Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What order to play content?

Ezuna999
Ezuna999
Soul Shriven
Hi there,

What order should I play content in?

Is there a preferred path as I'm getting bombarded with quests and feeling like it's all over the place?

Thanks
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that should be ZoS job to guide you trough fresh start. I really dont know to be honest its a bit messy.
    Edited by PigofSteel on May 17, 2021 3:40PM
  • NinjaApacHe
    NinjaApacHe
    ✭✭✭✭
    CP 2120+Lord Yakhin- Magicka NB - High Elf - DC Jack Templar - Stamina Templar - Dark Elf - DC Darth Morbius - Stamina Sorcerer - Dark Elf - DC Bloody Merril - Stamina Vampire NB - Redguard - DC Master Kun - Stamina DK - Redguard - DC Exarch Kun - Magicka Vampire NB - High Elf - DC Ace Bollah - Stamina Warden - Dark Elf - DC Icy Jack - Stamina Warden - Nord - DC Prior Tedas - Stamina NB - High Elf - DC 10 traits Woodworker - lvl 50 Enchanter - lvl 50 Alchemist - 10 traits Clothier & Smither - 10 traits jewelcrafterProud member of the Band of Daggers - www.bandofdaggers.eu
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish ZOS would actually look at this and see what a disaster they have created with their constant quest givers in major cities... just put quest activations in the JOURNAL... and let players decide when they want to activate them. It's really sad that going into a major city is such an awful experience anymore with an NPC quest giver on about every corner or inside buildings.

It never used to be like this, and going around Vulkhel Guard used to be a very nice experience... now, it's just annoying as hell. I am thankful I started playing when I did and didn't have to come in as a new player and deal with this confusing mess.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Base Game
    2. Craglorn
    3. Imperial City
    4. Orsinium
    5. Dark Brotherhood
    6. Morrowind
    7. Clockwork City
    8. Summerset
    9. Murkmire
    10. Wrathstone Dungeons
    11. Elsweyr
    12. Dragonhold
    13. Harrowstorm Dungeons
    14. Greymoor
    15. Stonethorn Dungeons
    16. Markarth
    17. Flames of Ambition Dungeons
    18. Blackwood

Thieves Guild, Murkmire, Scalebreaker Dungeons, and virtually all other dungeon packs are pretty much standalone and have story elements that pretty much ignore the rest of game continuity.

Scalebreaker is probably best enjoyed after Elsweyr/Selena’s Web dungeon though and Murkmire after Morrowind due to characters reappearing.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezuna999 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Is there a preferred path as I'm getting bombarded with quests and feeling like it's all over the place?

Thanks

When the game was new, the answer was inarguably:
    • Start in one of the three alliance zones and work your way through it.
    • Interweave that with doing the main quest.

That's still the best answer.

I'd start in Stros M'Kai if you want to practice game mechanics, or Daggerfall (a city in Glenumbra) if you're more confident. Khenarthi's Roost is also a good choice. Take the quest from the "Hooded Figure" almost immediately. Proceed from there.

For quite a while, ignore all the quest givers who want you to go to another zone. (Until you're ready to move on to the next zone in your alliance.) More precisely, pick up their quests so they'll shut up, but don't do anything with them.

Edited by FrancisCrawford on May 17, 2021 3:49PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Thanks

I'd start in Stros M'Kai if you want to practice game mechanics, or Daggerfall (a city in Glenumbra) if you're more confident. Khenarthi's Roost is also a good choice. Take the quest from the "Hooded Figure" almost immediately. Proceed from there.

For quite a while, ignore all the quest givers who want you to go to another zone. (Until you're ready to move on to the next zone in your alliance.) More precisely, pick up their quests so they'll shut up, but don't do anything with them.

^THIS so much this!!
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Savina
    Savina
    ✭✭✭
    Our guilds website has a guide that list the base games Main Story order and another that list the order of the DLC's

These guides are open to the public so everyone can use them.
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    It never used to be like this, and going around Vulkhel Guard used to be a very nice experience... now, it's just annoying as hell. I am thankful I started playing when I did and didn't have to come in as a new player and deal with this confusing mess.

