The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is your Magplar template in this patch/meta that kills good/skilled players?

soniku4ikblis
soniku4ikblis
✭✭✭
Please exclude low def opponents, new players, low skilled players.

Please include a brief description of your skills/combos, current gear, stats, toop-tip damage, pene, and anything else pertinent.

It must be a set-up/strat for good players, good night blades, good sorcs, and strong magDKs.

My Magplar:
Vampire Stage 3: 28k Health 35k Magk 14 Stam.
4000 SD, 12500 Pene, 34k/30k Spell/Phys Res.
2000 Mag Rec, 400 Hea Rec, 700 Stm Rec

Skills:
FB Jesus Beam, Toppling, Jabs, Jav, Ele Drain.
BB Focus, Purify, BOL, Mist, Living Dark

Most trouble I have are with run&gun NBs who play stam and only use invis when low health.
Sorcs with high pene and overload spam.
MagDKs with high pene and tons of damage.

Wardens, other templars, Necros are stalemates normally.

Really having trouble with the good NBs and a couple of high dmg/pene MagDKs.

And here I thought MagDKs were struggling. They are pretty nasty atm.

NBs are tough to heal through. Can't get off the back foot.

Please share your interests with Magplar, worries, concerns, woes, victories, and types of combos/strats you're using to get great kills on these good opponents. Thanks.
__._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • WolfyRaps
    WolfyRaps
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main build is Engine Guardian/Auroran/Overwhelming/Potentates.

It does well in BG and IC vs mediocre players where I get lots of kills but I rly struggle in duels with my templar atm..

Sorcs, Stamdens and Stamcros are tanky enough to survive my constant pressure and have too much burst to eventually catch me off guard and kill me.

• Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What’s your gear OP?

For no proc no cp Cyrodiil I’m in 5 Impreg, 2 Trainee, 5 Spinners front bar (destro), Willpower resto back bar. 3H -1M - 3L.

Decent in 1v1, not good beyond that. Best suited for heals and support probably (would replace impreg with shackle in that scenario, possibly change spinners for alfiq).
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Canned_Apples
    Canned_Apples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDKs are only an issue for you because you are running stage three vamp.
    Drop that and you’ll be fine because they have the worst sustain and most expensive skills.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't use both javelin and toppling in the same build for starters, I don't see entropy on your bar so that's one change right off the bat, it would enable to use different potions like tripots or immov pots.
    My current build for no proc cyro is:
    5 impreg(body) 4 stuhns(2pc jewelery and lighting staff), 3 willpower(1 ring and s/b) backbar, 1 kena 1 slimecraw(highest 1pc crit chance you can get).
    I went with 4pc stuhn over spinners Beacuse I prefer the extra spell damage on backbar for fatter heals over 1.4k pen, even like this you can easily reach over 15k with ele drain up.
    I'm also not a vamp rn due to mist disabling Stam recovery(yes, Stam), and I'm using rat instead, altho this is always subject to change.
    For bgs it's 5ev,5 specters eye(for now, still testing), 2 pc bloodspawn and vate destro.
    Fairly defensive setup but due to light armor and high pen still puts out big deeps.

I do have a meme blazing shield build in the works as well for bgs, (trying to) abuse true sworn fury, still farming some pieces and it will most likely fail, but who knows.. XD
    Edited by Firstmep on April 3, 2021 6:43AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplars aren't in a good place this patch because damage is all about burst and healing is so good that means other classes who have good HoTs (unlike Magplars) are going to be more efficient at healing.

To top that off you're running two skills that aren't helping you much against good players: javelin which is redundant because you already have a (better) stun with Toppling and Total Dark, which is just inefficient. The sorts of players you are asking about in this thread don;t care if you snare them because they all run snare immunity and the heal on Eclipse has strict conditions. If you want a HoT so bad, run Regeneration which will always heal you every second rather than Total Dark which only heals you once a second if you happen to get hit with direct damage.

All the other good classes out there are also going to be able to take advantage of the very high health recovery available in this patch - which just makes their health restoration even better than yours - which you can;t because you're trying to overcome Magplars innate slowness, there in the first place because it was designed to stand its ground (which it can't do if you want a build that can kill other players).

