Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

LOTRO Legendarium The MMO Added a Difficulty Slider, Maybe one day we can also have that.

WiseSky
WiseSky
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
LOTRO Legendarium The MMO Added a Difficulty Slider

Just wanted to say that maybe one day we well get to see the same with ESO :D
Immersive Quests Addon
Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
List of Immersion Addons
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »

The title is a bit misleading. Yes, they're adding a slider - on the testserver.

No, they haven't worked out the consequences (loot, rewards, achievements, groups working together etc) yet. And according to the article it's not sure that they will, since it requires a great deal of work on the side of the developers.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only way it would ever work in ESO. A slider that nerfs the character - reduces their damage output and makes them more vulnerable to monster attacks.
    Beta tester November 2013
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭

It's still in the testing stage and will be released only on one legendary server and not an entire game. They want to see how players will react to it. first.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, this. Please, please, this... Zenimax. Do this.

Do this, do this, do this. :relaxed:

I don't even care about better rewards. I just want the adrenaline rush of just barely escaping with my life.

Make it all hurt, please.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

Everytime I suggest that players self nerf with gear or rotation choices the masses rise up against me. The hew and cry of how they made their character super strong, so ZOS needs to make their game strong is deafening.

Now, another game is providing a slider to just what i have been suggesting for 20 years, in all kinds of RPGs, choosing to Nerf your own character to give you the game experience you want. And people are happy.

You can nerf your own character already.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    LOL

Everytime I suggest that players self nerf with gear or rotation choices the masses rise up against me. The hew and cry of how they made their character super strong, so ZOS needs to make their game strong is deafening.

Now, another game is providing a slider to just what i have been suggesting for 20 years, in all kinds of RPGs, choosing to Nerf your own character to give you the game experience you want. And people are happy.

Yeah, I remember those arguments on the old Skyrim forums.
    "It's too easy, everything is so weak against my Perfectly Leveraged Crafting Exploits!"
    "Maybe don't do the crafting cycle to make yourself uber strong?"
    "HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I SELF NERF!!1!1!1one!"

..and honestly, I don't see a difficulty slider like that making much difference for the endgame pros. They're used to all sorts of mechanics & things from hardmode dungeons and trials. The overland mobs don't do all those mechanics, nerfing your damage & buffing the monsters will just make the fights longer, not harder. They'll still be the same small groups doing the same overland attacks, it'll just take more hits to put them down.

(Just like all the other games that have done similar things. If you find it easy to dodge the enemy's attacks now, you'll still find it easy afterwards. You'll just have to dodge them a few more times, while you beat on the damage sponge.)
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

More nerf is required then what you can do to yourself, I'm afraid. :confused:
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we will get a loadscreen slider - 10 second, 30 seconds, 45 seconds.
    You can buy 1 second option for 1000 crowns in the store
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL

LOL
    A big part of MMORPGs and RPGs as a whole is making your character stronger via character progression, if you take that out of the game by voluntarily refusing to wear gear, the game loses a big portion of its fun.
    If they add a slider, there would still be a reason to try to improve your character, which for many like me is the primary reason to play this kind of game.
    You clearly miss this point because you probably obtain fun in the game in a different way than us.
    If self-nerfing your gear and skills were the same thing as using a difficulty slider, then no RPG would have a difficulty slider.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on May 30, 2021 10:00PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nerfing yourself is not solution - it's stupid and not fun. Whole idea is have a challenge from game, because idea is simple - game tries to beat player, player tries to beat game. For overland content I even play hybrid build because it's more fun, but still game is stupidly simple. I won't go without gear, because it's boring - whole fun is making different builds, themes, etc - not walking naked and fist fighting enemies :P

At least there should be some smaller areas with higher difficulty. Why there are not more challenging eniemies far from the main roads? Why not public dungeons and delves hardcore instances? Why not some new game function like solo arenas, but using all delves and public dungeons in special mode where you solo it for points with weekly boards and rewards? There should be something more for vet players - not only pvp and dungeons/trial. We have only two arenas for more hardcore solo expierence and they have stupid, annoying mechanics so it's not very fun and relaxing thing...
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ummm..I have a Lifetime to LOTRO. Must load and look.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

This is the only way it would ever work in ESO. A slider that nerfs the character - reduces their damage output and makes them more vulnerable to monster attacks.

