The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

why do events bring out the worse parts of the player base?

wolfbone
wolfbone
✭✭✭✭✭
how come every time there's a event in game, there's always those really aggressive and toxic people who needlessly feel the need to start insulting people?
I point out at the world bosses that using aoe's on the bosses spawn spot will make it take longer to respawn after a fair few people complained it was taking a while, and got a lot of messages telling me to go [snip] my self, along with some more colorful things. I really dont get why they're so [snip] toxic/aggresive towards people for no [snip] reason

[Edit to remove profanity]
Edited by [Deleted User] on February 28, 2021 7:04PM
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're always there, its just that Events give them things to focus and swarm on.

Sidebar: Do aoe's actually affect the spawn? I thought it was strictly a timer affair. That almost sounds like the false rumors of "Don't auto pick a Chest or the loot is worse."
    Edited by B0SSzombie on February 28, 2021 4:04PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

I just finished a 3h farming in Vvardenfell and for the last 2h, nobody seemed to have Kwama Queen quest. However, during this time, I was constantly visiting the area, back and forth from other quest locations, always asking with "/s" (apart from zone chat" if someone around had the quest to share. Complete silence.

Then, very politely, I said in zone chat: "Dear players, please, leave your chat open. Zone ain't that much heavy on numbers at these hours and perhaps you have the quest someone else needs" (or something like that, I had only half of the sentence on my clipboard).

And some random person, very rudely answered "no", which can only be understood as 1) I won't leave my chat open and/or 2) I won't help other players. Since I don't want to have any contact with this sort of attitude, I obviously blocked said person but, by now, my block list can't hold more people so I often have to remove older ignored, those I didn't bother to add a note about why I blocked them, in favour of this new generation of toxic players. We/I need a MUCH bigger list to hold all toxicity among 18kk of players.

I'm so glad in the last minute (or so to speak) some nice player showed up and shared the quest — with a LOT of other players, everyone waiting for this one in particular.
    Edited by magnusthorek on February 28, 2021 4:19PM
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • INHUMANENATION
    INHUMANENATION
    ✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    how come every time there's a event in game, there's always those really aggressive and toxic people who needlessly feel the need to start insulting people?
    I point out at the world bosses that using aoe's on the bosses spawn spot will make it take longer to respawn after a fair few people complained it was taking a while, and got a lot of messages telling me to go [snip] my self, along with some more colorful things. I really dont get why they're so [snip] toxic/aggresive towards people for no [snip] reason

I like to believe they are actually great wonderful people who are just roleplaying ;)

Dont let ppl get you down buddy. Most trolls arent sober and just joshing. Some people are going thru a lot in life and act out online. I try and indulge ppl when I can. Not just for them but for myself as well :)
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 28, 2021 7:05PM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spawns (respawns) are on a timers!!!
    Events just put packs of players in the same place at the same time - unlike normal times!

Only slight issuwewith events is that only top 12 get loot, so having an AoE up at spawn is percieved as helping there, rather than not getting someting up until they respond!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »
    They're always there, its just that Events give them things to focus and swarm on.

Sidebar: Do aoe's actually affect the spawn? I thought it was strictly a timer affair. That almost sounds like the false rumors of "Don't auto pick a Chest or the loot is worse."

First I have heard of this. I know it does not work that way on delve and public dungeons.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then, very politely, I said in zone chat: "Dear players, please, leave your chat open. Zone ain't that much heavy on numbers at these hours and perhaps you have the quest someone else needs" (or something like that, I had only half of the sentence on my clipboard).

And some random person, very rudely answered "no", which can only be understood as 1) I won't leave my chat open and/or 2) I won't help other players. Since I don't want to have any contact with this sort of attitude, I obviously blocked said person but, by now, my block list can't hold more people so I often have to remove older ignored, those I didn't bother to add a note about why I blocked them, in favour of this new generation of toxic players. We/I need a MUCH bigger list to hold all toxicity among 18kk of players.

How can you have a full block list when I haven't blocked a single player in over 4,000 hours of game time?

Not saying you're wrong to block people, but in all that time I've never run across even one person that I didn't care to hear from again. Most people just go on about their day and won't even remember your name 30 seconds after leaving your PUG dungeon group.

I can't even imagine blocking someone for a 2 letter response that was almost certainly made in jest.

Whatever. You do you, I guess.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t condone toxicity in chat, but my guess is some players don’t like being told what to do especially when what you’re saying is wrong and does not affect boss spawns.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concentration of numbers. It's not really any more magical than that.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »

How can you have a full block list when I haven't blocked a single player in over 4,000 hours of game time?

Not saying you're wrong to block people, but in all that time I've never run across even one person that I didn't care to hear from again. Most people just go on about their day and won't even remember your name 30 seconds after leaving your PUG dungeon group.

I can't even imagine blocking someone for a 2 letter response that was almost certainly made in jest.

