The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

About Lag on PC-EU

Icy_Nelyan
Icy_Nelyan
✭✭✭
Just to know, am I the only one that since the U30 have a ping which at most is 240 when it is good and low? Now it's days that I have a very high ping most of the time regardless PvE, PvP, time of the day.

Mostly my ping jump from something around 230 to something around 500 and sometimes is shot to 999+ too.

It's just me or anyone else on PC-EU have this crappy performance? I'm asking because I never had such horrible performances on ESO, nothing (from my side at least, being the only user connected to my router, keep most of the software which uses band width closed, and more) seems to fix this problem, so anyone else have high pings like me?

Best Answer

• Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the problem isn't with the ESO server per se, but with a connection, an intermediary server, between you and the eso

still, not our problem, but theirs
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
    Answer ✓
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't know what to say here mate. I seldom go over 100 ping, usually about 60-80.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    Ok it's 100% an ESO problem since I've tryed to login today and After 2 attempts I found myself have a 999+ ping, so I decided to test on a different game (League of Legends) and my ping there was between 40 to 48.

So do you know something I can do to know what's the problem since none answer here so I suppose none have my problem?

PS: inside task manager checking what Is using my connection with only ESO open, obviously there are Just a couple of Windows processes (which I already searched for and are core Windows processes like gamemenuinterface 9or something like this) and then ESO with some svchost.exe(which Is a Windows process too), so there are no connection problem or unwanted software which runs Independently (like malware, spyware, virus). As a plus my Brother (which has a different provider) has ping issue too; in the end, I never had any Port opened for ESO (so no firewall was setup ever) and has no problem before U30.

Please help me
    Edited by Icy_Nelyan on June 8, 2021 12:18PM
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy_Nelyan wrote: »
    Just to know, am I the only one that since the U30 have a ping which at most is 240 when it is good and low? Now it's days that I have a very high ping most of the time regardless PvE, PvP, time of the day.

Mostly my ping jump from something around 230 to something around 500 and sometimes is shot to 999+ too.

It's just me or anyone else on PC-EU have this crappy performance? I'm asking because I never had such horrible performances on ESO, nothing (from my side at least, being the only user connected to my router, keep most of the software which uses band width closed, and more) seems to fix this problem, so anyone else have high pings like me?

Actually depending on where you are in the game world, this erm this is pretty normal and has been for years.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    xeNNNNN wrote: »

Actually depending on where you are in the game world, this erm this is pretty normal and has been for years.

I understand Blackwood Is AN off-limits zone for now, but Also in the Rift? I have issues everywhere, from Cyrodill to IC sewers, inside battlegrounds or delve, in Blackwood and summerset. Everywhere spikes which makes the game impossible to be played
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) It's just me or anyone else on PC-EU have this crappy performance? (...)
    My average ping didn't change after U30 release.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    (...) It's just me or anyone else on PC-EU have this crappy performance? (...)
    My average ping didn't change after U30 release.

Same. it's around 90, it was like that, it stays like that, doesn't matter where in the game world am I. Did Rockgrove last weekend, doing Blackwood story right now. Also, I do not live anywhere near Frankfurt.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't change much after U30. When I load in to any zone I need to wait 2-3 minutes before ping stabilizes, it starts with 999+, going down to 90-120 and stays in that range. Also FPS jumps from initial 80+ when loading into zone, then dropping to something like... 3, then again 120, then 6-10 and after several minutes it's fine. Not my problem, ESO problem because their optimalization is non-existant.
    Anyways, lag as usual. Group content in overland is mostly a sad joke re. performance, I don't even see mobs at times in harrowstorms so I just put some ground AoE so it hits anything so I can have harrowstorm "completed".
    I wonder how much more we need to pay to finally get good performance. Like, investing in hardware and software should be priority for company like that, and especially if they jump high because more people play so they potentially earn more. Cool but more people = more load on servers, perhaps - dunno, just guessing - better server could bring better performance... and more people... and more money... :F
    Edited by khyrkat on June 8, 2021 12:56PM
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    khyrkat wrote: »
    Didn't change much after U30. When I load in to any zone I need to wait 2-3 minutes before ping stabilizes, it starts with 999+, going down to 90-120 and stays in that range. Also FPS jumps from initial 80+ when loading into zone, then dropping to something like... 3, then again 120, then 6-10 and after several minutes it's fine. Not my problem, ESO problem because their optimalization is non-existant.
    Anyways, lag as usual. Group content in overland is mostly a sad joke re. performance, I don't even see mobs at times in harrowstorms so I just put some ground AoE so it hits anything so I can have harrowstorm "completed".
    I wonder how much more we need to pay to finally get good performance. Like, investing in hardware and software should be priority for company like that, and especially if they jump high because more people play so they potentially earn more. Cool but more people = more load on servers, perhaps - dunno, just guessing - better server could bring better performance... and more people... and more money... :F

