The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stamplar armor sets?

Tigerboy78
So I am currently running Deadly x5 , Spriggans x5 and Selene monster set and I'm doing pretty well except I am of course dying pretty fast. I'm thinking of switching out my Deadly set for either Impregnable x5 or even EV x5 for just better survivability.

What is a good set to pair with Spriggans? I have even thought about Fortified Brass
  • Tigerboy78
    Okay well I'm going to go with Impregnable armor and see how it goes.
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deadly (FB), EV, Potentates (BB), Selene.

I I feel that without EV I cant sustain properly the purge/toppling charge. Deadly is supposed to be the best damage set for stamplar so I use it.. I base my survivability on roll dodging a lot..
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7209858#Comment_7209858

We had some discussion on this in another thread — this was for no proc Cyrodiil specifically. But the consensus seemed to be impregnable and spriggans.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Jman100582
    Jman100582
    ✭✭✭✭
    deadly gives more dmg than spriggans so if anything i'd swap spriggans to a defensive set. Or swap selenes to malubeth for more defense instead. Also make sure you have some source of major evasion, stamplar pretty much requires it for pvp.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You may have come across Kristofer ESO on YouTube playing his healthplar, which is basically a stamplar with sky-high weapon damage and 48K health (on the back bar). Inspired by that, I respecced my stamplar fully into health without changing my gear. I'm not a stamplar expert, but felt much more survivable in IC, even ending up, as I did, with just 34K health. I was running Deadly and Shield Breaker for a 4K Jabs tooltip along with 17.5K pen from a Sharpened Maul and Pierce Armor. About 20K stamina, 16K magicka, Smoked Bear Haunch as the food, 2K unbuffed stam recovery. Skill layout was something like:

Jabs
    Vigor
    Rally
    Toppling Charge
    Race Against Time
    Dawnbreaker of Smiting

Pierce Armor
    Spiked Bone Shield
    Blazing Shield
    Restoring Focus
    Extended Ritual
    Spell Wall

This obviously has a very basic attack rotation with no burst as such. It's just all about getting Jabs up. Not saying this is optimal or anything, but the amount of stackable shields and healing certainly bulked the build up, even at just 34K health. I think I also had Master's 1H+S on the back bar. Perhaps the main revelation for me, as a stamplar beginner, was front-barring Vigor. So good to just throw that in during attack.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you guys suggest for being able to stand your ground in BGs and the related proc crap-fest?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 22, 2021 7:57PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A stamcro with clown form?
    • PC/NA
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »

Very insightful
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »

Very insightful

Next update we might be able to bring back Blazing Shield lols combined with high health, crimson, and that broken new mythic, among other things. If nothing changes at least.
    • PC/NA
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to try Deadly front but I'm not sure about which good back bar set to use...I intend to use Malacath: any thoughts? what do you guys use?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on May 3, 2021 12:12PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Front bar Stuhns + Toppling charge is BIS for Stamplar PvP imo. The rest is up to you.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't like toppling + stuhns much anymore. Prefer other uses for magicka. I do like deadly front bar. High hp high wd is the way to go though
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like toppling + stuhns much anymore. Prefer other uses for magicka. I do like deadly front bar. High hp high wd is the way to go though

what backbar set are you using?
  • Tigerboy78
    So I'm running Impregnable set and Spriggans. Is Deadly a better fit to swap out of Spriggans?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maelstrom 2h back, deadly dw front
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And considering the recent patch notes, Unleashed Terror combined with Maelstrom 2H and Stampede will be the way to go. It won't be as effective on a Stamplar as it would on a Stamcro, but it will still get the job done.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »

And considering the recent patch notes, Unleashed Terror combined with Maelstrom 2H and Stampede will be the way to go. It won't be as effective on a Stamplar as it would on a Stamcro, but it will still get the job done.

I'm dropping maelstrom 2h and unleashed next patch
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, 7.0.2 has them both nerfed I believe.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Stampede got buffed enough that I think it still may be a viable option.

Two Handed
    Critical Charge
    Stampede (morph): Increased the damage done by the initial hit of this ability by 25%, and the damage of the Damage over Time effect by approximately 127%. Overall, this will result in approximately 86% more damage, which was done to help offset the changes to Merciless Charge, as well as to help Two Handed stick out better as a viable back bar option.

That was in today's patch notes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/573449/pts-patch-notes-v7-0-3#latest

Unleashed now has the Hemorrhaging status effect. Unleashed + Merciless + Stampede + double DOT poison. Effective backbar. Could even use the buffed Caltrops on the back bar also.

Edited by The_Lex on May 10, 2021 4:39PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Stampede got buffed enough that I think it still may be a viable option.

Two Handed
    Critical Charge
    Stampede (morph): Increased the damage done by the initial hit of this ability by 25%, and the damage of the Damage over Time effect by approximately 127%. Overall, this will result in approximately 86% more damage, which was done to help offset the changes to Merciless Charge, as well as to help Two Handed stick out better as a viable back bar option.

That was in today's patch notes: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/573449/pts-patch-notes-v7-0-3#latest

Unleashed now has the Hemorrhaging status effect. Unleashed + Merciless + Stampede + double DOT poison. Effective backbar. Could even use the buffed Caltrops on the back bar also.

I think you'll find unleashed is bad now lol. Venomous smite a better choice with maelstrom 2h
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Front bar Stuhns + Toppling charge is BIS for Stamplar PvP imo. The rest is up to you.

I finally got around to trying 5x Stuhns front bar in BGs after testing the 4pc in Cyro.

It's feels great. Deadly may make for the best Jabs damage but doesn't help your Crescent/DB burst or execute dmg, Stuhns does.

I tried running deadly body with a variety of backbars, I ended up settling on Essence thief body for the same reason I liked Stuhns, bigger bursts rather than only buffing jabs. The small heal is pretty welcome, too.

