The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Companions Inventory

Rudal
Rudal
✭✭✭
I know I'm late to the party and there is probably a whole lot of threads about it but well...

I only tested companions for a couple of days and out of many things, one really stood out for me. Why does companions can't carry their own stuff?
I have 3 characters, a melee, a ranged and a healer. Out of the two companions I really like Miri, so obviously I would like her to join my three characters and in each case fulfil a different role.
Can companions have at least 5-10 slots bags so they can carry their spare weapons so I don't have to relog and remember where I left my staff or my bow or my shield when I log on any of mych characters?

They are sheared across the account and managing their gear is a nightmare at the moment. Does it mean there will be more than just two companions so at lease we can gear each one of them differently and won't have to go through this failure of a design?
- And is your heart black and full of hate? - Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch... -
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limitations between them carrying their own stuff and you being able to trade, sell, or store them separately. Probably.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are sworn to carry her burdens. Who is really the companion here?
  • eaglexk
    eaglexk
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, really. Why not make some companion bag like the craft bag - for ESO+ owners only so we can place there companion's gear only?
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you suggesting we are getting played by and for the companions?
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They said they don't want to give us yet another inventory to have to manage. They're doing us a favour. Honest. :'(
    PS4 EU
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Are you suggesting we are getting played by and for the companions?

Inventory is just the tip of the ice berg. The companion rapport system is much more controlling of the player character's behaviour.
    PC EU
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    Rudal wrote: »
    Does it mean there will be more than just two companions so at lease we can gear each one of them differently and won't have to go through this failure of a design?
    ZOS has stated that they intend to release other companions in the future. I expect we will have a total of 6 by next years Q2 release, further I suspect that at least 2 of them will be either crown crate or crowns.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But doesn't it mean anyway that buddys are there for each other? So it is only logical that we, as the companion of the companions, also carry their things... oh, wait - but that would mean they also carry our stuff, but I haven´t heard yet about that part.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    576ge4.jpg
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    They said they don't want to give us yet another inventory to have to manage. They're doing us a favour. Honest. :'(

Say WHAT? Inventory was only a problem to 'manage' because of the limited amount we have!! Thankfully they came out with craft bags... oh... and 'chests' we can BUY for additional storage. The Companion system's inventory fiasco CREATES even worse inventory management than helps!! :s
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    576ge4.jpg

I mean, look at their body language and it's perfectly clear what to expect. :D
  • Rudal
    Rudal
    ✭✭✭
    eaglexk wrote: »
    Oh, really. Why not make some companion bag like the craft bag - for ESO+ owners only so we can place there companion's gear only?

Even this would be acceptable.
    At the moment anything would be a better solution.
    - And is your heart black and full of hate? - Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch... -
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree... and when Blackwood drops, expect the forum to be FLOODED with complaints left and right... and then ZOS will be all, "Oh, we didn't realize this was a problem, we need to fix this, eventually, in a TBD patch" when IN FACT, people have been complaining on PTS since Companions were available for testing.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    576ge4.jpg

To hear some people on the forums, one might think that the companions ARE the burdens! 🤣
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    576ge4.jpg

To hear some people on the forums, one might think that the companions ARE the burdens! 🤣

I'll just say they don't live up to the hype they were given.
  • JadonSky
    JadonSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd put money on it that this is what they will do. Launch it so you have to carry their gear so you can see how horrible it is then next update make it so ESO+ has an unlimited inventory for Companion gear like crafting. Watch the ESO+ subscribers sore. Great marketing lol.
  • Rudal
    Rudal
    ✭✭✭
    JadonSky wrote: »

I'd put money on it that this is what they will do. Launch it so you have to carry their gear so you can see how horrible it is then next update make it so ESO+ has an unlimited inventory for Companion gear like crafting. Watch the ESO+ subscribers sore. Great marketing lol.

I've made comment about it and it got deleted and I've been issued a warning. So there is a good chance they will pull something like that off...
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crazepdx wrote: »
    576ge4.jpg

Since this was written before they went Live and having played them on Live for a couple of weeks now, I can say I am VERY happy with Companions as they are now.

Sure, the inventory sounds like it would be a burden, but not one I have noticed on Live. I don't need to be carrying 50 different types of gear on a single character... usually I keep any spare Companion gear in the bank and just call my banker when I need to swap a Companion to a different role. It's not ideal, but it works, so I personally don't see the 'sky is falling' inventory problem that so many complained or worried about. In fact, I even bought an extra inventory chest for Companion gear before they went Live just to be safe but I don't even use it because I don't have excess Companion gear beyond maybe 10 pieces that are in my bank... the pieces I don't need or want, I sell.
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    576ge4.jpg

Since this was written before they went Live and having played them on Live for a couple of weeks now, I can say I am VERY happy with Companions as they are now.

Sure, the inventory sounds like it would be a burden, but not one I have noticed on Live. I don't need to be carrying 50 different types of gear on a single character... usually I keep any spare Companion gear in the bank and just call my banker when I need to swap a Companion to a different role. It's not ideal, but it works, so I personally don't see the 'sky is falling' inventory problem that so many complained or worried about. In fact, I even bought an extra inventory chest for Companion gear before they went Live just to be safe but I don't even use it because I don't have excess Companion gear beyond maybe 10 pieces that are in my bank... the pieces I don't need or want, I sell.

Glad you are enjoying them I couldn't. I've gone back and broke out skyrim and eq. Blackwood kinda killed ESO for me. I havent logged in since a week after release. It kills me that 20 year old games could do the motivation for the grind and immersion better then a today's game.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well....does anything?
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • crazepdx
    crazepdx
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

Well....does anything?

Funny story. I wrote it that way because I was given a strike by the moderators for pointing out the coincidence of them releasing companions with no inventory, and storage chests going on sale just before release in the crown store.
    No, most things don't live up to the hype. However, if you go back arewatch zos advertising and hype for the companions. Then compare it to release the difference is dismal. Not just in inventory but in execution. They talk about stopping at an inn to relax and eat. Yet take them there and they don't take a seat or emote eating they stand there. I had Mirri once comment about stopping at the local inn, as we were leaving the inn! They, as a whole, felt very phoned in to me.