It's the way it works in solo games as well. In Skyrim, as difficulty was increased the players damage was less and enemy damage more. And vice versa for easier difficulties.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overland really needs a difficult slider. I walk up to the big bad and press R and they die.
    It is clear that a large majority of players like the easy overland so we can't just increase the difficulty, and we don't want to create vet overland as that would split the player base making the game seem empty.

A slider seems like the best option.

For now, I just hunt dragons to feel something.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about rewards, they can keep it same how it is now. I just want overland to be difficult. Now you can complete most overland content just by spamming LA
    Another option is just to "nerf myself" by unequipping weapons and armor but where is point in that? I like theorycrafting and working on my builds.

Most games I play on hard or very high/nightmare/deathmarch or i am modding them to be harder. I like fair challenge. Eso overland is just boring.
  • Aaxc
    Aaxc
    ✭✭✭
    Why would I want to nerf a content on purpose and get worse loot? The only point of such a "slider" woudl be to keep it at max at all times for best loot options.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaxc wrote: »
    Why would I want to nerf a content on purpose and get worse loot? The only point of such a "slider" woudl be to keep it at max at all times for best loot options.

I want to play game which dificulty is equal of my abilities. Eso overland can play someone after stroke and it still will be easy for him.

Roleplaying is one thing too. Big scary enemy, threat to all world and i kill him with two skills.
    Edited by Anyron on May 31, 2021 10:53AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    You clearly miss this point because you probably obtain fun in the game in a different way than us.
    If self-nerfing your gear and skills were the same thing as using a difficulty slider, then no RPG would have a difficulty slider.

You can still wear all your Uber Gear for doing Trials and Vet Dungeons. This is for Overland.

And, those difficulty sliders? All the do is skew the math so you take more damage and do less damage. All they are doing is adjusting the math. Same thing changing out your gear does.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want anything added to this game that was done by LoTRO 1st. Now under it's 4th owner and declining for years in both playability and integrity.

Besides, it's a silly idea and bound to be fraught with massive bugs.
  • sidebyside
    sidebyside
    ✭✭
    I am a LOTRO founder and remember how the game evolved until I left it in 2014 for this one.

It used to be a really difficult game until they repeatedly raised the level to a point that it was useless to play early content.
    I won't even mention WB various offences against their most loyal players who started to abandon game en masse.

So I suspect that whatever they do to make the basic content a bit more of a challenge will be greeted with positive reviews from those who still play it.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happens when a player with slider at low difficulty comes along and facerolls the enemy you are fighting? Do you still get best loot?

What happens if a player with low difficulty slider and a player with high difficulty slider team up? Do you have to do a certain amount of damage to be worthy of best loot? What if the low difficulty player does almost all the damage just by accident? Could groups of players on low difficulty troll players on high difficulty by steamrolling enemies and preventing high difficulty players from doing enough damage to get best loot?

What if a low difficulty player taunts enemy? Its attacks will only tickle the low difficulty player, and high difficulty player can essentially just dummy parse for best loot. They will do almost 100% of damage, but that was not difficult. Then players switch and now both get top loot with little difficulty or danger.

I just do not see a way to have different difficulties active at same time. It would be like having a Trial group where some players are taking veteran hardmode damage and fighting bosses with equivalent of 100 million health while others are taking normal mode damage and fighting bosses with equivalent of 10 million health. Can you really justify giving anyone perfected gear in such a case?