"Do you know how long I have been looking for you!"
    "Traveller a moment of your time!"
    "How would you like to do something worthwhile?"
    "Halt Adventurer, you're the one I seek!"
    "Yeah the vision speaks true, you are the one my mistress seeks!"(something like that)
    "Dragons in your own homeland!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Thanks

This is what I did after starting ESO about 8 months ago. Now I just quest and do stuff randomly as there isn’t much coherence. It doesn’t bother me as I’m not ensconced in TES lore but for those looking for an immersive experience it would be tough. Guessing everything changed after the switch to One Tamriel though it does have advantages.

• Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My brother started playing the Morrowind dlc when I suggested he do the main story and alliance zones first
    then when he got to Rivenspire with his DC character, he told me he was bored to tears and quit the game :s (... and here I have done Cadwell silver and gold a few times, maybe I'm just a masochist :D )

Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »
    My brother started playing the Morrowind dlc when I suggested he do the main story and alliance zones first
    then when he got to Rivenspire with his DC character, he told me he was bored to tears and quit the game :s (... and here I have done Cadwell silver and gold a few times, maybe I'm just a masochist :D )

Just doing the zone quests can get boring. I started playing before One Tamriel update, before we had a gazillion DLCs and expansions, and the ones we had (basically Craglorn and Orsinium) where scaled to vet 16 (the highest vet level at the time), so if you were anything below that, the mobs could just look in your general direction and you'd die. And I got very burnt-out with just solo questing, so I get it, especially if you force yourself to do content that isn't interesting to you. Especially with the alliance quest lines. There's only so much fighting cultists any one player can take.
    Edited by jssriot on May 17, 2021 4:35PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • Ezuna999
    Ezuna999
    Soul Shriven
    Awesome help guys tyvm - reading through the advice now.

All I need now is for the servers to be online.....
  • Thechuckage
    Thechuckage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While its great that people have compiled resources for others, it is a GLARING issue on the developers. If your players have to go to outside sources for something as simple as "Here is the main story" then something has gone very, very wrong.
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Thanks
    Here's a flowchart
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • Vanathil
    Vanathil
    ✭✭✭
    While its great that people have compiled resources for others, it is a GLARING issue on the developers. If your players have to go to outside sources for something as simple as "Here is the main story" then something has gone very, very wrong.

There is actually a topic of this issue at the moment, and I guess this was already discussed several time in the past:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/573694/new-character-experience-is-a-complete-mess#latest
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sound advice
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there,

Thanks

Start from the far left

:#
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, in some cases it's best to just ignore them-- don't even accept them-- because accepting some of them (well, one that I know of for sure) can interfere with other quests (I'm looking at you, Abnur Tharn).

What I do is accept any quest I'm not sure about, then if it shows up under "Prologues" I abandon it just in case it might cause an issue. After that, I just ignore those questgivers until I'm ready to do their prologue quests.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Actually, in some cases it's best to just ignore them-- don't even accept them-- because accepting some of them (well, one that I know of for sure) can interfere with other quests (I'm looking at you, Abnur Tharn).

What I do is accept any quest I'm not sure about, then if it shows up under "Prologues" I abandon it just in case it might cause an issue. After that, I just ignore those questgivers until I'm ready to do their prologue quests.

What are examples of interference?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

What are examples of interference?
    Think its only one, Abnur Tharn in the Elsweyr prelude quest block you from freeing him in the main quest at least on an AD character as both the prologe and main quest will send you to the same delve, https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Wormroot_Depths

I tried this to see how the game reacted. started the prologue and came up to the time I was to go to the delves and I tried to do that part of the main quest but it did not start so no two versions of Tharn at once :)
    An fun thing in wormroot depths is that you can see players with an guild mage companion who is their Tharn.

Now on my next caracter I will will try to start the The Tharn Speaks quest and then the prologue
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

THE QUESTING GUIDE
    • A list of compiled quests where you'll find each major storyline in the game listed in chronological order, (defaulting to order of content release), where you can follow along or even check off your list you may have left uncompleted years ago.
    The Questing Guide Menu Showing the chronological order of quests by zone and a summary of your actions in each quest
    k8mYzMX.png

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons