The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

why do events bring out the worse parts of the player base?

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to make the situation better for everyone, appeal to ZOS to remove the 12 person loot limit from world bosses. They did remove the limit from dragons, so why not from other world bosses? This would solve the problems of people grumpily waiting around for the boss to spawn in the hopes that maybe this time they are the lucky twelve to get loot.

It is not random. You do 3% damage, you get loot. I get loot every single time. I don't know if it's because of a top dps system after a certain threshold or not, but I do know that if I get to the boss on time I will always get loot. And I also know my dps is high enough that there's little chance that 12 dps at the boss are better than me. I may not be score pushing good, but I know my dps is higher than most of the playerbase. And that I have never failed to get loot from a boss that I attacked from the start for years now. A statistical impossibility in a random system
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 1, 2021 2:32AM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

I just finished a 3h farming in Vvardenfell and for the last 2h, nobody seemed to have Kwama Queen quest. However, during this time, I was constantly visiting the area, back and forth from other quest locations, always asking with "/s" (apart from zone chat" if someone around had the quest to share. Complete silence.

Then, very politely, I said in zone chat: "Dear players, please, leave your chat open. Zone ain't that much heavy on numbers at these hours and perhaps you have the quest someone else needs" (or something like that, I had only half of the sentence on my clipboard).

And some random person, very rudely answered "no", which can only be understood as 1) I won't leave my chat open and/or 2) I won't help other players. Since I don't want to have any contact with this sort of attitude, I obviously blocked said person but, by now, my block list can't hold more people so I often have to remove older ignored, those I didn't bother to add a note about why I blocked them, in favour of this new generation of toxic players. We/I need a MUCH bigger list to hold all toxicity among 18kk of players.

I'm so glad in the last minute (or so to speak) some nice player showed up and shared the quest — with a LOT of other players, everyone waiting for this one in particular.
    1. Your statement serves no purpose. Anyone that can read it already has zone chat on. Anyone that cannot, already does not. HINT: "No" guy had his chat on.
    2. Addressing the zone in Kindergarten-speak was probably equally as offensive to the people on the other end. You're not the hall monitor. People are gonna do what they're gonna do, in either case.
    3. If you truly were interested in the reason, you could have asked them instead of assuming and immediately going to the extreme. How ironic would it have been if they truly were willing to share what you needed, but never got the chance to because you autopiloted to "add to my toxic list." They don't strike me as toxic so much as you strike me as entitled.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me about it...

I just finished a 3h farming in Vvardenfell and for the last 2h, nobody seemed to have Kwama Queen quest. However, during this time, I was constantly visiting the area, back and forth from other quest locations, always asking with "/s" (apart from zone chat" if someone around had the quest to share. Complete silence.

Then, very politely, I said in zone chat: "Dear players, please, leave your chat open. Zone ain't that much heavy on numbers at these hours and perhaps you have the quest someone else needs" (or something like that, I had only half of the sentence on my clipboard).

And some random person, very rudely answered "no", which can only be understood as 1) I won't leave my chat open and/or 2) I won't help other players. Since I don't want to have any contact with this sort of attitude, I obviously blocked said person but, by now, my block list can't hold more people so I often have to remove older ignored, those I didn't bother to add a note about why I blocked them, in favour of this new generation of toxic players. We/I need a MUCH bigger list to hold all toxicity among 18kk of players.

I'm so glad in the last minute (or so to speak) some nice player showed up and shared the quest — with a LOT of other players, everyone waiting for this one in particular.

I don't see how anyone is required to share quests with anyone else when you are more than capable of getting the quest on your own to do?

The part about being able to grab it themselves is false. A person who asks for a share is asking because they cannot get the quest on their own. ZoS designed the system so that you would be required to ask for a share if you want to do more than one. It's a design flaw imo. Either only let us do one a way day or let us do as many as we want until we take them all. This system where people have to ask in zone to do what they want is flawed.

That said, even if you must get the quest from someone. It doesn't make any individual player's responsibility to share it with you. Someone eventually will.

Edited by spartaxoxo on March 1, 2021 2:40AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »

How can you have a full block list when I haven't blocked a single player in over 4,000 hours of game time?

Not saying you're wrong to block people, but in all that time I've never run across even one person that I didn't care to hear from again. Most people just go on about their day and won't even remember your name 30 seconds after leaving your PUG dungeon group.

I can't even imagine blocking someone for a 2 letter response that was almost certainly made in jest.

Whatever. You do you, I guess.
    Same, but has two people on block list no no idea why.

And yes events bring out the worst because the crabs in an bucket setting.
    It gets better as event goes on as its less farming.

First day is always crazy because human stupidity.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people set the bar too low for calling a certain behavior "toxic." That word gets thrown around to describe almost any behavior. It's lost all meaning and power now.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some people set the bar too low for calling a certain behavior "toxic." That word gets thrown around to describe almost any behavior. It's lost all meaning and power now.