I've had varying degrees of success with Master SnB, Master Bow, Vat Ice staff (lol) backbar, BRP DW could be worth a shot too.

Hilariously, the ice staff worked better than I thought it would, giving me pretty comfy mag sustain for RAT, Extended Ritual and Explosive Charge. Its also a bonus being able to apply major fracture from range, something SnB can struggle with against high speed players.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    Hilariously, the ice staff worked better than I thought it would, giving me pretty comfy mag sustain for RAT, Extended Ritual and Explosive Charge. Its also a bonus being able to apply major fracture from range, something SnB can struggle with against high speed players.

Make sure you're running toppling charge, not explosive. Toppling is the only one that gives guaranteed off balance.

Personally, I like to pair stuhns front bar with a back-bar-able five piece (like 7th legion). That way I can fit a monster set in. If you are going to body a five piece, then BRP DW back bar is probably your best option.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on May 12, 2021 7:54PM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure you're running toppling charge, not explosive. Toppling is the only one that gives guaranteed off balance.

Personally, I like to pair stuhns front bar with a back-bar-able five piece (like 7th legion). That way I can fit a monster set in. If you are going to body a five piece, then BRP DW back bar is probably your best option.

Durr, yeah the Off Balance one. Forgot the morph names.

I'm running a monster, no mythic. Hardly anyone builds crit resist in the Malacath BG meta, so crit crescents slap hard.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm running a monster, no mythic. Hardly anyone builds crit resist in the Malacath BG meta, so crit crescents slap hard.

You might want to reconsider not using Malacath (until next patch at least). If a player is only running one piece of impen, they are going to reduce the critical damage bonus by around 23%. Without extra bonuses, your crits on a stamplar will add 60% and those players will bring it down too +37% damage (even less if they equip any more pieces of impen). At this point you're looking at only an additional +14% over Malacath when you crit, which might only be about a third of the time at best.

Put simply, Malacath gives a lot of extra damage on every hit, whereas not equipping it and running crit will give you a lot of extra damage (a little bit more than Malacath) but only on about a third of your hits.

The benefit to crit would be occasionally getting your highest damage abilities to do a lot of extra damage when they crit. But Malacath Will already be guaranteed to have them do a good amount of extra damage every time they hit, just a little less than a crit. On a stamplar, this effect is exaggerated on jabs. Every hit of jabs can crit or not crit. You're going to be much better off guaranteeing an additional 25% damage on every hit, then hoping that one or more of the ticks crit. Jabs is going to consistently do a lot more damage with Malacath. The same goes for pulses from crescent sweep. Yes one big crit on the initial hit is nice, but the initial hit, and every pulse doing plus 25% damage is going to be even better.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I finally got around to trying 5x Stuhns front bar in BGs after testing the 4pc in Cyro.

It's feels great. Deadly may make for the best Jabs damage but doesn't help your Crescent/DB burst or execute dmg, Stuhns does.

I tried running deadly body with a variety of backbars, I ended up settling on Essence thief body for the same reason I liked Stuhns, bigger bursts rather than only buffing jabs. The small heal is pretty welcome, too.

I've had varying degrees of success with Master SnB, Master Bow, Vat Ice staff (lol) backbar, BRP DW could be worth a shot too.

I used vate destro back bar for a while. It was nice in some ways. I prefer 2h with dw now
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys add extra magica or sets like shackle to sustain using toppling charge?
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys add extra magica or sets like shackle to sustain using toppling charge?

I run tristat on all my armor. With that, the new base stat increase, and tristat potions, I really don't feel any issues with sustaining toppling and extended ritual.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on May 16, 2021 11:43PM
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You might want to reconsider not using Malacath (until next patch at least). If a player is only running one piece of impen, they are going to reduce the critical damage bonus by around 23%. Without extra bonuses, your crits on a stamplar will add 60% and those players will bring it down too +37% damage (even less if they equip any more pieces of impen). At this point you're looking at only an additional +14% over Malacath when you crit, which might only be about a third of the time at best.

Put simply, Malacath gives a lot of extra damage on every hit, whereas not equipping it and running crit will give you a lot of extra damage (a little bit more than Malacath) but only on about a third of your hits.

The benefit to crit would be occasionally getting your highest damage abilities to do a lot of extra damage when they crit. But Malacath Will already be guaranteed to have them do a good amount of extra damage every time they hit, just a little less than a crit. On a stamplar, this effect is exaggerated on jabs. Every hit of jabs can crit or not crit. You're going to be much better off guaranteeing an additional 25% damage on every hit, then hoping that one or more of the ticks crit. Jabs is going to consistently do a lot more damage with Malacath. The same goes for pulses from crescent sweep. Yes one big crit on the initial hit is nice, but the initial hit, and every pulse doing plus 25% damage is going to be even better.

I tested this imperfectly, but the difference for my setup from mala to no-mala in 4-5x jabs was only around 100 DPS, in favour of malacath.

I find ET really clunky to proc from backbar, since I tend to barswap cancel the LA+ xDebuff before the LA lands, I miss it a bunch since it counts towards my FB. Not gonna bother with Mala for now

I run tristat on all my armor. With that, the new base stat increase, and try stat potions, I really don't feel any issues with sustaining toppling and extended ritual.

What he said. I find Tristat pots plenty for Cyro, but running similar mag sustain in BGs can be tight, where every other incoming light attack has 3+ debuffs attached to it.

I'm also running RAT. I think I'm going to drop the destro for a bow backbar and look at Orzorga's gold food for the extra mag sustain instead.
    Edited by Grimlok_S on May 16, 2021 5:06PM
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Grimlok_S
    Ballista with jabs is a ton of pressure. I did that before the proc meta. Was really fun gameplay.