The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

"Reduces your damage taken while immune to crowd control"

Theignson
Theignson
✭✭✭✭✭
lots of CP and some armor have this awkward language.

Does it reduce damage when you are crowd controlled? Or only after you break free?

Or does CC immunity now start the instant you are cc-ed, so that these effects start, eg when you are rooted?

That would be much better, so that if you were rooted but couldnt break free (due , usually, to lag) you wouldn't be taking as much damage
Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
Glimson, Arcanist, Major
All EP/ PC NA
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its when you break free or pop an immovable pot or something to that effect.

when you are immune to CC this wispy circle swirls around your feet, during that time these effects are active.

what your thinking of is an effect similar to reactive armor that procs while under the effects of CC itself.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Vermintide
    Vermintide
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also applies to dodge roll, if I'm not mistaken? Where you get that green glow effect on your feet.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »
    Also applies to dodge roll, if I'm not mistaken? Where you get that green glow effect on your feet.

No you can get CCed while you have that green glow.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you cast a skill that Grant's you cc immunity, this also applies?
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen that mist under my character after hitting RAT. I always felt like there was something fishy going on there.
    PS4 NA
    Grand Master Crafter, PVP, Housing nerd
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe those effects only apply to the CC immunity you get from breaking free. CC immunity gained from other sources like Shuffle and immove pots do not get the benefit.

Wouldn't be so bad if Break free actually worked/applied its CC immunity effect like it is supposed to.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I know what cc immunity is and I know about the swirling white lines.

But what you need is to take less damage when you are CC'ed, NOT when you have CC immunity!

When you have CC immunity you can run around etc.

So my question is whether, currently, CC immunity starts when you are CC'ed or only after you break free.

If these CPs/skills only apply after you break free, IMO they are completely useless and no one should slot them
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »

But what you need is to take less damage when you are CC'ed, NOT when you have CC immunity!

So my question is whether, currently, CC immunity starts when you are CC'ed or only after you break free.

If these CPs/skills only apply after you break free, IMO they are completely useless and no one should slot them

those effects only apply when you get the CC immunity effects from actually breaking free.

I agree that they are borderline useless. Shame that 90% of the red tree is tied to CC immunity.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe those effects only apply to the CC immunity you get from breaking free. CC immunity gained from other sources like Shuffle and immove pots do not get the benefit.

This is the bit that requires clarification.

And really, the game needs to stop reusing the same terms for statuses with different sources and effects.

I've put CP into these stars on the basis of running shuffle. If that is not triggering those CP stars I can rethink the distribution.
    Edited by rbfrgsp on March 31, 2021 10:21PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

those effects only apply when you get the CC immunity effects from actually breaking free.

I agree that they are borderline useless. Shame that 90% of the red tree is tied to CC immunity.

They're not all useless.

The 10% reduced damage is super strong. Gives you more time to recover after someone tries to burst you.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coming out of cloak with an Immovability potion up, and using the CP star that automatically breaks you free every 21 seconds come to mind as features that may synergise with this.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crowd control immunity is the effect of being un stunable. People are getting caught up in semantics. Yes technically root and snares are a form of "crowd control" in the literal sense but that has never been the defining rule for CC immune for as long as it has existed in eso.

The cc immune red stars simply refer to the effect of being immune to hard stuns or otherwise interacting with the effect that is granted when you activate a break free ie the buff that is accompanied by the visual white swirl at your feet.

That being said, technically you cant be chain stunned, therefore one would assume upon being stunned, you are technically immune to other forms of hard CC and thus should benefit from the aforementioned red stars.

Honestly though, if you are not able to afford a break free and are forced to sit in a full duration CC in pvp, you are pretty much dead anyways. I absolutely disagree that the damage reduction bonus is useless after breaking free, as most people break free very quickly and continue to fight. These red stars very much help brawler style builds that stick around and duke it out. These bonuses have have been very helpful for my dark cloak magblade in IC.
    Edited by exeeter702 on March 31, 2021 8:08PM
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially in duels you pretty much get stunned every 6 seconds so you will have that damage reduction for most of the fight.
    In open world less so but its still worth it. I think its one of the strongest choices for the red tree in pvp.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

They're not all useless.

The 10% reduced damage is super strong. Gives you more time to recover after someone tries to burst you.

Cuz taking 4500 instead of 5000 will result in a noticeable change in TTK .... Not
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're not all useless.

Cuz taking 4500 instead of 5000 will result in a noticeable change in TTK .... Not

On paper it doesnt seem as much but 10% is pretty good, remember people backbared 2 piece Blessing of the Potentates for 5% reduced damage. 10% is Major Protection
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elo106 wrote: »

They're not all useless.