I really think there are only 2 ways to do this:

1). Veteran overland instances. Splits player base, but guarantees that everyone involved is truly taking on difficult content. Runs the risk of difficult areas being dead, like old "Veteran Rank" overland zones were empty or old Craglorn overland was always empty.
    2). Difficulty slider, but no change at all in XP, gold, or loot. No incentive to cheese it or exploit it. It would simply be about increased challenge. But not sure how much people want increased challenge. Seems like they mostly want gold, XP, and phat loot.
  • Ergele
    Ergele
    ✭✭✭
    good idea,

ZoS should do this
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    LOL
    A big part of MMORPGs and RPGs as a whole is making your character stronger via character progression, if you take that out of the game by voluntarily refusing to wear gear, the game loses a big portion of its fun.
    If they add a slider, there would still be a reason to try to improve your character, which for many like me is the primary reason to play this kind of game.

The thing is, it is not a "difficulty" slider, it is exactly "self-nerfing" slider we are talking about. If you use it to "rise your difficulty" and players around you don't then it would look like your character is weaker, because it would be. Without adding some kind of rewards for doing so I don't see how it's different from taking your gear away yourself.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah and Star Wars galaxies needed combat more like World Of Warcraft it made the game more. "iconic" People loved to drag SOE through the mud, but they rarely mentioned it was a handful of armchair developers on the forums that brought it about.
    • Sure lets do this because we want a population as tiny as LOTRO
    • You know I don't think a difficulty slider will actually drag the game into everyone wanting their niche version of ESO

You guys do know that the "difficulty slider" is only when you Solo Group play is regulated back to normal difficulty, also it is a microscopic chance the lotro devs will be kept in the first place...

Hey Bob lets throw away the plans to fix the servers balance the loot tables and add more content; a couple of forum bros want to strut around proclaiming their mad skills at the highest difficulty.

Edited by Klad on June 1, 2021 1:07PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I really think there are only 2 ways to do this:

1). Veteran overland instances. Splits player base, but guarantees that everyone involved is truly taking on difficult content. Runs the risk of difficult areas being dead, like old "Veteran Rank" overland zones were empty or old Craglorn overland was always empty.
    2). Difficulty slider, but no change at all in XP, gold, or loot. No incentive to cheese it or exploit it. It would simply be about increased challenge. But not sure how much people want increased challenge. Seems like they mostly want gold, XP, and phat loot.

I would never expect ZOS to do the first one. They spent a lot of time merging the player base, and they brag about it, so I don't expect they will ever reverse that.

The problem with "same loot, same XP" is that it removes game play incentive to move that slider to "HARD". Who wants to spend 2x the time, and die while doing it, for the same reward? I guarantee you people would be lined up in here complaining about how ZOS "missed the mark" over something like that.

The core issue I see with a "difficulty slider" in this game is that the bulk of the players that know about it will put it on EASY, which is how the game is now, and never touch it again. My impression is that the players who need this are far too invested in "DPS numbers" to watch their character outgoing damage be nerfed by this slider. Of course, that changes as soon as some "hard mode exploit" is found, but that is a different issue.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

Craglorn was dead because the game was dead after they launched an MMO with broken group mechanics and the few people who managed to stick around hated the Veteran Rank progression system so even they quit upon hitting 50. The concept of adventure zones were never given a real shot under fair circumstances.

I think a lot of people here would be surprised how many people would use a veteran toggle in today's version of the game.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »

I'd be real happy with that. Finally I can enjoy all the questing on my main again!
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they never add something like this! Overland is fine!
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    What do you gain from removing a veteran overland option and take away a choice from people like me who say overland difficulty is anything but fine? Because the game was trivial before companions were introduced and now it's a complete joke difficulty-wise.

If you think overland is fine, great, stay on normal. Give me the option.
    Edited by AlexanderDeLarge on June 1, 2021 11:15PM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »

...how does someone else nerfing themselves (whether it's by slider, or by equipping bad gear, or by fraying the cable on their mouse) affect you?
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because the current way, the difficulty is the same for everyone, noone is at an advantage. When there is a difficulty slider, players will put it the easiest for some activities(like farming resources) and the hardest for any possible rewards(questing). And any higher difficulty should not have higher rewards as well!

It also ruins the path of progression, as now we are feeling our characters become stronger. A difficultyslider would remove this. Making mudcrabs tougher than molag bal is not a good thing.