Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Breton: Promotion vs Actual

• LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... look at this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/561231/altmer-weapon-damage-yesss/p1

People are so happy to see High Elves having weapon damage, but when we talk about Bretons, some instantly oppose...

I'm not even trying to ask for any nerf on High Elves or any other races....
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Hetaira
    Hetaira
    ✭✭✭
    Those defending, what race and class do you play? What's your position on PvP leaderboard?

I've played a Bosmer Magplar since launch. Have emped on the FotM server multiple times. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 14, 2021 10:33AM
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hetaira wrote: »
    Those defending, what race and class do you play? What's your position on PvP leaderboard?

I've played a Bosmer Magplar since launch. Have emped on the FotM server multiple times. [snip]

Have you ever made a good Stam Breton 1 v x (CP PvP) and stay on leaderboard over a long time (not zergling / farming AP but really work in PvP)?

It will be great if there's a viable build.

edit: my main toon is a PvP magdk, and would like to change it to a stamdk...
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 14, 2021 10:33AM
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PC NA main is a Breton who fights with a Greatsword. It's true that he's a magicka-user to an extent, because he's a Sorc; but he's a PetSorc who uses stamina for fighting and magicka almost exclusively for summoning or triggering his pets. Is he BIS? Almost certainly not-- but I don't care, because I have a lot of fun with him.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play Breton at main character and I agree they should take something for a stamina build.

Most bretons have a knight education, we see a lot of bretons knights in High-Rock.

The imperial racial passive have some line about training I think.

It dosn't make sense to have altmers be better stamina than bretons.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    00e32da836ea3ecaf43a157ded6d2403.jpg
    What we got: sticky diaper man
    420d1ec2b21bed240345c44e290fea4e--breton-cosplay.jpg

Im dead, what is this comment hahaha

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I realised I have this costume and never used

I need to roll a diaper man

As side note I wish we had cloaks in ESO, in every fantasy game I try to find a cloak because it suits the ambience
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess we know why that breton lost to the nord now and why he respecced to necro later.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is so easy solution and I don't know why ZOS not implemented it already. Why just don't make option to morph some parts of passives like other skills? Why don't have option to moprh magicka bonus to stamina bonus or magicka regen to stamina regen? It don't brake balance, it's just give more options to play how you like. Race is important part of character identity, so why limit someone who wants Breton knight with bow and sword or Bosmer magicka warden-druid type?
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea, Breton and Redguard are like the two out of wack races at this point

absolutely no crossover ability into their opposing resource and far from best option at their primary resource they get bonuses for lol
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edit:

Interesting... look at this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/561231/altmer-weapon-damage-yesss/p1

People are so happy to see High Elves having weapon damage, but when we talk about Bretons, some instantly oppose...

I'm not even trying to ask for any nerf on High Elves or any other races....

ZOS promoted Breton viable for bow and sword. In reality, Breton is still a purely magicka race - in fact THE ONLY ONE purely magicka race now.

This patch grants even High Elf weapon damage but Breton (mixed bloodline of elves and human) is still a purely magicka class. Funny enough.

I know in CASUAL gaming, you can do whatever you like with any race, but I'm kind of a hardcore player. Race matters.

I like Bretons and played Breton in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, also ESO as my main characters.

ZOS, when will your promotion of Brenton made years ago come true?

See here for the promotion of Breton:

https://www.elderscrollsguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Breton1.jpg

https://youtu.be/FZV3Buc5vEc

If you don't mind, I'm going to drop a vid on this topic in which I mentioned the Bretons were a special case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBLG6li4mPU

In short: Even stam characters have to worry about magicka sustain somewhat. But unlike with the Altmer, none of the Breton's passives are wasted on a stamina character. The Bretons get sustain and spell resistance. That allows a Breton (like my tank) to focus on building for stamina. Like I said, the big difference is that none of the Breton passives are wasted on a stam character but with the Altmer, there are wasted passives.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on March 14, 2021 5:11PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Souterain wrote: »
    Who is presented in the game is being pretty much the best of something on the planet? I can't think of anybody other than Mannimarco and Sai Sahan, and they both fit their racial passives reasonably well. (Sai Sahan's big feat of guerrilla warfare speaks to endurance, and so does his ability to withstand mental torture.)

