Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you remember your first day in eso?

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't like subscription models so I didn't start until October 2016.

It's a TES game hahaha I'll make a stealth archer. Then I ran around poison injecting everything, casting arrow as it were. I found it rather odd that the heavy attack was so slow and the light attack felt like it did no damage.

I was still sceptical if this game would be any good, always worried I'd run into a kill 20 beetles quest or something equally grindy. I slowly made my way along the beaches of kenarnthi.

I didn't really get into the game until I hit Auridon and I was swept away by the story.

• Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I didn't really get into the game until I hit Auridon and I was swept away by the story.

in contrary, i was swept away by doshia, again and again... she really liked to mob the floor with me.
    good ol' doshia
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    Technically my first day was in 2014 or early 2015, but I didn't stay. The only thing that stands out in my memory was how disappointed I was in the environment because I was basically stuck in a somewhat small, barren desert area with some rock outcroppings, very few mobs, and I could be wrong about this part but it really seems like no objects to interact/loot. It was a long time ago, though. I just had no patience to play a brand new MMO while it found it's groove.

My real first day was right after Summerset, which was beautiful and is still one of my favorite zones in the game. Unlike my initial experience, it really felt like playing Elder Scrolls. The world seemed vast and full of life, within a week I'd decided on ESO+, and I've been happy with the decision ever since.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it was back during beta, did coldharbor, not sure if I ended on khenarthi's roost or Vulkhel Guard but remember the guy attacking a lots of mudcrabs and got killed by them :)

Another memory who might been during launch was in the starting zone.
    You know that players behind the npc become invisible during dialogue.
    Well this did not hide pets an all got an free monkey pet and the ground behind the quest giver was filled with them :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its was a great mess in a good way!
  • RedFireDisco
    RedFireDisco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the game was new & AD was full of Altmer sorcs and the Pact was littered with Dunmer DKs who were so op

Back when magdk was boss

• HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    March 30, 2014 (a Sunday), 0:700 a.m. EST. Had no idea what to expect, as ESO was my very first MMO. The game was much more difficult at launch than it is now. Enemies were much, much tougher, and the levels of enemies increased as one progressed through the 15 main alliance zones in order. ESO was much more challenging and fun for the new player at launch, before the game Difficulty was lowered and before "One Tamriel."

I am so very happy that I was able to experience ESO as it was at launch, with the original leveling system. That was so very much fun for the new player. It took me over 100 hours to get my first character to level 50, clearing every Zone and doing every Group Dungeon when allowed. (Of course, now, players hit level 50 in under an hour.) It must have taken me at least 250 hours of game-play to clear the 3 alliance Zones. And at launch, before One Tamriel, Zones had to be played in order: to get to the second alliance zone one had to complete the main quest (and defeat Molag Bal); to get to the third alliance zone one had to complete the main zone-quests of Cadwell's Silver.

I was amazed by everything: the art, the animations, the songs, the characters, the quests. I was so very impressed with what the ZOS team had accomplished. And, the Game Masters were everywhere, all the time, and so very friendly and helpful! If I submitted a Request for Help, a Game Master would be chatting with me in-game within 10 minutes to an hour.

And I loved PvP! I think at launch, the campaign allowed 600 players in each faction! Never since have I participated in such huge, fun battles in Cyrodiil. And, of course, during that first month, there were no extremely over-powered players in Cyrodiil, as there are today.

