Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When will there be a new dlc dedicated to PVP

Togal
Togal
✭✭✭✭
Majority of DLCs are all dedicated to PVE content, theres only like 1 DLC dedicated to PvP which is imperial city and that has been there ages ago. It would be super cool if the next dlc is completely PvP with rewards based on pvp content.
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    never
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, probably never.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never. They love the casuals too much to bat an eye at us.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is every PvE player a casual to you, since you speak like that? Because I dare say that the Leaderboard PvE players are easily just as dedicated as the PvP players
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww why everyone disagreeing, cmon wouldn't it be fun if we had something new for pvp.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Togal wrote: »
    Awww why everyone disagreeing, cmon wouldn't it be fun if we had something new for pvp.

Its not quite disagreeing, I would say that pretty much all PvP players would like some new stuff for PvP.

Its just that it is incredibly unlikely that ZOS is ever going to release any kind of real PvP content again, because from how they acted about that the last years made it quite obvious that they dont care about the PvP side of the game.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A dlc? I could see that happening in a few years maybe,I mean a chapter is very unlikely but a dlc why not ^^
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »

Its not quite disagreeing, I would say that pretty much all PvP players would like some new stuff for PvP.

Its just that it is incredibly unlikely that ZOS is ever going to release any kind of real PvP content again, because from how they acted about that the last years made it quite obvious that they dont care about the PvP side of the game.

Yeah I do agree on that, PvP has been kinda neglected for some time now. Guess it is easier to cater towards small groups in dungeon runs compared to 20-40 people clashing which could be taxing on the server. Honestly feel kinda tricked into playing this game, zos promised all these amazing pvp content like being able to ambush trading caravans moving from keep to keep and they also said that it would have amazing siege mechanics. which ended up dull in the end.
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    A dlc? I could see that happening in a few years maybe,I mean a chapter is very unlikely but a dlc why not ^^

thats the spirit ahahahah!
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is every PvE player a casual to you, since you speak like that? Because I dare say that the Leaderboard PvE players are easily just as dedicated as the PvP players

Wow, you made a ton of inferences from those eight words. Maybe they are thinking of all the events and amount of content surrounded around daily activities? They never even hinted around pve players not being dedicated. Maybe take a deep breath?

I agree though that never, sadly. For one, Cyro doesn't perform well and is one of the sore spots for ESO. Especially at a time in which any company that releases poorly optimized content will be dragged through the fire. They know it wouldn't be optimized well. Second, they can't consistently update battlegrounds, which is a much smaller scale development even if at minimum reusing developed content and placing 3 rune locations. Lastly, the last big pvp update was ic/sewers and that wasn't too far after release.

Sorry friend :(
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe after ZOS fixes Cyrodiil performance. So probably never.

I mean, what is ZOS going to do?

A. Any sort of large scale combat is going to have the same issues as Cyrodiil.
    B. For small scale combat, we've got Battlegrounds, which doesn't even have a large enough population to support all the queues people want.
    C. Imperial City is pretty unpopular for something that was supposed to an end game for PvPvE - it favors niche builds and is very unfriendly for casual
    and inexperienced PVPers.

What's left? Free for all? I'm not sure ESO is very well balanced for that.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At most I see them adding more stuff like the hammer to Cyrodiil, more siege weapons, stuff like the AP rep xp drinks etc...

Maybe some more maps or even a new game mode to battlegrounds.

Possibly a PVP arena in a Chapter or DLC zone is the most in terms of something brand new I see them doing.

As for a new zone, don't think it will happen anytime soon, main reasons to me are it would spread the PVP population even more and assuming it's a DLC the player count in the new zone would be further reduced by those that don't buy it, or don't have ESO+ I remember that being one of the main reasons battlegrounds became base game instead of a chapter exclusive.

It would be difficult to show off as new content without people seeing the same performance issues and problems existing in the current PVP zones the moment it goes to the PTS, you really think there would be a large uptake of players buying it if they see nothing has been fixed and there would be the people annoyed that they spent resources on something new rather than fixing problems with the existing PVP zones first.

They could try making it another mixed PVP/PVE zones to bait PVE players into buying it but that would also have a high potential of backlash, you still see threads every now and then asking for PVE only versions of Cyrodiil and Imperial city.

Then take into account the backlash if they dedicate one of a years DLC spots to a PVP zone, they would have to make in addition to a story DLC zone to avoid that.

They also risk backlash if the new PVP content is seen as pay to win in anyway, if for instance if has decent sets that are better than those found in the current PVP zones.

Not saying PVP players don't spend money, its just a lot easier for ZOS to make money with PVE content.
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

B. For small scale combat, we've got Battlegrounds, which doesn't even have a large enough population to support all the queues people want.
    C. Imperial City is pretty unpopular for something that was supposed to an end game for PvPvE - it favors niche builds and is very unfriendly for casual

Totally agree with point A.
    With point B, how do you calculate BG population?
    For IC/Sewers, I'm so glad that it picked up over the last year and 1/2. Hopefully they can keep adding interesting awards to keep it relevant.
  • Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭

Majority of DLCs are all dedicated to PVE content, theres only like 1 DLC dedicated to PvP which is imperial city and that has been there ages ago. It would be super cool if the next dlc is completely PvP with rewards based on pvp content.

Can you elaborate on what this DLC would possibly be?
    Are you looking for additional battleground maps or do you want an entire new zone full of flags to flip and PVE player fodder to gank?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree with point A.
    With point B, how do you calculate BG population?
    For IC/Sewers, I'm so glad that it picked up over the last year and 1/2. Hopefully they can keep adding interesting awards to keep it relevant.

With Point B, I'll start by noting that Battlegrounds population has never been what ZOS hoped for. They made it free to play after Morrowind - the only Chapter feature to become free to play - because that's a way to boost population. Following that, they experimented with other ways to draw players in, like testing CP Battlegrounds.

More recently, their changes to the queue highlight the small size of the regular population. Players want reasonable queue times, choice of solo or grouped queue, and their choice of game mode, right? And yet ZOS says they don't want to split the queues, and essentially, that we can only pick 2 options. In order to preserve a reasonable queue time, ZOS gave us solo/grouped queue and took away the ability to choose game modes.

If Battlegrounds had a larger population, splitting the queue to satisfy everyone wouldn't be a problem. There would be enough people in each split queue that matches would fill in a reasonable time. Instead, we're at the point where ZOS feels that BGs can't do that.
  • Karm1cOne
    Karm1cOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pvp lead at ZOS, no pvp content. Don't expect much.
  • BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that first and foremost they need to ask themselves how they can make PvP more attractive, I don't think there are enough reasons to do it outside of the appeal of pvp itself which is only ever going to pull in a certain number of players.
    Whether it's better rewards or more engaging group play, I'm sure they could figure it out if they tried. But they haven't put any major effort into it besides a few (mostly useless) sets and transmute crystals, which can be farmed by other means.
    So pvp populations outside of the main cyro campaign will stay low.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ask yourself... would you really even want that, looking at what Cyrodiil is and has been for the last few years? I doubt anyone would enjoy it with the game in the state it's in.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Has Zenimax been able to monetize PvP? The only DLC with PvP I have seen in Imperial City and it is usually dead space and it seems Zos had to give it away. Every other aspect of PvP is part of the base game so it does nothing for bringing in continued revenue.
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be the point?

The current PvP content is already too much for the number of people interested in PvP. IC has basically been a ghost town for years outside of events. They stated they can't have solo/group and queues for specific types of BG, because the BG population is too small. And Cyrodil is down to 3 campaigns, which generally are pretty lowly populated outside of a small window of primetime and even prime is a joke when allegedly the population caps have been reduced to something like one third of what they once were.
    Edited by Sylosi on May 31, 2021 1:36PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial City and its player reception is good indicator.

It was not received well (to put it gently). It was empty pretty much forever, then it was converted into "free DLC" in hopes that population in that zone will increase, but.. it did not worked.

