Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Heavy armor detection range penalty and sneak attacks

Harvall
Harvall
✭✭✭
New penalties for heavy armor make it imposibble to sneak. I get that that i should have a penalty for detection range and i am OK with that. the bug is in how it is applied in-game. Imagine i sneak in front or side of the enemy NPC but at a safe distance, so that i am in his angle of vision but too far for him to spot me. The way it works now it seems is to be applying its penalty range right in the moment when the sneak indicator closes the eye completely (hidden), in consequence immediately breaking you out of stealth. When broken (detected), penalty detection range mo longer applies and makes you slowly hide again, and when hidden applies again and makes you detected. This cycle continues over and over again and snaps between hidden and detected until you either
-move far enough so that even when penalty range applies, you are out of NPC sight range
-move close enough so that you are detected even without the penalty range.

I dont know why Penalty is applied in the moment we are hidden instead of all the time. Maybe make it into a permanent debuff with it strength variable depending on how many pieces of Heavy armor one has equipped or a buff depending on how many pieces of medium armor one has (if perk is bought in Medium armor skill line) with the buff and debuff nulifying each other if someone has pieces of both armors on his character. That way the buff/debuff tooltip could tell us in percent and/or meters what our detection range is

Or we could get another line in this new advanced stats section of character screen that would show us our current detection range.

if is a single enemy NPC in a wide area you can still thechically sneak behind it but you need to sneak from far away directly behind him, but often thats impossible because other mobs are in there too and will see you due to the detection range penalty which is supposed to happen so i am content. You should be visible after all in shiny clanky armor.

Sneak attacks are broken too, but i did not test it properly yet. From what i have noticed when sneak attack triggers, Enchantment damage applies a milisecond before an actual direct damage from a weapon, therefore an NPC notices you a milisend before you land the main hit, rendering sneak attacks impossible. Seems to be working on some skills tough. If someone has more insight on this or notices something else let me know,

I play on PC EU
Edited by Harvall on April 27, 2021 8:21AM
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a fix for sneak damage in update 30.

Thread from the bug reports section:https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/564500/sneak-attack-mechanic-not-working-after-u29#latest
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It does feel like the penalty is applied AFTER you hide, instead of before.

This results in constantly "winking" with the eye closing slowly and then opening immediately over and over unless you move farther away.

It would be better if it just never closed in the first place if you were too armored to hide.
    PC NA
  • Harvall
    Harvall
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    It does feel like the penalty is applied AFTER you hide, instead of before.

This results in constantly "winking" with the eye closing slowly and then opening immediately over and over unless you move farther away.

It would be better if it just never closed in the first place if you were too armored to hide.

That's exactly my point. The penalty should be applied all the time so the eye would never close. That is how it should be after all. They can see and hear clanky armor. Current state just makes things annoying as hell