What a pity ZOS doesn't run a server with "ESO Classic," a version of the game with just the original alliance zone (PvE content) and the original leveling system and the original difficulty level. It could even be a stand-alone single-player game.
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was back when the game launched. I played for a few days and decided I didn't like it. I quit and then came back when Morrowind launched and liked the game much better with Tamriel Unlimited.
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i joined at summerset and it was amazing. i remember scoffing at people running around shimmerene on their mounts. i thought, respect the city! but yeah, that wore off. then i remember discovering bal foyen and all its resource riches, where i stayed to grind my heart out until i found a better way to make money. i could go on, but that's the gist of how i began.
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Unij
    Unij
    ✭✭✭
    I got the game as a christmas present and when I first started it, i couldn't really play. There were players everywhere and everything lagged. Also that day a guy whispered me, that my character was the ugliest he has ever seen, and I didn't know how to answer him. I've recreated my TESV Character, and tried really hard to make her look good. I was so disappointed by that player that I deleted the Char and the game the same day. But I came back after New year and started again, and somehow someone invited me to a 500Player guild. They were really helpful and friendly, answered all my questions.
    Main char is a Strong Nord Man, Thief, Vampire, Healer, Mastercrafter. PC-EU since 2016.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Got throguh Coldharbour, Stros M'kai, Betnik & into Daggerfall.

boy were some of the main quest & guild quest bosses a learning curve
    finally to be defeated by a lack of harpies...

Fine late closed beta weekends :)
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • UnseenCat
    UnseenCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started on Xbox launch day. Skills and combat were different enough from older Elder Scrolls games that it put me off-balance. Spent a number of hours dying a lot to low-level overland enemies, got discouraged and stayed off for a week or two. Came back and tried again, still not much progress. Came back a month or two later and deleted my previous character attempts and created what would become my main, and everything finally came together. Everything was great until One Tamriel came out and pretty much kneecapped my build. I played only occasionally, testing the waters after each successive patch. Moved over to PC and painstakingly re-created my main's look, played around with the build to get something workable for a Nightblade again, and got back on track. Summerset was when the game really opened back up for me.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I started off somewhere in Oblivion, where I met Lyris. She was huge, next to my woodelf. I remember someone wanting to friend me immediately and I said "no". I remember being un-immersed by people doing the same quests as me at the same time.

I wasn't happy with my woodelf, because her eyes were all pupils. At level 12, I abandoned her and made a Nord. I still hadn't caught on that Lyris was supposed to be a half-giant and picked the biggest race, trying to compensate for what I perceived as a bug. My Nord still did not match her. Ah well.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that my first day was way back in the beta days, no, I can't say that I remember my first day.

I do remember that I didn't particularly care for ESO in the early goings during beta and launch. I love playing necromancers, but launch ESO didn't have one. I made a Nightblade, because it seemed to be the closest to a necromancer, with it's sap abilities and the summon shade. I wasn't a big fan of the game, and didn't really stick around long. I came back a 2nd time, and started to find a few things about it that I started to like and enjoy, but I was playing on a gaming laptop which crapped out, and so my return didn't last long. Then One Tamriel came out, and I got the game on X-Box One, and I started enjoying it on console. I discovered that I liked playing this game a lot more on a controller than I did on keyboard and mouse. I discovered dungeons, and started to enjoy doing that. I started to find what it was that I enjoyed about the game. It wasn't what I enjoyed about single player TES games, but I did find something that I liked.

I took a little bit of a break from the game. Over that time, I rebuilt a new PC, and when Elsweyr came out and necromancers were finally a thing, I came back, and came back to PC with an X-Box controller connected. I've been back ever since.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Console lauch day
    Finished working at 19h00 then went to pickup the imperial collector edition at the local ebgames
    Arrived at home by 20h00
    Started downloading, lasted 2 hours or so
    Made a EP khajiit heavy armor hybrid dk (comming from skyrim)
    Played the wailing prison then went to bed since i started work early on the next day
    Played a few character trought the summer
    Like my covenant hero tank (with tank build)
    Or the previously mentionned hybryd dk

Stopped playing soon after the imperial city release
    I remember not being able to finish one of the vet1 quest on betnick, i dont remember why tough

Started a new real life job and a few mont after (near thieve guild release) i found out one of my coworker played eso so i came back and never left but i decided to start over deleting my few characters in the next few month and restarting them as EP since i now had friend in that faction and now knew quest were the same for all faction

Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on June 2, 2021 4:37PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I believe my first day was Oct 31, 2015. A friend basically begged me to play, and at that time I had almost zero gaming experience.

