Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wish Crystal Weapon could be a hybrid ability

CaptainVenom
CaptainVenom
✭✭✭✭✭
It costs stamina and deals physical damage, but damn... I wish it could deal magic damage as well. I've been thinking and it would be awesome if we could have it work like Soul Trap, which adapts to your highest damage, but with resources as well (if magicka is higher than stamina, then it will costs magicka, for instance).

What do you guys think?
🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of abilities that should have a 3rd morph that is both magicka and stamina, cost and damage.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, just give us a stam curse and you can share crystal weapon.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It can be a hybrid ability.. just make a hybrid build.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »

Sure, I'll just slap on some pelinal's and.. oh.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Pelinal's is old news. Many better hybrid sets that give double bonuses from top to bottom, as well as mundus, armor bonuses, weapon's damage, basically everything is hybrid now except stamina / magicka. Easy to make a hybrid build without pelinals.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental weapon exists and has very similar function and damage
    Edited by MentalxHammer on July 20, 2021 2:08AM
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭

Pelinal's is old news. Many better hybrid sets that give double bonuses from top to bottom, as well as mundus, armor bonuses, weapon's damage, basically everything is hybrid now except stamina / magicka. Easy to make a hybrid build without pelinals.

The root as to why they aren't keeping up: Percentage bonuses.

Specified bonuses specific only to one type of power/resource puts a "valley" between stamina and magicka strengths (graphically speaking).
    Edited by Syrpynt on July 20, 2021 3:51AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If everything was hybrid I wouldn't complain. What if you want to play as some kind of battle mage with S+B? The sword and board passive still only applies a weapon damage buff, not spell damage. It's just easier to focus on increasing your weapon damage and then slap on Pelinal's. I will admit, sets like Stuhn's are certainly helping.
    I'm just annoyed they are turning a nice hybrid set into one that's only useful for Skyreach boosting.

Edited by Alucardo on July 20, 2021 5:27AM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never liked Pelinal's because it felt like it was missing a real 5-piece bonus. I have to agree that there are better sets out there but mainly because of the reason I mentioned.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental weapon exists and has very similar function and damage

So does Crushing Weapon, yet there's Crystal Weapon.

You know, Id' prefer class skills over generic ones anytime.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If everything was hybrid I wouldn't complain. What if you want to play as some kind of battle mage with S+B? The sword and board passive still only applies a weapon damage buff, not spell damage. It's just easier to focus on increasing your weapon damage and then slap on Pelinal's. I will admit, sets like Stuhn's are certainly helping.
    I'm just annoyed they are turning a nice hybrid set into one that's only useful for Skyreach boosting.

Medium gives spell damage on pts.
    Snb passive gives spell damage too.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They added spell damage to the sword and board passive, not sure when.

I have mixed feelings about making everything hybrid. I think it could be a good thing for build diversity.. but on the other hand, homogenization makes games boring to me. Part of what makes this game fun is making builds to me, and finding things that synergize. If every set and every passive is hybrid, you can just slap on whatever without much thought.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh awesome. I only read the initial PTS patch notes and it wasn't listed there. Glad to hear they added it.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch. That wound still hurts lol.

But seriously, I do run this on a non-pelinals hybrid with an inferno staff and it does a nice little chunk of damage. Will be even better next patch when I drop elemental ring for the major breaching crushing weapon :p
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can give a Physical Damage Air Atronach morph.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it on my unarmed guy, yes, your fists do get covered in crystals for maximum punching :D
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭

Actually, looks like they're trying some stuff in PTS for U31 right now:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/580491/update-31-combat-preview/p1
    ... Likely the biggest adjustment to an existing set is to Pelinal’s Aptitude, which will be changed to Pelinal’s Wrath, which now focuses on the blood lust this hero of lore succumbed to in their legacy left in Tamriel...

I have yet to check it out. Maybe it'll be useful again. I've kept most of my pieces for the set in case it becomes useful again someday.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have mixed feelings about making everything hybrid. I think it could be a good thing for build diversity.. but on the other hand, homogenization makes games boring to me. Part of what makes this game fun is making builds to me, and finding things that synergize. If every set and every passive is hybrid, you can just slap on whatever without much thought.

I don't agree. Right now, options are very limited for us hybrid players. And the game forces you to choose mag or stam play. All this does is open up more options. For min/maxers, there will always have to be conscious decisions made to reach the peak. Even for non-meta players, builds will still require thought put into them.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I don't agree. Right now, options are very limited for us hybrid players. And the game forces you to choose mag or stam play. All this does is open up more options. For min/maxers, there will always have to be conscious decisions made to reach the peak. Even for non-meta players, builds will still require thought put into them.