Maybe Vanus should be added, on the theory that he's pretty much Mannimarco's equal, but again that fits the Altmer role just fine.

Confusingly, Gabriele tends to worry about the limits on her sustain. :) But she's presented as being truly elite as a scholar more than as a practicing mage.

Archmage Shalidor (who also moonlights as an npc vendor in vivec craft area and a drunk in Windhelm ;) ) is a Nord magicka sorceror.

Right. But I don't see any reason to think of him as the best of the best, any more than I think Lyris rivalled Sai Sahan as the very greatest of individual warriors.
  • Nagastani
    Nagastani
    ✭✭✭✭
    This entire racial passive setup has now become a slippery slope.

This is one reason why old system was better and yet another reason why diversity starts by respecting our differences. Every culture cannot be everything all at once.
    Edited by Nagastani on March 17, 2021 1:24AM
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mostly Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have asked for Breton to get a max stamina racial passive on and of since eso release. I’m not complaining about high elf getting weapon damage no doubt there’s a lot of happy high elf fans now but it makes more sense Breton getting the weapon damage passive imo especially since we are part human.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on March 14, 2021 6:52PM
  • Nagastani
    Nagastani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have asked for Breton to get a max stamina racial passive on and of since eso release. I’m not complaining about high elf getting weapon damage no doubt there’s a lot of happy high elf fans now but it makes more sense Breton getting the weapon damage passive imo especially since we are part human.

I understand. That's why its important to give these kind of bonuses sparingly and in a manner that's more becoming of the culture rather than saying we're going to just 'buff' something for reasons and no clear reason why.
  • Netheniel
    Netheniel
    ✭✭✭
    I see racial passives as an archaic game mechanic inherited from Bethesda when they brought TES online. IMO, there shouldn't be any racial passives. The CP system is the perfect avenue to customize your player with that kind of detail. Or like other games, define your upbringing to dictate your perks. Raised by street thugs and became a cunning thief (better crits and stealth), or raised by nobles and became captain of the guard (better skill with martial weapons). That sort of system would add a nice touch to our characters and roleplay experiences.

I will say though, there is a huge disconnect at ZoS with how Bretons are portrayed in-game and in their marketing. Bretons in all cities are clearly either peasants or soldiers. It's rare to see any of them practice magic. In fact I see more Nord and Imperial mages than Breton. They seem to have an identity crisis.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your whole argument boils down to something that probably 2% of the game's population gives literally any crap about.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with one message I saw. Racial passives are just another way to make us grind another character, possibly buy out skill lines rather than farm or buy an additional character slot.

I was quite happy on my Breton up until now. I hope I won't be disappointed DPS wise with this patch.

Racial passives as a selling point = NO
    Racial passives that don't impact your damage = YES
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for rule violations, mostly Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.

Connor give us more competitive Breton skills please. You must know someone from the company, please help.
  • Vaeshti
    Vaeshti
    ✭✭
    You're right, I picked up a bow once on my Breton and my hand began to burn, blister, and turn to ash. Zenimax please help. Your cinematic trailer implied this build was the meta.
    [This user will be your friend in exchange for six bad puns.]
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Breton wields axes swords and bow not a staff ⚔️
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone make a Bow & Sword Breton and keeps sitting on high position on PvP leaderboards?

What speaks against it? in theory, I do not see anything that would prohibit to take a sword on front bar, bow on backbar and starting killing people. Especially in BG, with all proc sets you can find. Also in this patch mag chars profit from swords and bows. And maces. And knifes.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Phanex
    Phanex
    ✭✭✭
    I've mentioned on an older thread that they really should give us an alternate racial trait bar for everyone.

Like there are several different sub races amongst all the main races. Like the sea elves, the Reachmen, etc. etc. that ESO could exploit and allow us to have different stats.

Like the Sea Elves could be more Stamina based (along with optional skin) for those who want a pure stam elven.

The bretons could use the Reachmen trait line for a stamina based breton.

Just an option/suggestion.