Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

The game needs a huge Continuity Patch! Players deserve a good and holistic story in TESO!

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unstoppable. Oh Divines, the horror......

I've sent /feedback in the game, asking, no, begging for the chance to *buy* a OH PLEASE AKATOSH LET ME FAST-FORWARD THE PROPHET'S enter my mind vestige SPEECH button in the crown store. Same thing for Mannimarco's monologues. They aren't bad the first half dozen times or so, but it does get really annoying by alt 18, or more on your second account.

If they actually attempt your "explanation" idea, they'll run into even more issues. How long does the "stop the planemeld" quest take? What is going on in the meantime? What does finishing the faction story do to the time frame? How do you set markers when some players decide to complete the Fighters guild story before touching the faction story? How do you account for players doing quests in any order they wish to? What happens when you start a quest then get distracted by another one or three before you complete the first one? How long is that npc going to wait for rescue? Is time passing in the game? Are those dying scouts going to wait until I get around to tracking the plague in Deshaan? Isn't finding the nearly naked Nord's pants a priority? What happens if there's content you don't want to do? If you have to do content in order, how do you deal with players who don't want to be a thief or assassin but have the content?
    Options
  • Treshcore
    Treshcore
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I wrote many complains on game's broken storyline, I still was (and probably still is) a loyal TESO player. I tried to put the contradicting events and facts into some sort of a headcanon, setting "other" alliances' storylines as a prequel to "my" alliance storyline and the Main Quest itself. Like, I was a free mercenary across all the Tamriel, became a hero in "other" alliances, but then my soul got captured, I've lost all my memories and became The Vestige, then as The Vestige I completed my alliance's story and Main Quest, and after returning my soul I became an ultimate hero who is well-known across all the Tamriel (but maybe as different personalities). Also I declined most of the Meridia's and Cadwell's statements about The Light of Meridia, making it another trick by her which simply activated these lost memories in me.

However, I met a different problem... Many different problems trying to explain all these things I wrote here and not here as well.
    • "Other" alliance's leaders during "Message Across Tamriel" and "Weight of Three Crowns" won't recognize you, if you played their alliances' storylines, but certain characters from these storylines (such as Darien Gautier or Skordo the Knife) will recognize you and say their "Hello, nice to meet YOU". A very straight and rude inconsistence.
    • When you play through other alliances' stories, you are still referred as the "Soulless One". As an Ebonheart Pact player who have already returned the soul, I was confused to see an Ordinator in Grahtwood who told me that... And was completely destroyed since one of the story quests in Bangkorai clearly tells you: "You don't have a soul and this is why you can enter this place".
    All this means that if you would even like to create your personal headcanon, it will be broken... GIVING YOU NO CLEAR EXPLANATION IN RETURN!

Look, I am sorry for demanding any changes in the original first post of this thread. For a few last days, I was really feeling like I underrated TESO's potential in explaining things in headcanon. Like it's a riddle everyone is supposed to uncover in their own way.
    However, after I ran into more and more inconsistences, I slowly stopped to believe in any headcanon potential, understanding that it's just a bad writing or even it's complete lack! One Tamriel was simply implemented, but no explanation for it was given! It feels like all the characters in TESO, including alliance leaders and our protagonist are crazy: one moment they are friends, second moment they don't know each other!
    I'd like the official writers to explain these inconsistences here, on this forum, from the in-universe perspective (just like Morrowind writers made Dragon Break to explain Daggerfall's endings), not real-life one. Even though their works is very good in separate quests and storylines, a connection between them and the game's timeline feels completely destroyed. It should be explained. With all the respect, being a writer is not a physical job - it's a job of mind and imagination which is incomplete. As a customer who bought this game and bought crowns I feel almost betrayed.
    Thank you for your attention.
    Edited by Treshcore on May 15, 2021 9:13AM
    Even though TESO is a great game, it suffers from continuity issues that may hurt narrative experience and confuse lore-caring players. If we want TESO to be a decent exemplar in The Elder Scrolls series, these problems need to be fixed. Please, acknowledge with this information more in this thread. Thank you.
    Options
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally, you couldn't play other faction storylines on any particular character. Cadwell's Silver and Gold were implemented to meet the criticism that you couldn't play all content, like you could on the SPTs.

Only, they totally half-assed it. The premise is weak and weird, and as we explore ever more content, it makes less and less sense.
    Options
  • TiaFrye
    TiaFrye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please keep in mind that Cadwell sends you to other Alliances on Meridia's behalf and what's happening in their storyline is already happened in your timeline.
    Essentially the whole thing makes sure that 3 leaders will be alive and well (with your help) by the time the meeting on Stirk is being held. If they wasn't, no invasion to Coldharbour, no saving the world.

