The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hard to get back into the game after an ARPG binge - lack of build diversity

• alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a hyrbid, you will enjoy the game more if you're bored.

And before anyone says "but hybrids are bad" there is no content in the game my templar and DK ones haven't completed.

Granted, using hybrids has accumulated over 150 gold staves and an unknown amount of gear that gets sidelined every patch because of overall balance shifts...

It isn't even about boredom. It is just near ridiculous to try to play as a full on tank in overland content. Heck, often even in dungs. :-(

Tanks and Heals are close to useless these days, especially when Bastian and Mirri can do the job in all but the hardest dungs, or in raids. And to be a tank just for raids is also meh, because every group just needs on or max two tanks, meaning that there is rarely a real lack of tanks (unless the group is so toxic that all tanks flee asap). :-/
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chelo wrote: »
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    Chelo wrote: »
    ... PvE is basically a math game and when people figure it out, that's it...

Everyone! Welcome to Elder Test-Dummies Online.

Where people will kick you from a group in a normal dungeon unless you are pulling 30k on your tank character "because my buddy in my guild does it all the time for us."

Well like it or not, that's PvE... Just figure the math and execute it. That's how high level end game PvE works.

Metrics revolve around the pros, not around the casuals. ZO$ nerf/buff stuff based on High Skill Players performance. That's how most games works, because high skill players set an example of what can be done with the optimal circumstances.

And I'm assuming high skill players know PvE mechanics even better than their real life jobs, so they will be pulling the highest possible damage without dying, every single time.

The high end game requires a team that is fully on board knows their role and executes that role with a certain level of precision. It’s not any one person working well, it’s coordination of 12 people working together and bringing the right tools for the job. Some trials I enter carrying 3 sets for the body, 2 monster sets, and 3 sets of staves. Our DPS have setups like supports do for specific parts of the content. We know it well, we still make mistakes.

Compare that to my real life job of warehouse coordinator, which I know way better than ESO and execute with way more precision. I have different lifts for different parts of my warehouse. Different tools for different jobs, coordination of significantly more than a dozen people (we can have as many as 200 on our floor at one time.) The biggest difference, zero room for error, also nobody dies! Errors in my business have tragic results.

You can see how it all relates. The tools even evolve over time in both the real world and the gaming world. Even the tactics change in the real world like new layouts and tragic patterns on our floor. The game is the same. Everything is the same!
  • Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stevie6 wrote: »
    The Devs need to put a disclaimer on ESO. It's really only for those individuals that have the finger dexterity and weaving down to a science in order to do greats amount of damage per second.

I said it since the start, this game could be a phenomenal eSport but Devs don't focus on PvP. They create one of the most (if not the most) intense combat systems in MMO history. PvP is basically a Fighting Game + CSGO + Elder Scrolls.

And this all happened by mistake. They didn't mean to make combat so fast paced, focused on actions per minute like a moba, but it is what it is. They embrace it. Now we only need full PvP support, but I think it will never happen because the target audience are casual players.

I've try a lot of MMOs before and after this one. But I never found a combat system like this one.
  • tzaeru
    tzaeru
    ✭✭
    The Devs need to put a disclaimer on ESO. It's really only for those individuals that have the finger dexterity and weaving down to a science in order to do greats amount of damage per second. I'm a disabled, low scrub solo player without any hope of doing sustainable dps. The old magsorc pet build pre Morrowind worked for individuals such as myself in the past along with the OLD Iceheart set.

Admittedly this is something I often don't think of myself, since I'm a fairly competitive player who likes to take things pretty far in terms of gameplay pace and difficulty.

ESO's attack weaving system and the requirement to swap between two skill sets (well, I suppose that in story content that isn't needed) do add a bit of extra juggling, which I imagine can be troublesome if one has any physical disabilities.
    The server is just so laggy. GW2, I don't have a server lag issue. The skills fire off and no problems. So, it makes me think there is a hardware or software issue that exists within the ESO server. The devs response is always the same...IT"S YOU. lol.

Might also be server locations. ESO has only two server clusters, and if you happen to live far off from them, well - tough luck. e.g. if the servers were in LA, and you lived in Ottawa, that would definitely be adding some latency.
    If ZOS wants money from the casual player base and keep casual players, they should consider three different server modes: Easy, Normal, and Hard (including hard mode).

I suppose this is always super tricky with MMOs, since you're trying to balance a game for thousands of players who may or may not be playing together.

Splitting the servers according to difficulty would lead to longer queue times for dungeons and would mean less people to interact with. Less chance that someone is doing the same world bosses or the same public dungeon. Etc. Prolly it's not workable.