Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

XP gain lag/stutter is back

vivisectvib16_ESO
vivisectvib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
PS4/5 NA. Blackwood update has brought back the periodic micro pausing whenever a skill gains XP. Same with companions. Will this be fixed with the enhanced edition? It's getting very aggravating to deal with.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've submitted a bug report, though I did not get an email confirmation. In any event, below is a video of the issue in action. 4s in, just as the centurion is killed.

https://youtu.be/OYS4jCB7u1o

Also, I've tried deleting my save file, and my connection is a-ok.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_MattFiror

And for historical reference, here is my previous video on this issue prior to it being fixed the first time, about 10 months ago.

https://youtu.be/a15keGgZFrM
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on June 8, 2021 10:30PM
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Further experimentation with this.. while it still happens occasionally, there is a marked reduction as to how often if my companion is un-summoned, so I feel like the companion XP gain is what is causing this issue.

Any other PS4/5 players having this issue?

Can ZOS confirm that my bug report was received? I never did receive an email confirmation.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apologies for posting so many times in a row - but I've got a bit more thorough video of this issue. Timestamps + video below.

Again, on PlayStation NA here, and my PS4 and PS5 are both launch editions, and are hardwired / not using Wifi, and I'm on a 145mbps download and 15mbps upload connection. I've deleted the save data and have also reinstalled the game. All of my ports are forwarded as per the usual recommendations that ZOS has shared previously.

If this were a thing that happened once in a while, I wouldn't be so annoyed with it and would be able to ignore it.. but it happens so often that it's impossible to ignore. I just want confirmation that it's a known issue and that it's being looked into - or even better, to be solved with the Enhanced Version for PS5 at the very least. Thank you!
    • 0:10 - when fighting Briarheart
    • 0:26 - immediately after gaining XP from killing another Briarheart
    • 0:38 - when crossing the bridge to Nighthollow Keep - note that the stutter occurs immediately when the "Nighthollow Keep" text pops up in the upper right corner
    • 0:48 - when fighting Wispmother
    • 1:06 - when crossing bridge to Markarth wayshrine
    • 1:19 - during Dolmen fighting
    • 1:36 - in the Lion's Den public dungeon

https://youtu.be/9FfpfpKmuas

CC: @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_MattFiror
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is what happened to me last night. Went into skyreach with my companion and pulled one side. At around 1.4k xp for my companion the game started lagging and then crashed.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I wonder if this is what happened to me last night. Went into skyreach with my companion and pulled one side. At around 1.4k xp for my companion the game started lagging and then crashed.

Could very well be related! I've noticed most of all when XP gain is happening, especially XP related to skills that aren't yet maxed out. Thinking that since these companions are now blank slates for XP, could very well be one of the reasons this is rearing its head again.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Our help article linked below offers different troubleshooting you can try for latency and stutter issues while playing ESO.

Latency / Lag - Technical Support - The Elder Scrolls Online
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    Our help article linked below offers different troubleshooting you can try for latency and stutter issues while playing ESO.

Latency / Lag - Technical Support - The Elder Scrolls Online

Thanks @ZOS_BillE - I've actually tried these already as noted above, and I do not think it is related to the users internet connection. This issue seems to be a resurgence of the XP issue we had last June (2020).

See your post here:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6820058/#Comment_6820058

..which points to a post made by @ZOS_JessicaFolsom about this being a known issue:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6812471/#Comment_6812471

Any chance we can get this investigated again? Or at least confirmation as to whether the Enhanced edition of ESO will fix this performance issue?
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same issue for me on ps5 - absolutely crazy. Every few Seconds my screen freeze for 1-2 Seconds. Ist almost unplayable...
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing this on the enhanced PS5 version on performance mode and have yet to experience this issue. Anyone else?

Starting to think it was a PS4 hardware limitation this entire time. 🤦
    Edited by vivisectvib16_ESO on June 16, 2021 2:09AM
  • SimsVTC
    SimsVTC
    ✭✭
    Been playing this on the enhanced PS5 version on performance mode and have yet to experience this issue. Anyone else?

Starting to think it was a PS4 hardware limitation this entire time. 🤦

Yep, not experienced XP stutter on native PS5 version.
  • celner4_ESO
    celner4_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I’m getting occasional lag spikes that I rarely ever got before Blackwood, anywhere from 1 sec studders to 5-10sec lag spike/freeze. Also the controls seem laggy/delayed as well not responsive without a delay. Ps4 pro here. Not my ISP or internet hardware as I’m running at around 10ping 59latency in 3 other mmos I play where I experience no lag issues. Hope this is up there as a priority I almost rather a performance update for lag down the road then another expansion, any expansion for that matter.

I’d like to point out no skills on my bar that I’m leveling and no companion. Plenty of space on my ps4 pro almost 1T free space and it’s brand new (1month old) to which other online games on my ps4 such as BF4, FFonline etc play fine.
    Edited by celner4_ESO on June 21, 2021 9:14PM
    What is Truth? Not my own truth, and not your truth. But Universal Truth, that is an absolution.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone who has went through the latency troubleshooting and still has this issue, please go ahead and open a ticket with customer support so they can investigate.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • NYKtillDeath5391
    NYKtillDeath5391
    Soul Shriven
    I am also playing eso on a PS4 Pro whilst getting these occasional stutters. As some in this thread have already said, sometimes it’s for a second or sometimes I think my games going to freeze. However, it doesn’t and it just ends up being a big scare. This doesn’t happen in any of my other games either, and I play other MMO’s too. Games like FF and BDO. I also play pseudo MMO’s like Fallout 76, which I’m surprised to say is running better than eso right now.

This wasn’t happening to me before the Blackwood patch. I’ve tried everything to try and remedy it as well. Things I’ve tried include power cycling my system, clearing the cache, factory reset (pain in the butt), putting eso on an ssd, lowering the amount of space used on my hard drive, opening all the ports, I bought a new router, I changed the Ethernet cable, all this to get the game to run well. All that money spent and no good results on my end. I mean, my internet speed is always at a steady 200 megabytes. The only thing I didn’t do was buy a new PS4 pro.

Is that what it’s going to take though? How long am I going to have to trouble shoot before it’s your problem? I was even watching other players stream this game on PS4, on twitch a couple times. The same thing was happening to them, but they thought it was lag. Little do they know though. You guys really need to look into this and not gloss over it like these are isolated incidents. I really think more people aren’t complaining, because they simply don’t understand what’s happening to them. It’s really unfortunate.
    Edited by NYKtillDeath5391 on June 23, 2021 7:27AM
  • NYKtillDeath5391
    NYKtillDeath5391
    Soul Shriven
    Just here to confirm that this is still happening to me after today’s patch on PS4 Pro. Was really hoping the maintenance would take care of it😔.
  • NYKtillDeath5391
    NYKtillDeath5391
    Soul Shriven
    Just here to say that today’s update did not address the problems people are having detailed in this thread.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glad to see others reporting this - I've been experiencing XP gains stutters as well.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still happening as of July 22, 2021. C'mon, ZOS. You're better than this!
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."