The stats you got are on paper should be good enough to compete in cyrodiil. Since you're skipping out on health recovery, you need impen or NBs will really tear you apart. So that's not the issue. Weak class and inefficient skills are what's holding you back. Look at the Warden Shalk or Sorc Curse burst skills, and then take a look at Purifying Light. That's pretty much all you need to know why in a meta that is all about burst, you felt compelled to write your post.
    Edited by Joy_Division on April 3, 2021 1:50PM
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    No cp cyrodiil
    Dw / resto - impregnable/fortified brass
    Spell power crit pots - 5k spell damage/39% critical

I run shards and purifying light instead of degen and reflective light.

Combo: purifying light>jabs> Burning shards into toppling charge>Jabs or Sweep>beam.

I try to support randoms and heal, but still able to do decent damage. Magplar is trash right now though compares to other classes, even stamplar is way better. Id say it’s the only “balanced” class cause there is such a huge difference between building to survive and building for damage — other classes can have BOTH — we either kill fast and die fast, or kill slow and die slow..or heal and die.
    Edited by Udrath on April 3, 2021 5:02PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop javalin and purifying. Java is redundant and purifying the worst damage, highest counter player, longest timed, most telegraphed burst skill in the game. You’d do better running two mediocre dots.

You’re using spell power/ cyro pots for sorcery and prophecy right?
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Drop javalin and purifying. Java is redundant and purifying the worst damage, highest counter player, longest timed, most telegraphed burst skill in the game. You’d do better running two mediocre dots.

I’d trust this guy!!! Twice I’ve essentially copied his builds in the past and twice I enjoyed a great magplar spell!!!

I’m about to test Eternal Vigor (always on) + Stuhn (front) + Malacath + endurance or willpower backbar....something along these lines. What are your thoughts @EtTuBrutus ?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 7, 2021 9:07PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »

I’d trust this guy!!! Twice I’ve essentially copied his builds in the past and twice I enjoyed a great magplar spell!!!

I’m about to test Eternal Vigor (always on) + Stuhn (front) + Malacath + endurance or willpower backbar....something along these lines. What are your thoughts @EtTuBrutus ?

Can’t go wrong with that set up. I rarely do bgs atm, but I have a ton of fun with explosive rebuke/respite both back barred with snb. Masters ice front bar. Great proc healing and dmg by block casting ritual( and getting hit).
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    I get my damage from 2 sets, triple infused spell damage and 18k pen. I get my defense from 4 H and stage 3 vamp. And i get my sustain from heavy as well, atro mundus,breton and food. My spell damage sits at 5.3k, mag 30k, mag rec 2.6k and resistances are 26k spell 21k phys. No proc
    Edited by mikey_reach on April 9, 2021 1:36PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get my damage from 2 sets, triple infused spell damage and 18k pen. I get my defense from 4 H and stage 3 vamp. And i get my sustain from heavy as well, atro mundus,breton and food. My spell damage sits at 5.3k, mag 30k, mag rec 2.6k and resistances are 26k spell 21k phys. No proc

Which food are you running? Your recovery seems pretty high, I'm assuming not bewitched?
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    I run ozorga’s smoked bear haunch. The reason being that this patch you can achieve sugar skull stats without it if you go full tri stat and get the rest from cp. My hp is 30k and stam is 15.9k with almost 1k stam rec. The way i saw it zos buffed max stats and they nerfed major and minor recoveries by a bit hence why i dropped sugar skulls for a sustain food
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I run ozorga’s smoked bear haunch. The reason being that this patch you can achieve sugar skull stats without it if you go full tri stat and get the rest from cp. My hp is 30k and stam is 15.9k with almost 1k stam rec. The way i saw it zos buffed max stats and they nerfed major and minor recoveries by a bit hence why i dropped sugar skulls for a sustain food

Oh your in cp with 16k Stam. Fair enough.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplars aren't in a good place this patch because damage is all about burst and healing is so good that means other classes who have good HoTs (unlike Magplars) are going to be more efficient at healing.

To top that off you're running two skills that aren't helping you much against good players: javelin which is redundant because you already have a (better) stun with Toppling and Total Dark, which is just inefficient. The sorts of players you are asking about in this thread don;t care if you snare them because they all run snare immunity and the heal on Eclipse has strict conditions. If you want a HoT so bad, run Regeneration which will always heal you every second rather than Total Dark which only heals you once a second if you happen to get hit with direct damage.

All the other good classes out there are also going to be able to take advantage of the very high health recovery available in this patch - which just makes their health restoration even better than yours - which you can;t because you're trying to overcome Magplars innate slowness, there in the first place because it was designed to stand its ground (which it can't do if you want a build that can kill other players).

The stats you got are on paper should be good enough to compete in cyrodiil. Since you're skipping out on health recovery, you need impen or NBs will really tear you apart. So that's not the issue. Weak class and inefficient skills are what's holding you back. Look at the Warden Shalk or Sorc Curse burst skills, and then take a look at Purifying Light. That's pretty much all you need to know why in a meta that is all about burst, you felt compelled to write your post.
    The real shame is that the meta is all about burst because the standardization pass on Dots didn't take into consideration how dependent a class was on them to compete in PvP. Somehow it's OK for a NB, Sorc, Necro or Warden to blow people up in one GCD but it's just totally unfair for a Templar or DK to layer Dots and overwhelm someones healing over the course of five seconds?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

The real shame is that the meta is all about burst because the standardization pass on Dots didn't take into consideration how dependent a class was on them to compete in PvP. Somehow it's OK for a NB, Sorc, Necro or Warden to blow people up in one GCD but it's just totally unfair for a Templar or DK to layer Dots and overwhelm someones healing over the course of five seconds?

And ppl wonder why sets like zaan and vate destro are so popular, Beacuse skill based dots are mostly total garbage atm.
    On stamplar with deadly strike and 6k wpd, soul trap(which is the hardest hitting skill based dot stamplar has access to) doesn't even hit 20k tooltip over 10 seconds.
    In pvp that's not even a 10k dot due to resistances.
    Meanwhile necro, which doesn't even have a single target dot gets the 15% passive just Beacuse.

Honestly on magplar, unless your in bgs and sporting multiple procs, your only offensive window with actual kill potential vs decent targets is when you use crescent sweep and hope you get a lucky crit.

And for healing, living darks heal condition is so bad, you have to be hammered by multiple ppl to proc it on CD, meanwhile my magcros intensive mender is crit healing for 8k every 2 seconds, and you just get the heal no condition.
    Edited by Firstmep on April 10, 2021 5:09PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

Correct.

This is what happens when a game is balanced by spreadsheet that pretends every class is the same and thus all of their spells can have the same cost, damage, and heal numbers.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately my main toons are DKs and plars so I have to get on with the sorry state they are in....don’t get me wrong, I’ve tried other classes (magsorc is too easy and monotonous....wardens are easy win - playing one feels like an exploit!!! NBs simply don’t fit my playstyle) but I like DKs and plars too much.

Is it frustrating? Of course but boy don’t I love when I have a good spell and get the class to shine!!!

For me it’s a question of finding the right combination of gear/skills to counter the class’ current mediocrity
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no proc Xbox templars are running roughshod over the map. Just need the right sets and CP and you'll be healing through everything.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In no proc Xbox templars are running roughshod over the map. Just need the right sets and CP and you'll be healing through everything.

Well without pesky zaan, vate destro and a 100 other dot proc sets, you can kinda just blockheal thru most stuff.

But thats not really specific to magplar.

My magcro with intensive mender and resistant flesh feels nigh immortal, really.

It takes a coordinated effort from 5+ players to take me down, and im not even good at the class.

And its not like im full tank either, i can easily rip 30k+ dmg combos with blastbones+grave robber+db.

And if i compare Eclipse to Intesive Mender, i literally want to delete my templar.

