Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bastian is a weenie

Jeremy
Jeremy
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So he doesn't like it when you loot and pillage. It's aggravating having to unsummon him every time I want to loot something, but at least it makes some sense because it's criminal behavior and he's a goody-two-shoes. I get it. But when he gets upset at me for doing my provisioning daily and cooking wine I draw the line. That's just stupid. lol

• GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, yes he is.

Luckily, though, I'll only have to see him twice every 14 seconds for the next 6 months or so. 🤦

I just hope that they won't be blocking writ turn ins and such too much. Or that I won't have to HEAR other people's Companions yapping; please someone tell me we can't hear other people's, right? RIGHT?!?!
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? What is even the point of these stupid companions. What a terrible addition to the game. Hope it’s cool to just skip doing them.

Any benefit to leveling them?
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He does not like crafting alcoholic drinks? That is interesting, I did not hear about that one.
  • YstradClud
    YstradClud
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went with Mirri. She seems like a feisty Dark Elf.
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian: drinking bad umkay...
    Me: you such a weenie, I hate you, I'm gonna get married instead!
    Merri: reee you killed a bug reee
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seriously? What is even the point of these stupid companions. What a terrible addition to the game. Hope it’s cool to just skip doing them.

Any benefit to leveling them?

Yeah, they got a couple minor perks associated with them. Poorly copied from Patch Notes:

Perks and Keepsakes
    Each companion has a unique associated non-combat perk which benefits you while active.
    Mirri's Expertise: Treasure Chests found through Treasure Maps and in the Overland have a 30% chance to provide additional loot from hidden compartments. The treasure from these hidden compartments may contain additional gold, sellables or recipes.
    Bastian's Insight: Potions looted from chests and monsters have a 30% chance to be improved by Bastian's Insight.
    By completing meta-achievements associated with each companion, you can unlock a keepsake collectible for each companion which provides the benefits of the non-combat perk even while the companion isn't active.
    These collectibles are located under the Upgrades section of the Collections menu.

And that's ignoring whatever combat benefits you can manage to eke out of them. They're not utterly useless... but unsettlingly close, haha. They definitely have too many downsides for how meager their benefits are, IMO.

Edited by GreenHere on June 1, 2021 11:09PM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do they auto dismiss when you enter towns? I know they were testing doing that on pts
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FluffWit wrote: »
    Do they auto dismiss when you enter towns? I know they were testing doing that on pts

Not normally, no. I've seen plenty of people traipsing around Leyawiin with them in-tow, for instance.

I'm not certain whether or not they are hidden or something during heavy scenes like Dolmens and such, though. I didn't pay enough attention to notice one way or the other when doing an Oblivion Portal boss fight, but there were a LOT of people there; so too much going on to notice much of anything, honestly.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    So he doesn't like it when you loot and pillage. It's aggravating having to unsummon him every time I want to loot something, but at least it makes some sense because it's criminal behavior and he's a goody-two-shoes. I get it. But when he gets upset at me for doing my provisioning daily and cooking wine I draw the line. That's just stupid. lol

What are we talking about? Is normal looting fine like say kill boss in dungeon?
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on June 1, 2021 11:26PM
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What are we talking about? Is normal looting fine like say kill boss in dungeon?

They mean stealing
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My elf lives and repairs at Elden Root. In the main crafting area, hers is the only companion she sees. All others are apparently invisible to you in crowded areas like crafting areas. Elegant solution methinks.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is actually really funny.

You all saw, several times, from the announcement and preview videos where Bastian shows disapproval from the player doing immoral actions. You had EVERY indication before launch to know his personality was goody goody. Launch comes, you grab him anyway and then complain about him being goody goody.

CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait ... you can't even have Bastien there when you do your provisioning writs?

Is he secretly my mother-in-law? :o
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GreenHere wrote: »
    I'm not certain whether or not they are hidden or something during heavy scenes like Dolmens and such, though. I didn't pay enough attention to notice one way or the other when doing an Oblivion Portal boss fight (...)
    They don't dismiss in group events/public dungeons either.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    This is actually really funny.

