The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is the crown store trash?

CountonMe
CountonMe
✭✭✭
[snip] They keep putting up the same [snip]. We need more skimpy costumes, more personalities, and other character modifiers, like maybe hair dyes!! Who the hell wants those tacky weapon packs and a stupid senche!! Get over the damn senche!! We have a green senche now as the gem exclusive. Now in a week we are getting a dark senche!! LAAAAAMMMMEEE!

[Edit for Bashing.]
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 12:42AM
  • LettuceBrain
    LettuceBrain
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I would much rather have more character customization items than mounts and weapon packs.
    they/them/theirs
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    agreed, 100% agreed

if it fills with more personality, hair styles etc, i might spend more, mounts....honestly i just recycle between 3 that i already own, the rest on the crown store not even appealing for me
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever there is a crown showcase, I "nope" through arms packs, furniture, pets. There will occasionally be an interesting mount or clothes item, but it does not happen often.

I would love to have the NPC clothing coming up as style pages or costumes, for example.
    PC-EU
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If there are enough people who buy things in their current form (and I assume that´s the fact) nothing will change. But I don't care since the crown store is not my field of interest anyway.
  • CountonMe
    CountonMe
    ✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    If there are enough people who buy things in their current form (and I assume that´s the fact) nothing will change. But I don't care since the crown store is not my field of interest anyway.

enough? How much money is enough? It's certainly not enough to keep the game from lagging.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    CountonMe wrote: »
    [snip] They keep putting up the same [snip]. We need more skimpy costumes, more personalities, and other character modifiers, like maybe hair dyes!! Who the hell wants those tacky weapon packs and a stupid senche!! Get over the damn senche!! We have a green senche now as the gem exclusive. Now in a week we are getting a dark senche!! LAAAAAMMMMEEE!

[Edit for Bashing.]

Biggest problem is that everything cool is barred not behind Crown Store but behind Gems which cost you fortune...
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 12:45AM
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Edit for Bashing.]

You have players whining that "the good stuff is being a paywall" to thank for that. It was the same with the daily login rewards, some of them were actually useful when the system started but whiners didnt like having to login to get the rewards so here we are working on our 10th stack of 200 Crown Purple Potions and Chicken Dinners.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 12:52AM
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my characters look like a basketball player riding a donkey with senches. Too smol.
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "more skimpy costumes"?

Nah, that's is a niche thing and if they were that in demand, we would get more.[Snip] You know what costumes the playerbase likes? Dresses. Which is why we got the 1200 crown Shimmerine dress that was and still in very popular. Myself, I'm waiting for cool suits that look good on both male and female toons and aren't catering to the vampire crowd but those aren't popular so I guess I'll just keep waiting.

And those weapon packs are far more popular that I think people like the OP realizes. I see people using them everywhere. There are people in my guilds begging to buy crowns for them. They most sell really well, to new and old players alike.

As for other items, a lot of things probably sell better than the regular playerbase realizes because few people will admit to buying the WW or Psijic skill line or riding lessons or whatever. And my theory on the chronic reskinning of things is that for newer players, it's the easiest way for them to get items we long-time players have. Want a senche mount and can't get that one that you see other players riding around but hasn't been in the Crown store since last year? Well, here's a reskinned one that'll do you over until the one you really want comes back to the store (for 5000 Crowns). It's gross but trust me, the Crown store is doing well. It maybe "trash" to your tastes but they know how to market this stuff because a lot of people are buying.

[Edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 18, 2021 1:20PM
    PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • CountonMe
    CountonMe
    ✭✭✭
    jssriot wrote: »
    "more skimpy costumes"?

Nah, that's is a niche thing and if they were that in demand, we would get more. [Snip] You know what costumes the playerbase likes? Dresses. Which is why we got the 1200 crown Shimmerine dress that was and still in very popular. Myself, I'm waiting for cool suits that look good on both male and female toons and aren't catering to the vampire crowd but those aren't popular so I guess I'll just keep waiting.

And those weapon packs are far more popular that I think people like the OP realizes. I see people using them everywhere. There are people in my guilds begging to buy crowns for them. They most sell really well, to new and old players alike.

