Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Old Tutorials

Legoless
Legoless
✭✭✭✭
With the new Adamantine Tower tutorial, old tutorial quests can no longer be completed and are effectively deprecated content. This is a shame as they usually tie into the story of their particular Chapter.

Please make these quests available to all players, similar to what was done for the Soul Shriven in Coldharbour tutorial.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. The devs spent time crafting these experiences, its a shame that these quests will go unused now, especially since they give additional context.
    Edited by Aliyavana on April 29, 2021 9:32PM
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed.

Some of us came along later. I'd love to see the summerset and morrowind tutorials/intros. Elseweyr was fantastically tied into the story. I purposely made new toons just to check out the Greymoor intro. A few times now.
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    Legoless wrote: »
    Please make these quests available to all players, similar to what was done for the Soul Shriven in Coldharbour tutorial.
    I still have some very fond memories of doing the original Coldharbour tutorial quest back in late beta / early release. Since then I have made it a habit to go and do the new tutorial quests every year and while they are all great in their own way, none of them really hold a candle, for me anyway, to the original Coldharbour tutorial quest.

But, as you said, they all tie into their respective expansions and as such they should get similar treatment to the ColdHarbour tutorial quest. Not sure how they trigger a couple of them, but they have creative people who could figure it out.

• axan22
    axan22
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed new tutorial is way to short to actually tell new players about the game, old ones were better but so much excellent content, make portals take you to old tutorial otherwise game doesn't make sense, summerset shows you ruins etc in cinematic but then skips them, you arive on the cart in the cinematic for greymoor but that amazing tutorial is skipped, so your left outside a cave with no idea what to do.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I like the new unified tutorial and the fact that you get to choose where to go after that, but currently what happens immediately after that choice doesn't make sense.

If you choose a former chapter as your starting point then you see the introduction, which is supposed to lead into the tutorial and doesn't make sense otherwise. For example the Greymoor one ends with you being captured by witches, but then you find yourself just standing in the middle of nowhere in Western Skyrim, with nothing to say you need to go to Solitude to pick up the zone's main story (and in fact no direction of any kind, which is not great for new players).

If you choose a starting island then you find yourself close to where you'd originally have dropped out of Coldharbour and can do the starter island's story first (again, assuming you find the right NPC to start it) with no explanation for why you're there or why these people are so willing to involve you in events, or if you know how you can go to a major city to pick up the main story, which will show you the original introduction and take you to Coldharbour, then when you get out you're back on the starter island.

There's two ways I can see that playing out:
    1) An informed player wanting to do the story in order has the annoyance of having to leave the island and find the Hooded Figure to start the main story before coming back to the island.
    2) An uninformed player (like someone new to the game) doesn't know to do that so they follow quests as they find them, completing the starter island before moving on. Later on they find the main quest, go through Coldharbour and are then dropped onto an island they've already visited with instructions to seek out people who can help them but with no quests to find and no directions for where to go next.

Whatever choice you make it's not great and all of the above could be fixed by ensuring that leaving the new tutorial puts you into the one for the zone you've chosen.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do miss being able to do the old quests, even if that means we're essentially getting the 'how to heavy attack' training twice.

It'd be great if, when we went through the portals, we were able to select whether we wanted to start the quest or just pop into the zone, perhaps giving us the option of going to Seyda Neen directly or going to the boat on the Inner Sea.

I only tried the new tutorial once so far, but I loved when choosing Morrowind and it gave me the cinematic again, which showed the boat right at the end... and then promptly deposited my character on the docks at Seyda Neen. I'm sure the Greymoor version of getting attacked in a carriage and then suddenly ending up outside Deepwood would be even more jarring (besides the fact that Deepwood Vale is beautiful and I will be sorry to see it gone forever)

I know I don't need the quests rewritten to remove anything, I'll get a second heavy attack lesson from Naryu if it means I can see it again. The only thing we'd need is to have the skill point at the end of Broken Bonds/Mind Trap/Bright Moons, Warm Sands/Bound in Blood removed.
  • axan22
    axan22
    ✭✭✭
    Please dont let great content be lost in the nether gives us the old tutorals as intro quests.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make them quests you can do (like the prologues) or turn them into a delves.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the motivation behind the new tutorial design is probably a desire to reduce workload going into a chapter; essentially, I suspect ZOS is tired of building a whole new story-specific tutorial each year and folding it into the existing content, only to have players then complain that they're getting plopped out into an expansion rather than the proper "beginning" of the game. Which is kinda reasonable I suppose, as I can imagine you get bored of designing yet another way for the influx of new players to learn blocking and light attacks.