Tbh I never have seen anyone else describe a situation like that one as toxic. I don't view it as a general thing but an anecdote specific to the person who told it.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    People would probably a less aggravated if the CWC portion of the event wasn't such a dog-eat-dog situation.

Normally during these events people are helpful but that collection daily was poorly thought out and just causes strife.

I've come to believe that someone at ZoS enjoys the toxicity that arises and is sat somewhere watching with a smile.

The solution to the Hunger Games that CWC currently is would be to make it only require 3 resources and if you go into aggro range of an enemy, even if it's already aggro'd by someone else it's also aggro'd on you and you can't harvest.

That would stop the people who deliberately wait until someone is engaged with enemies near a resource then swoop in to take it before the person who was there for it can.
  • Bunnios
    Bunnios
    Soul Shriven
    renne wrote: »
    The solution to the Hunger Games that CWC currently is would be to make it only require 3 ZERO resources

Fixed that for you.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bunnios wrote: »
    The solution to the Hunger Games that CWC currently is would be to make it only require 3 ZERO resources

Fixed that for you.

If you want to pick up zero resources don't do the quest.
  • GreenHere
    GreenHere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »

How can you have a full block list when I haven't blocked a single player in over 4,000 hours of game time?

Not saying you're wrong to block people, but in all that time I've never run across even one person that I didn't care to hear from again. Most people just go on about their day and won't even remember your name 30 seconds after leaving your PUG dungeon group.

I can't even imagine blocking someone for a 2 letter response that was almost certainly made in jest.

Whatever. You do you, I guess.

*BLOCKED!*

REPORTED

(kidding) :P

• Bunnios
    Bunnios
    Soul Shriven

Fixed that for you.

If you want to pick up zero resources don't do the quest.

If you have a pile of ***, reducing that pile by 50% still leaves you with a pile of ***.

We want *solutions* which entirely remove the pile of ***, not reducing it by some arbitrary number.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reducing it means that there's less competition for it except with farmers. It's still an aspect of the quest.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    By the way, I've tested that Herbalist Satchel nodes in Blackreach do work for the CWC fight-for-nodes daily. I have not tried yet but I think its likely Torn Cloth, Scrap Wood &cet. nodes in Blackreach also should work.

In any case, quest or not, I keep shamelessly harvesting any kind of nodes I pass by in CWC because that's what I do everywhere + double drops.
  • Bunnios
    Bunnios
    Soul Shriven
    Reducing it means that there's less competition for it except with farmers. It's still an aspect of the quest.

Why not make it 1 (one) then? Why 3? Why not 2? or 4?

That's quite an odd way of dealing with problems - reducing the effect of the problem when you have the option to remove the problem entirely. The quest does NOT have to include a resource gathering part - and in fact, feels quite out of place with the main part of the quest.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on March 2, 2021 2:51PM
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dropping AOE's does not affect the spawn timer of a mob. That's just another urban myth.

That being said, ZOS could reduce the respawn timer of the world bosses during the event. Standing around for minutes doing nothing is a p.i.t.a.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's the spirit of events ?

What I see is Harvest contest .
  • fredthefrown
    fredthefrown
    ✭✭✭
    The real answer is probably FOMO
  • Lady_Lindel
    Lady_Lindel
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a good time with this event. I've shared quests and joined others. Gathering nodes is a problem but I only do the ones I need for the quest. I've chatted to people, made new friends, even fished with someone just to chill. Toxic people are out there, but overall I found it all really fun:-) I'm doing it on 3 characters and it has been great for my crafters :smiley:
  • xTAKISx
    xTAKISx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edaphon wrote: »
    Tell me about it...

Sounds more like you're the toxic player, tbh.

I agree. Perfect case of 'everyone else is...' with a smidgen of 'everyone must help me' privilege.
    Edited by xTAKISx on March 1, 2021 9:42AM
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when did AOEs extend boss respawn timers? I've seen boss' spawn right after people set off aoes and while they were doing it again and again so I kind of question whether this is really a thing.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfbone wrote: »
    how come every time there's a event in game, there's always those really aggressive and toxic people who needlessly feel the need to start insulting people?
    I point out at the world bosses that using aoe's on the bosses spawn spot will make it take longer to respawn after a fair few people complained it was taking a while, and got a lot of messages telling me to go [snip] my self, along with some more colorful things. I really dont get why they're so [snip] toxic/aggresive towards people for no [snip] reason

[Edit to remove profanity]

Where have you learned that bit of nonsense? Spamming aoes or not on the boss spawn does nothing to alter the respawn time. It's on a set timer that6the same for all WBs in the game.

So yeah @wolfbone source for that.
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though on my main toon I have a way to boost damage enough that it always seems to give me drops without aoe spamming. Vampire ultimate transformation when boss comes up then attack them till they're dead. I assume werewolf would be a good option as well.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not make it 1 (one) then? Why 3? Why not 2? or 4?

That's quite an odd way of dealing with problems - reducing the effect of the problem when you have the option to remove the problem entirely. The quest does NOT have to include a resource gathering part - and in fact, feels quite out of place with the main part of the quest.