Highest population I saw in this zone was 2 bar AD and 2 bar EP (DC was empty) during prime time in weekend, and it was more or less for the duration on half an hour. Then it dropped to empty.

ZOS is trying the best they can to force people to go to IC (by adding new monster helmets and making it an obligatory part of double mym event), but other than that mixed PvP & PvE zone is a failure.

Let's be honest - if PvP dlc zone was a huge success, we would have more by now...
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on May 31, 2021 1:36PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had to give IC away, so few people bought it.

But let’s pretend they were to add a new zone that was pvp only. Do you think more players will just self generate to fill the zone? Because the problem with pvp is that you need other players to fight against. A new zone will just split the pvp population amongst more areas, giving everyone less people to fight.

The reason why there won’t be a new pvp “zone” is that there is not enough pvp players to fill all the current pvp activities. The best pvp players can hope for is more bg arenas.
    Karm1cOne wrote: »
    No pvp lead at ZOS, no pvp content. Don't expect much.

They promoted the PvP lead to combat lead, if anything there is no pve lead. If there were maybe Bosmers would actually have their lore friendly stealth, rather then a “detect stealth” passive that is only useful in pvp.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Has Zenimax been able to monetize PvP? The only DLC with PvP I have seen in Imperial City and it is usually dead space and it seems Zos had to give it away. Every other aspect of PvP is part of the base game so it does nothing for bringing in continued revenue.

In PVP, the real content is other players. As long as we can fight, we're going to be playing ESO and spending money. And while some players might be annoyed to not get many updates to our fighting areas, we're considerably less demanding than PVE end game players, who need 4 dungeons and a trial each year. What we want is a place to fight that works.

ZOS does monetize PVP overtly, but it's in the same way they monetize everything else in the end game: "Buy this fantastic new gear/class/feature in the New Chapter to stay competitive!" Then they nerf that stuff they knew was unbalanced later, so they can sell the latest round of unbalanced stuff. PVP players, like endgame PVEers, buy a lot of consumables like race change tokens and stuff to level up Alts in order to keep up as ZOS changes the meta. Just because you don't see ZOS selling new environments to fight in doesn't mean it isn't monetized. In fact, PVPers are more cost efficient for ZOS than PVE trial players because PVPers don't require a new environment with new boss fights every year. All we require is a place to fight that works - and it's 100% on ZOS to make sure their own game works properly. We can't do that for them.

In the larger scheme of things, ZOS has to offer some form of PVP to stay competitive in marketing themselves vs other MMOs. It doesn't have to be good PVP or working particularly well, but they have to offer it or player who're looking for that option will pass right on by. This is why all complaints advocating "ZOS should remove PVP altogether" miss the mark completely.

Finally, while ZOS might have grand plans to further monetize PVP...they can't until they fix Cyrodiil's performance problems. I really can't state that firmly enough: they can't fully monetize PVP when their flagship PVP mode performs poorly for regular PVPers, driving players who love PVP away to other games.

In PVP, the content is other players. If ZOS wants a thriving PVP community that they can monetize, they've got to fix the performance problems that are the primary reason PVPers have left over the years.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭

To be fair to ZOS, until they actually resolve class balance from a naked stripped down approach to streamlining CC combat mechanics on class kits and other skill lines, included to the first benchmark mentioned above then you couldn't really bring forward a dedicated PVP release. They're close but not there yet.

While some may disagree with me; No one wants more swings from the ZOS bat, however, the class imbalance does need to be addressed. Done well and with conscious thought could bring our distinct class identity more than past feeble attempts.
    Edited by Sahidom on May 31, 2021 2:09PM
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think a dlc is needed, it just separates the community on pvp, i think new maps for battlegrounds and maybe some visual reworks, new aditions to cyrodil would be good.
    maybe a reason to go imperial city.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not until the game has enough active PvPers who are happy with the game and give the developers a reason to invest in new PvP content, rather than just complaining that Cyrodiil is broken, Imperial City is pointless, Battlegrounds are useless and dueling isn't worth bothering with. That may be paraphrasing the generality of PvP posts on this forum but not by much.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Probably not until the game has enough active PvPers who are happy with the game and give the developers a reason to invest in new PvP content, rather than just complaining that Cyrodiil is broken, Imperial City is pointless, Battlegrounds are useless and dueling isn't worth bothering with. That may be paraphrasing the generality of PvP posts on this forum but not by much.