As for other items, a lot of things probably sell better than the regular playerbase realizes because few people will admit to buying the WW or Psijic skill line or riding lessons or whatever. And my theory on the chronic reskinning of things is that for newer players, it's the easiest way for them to get items we long-time players have. Want a senche mount and can't get that one that you see other players riding around but hasn't been in the Crown store since last year? Well, here's a reskinned one that'll do you over until the one you really want comes back to the store (for 5000 Crowns). It's gross but trust me, the Crown store is doing well. It maybe "trash" to your tastes but they know how to market this stuff because a lot of people are buying.

I never heard of the nekkid crafting writs. I'll have to ask around about that. But, who does it hurt to have more personalities, skimpy costumes, and hair dyes? I dont think there is anyone that looks at that hideous forge wife costume and counts their blessings.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 18, 2021 1:20PM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »

[Edit for Bashing.]

Biggest problem is that everything cool is barred not behind Crown Store but behind Gems which cost you fortune...

Well it would cost some players a fortune...for other players it's just a drop in the bucket.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 12:59AM
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am somewhat disappointed with the showcases every month - it's filled with mounts and non-combat pets, which I find pretty boring, but there's rarely any character cosmetics like hairstyles and personalities.

Not to mention that we've had these unavailable hairstyles rubbed in our faces on NPCs (including a follower coming soon who's got one of the most hotly requested hairstyles in the game since it was made five years ago, and you don't get to hide his hair in any way...). Or the bard personality that was caught in a datamine last year, but has gone without a word...

It sometimes feels like the art team is doing nothing but making new Radiant mounts for the next crate season. People on the Corwn Store forum have been begging for things like hairstyles and personalities, and then all we get is "Here's another glowy senche to match with the new season!"

I don't mind the returns, since there are some things (like hairstyles, again) that have been out of the store for over three years now. If they made the point that the 'average CP is 400-something' like they did introducing Update 29, then there are likely a lot of newer players who weren't around three years ago. But again, ZOS decided that nobody's interested in things like the Heroic Poet hairstyle, we'd all prefer a rerelease of horse #27 instead.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with op. It is lame, half empty, and almost all the good stuff is never available or locked behind gambling. That's the reason I haven't spent a single cent in this game since more than a year now.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Primary reason for the dungeon boss arms packs is: Most of them shed light.
    PC NA
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's easy to slap a new skin on an existing model. Don't have to hire the art dept. It's why there's a million senche mounts and bear cub pets.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    more personalities? Yes
    Hair Dyes? Ok

....Skimpy Costumes? No
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I never heard of the nekkid crafting writs.

Hmmmm...I have heard of Naked fishing in Cyrodiil ... and Naked dolmens.

At least this is continuing a nice trend.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Cypherus
    Cypherus
    Soul Shriven

[Edit for Bashing.]

I couldn't agree more! As a new player (4 months now,) the biggest issue for me when it comes to the crown store is that the coolest stuff, especially mounts, costs gems and not crowns! And I'm not gonna spend crowns buying crates just to get enough gems in order to get those cool gems' stuff. The crates are another thing that's annoying too. It has a lot of awesome things but as I have been reading in these forums so far its RNG is so [Snip] UP that it's just not worth spending your money on crowns and then on crates.

[Edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 1:00AM
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[Edit for Bashing.]

Well it would cost some players a fortune...for other players it's just a drop in the bucket.
    Maybe consider another point might be the cost of the game/content, etc vs costs of things in the crown store for repetitively reskinned digital pixel cosmetics which can become quite uninteresting. The value there doesn't really make sense to some players feeling they are being sensible ...for other players it only seems to be a boast of unlimited wallet depth as a shallow status symbol.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 1:00AM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've often felt like there's a dire lack of creativity in ESO's "micro"transaction offerings... but more than once such opinions have been deemed to be in violation of the Forum Rules, so they don't usually stick around long.

I think it's a discussion worth having, though. I want more stuff. I am willing to BUY more stuff! IF they can pull their head out of... the sand... and start offering better stuff.

I do buy things I like when they come along, but so much of the Crown Store stuff just seems so... samey.

The last thing I can remember being really impressed by was the first Music Box that came out like 3 years ago. Ya know, with the original title theme music? So good. I don't think anyone really saw those coming, and that first one was pretty close to perfect... But even those have rehashed to the point where I just don't care about them anymore, tbh. :/

On the other hand, though; I guess we should just be happy to get what we have. They could be trying to sell us horse armor, instead of actually (somewhat) varied horses and such. It could be worse. :P
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hmm, once in a while I have noticed a "naked" person in the crafting area, but I did not know that was why.

