procs) for a while until things get brought in line. BGs are simply no fun right now either when you have all the Hrothgar and Dark Convergence going off constantly.

He must have been grouped up. It's an aoe, so it's proccing as others stun people near him.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭

Maybe high pen without the use of major breach, corrosive, onslaught or stuhns.
  • Dovahmiim
    Dovahmiim
    ✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »
    unknown.png

On a stamblade with 20k armor (See the two last proc). Yes, calculation are bugged (and i was alone)

Yeah you weren't alone, cos you copped 2x the AOE proc. Currently the single target proc is working as intended, but the AOE component is messed up (perhaps ignoring battle spirit). It's doing a great job of messing up zergs and ballgroups, so I think it's great.
    I'm better.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dovahmiim wrote: »
    unknown.png

Yeah you weren't alone, cos you copped 2x the AOE proc. Currently the single target proc is working as intended, but the AOE component is messed up (perhaps ignoring battle spirit). It's doing a great job of messing up zergs and ballgroups, so I think it's great.

Yeah to second this you were hit by 2 different procs meaning at least you and someone else were stunned/immobilised seperately to receive two instances of the proc. I find it very unlikely you were alone.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

If you have any more info on the answer, just throw it on here. The worst part of a bad meta is when only a few jerks who like to make people miserable are throwing this nonsense down for hours on end. And it takes a certain amount of noise, or a whole bunch of time from ZoS to figure out why the 95% of people who aren't both hardcore, and psychos, are getting tortured day in and day out.

It's also wasting my time messing around on PTS to figure it out during these downtimes.

Idk, its up to the people who play. Is winning better, or is having new people to play with better?
    Edited by spacefracking on August 31, 2021 2:37PM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is really insane that they don't have feature-toggle flags to be able to temporarily disable sets that are clearly doing incorrect numbers before they fix the issue.
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the set takes into account the resistance of everyone if you hit more than one person like aoe stun or immobilize
  • Nser
    Nser
    ✭✭✭

I dont think so.. I think its just random damagr numbers
  • Emperor_ManBearPig
    Anyone else noticing that Hrothgar is proc’ing at random times? I noticed that the proc went off when others in group stunned or immobilized my target. Seems pretty bugged to me.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else noticing that Hrothgar is proc’ing at random times? I noticed that the proc went off when others in group stunned or immobilized my target. Seems pretty bugged to me.

Yes, there is definitely a random component which contributes to the problem. I can't always figure out why it is proccing.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

I was alone. But the fact that Hrotgar can proc from damage against enemies (even if it's not intended) means that sometimes two players can activate set multiples times (it happens randomly tho), or you can proc it from your backbar.

I've already reported this bug tho.
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Normally hrothgar hits me for like 4-5k. But sometimes i get 10k hits and lately i got a 19.5k hrothgar hit (have recorded this). I guess the splash damage calculation is wrong sometimes.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭

No i dont think so. I used hrothgar on my dk in corrosive armor (=max pen) and yes it hits harder but only like 1 or 2 k more. So normally i got hits on other for 3-4k and in corrosive it was like 5-6k. Im pretty sure the calculation is bugged sometimes and i guess the splash damage. As i wrote in another comment i lately got a 19.k hrothgar hit on myself.
    Edited by silver1surfer69 on September 15, 2021 11:08PM
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    unknown.png

I was alone. But the fact that Hrotgar can proc from damage against enemies (even if it's not intended) means that sometimes two players can activate set multiples times (it happens randomly tho), or you can proc it from your backbar.

I've already reported this bug tho.

i have the same experience. Single target seems fine but splash damage seems wrong.
    PC/EU
  • Pymad
    Pymad
    ✭✭
    Same here. Normally hrothgar hits me for like 4-5k. But sometimes i get 10k hits and lately i got a 19.5k hrothgar hit (have recorded this). I guess the splash damage calculation is wrong sometimes.

This is not sometimes. This is always. I explain it at the beginning of the thread for the approx damage. An old bug on a proc damage set show the same issue.

The initial target damage is fine as it track resistance and do damage as all every damage works (so it tracks resistance, take 26% of it, multiply by offensive modifier such as frost damage etc and decrease the damage by each defensive modifier on the target, so Resistance - Penetration, Protection buff etc).

But the cleave AoE damage just ignored the battle's spirit Cyrodiil bonus and probably the resistance. This explain why sometimes you take 3-5k (Initial target) and sometimes lot more (AoE : 10k+).

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler , The question is no more about an eventual bug ... This is bugged, we even point you where is the issue ! The question is, why do you let it like that ?

I think we, PvP players, all know that PvP is not your priority ... definitely ... but seriously, this is not professional to let it destroy the PvP ... Everyone play it, there is no more skills but Hrothgar. The amount of the damage is not even the only issue. If you look to builds played with it, people just stack tankiness and add a CC to make it proc. "Congrats, you take 2.3K from Leap (DK Ult) and 16.4K from hrothgar" ... Come on, patch release 3 weeks ago ! I was still hoping on something 1-2 weeks after but now, this is ridiculous ... Unfortunately, it doesn't affect PvE, we would have seen patch quickly ...
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • paulychan
    paulychan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a faction member stand next to me while using a catapult. next thing I knew we got hit hard. Hrothgar tick was 25k. As I layed there laughing, I noticed him do the same to 2 players. [snip]

[edited to remove bashing and baiting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on September 17, 2021 1:49PM
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been noted several times and the working theory is that if one person in your group stun a target, all group members will have their hrothgar proc go off at the same time. Haven't tested this myself and I don't know how frequently this happens. But I'm going to lean on the side of 'probably very likely' given the overall lack of quality control that I've found for this patch.