PvP players complain about cyro performance because it is horrible, not just for the "joy of complaining". Performance has been horrendous for over three years now. Your post is a slap to the face of every PvP player and an attempt to discount the legitimacy of their complaints.

If Zenimax would fix some of the performance issues, people would stop complaining. Until things are fixed, people will likely, and should continue complaining. When things are very broken, customers can and should point out that they are broken.

The problem isn't the players pointing out there are performance issues. The problem is Zenimax is failing in any of their efforts to fix their game; and failing at a level that makes it difficult to believe they are even trying to fix the majority of the performance issues.
    Edited by CSose on May 31, 2021 3:43PM
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing ESO shortly after IC was released and to say it was unpopular is an understatement. LOL. It was severely criticized for how you could loot Tel Var off of other players, something that has persistently been very unpopular with the larger ESO playerbase, even though today it's accepted as how IC is and people have other DLCs to play so we don't get threads raging about it anymore like we did back then. It's pretty clear that IC was designed with an idea that PVP in the game would go in a different direction than it has, due to player appeal. A big miss, marketing-wise. Which is sad because the zone itself is pretty cool. It's just the whole looting other players, in a game that allows for people to make ultra-powerful meta builds, even has a set that increases your health and other stats per the amount of Tel Var you carry, and lets individual players get away with hacks and cheats longer than ZOS will admit*... yeah, that's not a combo that results in what a lot of players consider fun.

*Yes, it is the norm** that eventually player who cheat get caught. But "eventually" is doing some major heavy lifting here.

**Saying it is the norm implies that it's not necessarily universal. Take that as you will.

Unfortunately, for reasons we could debate until the sun dies out, PVP has never gained the popularity that the original game seemed to envision in the early days. Consequentially, the game has largely focused on PVE, because that's where the game makes money. Filthy casuals' money is as green as anyone else's. Those are the facts, folks. And because ESO makes so much more money off of PVE than PVP, well, here's where we need to accept that PVP isn't going to be something ZOS will be investing in in the near future. It's not a matter of "Hey, PVE gets X, why can't we get something too?" ZOS just isn't investing in PVP, period. As Joy Division pointed out in the PVP subforum, they haven't had anyone on the dev team dedicated to PVP development for the past 2 years or so, and that's just the state of things. If that makes you super unhappy, well, you can make different choices about what games you play. Sorry. I mean, I care, but ZOS doesn't. (Oh that's gonna get snipped LOL)
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSose wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

PvP players complain about cyro performance because it is horrible, not just for the "joy of complaining". Performance has been horrendous for over three years now. Your post is a slap to the face of every PvP player and an attempt to discount the legitimacy of their complaints.

If Zenimax would fix some of the performance issues, people would stop complaining. Until things are fixed, people will likely, and should continue complaining. When things are very broken, customers can and should point out that they are broken.

The problem isn't the players pointing out there are performance issues. The problem is Zenimax is failing in any of their efforts to fix their game; and failing at a level that makes it difficult to believe they are even trying to fix the majority of the performance issues.

I don't doubt that most PvPers have performance issues in Cyrodiil, but that is just one aspect of the approach many forum PVPers have to the game as indicated in my reference to the other PvP parts of the game. Many PvPers when asked say they'd rather ZOS fixed Cyrodiil than added more PvP content, and I wholly support that. If ZOS can do that, then clearly the PvPers will indeed have a lot less to complain about and will then be able to adopt a much more positive approach which I'm sure will then put them in a stronger position to call for a PvP-centred DLC.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because overwhelming amount of ESO population is not playing PvP.