The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

To everyone getting scammed...

xv1_me
xv1_me
✭✭✭
Almost every legit crown seller will send crowns first, then you send the gold. If you can’t find one to agree to this right away, relax, crown store items are not life and death. You will find someone to accommodate you if you keep trying.

People will say “real money is more important”

Just tell them “no thank you, I’m not getting robbed today” and move on asking for someone else.

You WILL find someone.

Enjoy.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crowns are expensive, so I'd prefer to ask for the gold first before parting with my hard earned cash. Don't like it? Go earn your own money and buy your own crowns.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Yup. My response to that if you told me in game @Alucardo would be “Thank you anyway”
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xv1_me wrote: »
    Yup. My response to that if you told me in game @Alucardo would be “Thank you anyway”

Exactly

Edited by Gilvoth on June 30, 2021 5:02PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your response to everyone getting scammed is for every single person to ask the other side to send first, then there won't be any trades anymore. You do realize that one side has to send second, even using your suggestion. One side is always open to being scammed.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    If your response to everyone getting scammed is for every single person to ask the other side to send first, then there won't be any trades anymore. You do realize that one side has to send second, even using your suggestion. One side is always open to being scammed.

Well yeah that’s a sure fire way to not get scammed but majority of legit crown sellers send first. That is my point. Not if you are a crown seller. But sure, same principle applies. There will always be someone to agree to the trade first just gotta find em.
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that’s definitely not my experience and I’ve been a crown seller for a hot minute with TCE and independently. Gold gets exchanged and then the crown item is gifted. It’s easier with a broker but gold always gets exchanged first. I would much rather be scammed out of gold then crowns which I paid ACTUAL money for…
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost every legit crown seller will send crowns first, then you send the gold. If you can’t find one to agree to this right away, relax, crown store items are not life and death. You will find someone to accommodate you if you keep trying.

Just tell them “no thank you, I’m not getting robbed today” and move on asking for someone else.

You WILL find someone.

Enjoy.

Sorry, but that's BS. People are getting scammed both ways, and the most secure way (though not 100%) is to use a middleman.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My crowns are real money. Your gold is pixelated money. Who should worry the most about being scammed? I would never send crowns first unless I knew and trusted the buyer.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tradable Crown tokens should be added to the Crown Store.
    Like other MMOs have done.
    You redeem it and get Crowns or 1 month eso plus.
    PS | EU
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been sending half gold payment up front and half after receiving the crown gift. This spreads the risk between the buyer and seller.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been sending half gold payment up front and half after receiving the crown gift. This spreads the risk between the buyer and seller.

Well, a true scammer would not mind going away with half the gold if he did not spend any crowns... that's the problem. It divides the risk, it does not spread it.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭

You WILL find someone.

Enjoy.

Sorry, but that's BS. People are getting scammed both ways, and the most secure way (though not 100%) is to use a middleman.

How is it bs? Don’t send first don’t get scammed. Easy.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn’t even do that.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    My crowns are real money. Your gold is pixelated money. Who should worry the most about being scammed? I would never send crowns first unless I knew and trusted the buyer.

That’s the beauty of it. There are MANY people that send crowns first. It’s not really a real money or pixelated issue, people that spend their time farming gold would not wanna lose it just as much as you wouldn’t wanna lose real money.
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, a true scammer would not mind going away with half the gold if he did not spend any crowns... that's the problem. It divides the risk, it does not spread it.

In my mind, spreading and dividing means the same thing in this context. The risk burden is shared by the seller since it is also possible for the buyer to not pay the second half amount after receiving the gift.

I agree, the problem of being scammed still exists. But it will be halved and shared between buyer and seller.
    Edited by Viewsfrom6ix on June 30, 2021 10:20PM
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Crowns are expensive, so I'd prefer to ask for the gold first before parting with my hard earned cash. Don't like it? Go earn your own money and buy your own crowns.

Why spend real money when we have millions of gold we can spend?
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a shame that there still isn't a system in place that facilitates a better crown to gold trading system.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    It's a shame that there still isn't a system in place that facilitates a better crown to gold trading system.

I think that’s the same reason they don’t refund people who get scammed. They don’t condone crown trading.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You WILL find someone.

Enjoy.

Yup. They go first. If I am going to be exchanging Crown goods for gold, and I hold the Crowns, then I'd better see the gold or thet can go find someone else to buy Crown stuff from.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah after being scammed a few times I only buy from guidlies.....
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    NoSoup wrote: »
    yeah after being scammed a few times I only buy from guidlies.....

Guildies can scam too. They don’t care about getting kicked from a guild.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    See the gold, @Elsonso ? As in showing you the gold in the trade window?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So one way someone can scam for gold and the other way someone can scam for crowns. So the validity of the suggestion being made is really an opinion that is based on scope.

Why do people trust complete strangers?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »

I think that’s the same reason they don’t refund people who get scammed. They don’t condone crown trading.

They do refund people who get scammed. I know it because it happened to me. I asked nicely (not demanding), it was the first time, I provided enough details and proof, and they refunded me. Stating they would only do it ONCE.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

I see two potential reasons here :

- Because in an MMO basically everyone is a complete stranger apart from the few guildies you may know closer and/or by real name,
    - Because when you need to buy crowns for gold, you may not have a crown seller among your few trusted friends or guildies.

I use middleman services (from the Discord crown services). It's as safe as it can get. Else the only alternative is to buy crowns for cash and not for gold.

That being said, it's worth mentioning that NOT ALL strangers are scammers. Many of them are genuine.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 1, 2021 4:40AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the problem of being scammed still exists. But it will be halved and shared between buyer and seller.

Buyer can send "half the gold" but seller cannot (usually) send "half the gift".
    Anyway, half the risk is still a big risk and it's still a scam leaving a big frustration.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's BS because if everyone follows your advice (do not send first, let the other party send first), then no crowns-gold trading can take place at all. None.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

I see two potential reasons here :

- Because in an MMO basically everyone is a complete stranger apart from the few guildies you may know closer and/or by real name,
    - Because when you need to buy crowns for gold, you may not have a crown seller among your few trusted friends or guildies.

I use middleman services (from the Discord crown services). It's as safe as it can get. Else the only alternative is to buy crowns for cash and not for gold.

That being said, it's worth mentioning that NOT ALL strangers are scammers. Many of them are genuine.

I would suggest that no one "needs" to buy crowns as you suggest. That is very much a "want". However, I would certainly concede that using a "trusted" third party to manage the trade makes much more sense than what is suggested in this thread.

And of course, most players are not scammers. However, how does one tell the difference between someone that is genuine and one that is not?

I have never seen a game that lacked a reasonably secure way to trade cash shop items. We should be able to purchase an item and sell it via the trading system. If someone chose to go outside of the trading system and "trust" a stranger then that would be on them.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    Yeah that’s definitely not my experience and I’ve been a crown seller for a hot minute with TCE and independently. Gold gets exchanged and then the crown item is gifted. It’s easier with a broker but gold always gets exchanged first. I would much rather be scammed out of gold then crowns which I paid ACTUAL money for…

To be perfectly accurate, if you spend cash for crowns and then crowns for gold, it pretty equals to having spent cash for gold ;-)
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭

It's BS because if everyone follows your advice (do not send first, let the other party send first), then no crowns-gold trading can take place at all. None.

That isn’t what I said. I said majority of legit crown sellers send first.