Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Battlegrounds - very bad experience

Mr_Gallows
Mr_Gallows
✭✭✭
Have tried solo BGs the last couple of days and it's the most pointless and disgusting thing I have ever tried from a gameplay perspective.

I would die almost instantly. Hit by many abilities that didn't even show up on my side. Stamina management was fine.

I did kill a few, but some players were just unkillable even if they did not fight back because they were attacking someone else.

I made/bought some gear. All legendary except the jewelry whch is only purple. All enchants are legendary.

Stats are 7 in health and rest in Stamina.

Nightblade.
Sets: 5x hunding, 5x spriggans, 2x troll king. Also tried a set of fortified brass instead of hundings.Sets have impen trait.
Enchants: tri-glyphs on armor, weapon damage on jewelry (infused).
Weapons: maul and bow (sharp)
I have all the major buffs covered for defense and damage from skill lines. Like brutality, breach, armor buff, damage reduction.
Potions: various good potions.

My gear is not bad.

Outside BGs
My resistances sit around 20k buffed. Health at 27k, stamina 30k, weapon damage a bit over 5k, crit resist a bit over 2k, stamina regen 1400, almost 14k physical pen.

It plays like this 95% of the time. I cannot kill anyone and I get killed instantly. I am not new to the game and it does not just feel like a L2P issue. If feels like something is seriously messed up with the game, balance, exploits or something.
Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 5, 2021 5:44PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina nightblade is played on a razor's edge. In order to be effective, you really need to push damage in your build, but then you need to be able to have lightning quick reflexes to get out of trouble. I honestly don't think it's a great place to start in BGs.

But if it's your only choice, I'd replace hundings with eternal vigor. It's a very forgiving set that'll pretty much take care of sustain and a lot of survivability for you. I'd also drop troll king and see if I could get ring of the wild hunt and pair it with one piece trainee. Try and get eternal vigor with well fitted. It's also good to have a back bar set if possible. If you don't have access to arena sets, you could just do back bar trainee bow to get the second and third piece bonuses, then switch to spriggans front bar.

All that said, BGs are pretty cutthroat. Everyone struggles a lot when they start. But you'll get better with practice. The primary things to keep in mind as you are trying to improve are positioning, and the timing of your engagements and disengagements. Getting those elements down will provide far more survivability than any set could.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. Tried 40 points in health just for fun. But I see some players running around with just 25k. Someone hit me with a 22k damage hit that looked like a monster helmet just now in the last BG.

I think this may just not be for me. It a mess of glitchy animation cancelling to hit several hard hitting abilities per second. Plus some of those damage numbers are silly. I can to close to 10k on an execute... but 22k from a proc? Something just feels pff with the gameplay, when people skate around not really doing any animations.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Gallows wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Tried 40 points in health just for fun. But I see some players running around with just 25k. Someone hit me with a 22k damage hit that looked like a monster helmet just now in the last BG.

I think this may just not be for me. It a mess of glitchy animation cancelling to hit several hard hitting abilities per second. Plus some of those damage numbers are silly. I can to close to 10k on an execute... but 22k from a proc? Something just feels pff with the gameplay, when people skate around not really doing any animations.

Zaan? I'd have to check, but if you see that red fire beam connected to you, I think cloak will break it. But if it stays on you for four or five seconds, it'll get up to some absurd numbers.
  • KurtAngle2
    KurtAngle2
    ✭✭✭✭
    You expect to survive in a burst meta with almost all points in Stamina, Medium armor and full damage sets (except Monster that does nothing in this meta like Troll King)? Be happy that you weren't zergfarmed all the time and proceed to be more tanky
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

Zaan? I'd have to check, but if you see that red fire beam connected to you, I think cloak will break it. But if it stays on you for four or five seconds, it'll get up to some absurd numbers.

Yes it was Zaan.

As for the burst meta... put 40 points in health and it didn't change my damage. Have a set of fortified brass I can use. Buffed my resists are just shy of 30k but a bit less damage pf course.

But still some of the elements of pvp seems just broken 🙂
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 5, 2021 9:23PM
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Some things in this game apart from the obvious balance issues are just dumb.

