The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Reach 50 What is the Point?

• aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    housing and roleplay - true and currently only endgame in ESO my friend

And to get the best housing items you have to PvP to have an Elder Scroll or transit station in your house, do vPvE to get the Akatosh Doors or the Kynes Aegis Boat or that rare furnishing plan (because you err I eerr don't fish) or do antiquities to get that specific Shrine, or do achievements to get those statues/lights or play the entire map and it's huge to get all the sky-shards to have them light your star-gate or you can craft stuff and farm mats and trade to get gold to buy stuff from the luxury vendor/guild traders.

That is why housing is the true end game. You have to everything to do obsessive housing

It's interesting that it's also a secret vice that many many 'elite' PvPers and PvEers often keep secret and won't admit to. ;)

not sure about the role-play though

edited for typos and accidentally cut stuff
    Edited by aetherial_heavenn on August 24, 2021 10:52AM
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me reaching level 50 was largely irrelevant. Reaching CP160 was useful because then I could choose a set of gear and stick with it instead of constantly swapping pieces out because I'd found something better.

But other than that it didn't change much. Before then I was working my way through maps doing the main story, zone stories and all the side quests and other bits and occasionally doing dungeons. I was about 1/2 way through Alik'r when I hit level 50 and I can't remember where I was when I hit CP160 but in both cases I just carried on doing the same things I was doing before. I'm still doing that now, currently working my way through Craglorn and after that I'll probably do Wrothgar. (I decided to put off completing the other Alliance zones because I've seen them on other characters.)

My main interest in this game is as an Elder Scrolls game where I can see all of Tamriel and sometimes play with other people. I'm not here to complete with anyone, either directly or by trying to get the best DPS or the fastest dungeon clears or whatever. I don't care about that, I just want to enjoy playing the content by myself or with friends and guild mates. So levels, CP, progression in whatever form isn't really a goal for me so much as an extended tutorial - it functions as a way of gradually adding skills so you don't have too much to deal with at once but otherwise doesn't matter.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanakanabe wrote: »
    So I reached 50. Confused on how scaling works and where is the fun. It doesn't seem there is a goal to work towards other than more leveling. On my journey to 50, I thought the mobs would be more challenging as I progressed and the past mobs would get easier, you know as I gain power, I am advancing/accomplishing something. At 50 levels in, I don't feel like I accomplished anything. I made an Alt that is level 4 and he can solo delves and dolmens and pretty much everything my 50 can. So at 50, I am still really just a level 4 in level 50 armor. End game as far as I can tell is everyone bragging about beating up a training dummy for parses and getting the gear to do it. Is that it, am I missing something? How hard is it to get those next 160 levels, so do the levels take as long per level as the first levels to get to 50?
    I enjoyed the story to 50, it was quite overwhelming as to where to go and what to do but as far as fighting, there really wasn't anywhere I couldn't go, no place made me feel like it was something I might not be able to handle. 160 levels sounds daunting and boring and to only end up looking pretty and brag about beating up a dummy doesn't sound appealing.

lol, you got it immediately. There is no true progression in this game. Don't get me wrong...there is plenty of harder content you can do...but you will never feel more powerful than you do now. That is ok though, it doesn't mean there is a lack of challenge, its all about how you approach the challenge and what you feel you need to get from a game. Want a challenge as a solo player? Have you completed veteran Maelstrom Arena? If not...that is your first stop. You certainly won't feel more powerful completing it...but you may feel more accomplished.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CP160 being max level sucks. It's incredibly underwhelming for new players to reach level 50, think they've made it, then be told they have another 160 levels to go because of some arbitrary veteran rank system holdover that ZOS never thought to remove when they added the CP system. And good luck finding someone to craft CP level 100 gear when the mats are almost non-existent in the economy and literally impossible to harvest for end game players :lol:

@Wanakanabe - CP160 is very easy to reach, and much faster than levelling has been so far. It looks daunting, but it will happen pretty fast :smile: At that point you get to put together item sets with set piece bonuses that will really make your builds shine, and start reaching power levels that will let you solo world bosses and public dungeons. The progression is very much there, but I completely understand why you aren't seeing it yet and might think max level feels pointless. You're not at max level yet, because ZOS thought this arbitrary CP160 level for max gear idea rather than level 50 for max gear wouldn't be confusing or disappointing to new players at all. Sorry about that :neutral:
  • CombatRecon11B
    CombatRecon11B
    ✭✭✭
    For me it started with completing the main quest and exploration.

