Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
· [IN PROGRESS] NA megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
· [IN PROGRESS] EU megaservers for maintenance – October 16, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236
· [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667236

EU has no EDT :(

Gelmir
Gelmir
✭✭✭
7 years in a row. Not a single time, @ZOS_GinaBruno , you guys have mentioned times in any of European timezones. Doesn't it occur to you that it is extremely difficult to most of us to convert mentioned times every time you make an announcement?! Shame really!
Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    there is UTC in bracelets (new version of GMT) or at upper left corner there is a flag that can be changed Deutsch or Français for CMT or Russian for MSK... some addition of clock that shows local time for user would be good as this forum is most populated from all time zones.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They normally give an alternative, namely UTC which is a universal time and therefore one that should be known to Europeans, plus it's easy enough once you've Googled a time zone conversion once to remember how many hours you are ahead of or behind EDT.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is UTC in bracelets (new version of GMT) or at upper left corner there is a flag that can be changed Deutsch or Français for CMT or Russian for MSK... some addition of clock that shows local time for user would be good as this forum is most populated from all time zones.

TESO has 4 languages: English, French, German, and Russian.

Germany has only one time zone.
    UTC+01:00 (CET)

Russia has 11 time zones:
    UTC+02:00 (Kaliningrad Time)
    UTC+03:00 (Moscow Time)
    UTC+04:00 (Samara Time)
    UTC+05:00 (Yekaterinburg Time)
    UTC+06:00 (Omsk Time)
    UTC+07:00 (Krasnoyarsk Time)
    UTC+08:00 (Irkutsk Time)
    UTC+09:00 (Yakutsk Time)
    UTC+10:00 (Vladivostok Time)
    UTC+11:00 (Srednekolymsk Time)
    UTC+12:00 (Kamchatka Time)

France has 12 time zones ranging from UTC-10 to UTC+12.
    This unusual span is due to France's scattered national territories.
    UTC−10:00 — most of French Polynesia
    UTC−09:30 — Marquesas Islands
    UTC−09:00 — Gambier Islands
    UTC−08:00 — Clipperton Island
    UTC−04:00 (AST) — Guadeloupe, Martinique, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin
    UTC−03:00 (PMST) — French Guiana, Saint Pierre and Miquelon
    UTC+01:00 (CET) — Metropolitan France
    UTC+03:00 — Mayotte
    UTC+04:00 — Réunion
    UTC+05:00 — Kerguelen Islands, Crozet Islands
    UTC+11:00 — New Caledonia
    UTC+12:00 — Wallis and Futuna

Basically, the suggestion for CET and MSK is very good.

what could be really useful is the Calendar official page, using cookie to convert UTC into the viewers' local time.
    in EVE Online calendar opens inside a game to check ingame events. This is even a better option for ESO, as Guildmasters could publish theis guilds schedules and details for Raids, Guild events and such, while Zenimax could inform players about upcoming and ongoing events, Bethesda twitch streams, Twitch drops, pledges, other happenings (and, of course, limited FOMO Crown Store offerings).
    PC EU
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    just for clarification, posted it to make life easier for people who don't know it yet: usually at most of notifications published on that version of the site there is time in EST and in bracelets time in UTC(most known at Europe as GMT) and on every other language version of the site there is time in mentioned local formats.

and for example tomorrow there will be twich stream https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/60091 if i want to check it at CET i just switch language from that flag at upper left corner.

and there are still a lot of time zones that have to go through time calculators...
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gelmir wrote: »
    7 years in a row. Not a single time, @ZOS_GinaBruno , you guys have mentioned times in any of European timezones. Doesn't it occur to you that it is extremely difficult to most of us to convert mentioned times every time you make an announcement?! Shame really!

You can copy the EDT time (with the EDT tag), paste it into google, hit search and it will show you how it relates to your timezone.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does Zenimax mention the UTC time for their actions? That is the best solution for anyone that lives far away from the home time zone for the game.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Extremely difficult"?

You type "time in new york" in a search engine . And it tells you.

This is just whining about absolutely nothing. I live in New Zealand, it's not hard to figure out timezones.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a friend in New York tell me in personal communication "I'll call you at noon, my time" is fine. I can Google that.

Having a system administrator who happens to work remotely from the US announce to thousands of people in Europe that they will take down their servers at "12PM to 2PM EDT" is a massive time thief, as the majority of the recipients will need extra time and effort to decipher the message.