In cyro my mender can crit heal for 10-12k every 2 seconds, eclipse is a joke compared to that.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so in the end what could be used for magplar? i suppose defense is a must otherwise you have no time to do any damage.
    what defense sets would you say are good for battlegrounds? i don't see magplar beeing good played full offensive because you won't be able to do that much damage, and magplar is the worst in this "who nukes first" gameplay. Are sets like Pariah or Robes of the Hist viable? do the healings from proc sets are affected by Minor Mending (or other buffs at that) ?
    are sustain sets bad or useless? like Amber Plasm or Eternal Vigor, or maybe Desert Rose or Bloodthorn Touch? or sustain should only come from heavy attacks and maybe recovery glyphs.
    instead a damage set would be good? like Overwhelming or Syvarra?
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mass procs or reroll warden/necro.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice sharing and informative thread!
    This reminds me the regular one @Joy_Division had about the Templar class, where we shared a lot of info, builds, skills changes and updates every new patch. Is it still up?
    Edited by miteba on April 25, 2021 8:56AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    so in the end what could be used for magplar? i suppose defense is a must otherwise you have no time to do any damage.
    what defense sets would you say are good for battlegrounds? i don't see magplar beeing good played full offensive because you won't be able to do that much damage, and magplar is the worst in this "who nukes first" gameplay. Are sets like Pariah or Robes of the Hist viable? do the healings from proc sets are affected by Minor Mending (or other buffs at that) ?
    are sustain sets bad or useless? like Amber Plasm or Eternal Vigor, or maybe Desert Rose or Bloodthorn Touch? or sustain should only come from heavy attacks and maybe recovery glyphs.

In BGs and next patch when procs are allowed, players and theory-crafters will be better able to cover the holes in the class to be relatively decent, "B" tier I suspect (the tier Magplar has most often found itself in).

In general Magplar is ok and has always been ok when its opponent is either forced to fight in a confined area or chooses to do so. In those situations, the attrition type style can work. Against a mobile opponent that uses LOS though (i.e. good players), they're frustrating to play because they are slow, that's when Jabs misses, and they don't have a burst skill like Warden's Shalk that they can use when (or if) they finally do re-establish melee. The other main weakness of the class is that it lack a preventative or proactive defense which forces Magplars to interrupt their offense and go to their backbar. In a DOT meta, this isn't too bad. But in a burst meta, it means you have to risk dying in order to get any kills. It's another reason why Magplars have been asking for a decent HOT for 7 years now; that would help Magplars stay on the offensive longer.

As far as procs go, you are like the anti-sorcerer; you want to load up on them because they are going to be better than many of your skills and fill out the holes in your kit. You mention Pariah and Hist; I've used both and both work very well on a Magplar because they offer passive defense which the class lacks. I think damage sets/weapon is better for a Magplar than sustain because sustain can more easily be incorporated into your build whereas you need proc damage to get a decent burst.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In BGs and next patch when procs are allowed, players and theory-crafters will be better able to cover the holes in the class to be relatively decent, "B" tier I suspect (the tier Magplar has most often found itself in).

In general Magplar is ok and has always been ok when its opponent is either forced to fight in a confined area or chooses to do so. In those situations, the attrition type style can work. Against a mobile opponent that uses LOS though (i.e. good players), they're frustrating to play because they are slow, that's when Jabs misses, and they don't have a burst skill like Warden's Shalk that they can use when (or if) they finally do re-establish melee. The other main weakness of the class is that it lack a preventative or proactive defense which forces Magplars to interrupt their offense and go to their backbar. In a DOT meta, this isn't too bad. But in a burst meta, it means you have to risk dying in order to get any kills. It's another reason why Magplars have been asking for a decent HOT for 7 years now; that would help Magplars stay on the offensive longer.

As far as procs go, you are like the anti-sorcerer; you want to load up on them because they are going to be better than many of your skills and fill out the holes in your kit. You mention Pariah and Hist; I've used both and both work very well on a Magplar because they offer passive defense which the class lacks. I think damage sets/weapon is better for a Magplar than sustain because sustain can more easily be incorporated into your build whereas you need proc damage to get a decent burst.