Non DLC World Bosses, and regular dungeons were what I cut my teeth on.

Eventually I began tackling the easier vet dungeons and normal trials and vet Craglorn trials, while simultaneously working Vet Maelstrom Arena.

Then the Vet Trials

Then Vet Trial Hard Modes, though I still don't have completes on many of them. That's where I'm at now. This becomes very involved, so I ducked out to do region completes, and once I'm finished I plan to get sweaty again.

So that was linear for the most part. The cool thing about the game is, and I know fishing sucks at times, but it's also peaceful. It's easy to find something to do, even when the mobs are trash and most of the World Bosses don't pose much of a challenge.

Just try not to get burnt out.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    CP160 being max level sucks. It's incredibly underwhelming for new players to reach level 50, think they've made it, then be told they have another 160 levels to go because of some arbitrary veteran rank system holdover that ZOS never thought to remove when they added the CP system. And good luck finding someone to craft CP level 100 gear when the mats are almost non-existent in the economy and literally impossible to harvest for end game players :lol:

@Wanakanabe - CP160 is very easy to reach, and much faster than levelling has been so far. It looks daunting, but it will happen pretty fast :smile: At that point you get to put together item sets with set piece bonuses that will really make your builds shine, and start reaching power levels that will let you solo world bosses and public dungeons. The progression is very much there, but I completely understand why you aren't seeing it yet and might think max level feels pointless. You're not at max level yet, because ZOS thought this arbitrary CP160 level for max gear idea rather than level 50 for max gear wouldn't be confusing or disappointing to new players at all. Sorry about that :neutral:

It's a throwback from vet levels. There was a period in the game were we both had Veteran Ranks (up to 16) and CP existed simultaneously. In the VR days, you could get gear at any VR level. That was much worse because VR were not account wide, and the grind from V1(Level 50) to VR 16 was significantly longer the CP1-CP160. VR16 gear was converted to CP 160. I am just grateful they havent raised the gear cap on us since then.

Also, you can get to CP 160 in an evening if you want to.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 24, 2021 7:14PM
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    For me reaching level 50 was largely irrelevant. Reaching CP160 was useful because then I could choose a set of gear and stick with it instead of constantly swapping pieces out because I'd found something better.

My main interest in this game is as an Elder Scrolls game where I can see all of Tamriel and sometimes play with other people. I'm not here to complete with anyone, either directly or by trying to get the best DPS or the fastest dungeon clears or whatever. I don't care about that, I just want to enjoy playing the content by myself or with friends and guild mates..

Exactly how I play. This is a hobby, not a job. I play to relax & kill time when not working, or having that nagging wife all over me...rofl!
    @Wanakanabe - start reaching power levels that will let you solo world bosses and public dungeons.

Um, yeah, nope, got what I want to wear, and still won't/can't solo a WB. Don't care to. I'm not greedy, I will always announce it in /ZONE and let others come assist/help....

It's better that way, and if there is an actual "low" level wanting it, they get credit....

Yes I solo 98% of the time, but there are aspects that you just have to group, or get others to assist w/o grouping.

That's the fun for me. Get to see other characters in action, albiet I'm seeing more and more meta junk than "originality" builds...

Anyway, make the game what you will. 50/160 is just a number, and as my first quote...Just a point to get gear/set, and then ignore it from then on, except for repairs which become mout once you get enough cp into that spot for lowered cost...

Just enjoy the game man....

I do....

• francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just lv up more, to like cp 300 and do vet hardmode ,or just vet dlc dungs and die to all the insta kills.
    Than join a trial and die a gain to all the insta kills.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I reached 50. Confused on how scaling works and where is the fun. It doesn't seem there is a goal to work towards other than more leveling. On my journey to 50, I thought the mobs would be more challenging as I progressed and the past mobs would get easier, you know as I gain power, I am advancing/accomplishing something. At 50 levels in, I don't feel like I accomplished anything. I made an Alt that is level 4 and he can solo delves and dolmens and pretty much everything my 50 can. So at 50, I am still really just a level 4 in level 50 armor. End game as far as I can tell is everyone bragging about beating up a training dummy for parses and getting the gear to do it. Is that it, am I missing something? How hard is it to get those next 160 levels, so do the levels take as long per level as the first levels to get to 50?
    I enjoyed the story to 50, it was quite overwhelming as to where to go and what to do but as far as fighting, there really wasn't anywhere I couldn't go, no place made me feel like it was something I might not be able to handle. 160 levels sounds daunting and boring and to only end up looking pretty and brag about beating up a dummy doesn't sound appealing.

how close are you to grand master crafter, sagacious seer, master angler?

• Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Go take your level 50 or level 4 into Vet Fang Lair solo or any vet dungeon/arena for that matter before disparaging end game players.

sorry not my intention to disparage anyone. Just trying to find something that I can look forward to

You look forward to being able to play all the content in the game. Cp goes much faster for leveling especially at first you’ll hit 160 quick.

At 160 you focus on gearing then you gain cp and experience as you play. Yeah being able to hit good numbers on a dummy is obviously important but being able to play mechanics and react and listen and work with others will get you very far.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Wanakanabe - start reaching power levels that will let you solo world bosses and public dungeons.
    Um, yeah, nope, got what I want to wear, and still won't/can't solo a WB. Don't care to. I'm not greedy, I will always announce it in /ZONE and let others come assist/help....

Depends on the WB.... there are a few I can do, but Bittergreen the [insert cussword of choice] is a crazy insane evil guar and I will either call for help, or happily join in the murdering of him and his horde of creepy spriggans.

For fun...

Send my theives to wander around Murkmire - I finally HAVE the infamous recipe for "berries"
    RwV4Qth.jpg

And am now continuing to hunt for the one stone bench that I do not yet have:
    DhkYDLs.jpg
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, this is what players asked for. Under pressure from casual players, the game is increasingly slipping into the casual abyss. We have been monitoring rebalances in the game for years, and have long understood that ZOS simply do not know how to work with game balance. The same happened with the gameplay. For the casual player, it may seem interesting at first. But soon you realize that game does not provide any challenge. And endless requests for at least a new overwold difficalty mode are not even taken into account.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vhozek wrote: »

Welcome to the daily discussion that is progression and game difficulty. It is an every day topic. No progress has been made towards fixing this issue ever. You will also be told to play the game naked if you want a challenge.. oh and think of the new players.

And Destiny just announced that they are implementing a difficulty setting for their main story campaign in the latest expansion.

In response to all of the complaints about how the main Story Bosses were too easy and made for a disappointing experience..

This setting allows the player to play the Campaign on Beginner/Casual Solo up to Endgame Difficulty.

Hallelujah 🙏
    Edited by Iccotak on August 25, 2021 5:36AM
  • Klabbath
    Klabbath
    The Champion Point system is quite fun to level.
    PC - EU
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO progression is sort of shrouded and not easy to see.

I think they want horizontal progression so you can do what you like basicly.

The endgame is mostly:
    -DLC Vet -> DLC Vet Hardmodes
    -Vet Trials -> Vet Trial Hardmodes
    -PvP
    -Housing/Economy/Roleplaying

Up until that point, the world mostly feel around the same, if you play things how they were intended.. Like grouping up with strangers to kill a dragon instead of trying to solo it.
    Group up with people through dungeon finder, to clear a dungeon, instead of trying to solo it yourself.

Play as intended as the game pretty much let you do what you want up until vet DLC.
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on August 25, 2021 10:28AM
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Go take your level 50 or level 4 into Vet Fang Lair solo or any vet dungeon/arena for that matter before disparaging end game players.

I never understood why this is such a used argument with the ESO community. When anyone mentions the ease of overland content this is used. Telling someone to run a vet dungeon solo isn’t an answer or credible argument towards how one Tamriel hindered some feelings of progression in this game.