You all saw, several times, from the announcement and preview videos where Bastian shows disapproval from the player doing immoral actions. You had EVERY indication before launch to know his personality was goody goody. Launch comes, you grab him anyway and then complain about him being goody goody.
    Yeah, but there's a difference between not being able to kill people in front of him, and not being able to make beer for a crafting writ in front of him. That last part is a little excessive.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having fun with my companion. It's really not as bad as people are making out.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for a character with a heroic personality that is against killing, but its down right moronic that he's opposed to someone consuming wine. Just because you like or craft wine, doesn't mean your getting roaring drunk. If there was some backstory to justify it, I'd find it more acceptable, but I find that particular trait to be excessively scrupulous and more than a little annoying. Our characters are actually, you know, adults being sent off to save the world every five minutes. If they're expected to avoid alcohol "because its NoT rIGht" then I don't know what to say. I think my men deserve a darn drink after some of the stuff they put up with.

There's a gigantic difference between being "immoral" and having a freaking drink like an adult.

I was hoping Bastian could be my buddy....not my highschool principal telling me not to wear my hat in the hall.

I like them. I like the system. I really do. But there's some questionable characterization choices here that I just don't get.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on June 2, 2021 1:57AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »

They mean stealing

Just had to make sure I could live with him.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't like his personality just don't use him.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *He only dislikes characters who righteously deserve to put to the sword* - this post was made by the Iron Wheel gang

( :p *jk*)

Edited by Aztrias on June 2, 2021 2:35AM
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of both companions, I prefer Bastian. His dialogue is more sincere and he reminds me of a lost puppy... and given his backstory, that's probably close to the truth.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I won't invite him over for a glass of wine after all.
    PCNA
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm. A teetotaller. This one wonders how he feels about moon sugar :D
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well the other one likes pickpocketing but not Blade of Woe use. Moar empty NPCs wandering around mumbling about holes in their pockets.
    Edited by rpa on June 2, 2021 3:43AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I craft for provisioning and alchemy writs in advance anyway, leaving stacks in the bank for easy access.

That's a lot easier than making the stuff from scratch each time. And of course I do it on my one character who's spent the skill points the maximum output per input in those crafts.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally find Bastian way easier to live with than Mirri, who loses rapport if you pick a torchbug or kill a rat, or take her to any dock area.
    I also personally like Bastian as a character more.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for a character with a heroic personality that is against killing, but its down right moronic that he's opposed to someone consuming wine. Just because you like or craft wine, doesn't mean your getting roaring drunk. If there was some backstory to justify it, I'd find it more acceptable, but I find that particular trait to be excessively scrupulous and more than a little annoying. Our characters are actually, you know, adults being sent off to save the world every five minutes. If they're expected to avoid alcohol "because its NoT rIGht" then I don't know what to say. I think my men deserve a darn drink after some of the stuff they put up with.

There's a gigantic difference between being "immoral" and having a freaking drink like an adult.

I was hoping Bastian could be my buddy....not my highschool principal telling me not to wear my hat in the hall.

I like them. I like the system. I really do. But there's some questionable characterization choices here that I just don't get.

Maybe Bastian is a recovering alcoholic?
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole concept of em is basically for rpg fans really . Its def not a part of the super hardcore crowds taste. Honestly good padding for future expacs since the systems here .
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole concept of em is basically for rpg fans really . Its def not a part of the super hardcore crowds taste. Honestly good padding for future expacs since the systems here .

Wdym?? It's so much more than that. I can solo dungeons now, or have my roommate login and together we can have a full party and do veteran dungeons. So much better than random queues and dealing with pugs.
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YstradClud wrote: »
    I went with Mirri. She seems like a feisty Dark Elf.

A feisty Dark Elf who dislikes bug collecting :D