Most of the mundus stones are hybrid, dps bonuses on armor are hybrid, most of the racial bonuses are now hybrid, even orc and high elf, light attacks and ultimates now scale off your highest stat, CP stars are all hybrid,, plenty of sets give hybrid bonuses from top to bottom like new moon, ancient dragonguard, clever alchemist, assassins, axiom, shacklebreaker, diamonds victory, stuhns...

Its hard to think of things that aren't hybridized anymore. Jewelry enchants and attribute points are pretty much it. You still have to build for both spell and weapon buffs which can be challenging if you're solo. But hybrid builds should be challenging... otherwise what would be the point of pure builds?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the mundus stones are hybrid, dps bonuses on armor are hybrid, most of the racial bonuses are now hybrid, even orc and high elf, light attacks and ultimates now scale off your highest stat, CP stars are all hybrid,, plenty of sets give hybrid bonuses from top to bottom like new moon, ancient dragonguard, clever alchemist, assassins, axiom, shacklebreaker, diamonds victory, stuhns...

Its hard to think of things that aren't hybridized anymore. Jewelry enchants and attribute points are pretty much it. You still have to build for both spell and weapon buffs which can be challenging if you're solo. But hybrid builds should be challenging... otherwise what would be the point of pure builds?

Until we can put weapon/spell damage glyphs on jewelry that have the same potency as a single type, a pure build will always outperform.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll take it

Honest question: why does making a physical damage air atronach matter anymore?

I mean:
    Ultimates already scale with the better of damage and stat types, as well as crit chance.
    Basically all the pen sources are now hybrid (outside of a few sets like spriggans) so spell pen is likely the same as physical pen.
    We no longer have cp that boost physical only or magical only damage.

So given all that, how does making a physical version of atronach actually make it any more effective for a stam build? (Outside of some specific sets like spriggans, automaton etc)
    Or is there something else I am forgetting?

Apart from thematically, which is probably a reasonable enough reason.
    Edited by ExistingRug61 on July 28, 2021 12:57PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it

I mean:
    Ultimates already scale with the better of damage and stat types, as well as crit chance.
    Basically all the pen sources are now hybrid (outside of a few sets like spriggans) so spell pen is likely the same as physical pen.

So given all that, how does making a physical version of atronach actually make it any more effective for a stam build? (Outside of some specific sets like spriggans, automaton etc)

While it does scale off your highest damage stat, I noticed your resource pools actually matter for certain ultimates too (atro I'm not 100% sure). So having a higher stam pool makes certain physical damage ults hit harder.
    And yeah, thematically it'd just be really sweet.

Edited by Alucardo on July 28, 2021 1:37PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it

I mean:

@ExistingRug61 Its getting very close to not mattering, but at this point there are still a few asymmetrical bonuses. Tremorscale still removes 2.4k Physical Resistance only, and some sets like Tzogvin or Kragh give 1.5k Physical Penetration.

I’ve always pictured an Air Atro ult filling a much different function as well. The Storm Atro is long duration, sustained, single target damage. The Air Atro could be short duration, AoE burst. Picture Ra Kotu’s spin in HRC. This would be a great addition to the stam sorc toolkit, mirroring something like Fiery Rage, with more AoE damage than Dawnbreaker or Negate.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder that hybrid builds are not the purpose of this topic :neutral: just an adaptive, hybrid Crystal Weapon that costs stamina and deals physical damage if your stamina is higher than magicka or costs magicka and deals magical damage if your magicka is higher instead.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll take it

I mean:

@ExistingRug61 Its getting very close to not mattering, but at this point there are still a few asymmetrical bonuses. Tremorscale still removes 2.4k Physical Resistance only, and some sets like Tzogvin or Kragh give 1.5k Physical Penetration.

I’ve always pictured an Air Atro ult filling a much different function as well. The Storm Atro is long duration, sustained, single target damage. The Air Atro could be short duration, AoE burst. Picture Ra Kotu’s spin in HRC. This would be a great addition to the stam sorc toolkit, mirroring something like Fiery Rage, with more AoE damage than Dawnbreaker or Negate.

Ah yes forgot that a couple of meta sets include those single phys pen lines that exist, thanks. So it might still matter slightly depending on the build and group.

But yeah making it a different function with a thematic difference would certainly be cool.

And also because we are so close to the damage type not actually mattering, it would remain an option for mag sorc too even if it was physical.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take it

I mean:

Ah yes forgot that a couple of meta sets include those single phys pen lines that exist, thanks. So it might still matter slightly depending on the build and group.

But yeah making it a different function with a thematic difference would certainly be cool.

And also because we are so close to the damage type not actually mattering, it would remain an option for mag sorc too even if it was physical.

Good point. And it’s easier for Mag to reach the Physical Pen cap than the Spell Pen cap. Could be good, but it would be competing with the destro ult and shooting star, and leave the user without a good single target ult.
  • Faint_One
    Faint_One
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather decrease fragment damage and make it to cast instant