Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Researching traits

iggysword
iggysword
Once a trait is researched does it become a skill or an item? In other words I'm trying to craft my first set of gear it says I have 3 traits for greaves. Once I use them are they gone? And will need to be researched again?
Also I am using the addon auto research. Is this good to use when you are starting out? Or should I try to manually research traits that I need? Thanks

Best Answers

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you will have them forever. You don't "use" up traits as you make gear.

I don't know how the add-on works (I had my traits done long before that add-on existed)

I just went down the line, to make things easier to keep track of personally.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You might have multiple items that have the same trait.

To make the crafted "named" sets you need to have traits researched. For an example, you need two traits to make the Ashen Grip gear. That's 2 traits for each piece you want to make. It's nice to be able to make a full set of training, or divines, but as long as you have two traits learned, you can make the set. Once you learn a trait, its learned. You lose the item you researched, but your character knows the trait.

If you're in a good guild, you can probably ask a crafter to make trait items for you to research. Start with the traits you want to use first. Mostly because the first traits research quickly. Each trait you research for a piece of gear is about double the time of the last one. The 9th trait takes about 30 days.
    Answer ✓
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iggysword wrote: »
    Once a trait is researched does it become a skill or an item? In other words I'm trying to craft my first set of gear it says I have 3 traits for greaves. Once I use them are they gone? And will need to be researched again?
    Also I am using the addon auto research. Is this good to use when you are starting out? Or should I try to manually research traits that I need? Thanks

As mentioned, once you learn a trait it is avilable forever on that character.

I use the Mod Auto Research to help me manage it (I am still working on my last few traits). You can set the priority of what traits to research, and it also has a default, and it makes sure you keep your research slots going. You will want to make sure you invest Skill Points to increase your research slots to 3 (doesn't work for Jewelry) and reduce your time. I maybe could have been a little better, but it is going to take me close to a year to get all of my research done. so you want to be on top of it. You can also use a mod called FCO Item Saver to "lock" gear you are setting aside for research so that you don't accidentally deconstruct it.

Since you are new, and I assume yo ware also doing daily crafting writs, I am going to say to make sure you go to Alinor in Summerset if you can and train for the Jewelry one. Nothing really points you to it, and I played the game for months before I found it existed.

Best of luck.
    Thank you for the advice. I didn't know you can set a priority in Auto Research. I will look into that.
    Somehow I already discovered Alinor and found it's a good area for crafting. I appreciated you mentioning that.
    I also am coming to believe in this game (only playing for 2 weeks) either you craft or you don't. So as far as skill points I agree and are thinking of eventually respecing the character I'm playing who is almost at level 25 to a dedicated crafter. Then create a new main character. Right now I'm trying to get as many skill points as I can before I switch.

As you collect enough skyshards, do more main zone quests, do more dungeons, there will be enough skill points to be able to have your main crafter also be your main character. That said, it does take some time to collect enough skill points to be able to do so.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
    Answer ✓
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't really have to switch. You will end up with more than enough points to max all the crafting and do anything else you want to do. Especially once you finish your research; you can respec those points that let you research more than one thing at a time.
    Answer ✓
  • iggysword
    iggysword
    Thank You very much. It's a bit confusing starting out. If I'm looking to craft light gear I probably don't need medium traits right now I guess. One item of gear at the bottom says I have 2 of the same trait. Still trying to figure that out.
  • iggysword
    iggysword
    JKorr wrote: »
    You might have multiple items that have the same trait.

To make the crafted "named" sets you need to have traits researched. For an example, you need two traits to make the Ashen Grip gear. That's 2 traits for each piece you want to make. It's nice to be able to make a full set of training, or divines, but as long as you have two traits learned, you can make the set. Once you learn a trait, its learned. You lose the item you researched, but your character knows the trait.

If you're in a good guild, you can probably ask a crafter to make trait items for you to research. Start with the traits you want to use first. Mostly because the first traits research quickly. Each trait you research for a piece of gear is about double the time of the last one. The 9th trait takes about 30 days.
    Thanks for the helpful info. I just started playing recently and probably not ready to join a guild. I'm thinking of turning off the auto research addon for now and try to research training or divines first if I can from drops.

• maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭

I use the Mod Auto Research to help me manage it (I am still working on my last few traits). You can set the priority of what traits to research, and it also has a default, and it makes sure you keep your research slots going. You will want to make sure you invest Skill Points to increase your research slots to 3 (doesn't work for Jewelry) and reduce your time. I maybe could have been a little better, but it is going to take me close to a year to get all of my research done. so you want to be on top of it. You can also use a mod called FCO Item Saver to "lock" gear you are setting aside for research so that you don't accidentally deconstruct it.

Since you are new, and I assume yo ware also doing daily crafting writs, I am going to say to make sure you go to Alinor in Summerset if you can and train for the Jewelry one. Nothing really points you to it, and I played the game for months before I found it existed.

Best of luck.
  • iggysword
    iggysword

Best of luck.
    Thank you for the advice. I didn't know you can set a priority in Auto Research. I will look into that.
    Somehow I already discovered Alinor and found it's a good area for crafting. I appreciated you mentioning that.
    I also am coming to believe in this game (only playing for 2 weeks) either you craft or you don't. So as far as skill points I agree and are thinking of eventually respecing the character I'm playing who is almost at level 25 to a dedicated crafter. Then create a new main character. Right now I'm trying to get as many skill points as I can before I switch.