Animation canceling... it's just a twitchy mess. You should be able tl block, bash and dodge by interrupting your skill, but when you commit to a skill it should not be able to be cancelled while still doing damage in the way you can now. At the very least every skill should trigger its own global CD, before another skill can be used. You, still be able to dodge, block and bash. In the perfect scenario the skills would be balanced with damage and animatiom lenght and comitting to a skill should be a risk. Maybe it can be cancelled in a windup without doing damage.

Next is block casting. I can see this being a thing with purely defensive skills and nothing else.

Procs suck for pvp because of how they work and how they are balanced.

Generally the build balance is quite poor.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Animation canceling... it's just a twitchy mess. You should be able tl block, bash and dodge by interrupting your skill, but when you commit to a skill it should not be able to be cancelled while still doing damage in the way you can now. At the very least every skill should trigger its own global CD, before another skill can be used. You, still be able to dodge, block and bash. In the perfect scenario the skills would be balanced with damage and animatiom lenght and comitting to a skill should be a risk. Maybe it can be cancelled in a windup without doing damage.

Next is block casting. I can see this being a thing with purely defensive skills and nothing else.

The game would feel terrible if you couldn't cancel an animation with a block or dodge or bash. Beyond that, light attack weaving is easy enough to practice and use. If done well, you don't even see the light attack animation, so it doesn't make things look weird.

And 99% of skill bar abilities are on a shared one second global cooldown. There's no real way around that. But by practicing burst combos, you can layer skill delays to have them land around the same time.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can get much better gear than that tbh for bgs.

Regardless stamblade is not for the feint of heart.

You can go full *** deep mega dmg mode and get kills, but if you are not on spot with your shade/cloak youll get clobbered just as much.

Most stamblades i come across play exactly like that, very aggressive, trying to get as many kills as possible, then a random dude with hard hitting db shows up and they melt in 2 seconds.

• hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp needs practice, practice and practice.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

The game would feel terrible if you couldn't cancel an animation with a block or dodge or bash. Beyond that, light attack weaving is easy enough to practice and use. If done well, you don't even see the light attack animation, so it doesn't make things look weird.

And 99% of skill bar abilities are on a shared one second global cooldown. There's no real way around that. But by practicing burst combos, you can layer skill delays to have them land around the same time.

You should be able to cancel... but not the way it is done now where you can cancel with no downside. What you describe is just bad and it can be done better, so balance in general is also easier to achieve between damage and healing.

Light/medium/heavy attack weaving should be a thing. It's great. Just not the way it is handled now, where it is a broken mess. When some people suggest you just remove animations completely, you know something is very wrong with the game. With a better skill CD system both light and heavy weaving could be made better.

Some skills have a longer anination... that should be made part of the balance and not just broken and then everything balanced around a broken system.

It's not like eso pvp is generally considered great. It's like an obscure mess of breaking game systems.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 6, 2021 1:52PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gear you have chosen to use in BGs are underwhelming for that environment.

If you want to know why or what would be better to use; let me know

I would add that info know but would take far too long if you dont want to hear it.

This is Not meant to be an Insult. Do NOT take it as such
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

I would add that info know but would take far too long if you dont want to hear it.

I don't and thank you. I have upped mu health and armor by quite a lot.. surprisingly with almost no hit to my damage... that in itself is an issue. It is better in terms of survivability for me, but as for the state of game balance it does not look so great.

I know there may be an optimal setup... maybe heavy armor is the way to go because negating15k armor is very easy.

I would like to enjoy PvP in eso. I really like the game, the world and the freedom. I'd be happy tp read your suggestions and get some insight into what actually works.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 6, 2021 2:02PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be able to cancel... but not the way it is done now where you can cancel with no downside. What you describe is just bad and it can be done better, so balance in general is also easier to achieve between damage and healing.

Light/medium/heavy attack weaving should be a thing. It's great. Just not the way it is handled now, where it is a broken mess. When some people suggest you just remove animations completely, you know something is very wrong with the game. With a better skill CD system both light and heavy weaving could be made better.

Some skills have a longer anination... that should be made part of the balance and not just broken and then everything balanced around a broken system.

It's not like eso pvp is generally considered great. It's like an obscure mess of breaking game systems.

This sounds more like frustration than analysis. Animation canceling doesn't create imbalances, as it can be done by all classes, and in combination with the vast majority of skills. And the ability to cancel animations is what creates the fast-paced, intense action of ESO's PVP. But it does take practice. And as @Waffennacht stated, your initial gear selection certainly could use improvement. Spriggans is fine as a damage set, not BIS, but definitely acceptable. However, I'll reiterate my suggestion to pair it with eternal vigor. For a beginner, that set can make a huge difference.