So It seems to be because of overpopulated game, they said they would installare new servers but I donno when It Will happen.

Anyway thanks everyone, It Is AN ESO problem, but not a server problem does It seems, it's Just because there are too manu people everywhere. I'm in Hew's Bane right now and ping seems stable and the game Is very playable. Thank You so much in helping me find out what was causing that problem
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭
    So It seems to be because of overpopulated game, they said they would installare new servers but I donno when It Will happen.

Anyway thanks everyone, It Is AN ESO problem, but not a server problem does It seems, it's Just because there are too manu people everywhere. I'm in Hew's Bane right now and ping seems stable and the game Is very playable. Thank You so much in helping me find out what was causing that problem

They said something about new servers some time ago with additional comment that this will not neccessarily improve performance, it was on some twitch stream, can't recall when exactly, around Flames of Ambition DLC release I think. Still, my loading screens seem shorter so at least that's progress. Got used to waiting till everything loads in when I port to new map.
    As a side note, one could predict that more people playing on server will make server heavy loaded and to make playing comfortable, server owner could, you know, invest in it a bit, from what they get from people playing, like money thing, dunno... Sorry, just using logic, it's so cruel lol With all that salt I still love the game and now excuse me but Bastian said he would like to see Summerset, gotta show him the world eh? XD

Edited by khyrkat on June 8, 2021 1:16PM
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    kind of start to wonder what's happening again with acami/telia...
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got the same problem my ping after the update from the usual 80-100 on eso is now 240+ with random lag spikes.

Restarting the router seem to help for a bit and then return to get lag,only on ESO tho every other game i play i have 40-48 MS.

i thought it was only me having this issue since no one was saying anything,not sure what the problem is,also today i can't even connect in game and the only time i could the first loading screen kicked me out.

Edited by killingspreeb16_ESO on June 8, 2021 1:28PM
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm that. My ping jumped up to 500 while I was furnishing during the first couple of days since U30 dropped. Right now guild store, bank, and even NPC vendors lag. I live in Eastern Europe. Guess we should move closer to the datacenter, OP :wink:

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 4, 2021 6:40PM
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same problem my ping after the update from the usual 80-100 on eso is now 240+ with random lag spikes.

Restarting the router seem to help for a bit and then return to get lag,only on ESO tho every other game i play i have 40-48 MS.

i thought it was only me having this issue since no one was saying anything,not sure what the problem is,also today i can't even connect in game and the only time i could the first loading screen kicked me out.

Actually I found the ping Is higher from U30, in many many Place I have spikes of lag, my ping seems Crazy and in many zones Is litterally unplayable. I have found that in zones where the population Is way lower the ping Is way betterbut still High, in example:
    - inside Blackwood my ping Is ALWAYS between 600 and 999+, very rarely It goes down to something laggy but playable like 250;
    - inside stonefalls my ping goes from 200 to 500 and never get out from this range;
    - in Hew's Bane my ping Is between 90 and 130;
    - in battlegrounds my ping goes from 90 to 350 without any reason;
    - in IC sometime Is stable on 120, sometime Is stable around 400

I Guess the problem Is the population on old servers which can't handle so much many concorrenti people in the same zone.

Anyway the ping genrally Is higher then before, at least to me.
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭

Only ESO gives me BSOD's or random freezes when I have to force close system.
    And I really haven't experienced that poor performance (and lack of any care for it to get better from studio side) for my whole MMO playing carreer (20+ years).
    Edited by khyrkat on June 8, 2021 1:38PM
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    I Always run smoothly in every game (MMO and others genre alike), Also ESO never had any problema before, now a lot of zones and activities became a "No access" to me, Is litterally impossible to play in some contents/zones.
  • khyrkat
    khyrkat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I Always run smoothly in every game (MMO and others genre alike), Also ESO never had any problema before, now a lot of zones and activities became a "No access" to me, Is litterally impossible to play in some contents/zones.