It's all about respecting your audience, which is a fundamental part of effective communication.
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: EU megaserver for maintenance – May 20, 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)

What part about UTC do you not understand? That's a European time code...
    PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well thats why I like the german Forums. It always tells us the time in ME(S)Z (CET). Also the english one tells you the time in UTC right behind EDT, so why do you bother? The important parts of France share the CET, so its just UTC+1 (+2 if you use Summer Time).

What I do think is weird why do we calculate our time after UTC and not CET in Europe. Afterall every european country except Britain and Portugal uses CET till we meet Russia, Ukraine and so on in the east. Since the servers are located in Germany and with that in CET area, they really should count with that, especially since they seem to use that same logic for using EDT for the NA part.
    Edited by L_Nici on May 20, 2021 3:37PM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They frequently forget to give UTC times, including for event announcements and other well planned announcements. UTC is fine, when they remember to do the single conversion themselves instead of forcing about half of their audience to do it individually.
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on May 20, 2021 3:26PM
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    time-zone-map.png
    +0 is UTC (new GMT)
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They frequently forget to give UTC times, including for event announcements and other well planned announcements. UTC is fine, when they remember to do the single conversion themselves instead of forcing about half of their audience to do it individually.

lol It was there.
  • WilhelmTheSlayer
    This is what you're complaining about? Just google X UTC and it will convert to your local time.
    StamDK DD Nord

PC/EU
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can Google. That is not the point. The point is to write messages so it can be easily understood by the intended recipients. Announcing a EU-only maintenance slot with EDT as the primary time zone is a weird choice.
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reading last announcements https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/574428/ where @ZOS_GinaBruno has used BST (British Summer Time) i can imagine how it was trying to figure out Europe time zones... almost there :smile: . Give her some slack.
  • Katinas
    Katinas
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been like that for years. It's so rich to post maintenance times to playerbase based in Europe in some vague Americana time zones. Just do your research and learn what are relevant timezones for EU server, put a sticker somewhere if you cannot remember, and post the maintenance times in our timezones. Not in EDT, EST, or other irrelevant zones. Respect your playerbase.
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    Amusing to say the least @Gelmir

"FOR SEVEN YEARS MY LIFE HAS STOPPED FOR A NUMBER OF MINUTES WHILST I TRY TO DECIFER WHAT TIMEZONE REFERS TO ME..."

Really?!
    Everstorm wrote: »
    You can copy the EDT time (with the EDT tag), paste it into google, hit search and it will show you how it relates to your timezone.

This, this this ^

• honglatongla
    honglatongla
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:D
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, we can google everything (and due to info in ESO we are doing it anyway) BUT the thing is: Central Europe have two times - winter & summer, so sometimes difference to UTC is +1 and sometimes +2.

So it is quite easy to miss the timestamps (if you do not google it every freaking time).
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    Does absolutely everything have to be spoon-fed though?
    For some it would seem so.
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because math is hard...
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *accidental double post*
    Edited by M_Volsung on May 20, 2021 4:04PM
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    M_Volsung wrote: »
    Because math is hard...
    Gelmir wrote: »
    Doesn't it occur to you that it is extremely difficult to most of us to convert mentioned times...

Extremely Hard Difficult. ;)
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    Yanno what does have EDT? "Bethesda"
    Edited by ForeverJenn on May 20, 2021 4:17PM
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    They normally give an alternative, namely UTC which is a universal time and therefore one that should be known to Europeans, plus it's easy enough once you've Googled a time zone conversion once to remember how many hours you are ahead of or behind EDT.

I've been European for 50 years now, lived in many countries, and I never heard of UTC before I started playing ESO. We all use GMT +/- X. Maybe I'm just not with the times so to speak(no pun intended)...
  • Philio
    Philio
    ✭✭✭
    Malkiv wrote: »
    +0 is UTC (new GMT)

GMT is a time zone
    UTC is a time standard
    They are the same but different, UTC doesn't replace GMT, nowhere in the world uses UTC as a time zone.
  • PexCom
    PexCom
    Soul Shriven
    UTC is just fine for me.

EDT is also not applicable in all US states, so they have to do math too.
    Edited by PexCom on May 20, 2021 4:58PM
  • Ufretin
    Ufretin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kraezy wrote: »
    Does absolutely everything have to be spoon-fed though?

Not everything, no. However, considering that this is the second time this week that maintenance extends well into EU prime time, it would be a gesture of respect from ZOS towards their paying customers to at least acknowledge that fact.

Edited by Ufretin on May 20, 2021 5:13PM