On paper it doesnt seem as much but 10% is pretty good, remember people backbared 2 piece Blessing of the Potentates for 5% reduced damage. 10% is Major Protection

Major protection is trash compared to what it once was; also it's multiplicative; so even in no CP you're looking at 8% if you only have some resistance. Even less if you have any other form of mitigation going on. In CP it can and probably drops to as low as 5/4%.

Bah. Stacking those forms of mitigation is just a massive opportunity cost for like no return.

20% (major evasion) is the lowest single form of mitigation I see actually increasing TTK by actually whole GCDs in this meta - if you discount stacked resistance to the level of off setting penetration. (Aka impreg or pariah)

Edit: words need correct spellings perhaps

Edit 2: people slot potentates because those types of sets are the most stat dense for a 2 pc. The choice of not using another 5 pc was made and sacrificed for the mythic/monster set. They dont slot potentates for the 5%; its that no other 2 pc provides that much of stat by comparison. (I.e. if a 2 pc gave 250 wpn/spell damage it would be choosen over it easily)
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 31, 2021 9:15PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting discussion. So far I'm not convinced I would slot these over: Boundless vitality (1400 hp) , Rejuvenation (150 to all recoveries, MR/SR/HR), Slippery (free break free which is worth ~3500 stam), Expert evasion (free dodge roll), or Strategic reserve ( up to 1500 HR !!).

CC immunity is 6 seconds so Juggernaut would give you 10% damage reduction for 6 seconds. This might be the best one. Hardened gives you 1 second more of CC immunity for 50 cp-- who would do this?? Peace of mind gives you 200 MR/HR for 6 seconds-- who would do that over Rejuvenation?? On Guard -- 10% increased damage blocking for 6 seconds.
    Of these maybe Juggernaut is best since in combat you will frequently have cc immunity via break free or potions.

Off topic I thought I would Ironclad, but it is only 1700 resists which is ~3% mitigation. Not better than the ones above.

Am I wrong or do people still think these "crowd control immunity" CPs are worth it
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    That being said, technically you cant be chain stunned, therefore one would assume upon being stunned, you are technically immune to other forms of hard CC and thus should benefit from the aforementioned red stars.
    Yes, you can be chain stunned. You have to break free, then you gain the immunity. The flag guards putting those small yellow half-spheres on you can chain stun you. These last a variable amount of time. Sometimes they are so short, you don't get a chance to break free and sometimes they do it again and again, because you never have a chance to gain immunity. That's why I like the Slippery CP star. It IMO also offers a certain amount of lag protection against players.

Juggernaut looks good to me, although I'm finding it hard to make room for it. I wouldn't live without Rejuvenation and Slippery. Some of my tankier characters use Strategic Reserve. Some of my magicka characters use Bastion. My last slottable tends to be health. I suppose you could trade that away for Juggernaut and/or find health elsewhere, but I think Juggernaut is especially strong in duels and less so in open world.

I tried Hardened, but outside of duels I don't think the extra second makes a difference. I don't see myself slotting both Piece of Mind and Rejuvenation, only the latter. I like consistency in my sustain, so relying on being regularly CCd is a bit iffy. As I am a dodge roller, On Guard is also out for me, but so is one extra dodge roll every 30 seconds. That doesn't seem good enough, compared to the auto break free. If that dodge roll doesn't ramp up your fatigue then maybe it could be good, but I don't know if it works that way.

The extra resistance may be worth it, but only for a character that already has high resistances. It's counter-intuitive, but that's the way the math works out. This has not just to do with penetration offsetting resistance, but also with resistances tending to be the biggest factor that reduces your damage taken and that 1.7K resistance being additive, unlike other types of mitigation.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭

It doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with breaking free, you get the benefit while cc immune like hard cc immune not snare, immobilize or root. You can get it through the heavy armor skill, mist form,escapist poisons or immovable potions and maybe some other thing like yes breaking free or even if you dont break free you are still cc immune afterwards
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, you are so much CC immune in Cyro, that its usefull either way. And as far as I know Immo Pots do activate it as well as any other skill potion or similar that gives you the whirling white circle.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • McGordon
    McGordon
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good think, if break free would work. Cc immunity need to hapen when u get cc not when u cc break. It would prevent anyone getting 3xcc at same time
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @fred4

On your stat sheet the roll cost is zero, then when you roll it still gives you the green stuff on your feet. So, afaik (because I unslotted it after seeing the glow) you pay the increased cost on the next one even though you paid nothing for the first.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vermintide wrote: »

I believe that's the roll dodge fatigue status or effect (something like that).
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭

Wouldn't be so bad if Break free actually worked/applied its CC immunity effect like it is supposed to.

This, it doesn't work off skills, so it's slightly less useful.

However CC is usually followed up by big burst so it's not entirely useless.

But as also mentioned breaking free is a god damn random chance, especially on console, so it's again less useful than other slotables