The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are monster sets worth using anymore?

Larcomar
Larcomar
✭✭✭✭✭
I know in trial stuff the meta has long been two separate crit pieces. But for everyday use, I've found monster helms reasonably effective and above all fun. And it lends itself to some cool builds eg elfbane + grothdar on my mag dk, selenes on my beary warden, maW on my pet sorc.

Looking at update 30 though, it now looks like they've now raised the spell / wpn damage requirement even further - "Sets that use Weapon and Spell Damage now require 6574 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 5478."

I can't conceive of getting anywhere near 5500 yet alone 6500 spell damage on my mag toons. The mag dk's probably trogging along at 3500 when BSW pops. No clue where my other mag toons are at, but I'd guess similar or lower - they're generally running stuff like MS, medusa. Stam toons maybe better off but that's still alot of wpm dmg.

Are monster helms now dead? - I'm assuming the reduction is vaguely linear? - ie if your spell dmg is 1/2 the new requirement, is the damage 1/2?

Given proc sets almost certainly are - they're fun in rnds but never scaled well in vet content anyway - are we all supposed to just stack crit now and forget anything else?
Edited by Larcomar on May 17, 2021 10:01AM
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Monster sets got hit hard with the introduction of mythics, this change will probably be the final nail in the coffin. And once again PvE gets screwed over because of PvP.
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Monster sets are not worth anymore imo. Maybe 1 or 2 sets that is. Else is just niche or role play.
    Edited by PigofSteel on May 17, 2021 10:29AM
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I feared. Was hoping, but.... So basically, they're letting pvp'rs use monster helms and proc sets again in cyrodiil. But nerfing them across the board to the point of uselessness. So now we're all limited to like 19 sets. Or at least, one's that don't have fun effects. I guess my Ilambris - OS - Thunderbug shock sorc's dead too :( Another toon running Julianos / MS / Medusa.... How interesting....... Were the sets with effects really causing that much server stress that they got to get rid of them?
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have 12 slots, we have 1,2,3 and 5 piece "sets".

The days of 2, 5 piece and a monster set may be going but with some thought on ZoS' side it could add a new dimension to build variety. Not holding my breath though.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We have 12 slots, we have 1,2,3 and 5 piece "sets".

The days of 2, 5 piece and a monster set may be going but with some thought on ZoS' side it could add a new dimension to build variety. Not holding my breath though.

It would be pretty cool if there were 4 piece sets, with weaker 4pc bonus than the standard 5pc bonus ofc.
    There are some 3pc sets so its not outside the realm of possibility.

You could use 3x 4pc or 5pc+4pc+2pc+mythic.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For magicka probably not since you have low multipliers for spell damage. It would have been more balanced to scale damage just like ultimate abilities and some skills, on either spall power (spell damage + maximum magicka/10.5) or weapon power (weapon damage + maximum stamina/10.5). And in PvP you can stack plenty of weapon damage even when reducing your main resource, so this kind of scaling would make sense if they were really trying to nerf proc sets in PvP.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have reading comprehension difficulty. May someone please tell me about this WD/SD requirement? I may very well have missed something.
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think I have reading comprehension difficulty. May someone please tell me about this WD/SD requirement? I may very well have missed something.

From PTS patch notes 7.0.2:

General

Made the following adjustments to item set scaling:
    • Sets that use Weapon and Spell Damage now require 6574 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 5478, resulting in approximately a 17% reduction.
    • Sets that use Magicka or Stamina now require 39,901 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 4% reduction.
    • Sets that use Health now require 43,968 to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 13% reduction.
    • Sets that use Physical or Spell Resistance now require 30,680 of either, up from 27,890, resulting in approximately a 9% reduction.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Next patch most will be useless on magicka DDs; the spell power values necessary to reach even *close* to their damage numbers on live are pretty much impossible to achieve.

Kiss your Skoria/Zaan/Grothdarr goodbye now; ZOS killed them.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

General

• Sets that use Weapon and Spell Damage now require 6574 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 5478, resulting in approximately a 17% reduction.
    • Sets that use Magicka or Stamina now require 39,901 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 4% reduction.
    • Sets that use Health now require 43,968 to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 13% reduction.
    • Sets that use Physical or Spell Resistance now require 30,680 of either, up from 27,890, resulting in approximately a 9% reduction.

