The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Useful Furniture

bridgetrose
bridgetrose
✭✭✭
For those of you knee deep in housing, not a newbee like me, what is the pieces of furniture/or structure that you've crafted the most for your own use, not to sell, but for your own use?
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good lighting is my #1 pick. My second choice would be rugs/carpets.
    PC NA
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Good lighting is my #1 pick. My second choice would be rugs/carpets.

It always amazes me how much better put together a room looks with carpet. Even with as little decorating as I've managed that really is a thing.

• M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second floor in my Mistveil looks like a Sentinel rug merchant's stall exploded all over it.

eCkyPQc.png
    Edited by M_Volsung on July 30, 2021 10:36PM
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    The second floor in my Mistveil looks like a Sentinel rug merchant's stall exploded all over it.

eCkyPQc.png

I like it. Makes it look cozy.

• Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭
    That would be the following lights:

Daedric Brazier, Standing
    Daedric Brazier, Table
    Daedric Chandelier, Ritual

They provided enough lighting without looking out of place and can fit into most home decors.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Bigmatt2 wrote: »

Daedric Brazier, Table

They provided enough lighting without looking out of place and can fit into most home decors.

Thanks I'll look for those. Light is a problem with a lot of these homes.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ha, this is going to sound funny but I always craft the masterworks silver tea kettle and the Hlaalu bathtub for all my houses.

I always set up a cozy place to sit and have tea and of course one needs a place to clean up.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, this is going to sound funny but I always craft the masterworks silver tea kettle and the Hlaalu bathtub for all my houses.

I always set up a cozy place to sit and have tea and of course one needs a place to clean up.

I like that you have a good starting place to work out from.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually always craft all furniture for myself, because I'm not in a guild and therefore can't sell anything. The only thing I buy are candles, because the amount of decorative wax to make them is so damn high and you need a lot of candles for a nice illumination..
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Actually, it’s something I add later, but those are the exact same items in each house. I craft the usual furnishings first of some style that matches the house but the style varies. I always do a crafting area for each house too.

I realize now that I am doing the same process for all my houses now, lol! Maybe I’m ready for a theme house next for a change!
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭

Actually, it’s something I add later, but those are the exact same items in each house. I craft the usual furnishings first of some style that matches the house but the style varies. I always do a crafting area for each house too.

I realize now that I am doing the same process for all my houses now, lol! Maybe I’m ready for a theme house next for a change!

When you say you have a crafting area do you mean you have the regular crafting tables or the Attuned ones?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When you say you have a crafting area do you mean you have the regular crafting tables or the Attuned ones?

Just the regular ones. One of my guildies has all the attuneables and I’m happy to visit his house and do my writs there. Too much time, effort, and gold to get all those.

I do like to add things to the crafting area to make it look like it’s actually being used, like soul gems, the Solitude thread rack, the Solitude loom, stacks of leather and fabric, spools of thread, etc.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭

Just the regular ones. One of my guildies has all the attuneables and I’m happy to visit his house and do my writs there. Too much time, effort, and gold to get all those.

I do like to add things to the crafting area to make it look like it’s actually being used, like soul gems, the Solitude thread rack, the Solitude loom, stacks of leather and fabric, spools of thread, etc.

I bet that looks neat. You can do daily's there but it's too bad you'd still have to go somewhere to turn them in.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭

Daedric Brazier, Table

These are some of the best lights for an area that is too dark. I also like the Clockwork Illuminator, Solitary Capsule to shove into a wall behind windows on some very bad lit houses. The amber Vampire lights are also quite nice.
  • Mysanne
    Mysanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    The furniture that I craft the most are: lighting, rugs, small tables (to put a lamp, a vase, a glass of wine, a book, a cake, a cat ...) and then it's good to have some food to give an inhabited aspect to the house and a few sofas for the comfortable side.

This is why I often spend astronomical sums of money to buy the blue prints for new furniture "lamps, rugs and small tables". The rest can be bought individually, it's cheaper (beds, wardrobes, censer, pottery, large tables ...)

Edited by Mysanne on August 2, 2021 8:58AM
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The baskets, sacks, and similar clutter are usable with any home style, so you will make a lot of them. Plans are cheap, too. Plates/cutlery are another thing that goes everywhere.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO lighting is the most important part. Most pre-greymoor homes are very dark
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Andre_Noir wrote: »

Agree completely and I'll take all the suggestions I can get on the lights with the most illumination.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's structural materials: walls, platforms, floors, etc., but that's because I like to build a lot of stuff. From decorative items, I've also crafted a lot of counters, bookcases and chairs.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    For me it's structural materials: walls, platforms, floors, etc., but that's because I like to build a lot of stuff. From decorative items, I've also crafted a lot of counters, bookcases and chairs.