I don't think my main is really the skimpy type -- she looks great, but it doesn't feel like her personality -- but I'd like to see what they come up with.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My elf loves costumes but has to reject most of them in the preview room. As a typical wood elf, she is slender and petite and few costumes follow her lines very well. Too many give her big feet, thick waist and chunky thighs. Some do a nice job of fitting properly (like Wood Elf Vanguard) so I know its possible but most don't.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like having new weapon looks options.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong, I do like having a variety of things - some times I want to make a weapon set look cool (still waiting for the Ilambris Arms Pack to rerelease), sometimes I'm into Crate goodies (the Sovngarde mounts were perfection), and even sometimes I like housing stuff (I'm bummed I didn't get the Kaalgrontiid statue now that I have a place to put it).

I just feel that the store leans a little heavily into the mount/pet/furniture side and way not enough into the hairstyle/personality side.

In terms of skimpy outfits though, I think a variety is a good thing, and there is definitely a lack of skimpier outfits... designed for men. Sure, we can wear costumes on both genders in game, but while a female character in a suit usually looks pretty good and tailored to her shape, a male character in a dress looks like a dude in a dress. We've got some examples of 'skimpier' men's outfits like the Gladiator costume or the Pirate outfit that do modify the top to keep the ladies covered, but the skimpier women's outfits like the Timbercrow Wanderer or the Doeskin and Chamois wear just leave the bra on for the guys. @Fischblut photoshopped a mockup of the Timbercrow that just took off the sports bra for men and it honestly looks 1000x better than what they ended up giving us in game. I'd love to see more shirtless costumes so the barbarians could wear something other than Sai's jack to show off their tattoos - Shor knows we get enough of them in Crown Crates. There was even a Barbarian costume datamined, but...
    ON-icon-costume-Barbarian.png
    ...like a lot of Crown Store things, ZOS has decided that we don't want that.

...but I also have one character who would love more dresses as well, the more elaborate the better. Some guys want to show off their abs, and some ladies want to look elegant and regal. Or vice versa, Tamriel's a free continent you know.

But yeah, ZOS, it's high time to start releasing some of this stuff that's been datamines, starting with all of those NPC hairstyles!
    Edited by tomofhyrule on May 18, 2021 1:47AM
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, crown store sucks most the time. We definitely need more hairstyles and dresses.

I'm still waiting on this costume:
    600px-ON-npc-Banji.jpg
    Cutest Khajiiti dress ever and it's for npcs only. C'mon zos, this one would buy so fast.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cypherus wrote: »

[Edit for Bashing.]

I couldn't agree more! As a new player (4 months now,) the biggest issue for me when it comes to the crown store is that the coolest stuff, especially mounts, costs gems and not crowns! And I'm not gonna spend crowns buying crates just to get enough gems in order to get those cool gems' stuff. The crates are another thing that's annoying too. It has a lot of awesome things but as I have been reading in these forums so far its RNG is so F$%¨&*UP that it's just not worth spending your money on crowns and then on crates.

Why just not use WoW recipe... Put mounts and cosmetic for 10-20€ in shop and thats it. I rarely see Apex mounts etc... Not everbody has thousands of dollars on top of that this game is B2P and Sub based + Gambling this is actually serious stuff players need to think about before they realise they are addicted to gambling.

"I would go to store for bread and baker would spin me a wheel and would say you have to buy juice... But i come for bread."
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on May 19, 2021 1:04AM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some stuff in the Crown Crates the look cool, but I'm not willing to spend money on something with a small chance to get something nice and an excellent chance to get crap.
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind more skimpy clothing as a hetero female who doesn't want to [Snip] at crafting stations... Adds flavor to be able to show off body modifications (like tattoos and markings).

[Edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 18, 2021 12:47PM
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind more skimpy clothing as a hetero female who doesn't want to [Snip] at crafting stations... Adds flavor to be able to show off body modifications (like tattoos and markings).

+ 1
    Feminine outfits that aren't floor length gowns or covered head to toe in armour. I just want to show off my tank's poppin quads.
    Edited by ZOS_Volpe on May 18, 2021 12:47PM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMO, crown store should be filled to brim with desirable stuff that can be bought with crowns instead of being lauch pad for crates. Too bad we will not get that until online gambling with loot crates is properly regulated in most places.