There are those special snowflakes who insist on letting everyone know they MUST be the center of attention. And unless you shut down zone chat completely, there's no escaping them without using Ignore. The other night it was a very mature individual with a screen name that included Poopy who informed everyone in detail as to his bathroom habits and managed to harass any new players who asked new player type questions in chat. After the description of how large a bowel movement he had, I really didn't care to hear more. Most of the ignores I have are along the same lines. Just because someone demands to be the center of attention doesn't mean I have to listen to them.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ... I point out at the world bosses that using aoe's on the bosses spawn spot will make it take longer to respawn ...
    Never heard of that, care to tell on what information / research that claim is based? People put aoe on boss spawn to have a change to tag it during the 3 seconds it's alive. And if they have already waited for spawn and missed the short window few times they may be bit grumpy.
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

I just finished a 3h farming in Vvardenfell and for the last 2h, nobody seemed to have Kwama Queen quest. However, during this time, I was constantly visiting the area, back and forth from other quest locations, always asking with "/s" (apart from zone chat" if someone around had the quest to share. Complete silence.

I'm so glad in the last minute (or so to speak) some nice player showed up and shared the quest — with a LOT of other players, everyone waiting for this one in particular.

You might think I'm rude for saying this, but nobody is actually required to keep their zone chat open or help other players, that some actually do is a nice gesture, that does make things easier, but it's not a requierement.

• HoosierPappy
    HoosierPappy
    ✭✭✭

So you complained, then feel offended someone returned the favor?

Zone chat "off".

Done.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 28, 2021 7:07PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you let frivolous stuff like this get to you so easily?
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when have aoe's stopped bosses spawning? Where is the evidence, and I want evidence in the form of the devs saying this is the case.

Not some anecdotal rubbish of my brothers cousins hairdressers aunts plumber said that he had heard that dropping aoe's might slow down the timers on World bosses.

Until then I think those that replied in chat to you had it right

And to the other player, I rarely share WB quests, I go, get the kill and leave, if I have to wait while it respawns I'll amuse myself without worrying about chat
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Human nature doesn't change. The events are poorly designed.

Or well-designed to promote asinine behavior. For all I know it's intentional, it's definitely consistent.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 28, 2021 7:07PM
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

Do I understand it right . Someone answered "no" and it is in your opinion rude and toxic sort of attitude?
    What would be better answer to show desagreement in your opinion?
    Edited by Scardan on February 28, 2021 6:33PM
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In any setting where players come together, it doesn't have to be an event, there is always someone who feels compelled to tell everyone else how to play. It doesn't often end well.
    Edited by Tandor on February 28, 2021 6:31PM
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, you are wrong. Spawns is on a timer and aoes dont affect them. Secondly, telling ppl what to do and not to do will come back to you when ppl dont asked for it.
    Edited by ErMurazor on February 28, 2021 6:52PM
  • tigerborn62
    tigerborn62
    ✭✭✭
    How does the type of damage given to the wb affect its re-spawn rate? I never heard that one.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop spreading misinformation. Bosses spawn on timers and loot goes to anyone that can do 3 % damage on the boss.
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop spreading misinformation. Bosses spawn on timers and loot goes to anyone that can do 3 % damage on the boss.

This is true about loot. But people can still get quest credit even if you just got one tick/light attack of damage in.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do keep in mind that the CWC and Morrowind world bosses only award loot for 12 people. It's probably 12 random people, as with the Molag Bal simulacrum. However, there's a persistent belief that it's the 12 top DPS who get the loot.

That's why players are dropping AOE. Players tend to nuke the world bosses in hopes of being top 12 DPS, which means that having an AOE on the ground beforehand is a strategy to ensure they get some damage- any damage at all - on the boss before everyone else nukes it.

And I second the requests to show where this "ground AOEs delay boss respawns" thing is anything other than a myth.

Nothing excuses toxic responses, but you shouldn't be spreading myths, and then expect players to go along with your idea when their tactics are designed to get them loot in a bad situation.

If you really want to make the situation better for everyone, appeal to ZOS to remove the 12 person loot limit from world bosses. They did remove the limit from dragons, so why not from other world bosses? This would solve the problems of people grumpily waiting around for the boss to spawn in the hopes that maybe this time they are the lucky twelve to get loot.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

I don't see how anyone is required to share quests with anyone else when you are more than capable of getting the quest on your own to do?
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No one is "required" to share quests with anyone, and AoEs don't affect boss respawn times.

Also someone replying with 'no' to a question in the chat is super common, and often an off the cuff response. Acting like these people are the worst of the worst who must be blocked at all cost certainly makes me feel like someone is toxic here and it's not the person saying no.
  • LostHorizon1933
    LostHorizon1933
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worst.

—Stannis Baratheon
  • wolfbone
    wolfbone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

from my personal experience, I think they do, as I've been the only one at a boss spawn, and If I used aoe's it took longer to respawn than it did if I just waited and did nothing
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

from my personal experience, I think they do, as I've been the only one at a boss spawn, and If I used aoe's it took longer to respawn than it did if I just waited and did nothing

So... anecdata then.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »

This... I have never blocked anyone and I got 3200 hours. I only block people in any system when they relentlessly attack me over and over again, but a passing thing? Who cares, you two will probably never meet again
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People would probably a less aggravated if the CWC portion of the event wasn't such a dog-eat-dog situation.

Normally during these events people are helpful but that collection daily was poorly thought out and just causes strife.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 2, 2021 2:53PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

How is this rude? It IS a bit selfish to refuse to share quests. But everyone has to be a little selfish sometimes for self-care. Some just don't feel up to helping others when they are playing and that's okay. It's not like he called you of your name or attacked people who needed a share. We're not entitled to a quest share.

I think you should really question what you consider toxicity. Ask yourself if someone is actually being toxic or are they just saying something you don't like.