I love to see what you cobblers come up with. Very inventive group.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

I love to see what you cobblers come up with. Very inventive group.

Yeah the housing community in ESO is mind-boggingly creative, imaginative and brilliant :smiley: I've seen some amazing things done with what we have available in game, and players have made really innovative, impressive and also playful builds. I think it's a great feature of the game :smile:
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I craft a lot of display food and kitchen utensils. I'm a little obsessed with cooking, so I have to put a well-stocked kitchen in all my houses.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I craft a lot of display food and kitchen utensils. I'm a little obsessed with cooking, so I have to put a well-stocked kitchen in all my houses.

That's one good way to make a house looked lived in. I bet it looks nice.

• everseeing_njpreub18_ESO

Agree completely and I'll take all the suggestions I can get on the lights with the most illumination.

Beacon of Tower Zero. Huge bright white light, sink it into the walls/floor/ceiling and move it as far as need as the light dims with distance until you get the general overall light you want. Then add small lights to highlight or add ambience.

Did this a few times in my Daggerfall Overlook, and i have 4 farmed already for my upcoming Pantherfang, it find it saves a lot of light furniture spots as well as letting me use the lights i like, not just the brightest.
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭

Beacon of Tower Zero. Huge bright white light, sink it into the walls/floor/ceiling and move it as far as need as the light dims with distance until you get the general overall light you want. Then add small lights to highlight or add ambience.

Did this a few times in my Daggerfall Overlook, and i have 4 farmed already for my upcoming Pantherfang, it find it saves a lot of light furniture spots as well as letting me use the lights i like, not just the brightest.

Really interesting technique sinking it until you get the effect you're aiming for.

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clockwork capsule illuminators provide some of the best lighting in the game
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Clockwork capsule illuminators provide some of the best lighting in the game

thank you. I'll add it to the list.

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Daedric Brazier, Table

One of my favorite things to do is to take the Daedric Brazier, Table and sink it under some of the cheap firelogs you can pick up at most any home furnisher in a city. The flames are perfect for a fireplace and give off a lot of light. And way better than spending crowns for fireplace logs that don't put off nearly as much light.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Daedric Brazier, Table

One of my favorite things to do is to take the Daedric Brazier, Table and sink it under some of the cheap firelogs you can pick up at most any home furnisher in a city. The flames are perfect for a fireplace and give off a lot of light. And way better than spending crowns for fireplace logs that don't put off nearly as much light.

I love to hear tricks like this. It's something you only learn with experience and helps those of us without any!
  • TeruKisuke
    TeruKisuke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably my #1 used furnishing: Alinor Grand Bookcase. I have used it as walls, floors, face value, counters, entertainment systems, space fillers, coat racks, you name it. So far it is my most versatile piece. The texture is nice, it fills up space (not too big nor too small), the side with the pattern leaves space so that you can sink in cupboards and drawers, and as a floor it makes an interesting pattern. (I have since replaced it but it used to be the floor for my first house.)
    tqotqwgtkmc8.jpeg

But, this can also apply to any bookcase, like solitude ones for the backs, or Hlaalu bookcases to fill other bookcases.

Others include:
    -Alinor Counters. (They look nice. I have used them for counters, cupboards, and even steps for stairs. You’ll see how this is functional in a second.)
    -Orcish Platforms. (They have an invisible bottom with collision, so I am able to make any stairs functional by just sinking this platform into it.) Or they can be used at face value. It’s not as needed since we’ll be getting wooden stairs now, but it can still be helpful.
    -Solitude Platforms. Both the tile side and wooden side are useful. I have also used the edging to decorate my walls.
    -Solitude Fireplace, Ornate. It’s become a meme between a friend and I how useful this piece is. Don’t know how to fill space? Use the Solitude Fireplace. I don’t mean it at face value, though it can be used that way. The back is nice for walls, and the bottom I have used in a kitchen.
    jyarj5pzr9sn.jpeg

-Also seen above, the Vampiric Sideboard. I’ve used it to pretty up my countertops, tables, and even made cupboards out of them. Also useful as railings. Vampiric textures are like the new Alinor.
    -Markarth Walkway, Stone. It’s pretty, white, has tile on one side and plain white on the other, and has an ornate brass side to it. So far I have used it as sand, bridges, pillars and wall details, indoor white walls, etc.

I will probably think of more later, but stay tuned because at the end of the month this list will change to include the new Leyawiin structurals. Honestly just put any structural item on the list and it will stick.