After leaving the prison and landing in Daggerfalls I was shocked at how many people were playing. I remember asking my friend, "Are those real people behind those characters?".

The game was visually amazing for a few minutes, until I accidently hit a guard and died several times. I told my friend, "I quit" because i had no gold to pay the stupid guards. She gave me some gold but then I didn't have enough because my bounty went up and they killed me again. So I logged off. It was a terrible experience.

Why am I here 2021? I shouldn't be.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the first day I bought it. I was driving home on black Friday back in 2016 and it was on and Xbox sale so I bought it and a few hours later got home and started playing. But I barely remember actually playing that night, even though I definitely did.
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember being involved in testing and washing up on a beach. After that was a lot of how do I do this or that. Then running around looking for quests with other people.

Oh yes, and fighting crabs. Never was scared of a crab before.... lol
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course, it was during one of the closed beta's around November in 2013 (I was one of the lucky ones). I was running it on an old AMD Phenom II X2 with a GTX 560 ti, and it ran ok with some graphical tweaks. My first imrpessions was that combat felt faster paced than all MMORPG's that I played, which was nice, and the textures and art style reminded me a little bit of Age of Conan, which was also nice. I honestly didn't know what to expect going in, because Elder Scrolls was always just that single player game everyone else played...but as an MMORPG with massive PVP? Kind of ambitious.

I was thoroughly surprised, and eventually pre-ordered to get access to the 2 week headstart, which was gnarly. Ran an OG AoE grind build using Impulse (old skool lol I know), and got to VR1 after like 2 weeks of power leveling zombies in the rift.
    Edited by Goregrinder on June 2, 2021 5:11PM
  • Zyreist
    Zyreist
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I still remember day one fondly...
    It was closed beta, when precisely I do not recall, but I do remember my email plastered all over my screen, adventuring with a friend who also got in. We marveled at the text to speech placeholder dialogue, how much like a somewhat more cartoonish skyrim the game felt at first, and how bleakrock felt like 'discount solstheim' as we called it.
    But we had a great time, doing what quests were available, we started off trying out the sorc class, because naturally, we wanted to try out the pets first, lamenting the lack of an in game tailor to change our characters after spending 2 hours in character creation trying to make the perfect appearance.
    I played late into the evening, trying out the other starting areas, scouring the entirety of Khenarthi's Roost, a place that at first seemed massive when compared to my experience in other MMOs, finding all those little Elder Scrolls style bits of terrain and clutter placement that told some silent story. It was nice to finally see bits of the world that I had never experienced, Arena notwithstanding, of course.
    Honestly, after all these years, riding the roller coaster of buffs, nerfs, rebalances and reworks, the magic never truly left. I'm perhaps a bit more jaded on the mechanics, lost potential and all that, but the experience of the world and its story remains undimmed, and I'll probably keep playing until the day the servers finally shut down, and spend the last moments before the end reminiscing in the beta zones where it all began.
  • TheChargingRhino
    TheChargingRhino
    Soul Shriven
    New Years Eve, 2018. Got lost in Morrowind. Died a lot. Still having fun to this day (finally getting base game done)
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came from playing Skyrim. My first few sessions were spent in mix of utter confusion caused by the fact you didn't get the main quest line but the Elsweyr one when I started so given I avoided almost all the stuff on it to avoid spoilers I was a bit lost.

In the end I got annoyed with the ever-dying khajiit nightblade I started with, created a nord warden instead and tried to walk from Elsweyr back to the Nord zones. Somewhere along the line I got mugged and the main questline unfolded.

The other thing I remember was how dire the physics and stealth models are compared with Skyrim, and how annoying not being able to keep the bow pulled back and sneak round corners was. In Skyrim most of my enemies were still running round like headless chickens trying to find who was shooting at them by the time they died.
    Too many toons not enough time