I'll also restate that I don't think starting BGs on a stamNB is a good way to learn. Do you have any other classes you could try?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't and thank you. I have upped mu health and armor by quite a lot.. surprisingly with almost no hit to my damage... that in itself is an issue. It is better in terms of survivability for me, but as for the state of game balance it does not look so great.

I know there may be an optimal setup... maybe heavy armor is the way to go because negating15k armor is very easy.

I would like to enjoy PvP in eso. I really like the game, the world and the freedom. I'd be happy tp read your suggestions and get some insight into what actually works.

Ill start off with what is the issue with what you have; then more into what options you have.

Hunding does not provide you with nearly enough stats/nor good enough - 300 wpn damage (esp after update) isnt going to give you a noticeable increase in damage nor healing. The crit chance on this armor also hurts it as your probably wont want to invest into crit chance (takes too much now)

Troll King - was meh before update; now way too slow on a non dedicated tank build to help you; health regen is not a good survivability stat for ur kind of build. Youd be better off using either a damage dealing proc set (like selene) or some form of sustain

Spriggan is alright, but pure offense, you can keep this one if you change up the others.

You have 0 defense (TK just has no synergy and with burst so high u want see it so much anyway)

As @MurderMostFoul suggested EV would help a lot (dropping Hunding)

You probably want a mythic; either Torc if u use ur off main stat or wild hunt if ur more offense as a positioning aid.

Let me know how u wanna play. Seems u want high offense; in that case id start with:

Spriggan
    Selene or EG
    Eternal Vigor

Then id try and get mythics and vateshran 2h.

Im currently at work till get back when I can
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

This sounds more like frustration than analysis. Animation canceling doesn't create imbalances, as it can be done by all classes, and in combination with the vast majority of skills. And the ability to cancel animations is what creates the fast-paced, intense action of ESO's PVP. But it does take practice. And as @Waffennacht stated, your initial gear selection certainly could use improvement. Spriggans is fine as a damage set, not BIS, but definitely acceptable. However, I'll reiterate my suggestion to pair it with eternal vigor. For a beginner, that set can make a huge difference.

I'll also restate that I don't think starting BGs on a stamNB is a good way to learn. Do you have any other classes you could try?

I am levelling up a necromancer atm and I have a warden levelled up. My other toon is the old one I played on pc and is pure crafter with most skill points into that and only do daily crafting with him. He can craft everything. I do enjoy the necromancer and it doesn't take long for those 50 levels. Do want to go stamina... just easier wirh gear sharing when it makes sense.

I would not just call it frustration. Game seems wonky. Lag doesn't make it better.

I will say that while I still see the same instant no animation skill wonkiness, having 30k health and almost 30k resist while only reduving my damage slightly has helped survivability a lot. I think something along those lines will work better. Still testing mu sustain. Only having 1400 stamina recovery may be too low for the lower stamina I have now.

It's more the gameplay I don't like that much, than frustration over dying. Fast paced can be fun, but this seems more messy than just fast paced.

But thank you for the suggestions. Chances are the devs will most likely not fix the game to an extent that will deal with ny main gameplay gripes, but I'd still like to be able to just enjoy a bit of pvp now and again.🙂
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am levelling up a necromancer atm and I have a warden levelled up. My other toon is the old one I played on pc and is pure crafter with most skill points into that and only do daily crafting with him. He can craft everything. I do enjoy the necromancer and it doesn't take long for those 50 levels. Do want to go stamina... just easier wirh gear sharing when it makes sense.

I would not just call it frustration. Game seems wonky. Lag doesn't make it better.

I will say that while I still see the same instant no animation skill wonkiness, having 30k health and almost 30k resist while only reduving my damage slightly has helped survivability a lot. I think something along those lines will work better. Still testing mu sustain. Only having 1400 stamina recovery may be too low for the lower stamina I have now.

It's more the gameplay I don't like that much, than frustration over dying. Fast paced can be fun, but this seems more messy than just fast paced.

But thank you for the suggestions. Chances are the devs will most likely not fix the game to an extent that will deal with ny main gameplay gripes, but I'd still like to be able to just enjoy a bit of pvp now and again.🙂

Lol, play that Stamden bro!!!!

