Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Did you know horses can swim?

danno8
danno8
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So can wolves, tigers, bears and most other animals.

Think about it ZoS. Give Argonians some other passive (or add more to the current one, since they got nerfed this patch), and let us not be dismounted when we enter waist deep water.

The speed can be no faster than unmounted if you want, just stop the dismount. It's pointless and even immersion breaking.

Thanks for your consideration!
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see new animations for a lot of content in this game but mount swim animations would be amazing
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know humanoids can swim underwater?
    Edited by CSose on March 28, 2021 6:09PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP. Horses should be able to swim anywhere the player can (just like in Oblivion and Skyrim). If slaughterfish attack, the horse dumps you and you're on your own.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have another request - riding in first-person perspective. I only play in first-person perspective and it annoys me that my immersion is destroyed by the third-person perspective while riding.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSose wrote: »
    Did you know humanoids can swim?

Not all of them. Some will sink like a rock if you toss them in..a flailing screaming rock.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    I have another request - riding in first-person perspective. I only play in first-person perspective and it annoys me that my immersion is destroyed by the third-person perspective while riding.

If you are on PC grab Unlimited Camera Zoom addon for that. It let's you zoom all the way in while on a horse.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They also vanish the instant they hit dry land! Did you know?

I also heard...

***vanishes in a puff of logic***
    Edited by danno8 on March 28, 2021 5:07PM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    If you are on PC grab Unlimited Camera Zoom addon for that. It let's you zoom all the way in while on a horse.

Aha, ok, thanks for the info. However, that would get me into a conflict, because I don't (want to) use addons.

• twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Aha, ok, thanks for the info. However, that would get me into a conflict, because I don't (want to) use addons.

Life is filled with choices.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to be able to swim while mounted because did you know swimming height is based on character height? There are some puddles a nord can go through just fine but a Bosmer or short Breton would get dismounted in. Having the mount swim would help greatly with this problem.

I know several other people with that same conflict in their head and I did to. When I finally bit the bullet and decided to install one I found there are some add-ons that don't change the look at feel of the game, but enhance it subtly. Like pChat for instance which makes the chat box easier to use and gives it additional functionality you'd expect from a modern day chat box.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many old westerns have you seen where the cowboys ride into a stream or river and their horses swim them across? It just makes sense.

What I'd like to know is what happens to the mount when we enter water. Did it sink to the bottom? Where is it?
    PCNA
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same place it goes when we dismount. lol
    I miss Shadowmere!
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »

That's true, but there is no argument against officially implementing a first-person riding perspective. ;)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crocodiles can not swim in ESO. Find an narrow but deep river and hit some crocodiles on the other side, attack them and they try to find an place to cross.
    Other animals or npc also don't swim so its an way to get away from guards, they can not CC you but they can shoot at you.

In other TES games enemies did swim, had an epic escape in Oblivion, I was running away from an small army of guards.
    I used water breathing and hug the bottom out from imperial city, the guards swam after me and tried to dive down but I was so deep they went out of air and had to return to the surface :)

Some in Morowind swam around the island pulling hundreds of swimming mobs, went ashore and blasted them with AoE :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »

That's true, but there is no argument against officially implementing a first-person riding perspective. ;)

Oh you'd think so wouldn't you.

But go ahead and start a poll and you'd be surprised how many wouldn't want development resources wasted on allowing first person horse riding.

Anyway I am very happy to see that everyone who replied agrees it would be a nice QoL feature if mounts were able to doggie-paddle without vanishing.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So can wolves, tigers, bears and most other animals.

I'm going to go ride each of these animals in the order given!
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »

Not all of them. Some will sink like a rock if you toss them in..a flailing screaming rock.

Like Turians?
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently swimming is a closely guarded secret in the second era. I don't know who leaks it, but I suspect Bosmer. They probably trade the knowledge for stealth and archery abilities.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know humanoids can swim underwater?

Maybe one day underwater swimming will be a feature
  • BeefcakeManwich
    It's definitely not necessary. But yes let us ride our mounts in the water. My keyboard, mouse and fingers would very much appreciate this very much.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animals with a rider cant swim.

Deep water that will knock you off your horse looks different than shallow water. It is easy to avoid.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Animals with a rider cant swim.

Deep water that will knock you off your horse looks different than shallow water. It is easy to avoid.

Yah they actually can. People have done it and can do it. It's no big deal.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How many old westerns have you seen where the cowboys ride into a stream or river and their horses swim them across? It just makes sense.

What I'd like to know is what happens to the mount when we enter water. Did it sink to the bottom? Where is it?

It jumps back into your horse pocket because it doesn’t want to get wet. 🐎 💦
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Horses in Tamriel are actually made of sugar.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »

It jumps back into your horse pocket because it doesn’t want to get wet. 🐎 💦

By that time I've fallen into the water and me and my horse pocket are both wet. ;)
    PCNA
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't swim in general in this game. I remember in some previous Elder Scrolls games you could swim and your mount could swim for the ones that had mounts. In here it's gone to water kills you.
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is a shame cause it cuts out soo many possibilities like underwater areas of delves and dungeons and secret hidden places underwater.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't swim in general in this game. I remember in some previous Elder Scrolls games you could swim and your mount could swim for the ones that had mounts. In here it's gone to water kills you.

What do you mean "water kills you"? I swim all the time. The only time I die to water is if I swim out too far and the slaughterfish get me.
    PCNA
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean "water kills you"? I swim all the time. The only time I die to water is if I swim out too far and the slaughterfish get me.

Fine, any water that's not shallow. And I don't think you can go underwater.
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right there is some water you can do it in but I think if you go in with mount it dismounts you. But you can't go underwater and there are waters that will kill you cause slaughterfish.