I fell in love with Eternal Vigor but soon realized that I'd rather have a monster set too. I'm now using Deadrick Trickery back and Stuhn front....I'm having fun.
    Has anyone dropped Mala yet?

What do you use at the moment @Joy_Division?
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 27, 2021 5:14PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

I fell in love with Eternal Vigor but soon realized that I'd rather have a monster set too. I'm now using Deadrick Trickery back and Stuhn front....I'm having fun.
    Has anyone dropped Mala yet?

What do you use at the moment @Joy_Division?

Magicka Sorcerer for the most part.

On a magplar, we only have 19 sets, so I probably use what 100 other people use: Spinners + Impreg + stat bonuses. It’s ok for not dying, but aginst good players or good specs, lack of good burst skill or defensive skill is frustrating so I dont play it much.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've created a guide - check it out!

https://youtu.be/rSICb07bjgU
  • KuroyukiESO
    KuroyukiESO
    ✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/QqIZ9oPCO4k

Still works pretty good
    XboxNA/ PS4 NA/ PC NATemplar and DK all day babyI make YouTube videos: https://youtube.com/kingkurotv
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the wonderful replies.

A month later, I'm doing quite well. I switched my template around in a few places and moved to DOTs.

Get good kills these days, can tank very easily, and can kite with average ability. Mostly I focused on being tanky and doing dps. Recoveries turned out nice after switching food/mundus.

Set-up:

Breton (dropped Vampire)
    Orzorga BH. Atronach Mundus.

30k health, 30k mag 15k stam, 1700/1000/1000 recoveries.
    4.5k spell damage, 45k Spell Resist, 38k Phys Resist

Buffed: 5.5ish SD, 2.2k/1500/1500 recovery.

Tool-tip on Jabs is 4k. 30K+ on Dots. Sweeps hits for 17k, Crit for 30k.
    19K Penetration. Tri-recovery potion. Critical Hit rate at 24% and 60% dmg.

Running Brass Fortress + Spinners. All dps CP.

FB:Jabs/Toppling Charge/Jesus Beam/Degen+Vamp Bane; ULT: Sweep
    BB: Heal/Purge/Focus + Puncture/Speed Skill; ULT: Spell Wall

Templar class still needs a ton of improvement, but for the moment, I feel much better.
    Edited by soniku4ikblis on May 11, 2021 4:13PM
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the wonderful replies.

A month later, I'm doing quite well. I switched my template around in a few places and moved to DOTs.

Get good kills these days, can tank very easily, and can kite with average ability. Mostly I focused on being tanky and doing dps. Recoveries turned out nice after switching food/mundus.

Set-up:

Breton (dropped Vampire)
    Orzorga BH. Atronach Mundus.

30k health, 30k mag 15k stam, 1700/1000/1000 recoveries.
    4.5k spell damage, 45k Spell Resist, 38k Phys Resist

Buffed: 5.5ish SD, 2.2k/1500/1500 recovery.

Tool-tip on Jabs is 4k. 30K+ on Dots. Sweeps hits for 17k, Crit for 30k.
    19K Penetration. Tri-recovery potion. Critical Hit rate at 24% and 60% dmg.

Running Brass Fortress + Spinners. All dps CP.

FB:Jabs/Toppling Charge/Jesus Beam/Degen+Vamp Bane; ULT: Sweep
    BB: Heal/Purge/Focus + Puncture/Speed Skill; ULT: Spell Wall

Templar class still needs a ton of improvement, but for the moment, I feel much better.

Looks nice to me man. Not sure what other people have said, but only thing that build needs imo is a way to get out of trouble. Maybe someone already mentioned this, idk, but a build like this will have you on your backbar block casting heals when you're feeling heavy pressure. Not necessarily a terrible thing, but you can't do it forever. I'd suggest slotting either Race Against Time, mist form or even Undo. All of those skills are get out of jail free cards when you're getting pressured and force your attackers to reset their rotation and chase after you.
    A dodge roll focused build is also another way to go, but that would require lots of other changes and means you'll have less stam for blocking
    PS4 NA
    Grand Master Crafter, PVP, Housing nerd