And please stop with Dragonbreaks...
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Treshcore wrote: »
    Last few days were a little disappointment for me as for a dedicated The Elder Scrolls fan and TESO enjoyer.
    After completing the final mission, "God of Schemes", I was forced to start "Cadwell's Silver", where I have to go to my enemies' lands.. and for what reason?

As a new player myself, I have recently completed these same quests but I was not forced to go into Cadwell's Silver. Yes, I read someone say we cannot delete the quest but no one forces us to do them. Maybe Zos can make it so we can delete it so those who do not like it will be happy. It is just a direction I can go if I choose to.

I think Cadwell also explains the reason. Essentially to see the world through the eyes of the other alliances and this is really a great diversity exercise. It is great for seeing that each area has suffered and maybe those that become enlightened can easily see that if we work together we can solve more issues and help each other.
    Edited by Amottica on May 20, 2021 5:08AM
    Options
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I think Cadwell also explains the reason. Essentially to see the world through the eyes of the other alliances and this is really a great diversity exercise. It is great for seeing that each area has suffered and maybe those that become enlightened can easily see that if we work together we can solve more issues and help each other.

But it doesn't make any sense. Was my character somehow simultaneously being the hero of AD, DC and EP? It can't have been "just a vision", or alternate realities, because characters I interacted with during Silver and Gold recognise me later on, and remark on my exploits. So they must have all happened, and happened simultaneously.

But the leaders know that I'm the champion of my original faction leader. They remark that I'm known for it, far and wide. So what is Jorunn remembering? That I was his champion? Or that I was Emeric's? Because despite this exceedingly bizarre situation, he never remarks on it, one way or the other.

And I'm all for sexy metaphysics when its been thought out and its by design. When its a thoughtless handwave to justify gameplay, it wears thin. Too much of that sort of stuff and you start to lose the trust of your fans to handle the lore, story and continuity with care and attention to detail - a mandate that zos certainly has.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on May 20, 2021 2:47PM
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

But it doesn't make any sense. Was my character somehow simultaneously being the hero of AD, DC and EP?
    It can't have been "just a vision", or alternate realities, because characters I interacted with during Silver and Gold recognise me later on, and remark on my exploits. So they must have all happened, and happened simultaneously.

But the leaders know that I'm the champion of my original faction leader. They remark that I'm known for it, far and wide. So what is Jorunn remembering? That I was his champion? Or that I was Emeric's? Because despite this exceedingly bizarre situation, he never remarks on it, one way or the other.

And I'm all for sexy metaphysics when its been thought out and its by design. When its a thoughtless handwave to justify gameplay, it wears thin. Too much of that sort of stuff and you start to lose the trust of your fans to handle the lore, story and continuity with care and attention to detail - a mandate that zos certainly has.

As I stated in the quote, Cadwell explains it very well.

I do not understand how anyone can take issue with this when they play a character that is the hero of heroes that amazingly saves all of Nirn from so many threats yet they look around and come across so many characters that did the very same thing. Most have multiple characters that are this amazing solitary hero, yet this is pretty much an MMORPG thing.

So maybe Zos needs to make this "quest" so players can delete it if they do not understand it.
    Options
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I stated in the quote, Cadwell explains it very well.

No, he really doesn't.
    "Have you ever wondered what would've happened if you'd woken up somewhere else? Washed up on a different beach?
    My new mistress provided me with the means to help you, if you're up for the challenge!"
    Help me? What are you talking about?
    "Touch Meridia's light and see the world through the eyes of your former enemies.
    But fair warning—you will no longer be seen as a great champion. Even familiar faces will see you as a soulless drifter, lost in an unfamiliar land.

Its a nebulous hand-waving that neither commits to anything, nor makes any sense in terms of future content. Even later when we encounter recurring NPCs that would logically force some sort of commitment to a narrative one way or another, the issue is simply ignored.

Based on Cadwell's explanation, give me the narrative sequence of events, including how returning post-launch characters view it. I got sent back in time? I was simultaneously Jorunn's champion and the champion of both of his enemies? When I see him in Greymoor prologue, which am I to him?
    I do not understand how anyone can

These statements are usually an indictment on your ability or willingness to understand the points of view of others.
    take issue with this when they play a character that is the hero of heroes that amazingly saves all of Nirn from so many threats yet they look around and come across so many characters that did the very same thing.

Because we can take for granted that the story you are experiencing is personal to your character. From the perspective of your character, all those other characters did not do the very same thing. They weren't there when your character destroyed The Great Anchor, so there's no reason to believe all those characters actually did do the same thing. They're just NPCs.
    So maybe Zos needs to make this "quest" so players can delete it if they do not understand it.

That's not necessary. What we are asking for is that zos prioritises writing and continuity, and take genuine care with this stuff rather than just some half-assed hand-wave that forces those of us who care about this kind of stuff to awkwardly contrive excuses just to keep the narrative even remotely believable.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on May 21, 2021 12:10AM
    Options