The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Incident: 210723-004613 is being handled very poorly and namechange request.

NupidStoob
NupidStoob
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I've come here since I have the feeling that I am victim of targeted harassment from someone at ZoS support and hope that somebody else can look into it. The ticket in question has the ID 210723-004613

To give a summary:

Recently my name @NupidStoob has been forcefully changed by ZoS support and I have been banned for 72 hours for violating the CoC and ToS. This is a name I am using for 16 years of online gaming and for 8 years since the closed beta in ESO. I have many accounts across many online games and not once has my name been an issue. Not even on this forum has anyone ever said anything. I've also had multiple encounters with ZoS support over the years and they have never raised an issue before. In fact those encounters have all been pleasant.

Now completely out of the blue my name has become an issue. I can understand we live in times where people are easier offended and we try to avoid this as much as possible so I actually don't mind that. In fact I have already renamed my Youtube, Steam and Discord names to just Nupid years ago since everybody was calling me that anyways.

My issue now is that I have been named @bluecow1 by ZoS support when Cow is literally a very common insult. Secondly where I think it is getting ridiculous is that ZoS Support has told me to send three suggestions which were @Nupid, @Snupid and @NupidS, but they have been denied on the grounds of "masking the word stupid". That's a very fair thing to say for "NupidStoob", but Nupid is literally just my name at this point. Everyone online calls me that for 16 years which is more than half of my life. It is just a name and not an attempt to mask anything. There is no maliciousness here, just me trying to preserve my identity. I am fairly sure that you can just go around and rhyme or slightly alter almost any name to mean something offending in some language. This is a massive can of worms that shouldn't be opened in my opinion.

Since ZoS deemed my account name now breaking their ToS/CoC I would like to request my name on the forums be changed to simply "Nupid".

Thank you for your assistance.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @NupidStoob

Please check your forum inbox for an update regarding your current ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen you post in the forums under that name, I hope you can come to an understanding with support that will satisfy both parties, and you can have a name that you are happy with. Good luck, I hope it gets sorted out soon!
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I've seen you post in the forums under that name, I hope you can come to an understanding with support that will satisfy both parties, and you can have a name that you are happy with. Good luck, I hope it gets sorted out soon!

Thank you.

I don't mind changing NupidStoob one bit as I can see how people could get offended by it. However that Nupid is being denied when on it's own it's just a harmless name feels a bit over the top.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is that even remotely offensive?
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alucardo Well NupidStoob is just mixed letters of StupidNoob. Alone the fact that I played with that name for over 9000 hours in ESO and had multiple interactions with support without it ever being an issue shows how questionable that is. However like I said I can understand if they dislike it and don't want that name in the game. Fair enough to me.

The reason they provide for the name not following their CoC and ToS is actually not that it is offensive, but that it is "trolling". Obviously what "trolling" actually is is completely open to their interpretation.

My one and only real issue with this whole situation is that they won't allow me to use @Nupid or a variant of that with the reasoning that they still think it refers to "stupid" and is just some attempt of me to bypass their rules. I've tried to explain that over the 16 years that I am using this name "Nupid" has long become how people address me and by now is simply my online persona. On it own Nupid doesn't mean anything bad and is simply a name. Just because it originates from something that is a bit questionable doesn't make it bad. This so far has got me nowhere though as ZoS support seems to be straight up ignoring that.

I say it feels like targeted harassment at this point simply cause I can't think of another reason for this level of pettiness. I am also sure that if I had changed my name to @nupid before someone reported @nupidstoob it would have never even been an issue.

This whole ordeal should have just been a mail "hey @nupidstoob your name doesn't follow our standards anymore, please provide some alternatives so we can change it" with me providing them "@nupid" and them being fine with it. Instead I got a 72H ban as if I suddenly did something wrong and out of malice, along with a forced namechange to bluecow1 which is ridiculous considering that calling people by animal names to insult them is pretty common among most cultures and to top it off they won't even allow a name that on it's own means absolutely nothing good or bad and is just a name.
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like someone from support was having a bad day, and took it out on you. You can escalate your issue to someone with a level head.
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • Signor_Rossi
    Signor_Rossi
    ✭✭
    any updates on this? it's ridiculous.

I mean, sure, nupid maybe fights like a cow but insulting him like this and calling him out of the blue a bovine really is rude. zos? how could you?
    Edited by Signor_Rossi on August 1, 2021 12:56PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, their rulings are really nupid
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, the issue was, that part of @name was anagram for word which could be used as insult and ZOS solution is to change that name to one which outright contains word which can be also used as insult? :worried::worried::worried:

English isn't my first language and had no idea how many seemingly innocuous words in it are actually curse words, or at least offensive, until joining ESO. Seriously, reading in-game chat box with profanity filter on is like playing game of charades (in foreign language, mind you). Why does it have to be so strict in 18+ game? I'm pretty sure any three year old knows word "stupid" or the word for sound bell makes (can't write it here, it's apparently profanity and would be censored :s ). Game has option to whisper other players, but won't allow word "whisper" in the chat box (why?). Not advocating for this forum or in-game chat to turn into dumpster of profanity, but could there be some common sense?

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the game have an 18+ age rating? Sometimes I feel like it should be a 3+ age rating based on the words they find offensive.
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After a lot of back and forth it has finally been sorted out. Thanks for the support guys.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for the update. With the naming issue now sorted out for the OP, this thread will be closed going forward.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.