I shd have probably cut and pasted it. Apologies. Worth having the list of monster sets too - while the health requirements sounds doable for a tank, and the max magicka requirement are certainly achievable, the vast maj scale off spell damage. Which, even if you were stacking it, looks unachievable:

Monster Masks
    The following sets now scale off of your Weapon or Spell Damage, whichever is higher:
    Domihaus' damage
    Grothdarr's damage
    Iceheart's damage
    Ilambris' damage
    Kjalnar's Nightmare's damage
    Kra'gh's damage
    Maw of the Infernal's damage
    Nerien'eth's damage
    Selene's damage
    Sellistrix's damage
    Spawn of Mephala's damage
    Stone Husk's damage
    Stormfist's damage
    Valkyn Skoria's damage
    Velidreth's damage
    Zaan's damage

The following sets now scale off of your Max Magicka or Stamina, whichever is higher:
    Chokethorn's heal
    Earthgore's heal
    Nightflame's heal

The following sets now scale off your Max Health:
    Lady Thorn's damage
    Scourge Harvester's damage
    Shadowrend's damage
    Thurvokun's damage

The following set now scales off of your Physical or Spell Resistance, whichever is higher:
    Tremorscale's damage

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Next patch most will be useless on magicka DDs; the spell power values necessary to reach even *close* to their damage numbers on live are pretty much impossible to achieve.

Most players will probably use one of the new Mythics so its not such a problem to trade in a monster set.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Most players will probably use one of the new Mythics so its not such a problem to trade in a monster set.

They will, but

1. That's going to get nerfed into the ground just like the Stranglers did; I can already feel it, and
    2. The monster set procs are so fun :( I *want* to wear them, but the DPS is going to be too low to be useful.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larcomar wrote: »

General

I shd have probably cut and pasted it. Apologies. Worth having the list of monster sets too - while the health requirements sounds doable for a tank, and the max magicka requirement are certainly achievable, the vast maj scale off spell damage. Which, even if you were stacking it, looks unachievable:

Monster Masks
    The following sets now scale off of your Weapon or Spell Damage, whichever is higher:
    Domihaus' damage
    Grothdarr's damage
    Iceheart's damage
    Ilambris' damage
    Kra'gh's damage
    Nerien'eth's damage
    Selene's damage
    Sellistrix's damage
    Stone Husk's damage
    Stormfist's damage
    Valkyn Skoria's damage
    Velidreth's damage
    Zaan's damage

The following sets now scale off of your Max Magicka or Stamina, whichever is higher:
    Chokethorn's heal
    Earthgore's heal
    Nightflame's heal

Lady Thorn's damage
    Shadowrend's damage
    Thurvokun's damage

The following set now scales off of your Physical or Spell Resistance, whichever is higher:
    Tremorscale's damage

I am no expert on magicka, cause I always prefer stamina chars, but with increased base dmg from dual/2h weapons, bonus from medium armour & bonus from fighters guild, stamina chars will reach those values far easier than magicka?
  • Sneaky-Snurr
    Sneaky-Snurr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

General

Thank you. Have this insightful. <3
    The Order of the Shadows: Nightmare
      EP CP810 Nightblade
      AD CP810 Templar
      AD CP810 Dragon Knight
      AD Lvl 25 Sorceror
      DC Lvl 23 Nightblade
    {PC•NA•no-CP Ravenwatch}

Shadow hide you. -Unknown
    There is no clean fight in a war. -Shun Izaki
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new Mythics will be nerfed after a few cycles just like Thrassian & Co. but the monster sets will stay sh... until the next major overhaul in 1d6+2 years.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They will, but

1. That's going to get nerfed into the ground just like the Stranglers did; I can already feel it, and
    2. The monster set procs are so fun :( I *want* to wear them, but the DPS is going to be too low to be useful.

Yes, I agree. New strong mythics are most likely getting nerfed once everyone farmed them.