That said, I don't see much harm in either requiring or at least allowing players to go through two tutorials, or in making the first tutorial skippable ("I already know how to fight" dialogue option); or thus retaining the option to play the tutorials from the base game through Greymoor.

It could just be set up so that if you choose Blackwood and onwards for your starting spot the Adamantine Tower is your tutorial.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if it were possible to access Keywright's Gallery again at the end of each questline, maybe through the Direnni NPC opening a portal, and for each gate in the Gallery to lead to the relevant starter quest, rather than dropping you inexplicably at the exit of the quest location.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    It would be great if it were possible to access Keywright's Gallery again at the end of each questline, maybe through the Direnni NPC opening a portal, and for each gate in the Gallery to lead to the relevant starter quest, rather than dropping you inexplicably at the exit of the quest location.

Absolutely. I was surprised this wasn't the case. Would be a good chance to make use of the content and offer a main quest hub.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The playerbase has been begging for the ability to choose your own tutorial and have the beginning of the game play out in a way that is helpful to new players who inevitably get confused as to the chronology of events and where they should go, instead of just dropping them into the newest zone. What we got is not what we've been asking for.

Instead, a) we are still missing out on all previous tutorials, which is the direct opposite of what we wanted, and b) the NPC doesn't guide you in terms of chronology, which is also the opposite of what we wanted, so new players are still going to be confused.

So my suggestion is to keep the Adamantine Tower as the new starting point for players, but a) have the portals lead you to the already existing tutorials for the chapters, as is with no changes needed, and b) do something like have the NPC state with surprise that all the events shown in the portal appear to be taking place at different times and ask you if you want to start at the beginning, which would direct you to the original Coldharbour tutorial and then take you as normal to your alliance starter island. That way you avoid the problem of going straight to the starter island, working through the quests, and then meeting the Hooded Figure who takes you to Coldharbour and then returns you to the starter island you just left.
    Edited by ectoplasmicninja on May 9, 2021 3:31PM
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instead, a) we are still missing out on all previous tutorials, which is the direct opposite of what we wanted, and b) the NPC doesn't guide you in terms of chronology, which is also the opposite of what we wanted, so new players are still going to be confused.
    Just played through the new tutorial for the first time and this is exactly the issue. The chronology is totally confused and you are just plopped into the world.

Depressing to see all these story-heavy old tutorial quests get disabled rather than re-integrated as regular content, as was done with the Coldharbour tutorial.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just played through the new tutorial for the first time and this is exactly the issue. The chronology is totally confused and you are just plopped into the world.

Depressing to see all these story-heavy old tutorial quests get disabled rather than re-integrated as regular content, as was done with the Coldharbour tutorial.

Are all the old cutscenes still there? If so, that wouldn't even make any sense narratively.
    • Ship crossing the Inner Sea attacked > Randomly standing in Seyda Neen for no reason
    • Exploring Eldbur Ruins, collapse around you > Randomly standing near Shimmerine
    • Caravan attacked by dragons > Randomly outside a Khajiit temple
    • "Take them to the barrow" > Not in a barrow
    • (Does Blackwood even have a cutscene?) > Randomly outside an Ayleid ruin
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    [*] (Does Blackwood even have a cutscene?) > Randomly outside an Ayleid ruin
    [/list]
    Haven't tested the others but Blackwood has no cutscene, you are just plopped outside the sealed entrance to Telepe and directed towards Leyawiin.
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭

Are all the old cutscenes still there? If so, that wouldn't even make any sense narratively.
    • Ship crossing the Inner Sea attacked > Randomly standing in Seyda Neen for no reason
    • Exploring Eldbur Ruins, collapse around you > Randomly standing near Shimmerine
    • Caravan attacked by dragons > Randomly outside a Khajiit temple
    • "Take them to the barrow" > Not in a barrow
    • (Does Blackwood even have a cutscene?) > Randomly outside an Ayleid ruin

They got rid of the cutscenes.

The new "Blackwood" cutscene is more like the first one, with Varen narrating and showing scenes of the base game areas, dark anchors and the Alliance War, but panning at the end to the Balfiera Isle.
    Edited by Inval1d on June 4, 2021 12:03AM