It'll be waaaaaaay easier. Two-handed spriggin's front bar, eternal vigor body, then really anything else, and you'll feel like a God compared to your stamNB.

And the exact same thing goes for your stamcro once leveled. Same gear as above, and filling the gaps with what you like.

The only other suggestion I have for stamden/cro, is that it's very much worth taking the time to get Malacath the band of brutality. That one piece will make a noticeable difference for both of them.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

It'll be waaaaaaay easier. Two-handed spriggin's front bar, eternal vigor body, then really anything else, and you'll feel like a God compared to your stamNB.

And the exact same thing goes for your stamcro once leveled. Same gear as above, and filling the gaps with what you like.

The only other suggestion I have for stamden/cro, is that it's very much worth taking the time to get Malacath the band of brutality. That one piece will make a noticeable difference for both of them.

That's the big damage bost and no crit ring?

Right now I have 5 medium and 2 heavy pieces. Is heavy generally just better for pvp? I like that for the different bonuses.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now I have 5 medium and 2 heavy pieces. Is heavy generally just better for pvp? I like that for the different bonuses.

Yes on +dmg/no crit ring.

On stamina classes, I like running five medium, one heavy, one light. But if you don't have the undaunted mettle passive, 5m/2h would be good. With medium, you get better sustain, better damage, and no armor penalties. But I also make sure I can stay highly mobile, with easy access to major expedition and snare removal / immunity. You can make heavy work too, and that's actually what I did last patch. But now with healing being so much stronger and bursts being deadlier, medium is more viable.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭

On stamina classes, I like running five medium, one heavy, one light. But if you don't have the undaunted mettle passive, 5m/2h would be good. With medium, you get better sustain, better damage, and no armor penalties. But I also make sure I can stay highly mobile, with easy access to major expedition and snare removal / immunity. You can make heavy work too, and that's actually what I did last patch. But now with healing being so much stronger and bursts being deadlier, medium is more viable.

Thank you for the info. I hope I can make a decently tanky Dps build because I think that could be a work around to still enjoy pvp. I will work on that ring and try that out 🙂

As for Malakath... I see one lead is in the Imp city... that's going to be a tough one. The others are easy enough.

But... what would you pair the ring of malakath with? It will replace one piece of troll king (moving a spriggans to shoulders). What should replace the othee piece of troll king?
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 6, 2021 6:51PM
  • buzzclops
    buzzclops
    ✭✭✭

Animation cancel and all is what makes this game fast paced and fun. The current patch is the most balanced one we got in ages probably since even before morrowind. If you want to slow the gameplay and have cooldowns go play wow it’s a fun game too!
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the info. I hope I can make a decently tanky Dps build because I think that could be a work around to still enjoy pvp. I will work on that ring and try that out 🙂

As for Malakath... I see one lead is in the Imp city... that's going to be a tough one. The others are easy enough.

But... what would you pair the ring of malakath with? It will replace one piece of troll king (moving a spriggans to shoulders). What should replace the othee piece of troll king?

Okay, I'll assume you don't have access to arena sets at the moment. With that said, on your stamden run:

Head: Medium one piece monster (preferably domihaus) or trainee
    Shoulder: eternal vigor
    Chest: eternal vigor
    Legs: eternal vigor
    Feet: spriggans
    Hands: spriggans
    Waist: spriggans
    Neck: eternal vigor
    Ring1: eternal vigor
    Ring2: Malacath
    Front bar: spriggans
    Back bar: potentates

This will be three heavy, four medium, with eternal vigor on the body. It'll be very tanky for a stamden whose class kit is strong enough to still dish out significant damage, while out healing a lot of pressure. You can get everything above from traders, except for the monster piece, but you can plug in what you have available, or get one piece trainee from a trader. You can use the trainee piece on your waist and make it light if you are able to/want to take full advantage of undaunted mettle.

It doesn't get much easier for a beginner than what I've outlined here. And for going to Imperial City to get the item for malacath, it might require a bit of luck, but you can typically find a group of your faction at some point and just tag along, punch the boss a few times, and hope for the drop. When I got it, I actually just stood near another faction as they were taking out a boss, threw in a few light attacks, and they just pretty much ignored me and let me loot.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    @MurderMostFoul Cheers for the info. That looks good 🙂👍🏻
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can feel your pain mate.