Only viable magicka proc set for DPS is probably Zaan (strong 1pc effect plus strong proc) if you use a high spell dmg set like Siroria. Sets like Maw will be very much effected by the nerf, the 1pc bonus is not great so a weaker 2pc effect will just make is useless (tanks will be happy though).
    PC - EU (AD)
  • jssriot
    jssriot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mythics are part of antiquities, and aside from being a time-consuming, mental health-draining pain to acquire, are still pay-walled behind Greymoor. So it is kind P2W-ish and that sucks. Granted, ESO has been sliding down the P2W slippery slope for a while now but hey.

PC-NA since 2015. Tired and unimpressed.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jssriot wrote: »

Mythics are part of antiquities, and aside from being a time-consuming, mental health-draining pain to acquire, are still pay-walled behind Greymoor. So it is kind P2W-ish and that sucks. Granted, ESO has been sliding down the P2W slippery slope for a while now but hey.

Doesn’t Greymoor become part of the base game when Blackwood comes out?

I always buy the new chapter, so I am not sure exactly how this works.
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont know why anyone would not want to use a monster set. Aside from them just being awesome, the damage you get from them along with the single stat is more then what you would get from another stat piece that just got nerfed. 1 extra crit piece often results in less damage unless you over crit where the damage from the monster set is about 3k self buffed.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTF are they doing just butchering everything. Im still not over the CP attack and now this BS.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at what devs did to Maarselok monster set :s
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Doesn’t Greymoor become part of the base game when Blackwood comes out?

I always buy the new chapter, so I am not sure exactly how this works.

It becomes a DLC, so players with ESO+ will automatically get it. But not base-game.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »
    WTF are they doing just butchering everything. Im still not over the CP attack and now this BS.

Oh, don't get me started on what they're doing to CP. But apparently, we asked for it :)
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

[/quote]

I am no expert on magicka, cause I always prefer stamina chars, but with increased base dmg from dual/2h weapons, bonus from medium armour & bonus from fighters guild, stamina chars will reach those values far easier than magicka?[/quote]

True - stam users will get more out of magika monster sets than magika users now. But I'm not sure stam users will be able to use proc sets any better. I mean, you'd have to wear hundings + NMA or something to get enough wpn dmg to the point its worth using them..... :)
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

General

Looks like ZOS saw the builds people were making on PTS, and finally adjusted proc sets like crimson. This is a good change, glad they're being proactive about this.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Radiance wrote: »

Oh, don't get me started on what they're doing to CP. But apparently, we asked for it :)

Not sure 'we'' asked them to lower the floor & everything else, but I guess that's what we get!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are monster helms now dead? - I'm assuming the reduction is vaguely linear? - ie if your spell dmg is 1/2 the new requirement, is the damage 1/2?

I used 2 different pieces since along time, because I always felt better doing so. Not relying on a possibiliety but wanting stats that hold. What use is a proc when it comes to late or to early. Nah, not my thing, but the 1 piece stats are oft very usefull, for me at least.
  • Jacozilla
    Jacozilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Gear acquired from new content is P2W now? Paraphrasing a line from Princess Bride, I don’t think that means what you think it means.
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably going to end up crit/crit for PVE and Domihaus/pen for PVP. Who even cares anymore. Class imbalance is a much bigger issue. Most proc sets were only ever good for cheesy OP PVP builds or for comedy value in PVE. They can nerf them into the ground as far as I'm concerned.

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

General

Monster Masks
    Domihaus' damage
    Grothdarr's damage
    Iceheart's damage
    Ilambris' damage
    Kra'gh's damage
    Nerien'eth's damage
    Selene's damage
    Sellistrix's damage
    Stone Husk's damage
    Stormfist's damage
    Valkyn Skoria's damage
    Velidreth's damage
    Zaan's damage

Chokethorn's heal
    Earthgore's heal
    Nightflame's heal

Lady Thorn's damage
    Shadowrend's damage
    Thurvokun's damage

Tremorscale's damage

I am no expert on magicka, cause I always prefer stamina chars, but with increased base dmg from dual/2h weapons, bonus from medium armour & bonus from fighters guild, stamina chars will reach those values far easier than magicka?

But magicka get advantages over all stam in the area of penetration and over melee stam with their range. (There's a reason a bow is the same base damage as a staff, not a 2-handed melee weapon.)