Remember Tribunal Celebration event? Clockwork City unplayable? Go there now, ghost town, ping 50, 120 FPS, butter smooth :D
    It all boils down to one thing: if devs want us to play their game, the game has to be playable. It's brutally simple and yet amazingly difficult to understand it seems. That being said, we don't know what they do to improve, if they do anything and what are their plans. They don't have to tell us, even though it would be really nice to know since we are users of their product.
    Edited by khyrkat on June 8, 2021 1:45PM
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    Actually this Is First Time since game First launch I have ping problems, during tribunal celebration I had no problem at all in clockwork city while doin dailies; now (today) Is already 5 times that game kick me out and After 3/4 attempts to reconnect It gets me in the world with 999+ ping which After some minutes goes down to 340 and then After some minutes to 120, and this Is in Hew's Bane.

No, I never experienced a crappy performance like this and this Is happening only when I play ESO, in other games everything run smooth and lag free from my side.

I Guess Is because overpopulation but anyway my lag Is genrally higher then before U30.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    khyrkat wrote: »

Only ESO gives me BSOD's or random freezes when I have to force close system.
    And I really haven't experienced that poor performance (and lack of any care for it to get better from studio side) for my whole MMO playing carreer (20+ years).

i mean yeah ESO performance was on the lower end for years now but before the update i could play atleast not the best performance but it did work,now all the time with 240 ms and not even stable.

Alredy made a ticket they suggested few things to do and not to my suurprise nothing helped /shrug.

Edited by killingspreeb16_ESO on June 8, 2021 1:53PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually this Is First Time since game First launch I have ping problems, during tribunal celebration I had no problem at all in clockwork city while doin dailies; now (today) Is already 5 times that game kick me out and After 3/4 attempts to reconnect It gets me in the world with 999+ ping which After some minutes goes down to 340 and then After some minutes to 120, and this Is in Hew's Bane.

No, I never experienced a crappy performance like this and this Is happening only when I play ESO, in other games everything run smooth and lag free from my side.

I Guess Is because overpopulation but anyway my lag Is genrally higher then before U30.

There have been network problems affecting a hop one or two short of the EU server in Germany. A number of players reported it, including several from Italy, although the problem hop was actually in Germany if I remember correctly. and the ISP(s) re-routing the data fixed it. Where are you playing from?

That is typical of network issues, and of course other games not using that data route will be running smoothly. The fact that ESO is the only game not running well doesn't not make it a server or ZOS issue necessarily.

You could therefore try a traceroute to the server. It may indeed be a server or ZOS issue but other things can be eliminated (or confirmed) by things like traceroutes.
    Edited by Tandor on June 8, 2021 3:03PM
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    kind of start to wonder what's happening again with acami/telia...

EU last IPs - telia - https://www.telecomramblings.com/2021/06/telia-carrier-goes-independent/ (so -may be).

but still can't find why i have problems with akamai on NA servrer.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

There have been network problems affecting a hop one or two short of the EU server in Germany. A number of players reported it, including several from Italy, although the problem hop was actually in Germany if I remember correctly. and the ISP(s) re-routing the data fixed it. Where are you playing from?

That is typical of network issues, and of course other games not using that data route will be running smoothly. The fact that ESO is the only game not running well doesn't not make it a server or ZOS issue necessarily.

You could therefore try a traceroute to the server. It may indeed be a server or ZOS issue but other things can be eliminated (or confirmed) by things like traceroutes.

Im from italy so i guess in my case that might be the problem.

Thanks for info.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me too EU server is very laggy (not measured ping, but the thing is definitely evident) and this issue is a very recent one, it started just after the last patch.

As I said in another post, this morning I was also unable to login in EU, but things went without problems in NA (I live in Europe).

The lag is not a constant one, in my experience, it comes and goes, and is greater in Blackwood.
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭

I'm from Italy and I wasn't actually thinking about ESO server problem, more Just something (which I couldn't understand, that's the why of this thread) about ESO which makes the game unplayable with me.

