The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

Is Zenimax an Ethically Run Business?

• furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said "no", but I sense that explaining the details of why I fell that way would end up in an unproductive series of tangents during the inevitable back and forth.

Instead, I just encourage anyone who feels that the way ZOS is handling the changes they are implementing with this patch do as I have, and head to Steam, Metacritic, and Amazon, and post a fair review that reflects how you feel about the game, your treatment as a customer, and any issues you might have with respect to ZOS's business practices (whether positive or negative). That's your only real option to get your voice heard and potentially have any influence on the matter.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys knew how many terrible companies are out there... you have no idea how good Zenimax is.

I made this thread because of the manipulative tactics I’ve seen other companies use. I desperately do not want zenimax to follow in their footsteps. Telling ourselves “well there are worse companies” anytime zos does something against the player’s best interests is how you GET those horrible companies in the first place. Change like that doesn’t happen overnight, it is a gradual process, a process I’ve witnessed zenimax following over the years. That is why its more important now more than ever before to make our voices heard and to hopefully convince zenimax that their ethical standards are worth more than a quick payout.

I obviously agree with the importance of raising awareness about this issue. It's true this game isn't the worst offender, but it's still a solid offender. It has very obvious hallmarks of cultivating "engagement" (aka, addiction or habit) and then focusing that attention towards cash shop microtransactions. Todays' games - especially GaaS games like MMOs - are not designed to be games you play, but games that play you.

One of the more accessible summaries of this issue can be viewed below, or here if you are someone who doesn't like watching videos.

https://youtu.be/77XCsUgp_es

Elder Scrolls Online ticks many of the boxes of addictive game design with the ultimate goal of coercing customers to spend more and more money on the game. Addictive gameplay design can be an issue in of itself, but when combined with aggressive monetization, the ethics of that are very suspect (and I'd personally call it bankrupt). None of this bodes well for future games developed by the company. Their fixation on quick payout has cost them future investment from me. Not that they care. Because this crap has gotten so normalized - and customers themselves play apologetics for bad game design - they'll get their profits anyway and keep doing what they're doing. That's fine. Other developers who don't do this crap will get my money instead. Hell, even EA has realized now that GaaS isn't all it's cooked up to be and that people do actually want just... regular games. But I digress...
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have closed this thread as it has a high potential to devolve and become toxic. Additionally, there is another thread about this topic already. If you wish to continue this discussion you may do so on the other thread located here.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.