If you really don't care about the class you use, my suggestion is to roll a warden (@MurderMostFoul left you a great explanation) and/or magsorc...both classes are very strong this patch and very forgiving. Very noob friendly as the class itself will carry you.

Magsorc will allow you damage, shields and great mobility. Stamdens....well...you have everything and could almost use 1 finger and you'll still do well. I'm a mediocre PvP/BG player but I if I want a more forgiving experience to boost my morale I will jump on my Magsorc or the stamden.

On a more serious note: play the class you like/love the most and practise practise practise
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 6, 2021 9:38PM
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sets: 5x hunding, 5x spriggans, 2x troll king. Also tried a set of fortified brass instead of hundings.Sets have impen trait.

There's your problem.
    You're not playing the @ZOS_BrianWheeler meta.
    Battlegrounds are less about skill and more about the number of proc sets you're running.

Malacath, Stinging Slashes, Merciless Charge, Unleashed Terror, Unfathomable Darkness, Velidreth

Or

Caluurion (without Malacath,) Destructive Impact, Valkyn Skoria, Zaan, Overwhelming Surge, Oblivion's Foe, Vateshran,

Use those sets and you'll be top tier.

Maybe one day they'll be a cheese free BG option, but for now, run those or go to cyrodiil.
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys... maybe I was a bit annoyed with PvP, but must say you people who helped me in this thread make up for that. Really awesome!

I will focus on my warden and necromancer from now on and then just use my nightblade for PvE... really enjoy them both. Fun and I like their style. After playing necro for a couple of days he does almost feel like wardens evil twin - they have very similar playstyle.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's your problem.
    You're not playing the @ZOS_BrianWheeler meta.
    Battlegrounds are less about skill and more about the number of proc sets you're running.

Malacath, Stinging Slashes, Merciless Charge, Unleashed Terror, Unfathomable Darkness, Velidreth

Or

Caluurion (without Malacath,) Destructive Impact, Valkyn Skoria, Zaan, Overwhelming Surge, Oblivion's Foe, Vateshran,

Use those sets and you'll be top tier.

Maybe one day they'll be a cheese free BG option, but for now, run those or go to cyrodiil.

BGs currently are simply gross...populated by 4 type of players:

1. High Health High damage wardens that cannot be killed
    2. merciless charge (just mentioning one) heroes that can proc 3 sets with one click
    3. people who match both point 1 and point 2
    4. people who don't belonging to the 3 categories and tend to get farmed...unless you are a truly top player....and even then you may struggle

Thanks guys... maybe I was a bit annoyed with PvP, but must say you people who helped me in this thread make up for that. Really awesome!

I will focus on my warden and necromancer from now on and then just use my nightblade for PvE... really enjoy them both. Fun and I like their style. After playing necro for a couple of days he does almost feel like wardens evil twin - they have very similar playstyle.

haha warden and necro.....the Dark Side; at least you will be able to play with just one finger
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 7, 2021 12:45PM
  • Mr_Gallows
    Mr_Gallows
    ✭✭✭
    Well I want to make a build I can use for cyrodill. It's a bit confusing what a proc set is. Is it everythibg that is not a flat number?

Is Stuhns Favor a proc set for instance? Not that I want to use it. Don't like the dpwntime on it.
    Edited by Mr_Gallows on April 7, 2021 6:00PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I want to make a build I can use for cyrodill. It's a bit confusing what a proc set is. Is it everythibg that is not a flat number?

Is Stuhns Favor a proc set for instance? Not that I want to use it. Don't like the dpwntime on it.

Stuhn is a proc.
    Any part of a set that has a conditional part (‘if’, ‘when’ etc) won’t work in cyro.
    The 5th item in the Stuhn set won’t work but the first 4 will.
  • Orange_fire_dragon
    Orange_fire_dragon
    ✭✭✭
    The sets you use are way outdated for BGs, your overall setup is pretty easily bursted down as a general rule unless you're talented stamblade. So yes, a lot of this also comes down to experience playing the game.
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piraja27 wrote: »
    The sets you use are way outdated for BGs, your overall setup is pretty easily bursted down as a general rule unless you're talented stamblade. So yes, a lot of this also comes down to experience playing the game.

Yes, very.
    He should be running at least three proc sets.
    Had one DK apply 10 dots in 3 seconds. Mostly from procs.