Unfortunately I'm not so erudite in networking or networking problems, and I'm also Not aware about general networking problems in the world, so of You tell me there Is something which doesn't properly work with providers in Italy (I don't know what an hop Is Sorry) there should be that, but I don't understand why ESO Is affected and others games not, does this means ESO take care about these "hops" and others games does not?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm from Italy and I wasn't actually thinking about ESO server problem, more Just something (which I couldn't understand, that's the why of this thread) about ESO which makes the game unplayable with me.

Unfortunately I'm not so erudite in networking or networking problems, and I'm also Not aware about general networking problems in the world, so of You tell me there Is something which doesn't properly work with providers in Italy (I don't know what an hop Is Sorry) there should be that, but I don't understand why ESO Is affected and others games not, does this means ESO take care about these "hops" and others games does not?

Think of an internet network like a sort of railway system. You can get from Station A to Station B by traveling through a variety of different routes and stations, and those stations are like hops in a data route carrying internet traffic. If there's a problem at one station then trains can be re-routed through other stations and it's the same with hops. Your ISP can tell if there is a problem with a hop and re-route its data accordingly.

However, a train travelling from Station A to Station C won't be affected because it doesn't pass through the station on the route between Station A and Station B - just as your other games aren't affected because they don't involve server locations that require data to be passed through the affected hop.

I hope that helps! More importantly, I hope the problem gets resolved quickly.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you run the Game Consultant report? Down near the bottom of this very long report are a number of IP addresses. Some for the launcher and most are for the server farm. You can see if there are issues with a hop between you and the server farm and run some tracerts to pinpoint the issue. I had an issue years ago and ran this report. Helped me find the hop problem. I sent this to the Help Desk and the devs worked on their side to help resolve the issue because I could show them an issue that would cause problems for more than just me.

I now live a stones throw from the server farm and there are some days I see 999+ latency for several seconds but it clears up quickly. Generally my latency is 28 so the crazy pings can still happen. :(
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone complains about lag in Cyrodill and sometimes in PvE raids (an entire guild from different areas of Europe), so no...enough with the client end excuses, period.

I do understand it can be a factor and most of the time we are smart enough to know when our ISP is at fault or not.
  • killingspreeb16_ESO
    killingspreeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Tbh at first i was suspecting something like this but no one was saying anything so i thought it was either my internet/router problem and after making some test everything was doing fine so i was confused on why only ESO was not working properly when everything else was doing fine,usually more games are affected when something like this happens.

Guess we are stuck like this until the problem get fixed,i doubt calling the ISP in italy would do something in my experience atleast.
    Edited by killingspreeb16_ESO on June 8, 2021 3:54PM
  • Icy_Nelyan
    Icy_Nelyan
    ✭✭✭
    Since I know Just a bit of networking I did whatever in my Power to investigate the problem and once I found no errors or problems from my side I asked here; mostly because I saw that I was unable to move (not because under CC or something, Just because of the latency of any server response since input message was fired) or fire spells and attacks in the correct time fighting people in IC, but while I have problema to correctly control my character, they seemed ti be able to correctly play, so I thought there has to be a problem with ESO but not a server One since none in chat was complaining and others people were capable of fighting and Killing me while It was clear that I wasn't.

I Also thought that It shouldn't be a provider problem since my Brother have High ping issues too but he has a different provider, and ofcourae from varioua ping testa no problems have been detected, so contacting the provider to check what's wrong on service which Is working Is pointless.

Thanks to @Tandor now I know more about networking and running the game consultant like @Seravi adviced helped me to find some problems in IP comunications, I actually understand too low to be able to Read and understand the networking data inside consultant but there are some CLOSE_WAIT on some comunication attempts and Expired Request under Game Launcher section which I suppose might be the problem here.
    Edited by Icy_Nelyan on June 8, 2021 4:24PM
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Italy and have been experiencing the same problem with lag since Update 30. My lag is so much that the game is unplayable all of a sudden. I'm not so sure it's not an ISP issue.

If I connect to ESO servers through Mudfish VPN the game goes back to normal - a smooth 68 - 85 latency, which is the norm for me, or at least was until Update 30 dropped.

But I don't want to pay for a VPN connection when I live an hour by plane from the servers and never had significant lag issues on PC-EU before, except for the usual Cyro/trials ping-death fiestas
    Edited by MorganaBlue on June 8, 2021 5:00PM