The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

New Class 2021? Thoughts?

• Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a naked balance on our current classes?
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »
    How about a naked balance on our current classes?

Balance and/or revitalization on the current classes (especially the older base game ones) would be much more welcome compared to a new class in my eyes. (With a few exceptions, such as the introduction of the ever-requested Battlemage).

I really would like ZOS to run this experiment. Take each class, and put CP 160 level gear on each of them, but with no traits, set bonuses or enchants. Just armor weight based on the desired role/approach to combat. Do it for all the specs, and then see how they compare and compete against each other. And, I don't mean individual skills—I mean the whole kit. So what if Class A's Skill-Type X does more damage than Class B's version. If the kits are remotely balanced, one more powerful ability will hardly matter, since every class will have a few skills of that sort. Any class that is unable to perform adequately in that scenario is then brought up to the level of the other classes, somehow.

Then each class is assigned 6 points to put into the three categories of Damage Dealing, Tanking, and Healing to determine the effectiveness of them in that role. 3 points into a category is Best/Optimal, 2 points is Great/Good, and 1 point is Decent/Viable. Each class has to put at least one point into each category, and can't put more than 3 into any category. I would imagine the results would be as follows:

Templar: 3-Healer, 2-Damage Dealing, 1-Tanking
    Nightblade: 3-Damage Dealing, 2-Healer, 1-Tanking
    Sorcerer: 3-Damage Dealing, 2-Tanking, 1-Healer
    Dragonknight: 3-Tanking, 2-Damage Dealing, 1-Healer

Warden: 2-Damage Dealing, 2-Healer, 2-Tanking
    Necromancer: 2-Damage Dealing, 2-Healer, 2-Tanking

These numbers can determine the relative proportions of skills in the toolkit for those roles, how skill lines are allocated, what buffs are in the kits, etc. But, you either determine that each class can excel in one area with the caveat that it is just decent in another. Or, you determine that every class can be good in all areas, but master none. Ideally, the former is opted for since that leads to stronger identity.

Then, once the kits have been balanced, and identity reinforced (esp. regarding roles and relative strength/optimization for roles), new classes can be added. For instance (to use often-seen class suggestions):

Battlemage: 3-Damage Dealing, 2-Tanking, 1-Healer
    Monk: 3-Healing, 2-Damage Dealing, 1-Tanking
    Bard: 3-Healer, 2-Tanking, 1-Damage Dealing
    Elementalist: 3-Damage Dealing, 2-Healer, 1-Tanking
    Artificer: 3-Tanking, 2-Damage Dealing, 1-Healer

(Just a thought)
  • Mionikoi
    Mionikoi
    ✭✭
    Maybe not a 'class' but a skill line for Unarmed. Perhaps it won't even really need created assets per say. We could have rings also set in Main Hand and off hand. Armor could effect specific stats depending on weight and placement. Even race, werewolf\vampire could have bearing? Magicka and stamina morphs?

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/573461/unarmed-skill-line/p1?new=1

Come talk about it.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Athan1 wrote: »
    Xargas13 wrote: »
    There are some mentions of blood magic in the game, I would love to see a Blood Mage class, game needs more dark themed classes in my opinion, as we have only necromancer, sorc isn't dark at all, yes he summons daedra and have dark magic tree, but it doesn't feel dark, no offence to anyone, but sorc is a poser compared to necro when it comes to edgy stuff. GIVE US MORE EDGE!!! :D

100% agree. Give us a cultist or hexer. I don’t want something that been done before in other games of the series. I want new stuff.
    Siphoning and vampirism are the blood magic skill lines, on top of three necromancy and death skill lines so no thank you.

We have more than enough classes so let's leave it that pls.

I never said anything about Blood Magic

Aside... You "100% agree" with a comment about adding Blood Magic in the form of a Blood Mage. :confused:

Cultists are commonly what we fight. They aren't really a class, like the Necromancer. They are more of a description. You will have to elaborate more. If your intention was not to make them a follower of some manner of Blood Magic cult, then what are they?

If you are going to suggest a "Hexer", you will have to define that, too. I have seen it described as something that uses curses based on blood magic. It is also a translation for "Witcher", as in Geralt, which takes it off in the different direction of Signs. If the idea is to do Witcher in Elder Scrolls, I would suggest a "no" to that. By the time the lore was made to align, they would just be spell sword that is part of the Vigilants of Stendarr cult or Dawnguard.

As for doing something that has not been done in the series, the basic answer to that frequently seems to be pulling some special thing out of another game. Elder Scrolls sort of takes the generic middle ground in this respect.

I was agreeing generally rather than specific to blood magic. I was thinking something that would apply curses and maybe a touch of Oblivion Damage based on Max Health. Then with some Alteration and Illusion skills in the tank line. Could be released alongside a new Witchhunter guild that has a few skills of its own.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need another Class with a physical/melee power fantasy. Something like Monk (the animations for which already exist) or Barbarian.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone wants spell sword or new non staff option for Magicka.

I want bards
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last min i played died for me since they stated no more classes. Just saying.

Also, I want monk. Khajiit adepts are too cool.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a Ranger class. Something that has a DPS skill line that synergizes well with a bow/bow build, the healing tree with nature-themed heals, and a tanking tree that grants defense bonuses when you have a summonable.

I know, it sounds a bit like the Warden, but the warden's damage tree just doesn't fit my vision of a bow-based build, and the ice skill tree doesn't really fit into the theme either.
  • tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭
    id prefer spellsword(offhand relic/orb), with flame atronach as ult summon(permanent), 2 ranged/melee double taps(like dw's throw dagger morph and other tag teleport/pull skills), 1 pure range and 1 pure melee.

and what class possibilities are left, sorc has since launch had summon monkey/chicken and harpy, a borked shards skill(it was fine back in the day and we have psijic for imbue, which is cooler than shards at the end of the weapon)
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too would like a new class. Although my personal choice would be "90s rap metal vocalist". I don't think it's very likely, however.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    id rather a new wep class like 1h+rune or spears at this point.

Loved the warden but I just didnt like necros, and at that point its just a bit sad, the entire new massive feature for an expansion falls flat and you're left with nothing else to playwith (other than the new map ofc but im talking the new "feature", like companions and classes). A weapon skill line is desperately wanted, usable by all, and would be a first since launch.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • weizekai_ESO
    weizekai_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Wow wondering how many classes will have after update
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please no not another P2W class :/
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that you cannot have a stamina based class added to the game. Reason being is that if someone wants to go Magicka with said class, they are heavily restricted on skill options. The only solution would be to add more Magicka options within the class itself and then you just end up with another class whose kit is mostly Magicka. If you didn’t and commited most skills to Stamina, then Magicka builds would be seriously underpowered leading to complaints in the community. This would then lead to the developers responding and making the class Magicka focused again. That’s why Stam classes cannot be a thing at least until weapon skills get more Magicka options added first.
    Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on May 20, 2021 6:04AM