Every MMO player ever has commented that quests that involve "go to X and collect/kill N objects" is lazy and stupid quest design and when the "designers" deliberately make events interact with such bad quests it speaks to incredibly poor decision making.

Or you could just skip it. I frankly would rather the quest not include a delve component at all. The resource gathering part is the entire reason I like the quest and the entire reason I ever do it. It makes finding mats even easier than keen eye. The event is kind of a sucky time to do it, but it's a fantastic quest outside of the events.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on March 1, 2021 9:50AM
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Tell me about it...

I don't see how anyone is required to share quests with anyone else when you are more than capable of getting the quest on your own to do?

The part about being able to grab it themselves is false. A person who asks for a share is asking because they cannot get the quest on their own. ZoS designed the system so that you would be required to ask for a share if you want to do more than one. It's a design flaw imo. Either only let us do one a way day or let us do as many as we want until we take them all. This system where people have to ask in zone to do what they want is flawed.

That said, even if you must get the quest from someone. It doesn't make any individual player's responsibility to share it with you. Someone eventually will.

If you ask me the design flaw is to allow the sharing of daily quests. If they were truly meant to be daily, as in "once per day", they shouldn't allow us to share them. Or we could get them via share but only if we hadn't done that type of quest for that zone yet that day.
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    People who want to be in zone chat, will be in zone chat already. You can't expect anyone to take that kind of demand seriously. I've had no problem getting a quest share, just read zone and wait for someone to "S for Siren" or whatever, and do it myself when I roll up on a boss with a quest and nobody else around.

The CC mats respawn so fast during events it's not that hard, either, just walk 10m off the road where everyone's gathering.

Everyone's seemed pretty reasonable this event, but I guess I haven't met the wrong people.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Etny2k
    Etny2k
    ✭✭
    I was standing on a delve boss spawn for about 10 minutes until I got my lead. These two people come up with the audacity blaming me standing there making the respawn time worse. I was just doing it for 10 minutes, the spawns are all over the place. I gave him a make me b****.
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, in contrast to OP, I have met only friendly or neutral people during the event (on PC EU server). In fact, someone even went so far as to craft for me an entire suit of gear plus a stack of food, and I didn't even ask for it. I only asked in the chat what craftable sets are best for PvE tanking and he took the trouble to make this gift to me. Needless to say, I'm very grateful.

Also, I had a nostalgic, friendly conversation in the zone chat about Morrowind and other past TES titles. Plus, grouped with random people on a number of occasions for world bosses and other stuff and all went well. The worst I encountered was unresponsiveness to chat and one time when the group members just scattered all over the place instead of teamwork. My friend list got two or three new additions and I'm rather picky about that.

Of course, people didn't always respond for zone chat requests to share quests. But the thing is, no one owes me that. So that didn't bother me at all. In fact, no one owes any random guy anything in the game really, except not to be purposely dickish. With that attitude, one can avoid lots of hurt feelings.

And I did my part too to make the experience positive. Pulled my weíght as far as I could, offered in the chat to share my daily quests and responded readily to people needing help. It's a two-way street, after all.

All in all, these few days cemented my resolve to engage more in group play. I bought the game originally for soloing, as a "fix" for my craving for TES VI, but the multiplayer aspect is surprisingly fun. In fact, I've encountered none of the "toxicity" people so often speak of, except for a few cowardly gankers in the IC. So I wonder if it depends on the server, or on people's perception of what toxicity is.
    Edited by Tesman85 on March 1, 2021 3:02PM
  • Neiska
    Neiska
    ✭✭✭✭
    My two cents, for what its worth!

Not everyone is going to agree on what toxic actions are, well, toxic. As an example, to some, running and opening a chest while someone is fighting right next to it is toxic. To others, that's fair play. For me personally? I would consider it a bit "rude" moreso than "toxic".

Overall my experience with other players has been largely pleasant. Certainly other games (whom's titles I wont mention, unsure if that's allowed on the forums. Some game forums don't allow that.) are far worse. Here are some examples of what I would consider "toxic", across multiple games -

1. A high level hanging around a low level area, repeatedly killing quest NPCs, for no other reason than just to hamper other players quest completion.
    2. "Gatekeeping" epic mobs - Repeatedly killing a mob that dropped that certain special item for a class epic, and then "charging" other people the rights to loot it. If it isn't bought, it rotted. Simply put, if you didn't pay this person what they asked, you would "never" get your epic/legendary item, and there was nothing you could do about it.
    3. "Training" people - an older term, while a player would aggro an entire group of mobs, run right next to another random player, and feign death right next to them, dropping all of that mob aggro right onto that other player.
    4. A thief/rogue/sneaky sort stealing all the drops from a boss, and moving on. A few hours later, a group arrives to to kill said mob, only to discover that this big epic dragon only had a few rolls of penny's and some pocket lint.
    5. "Charming" other players, and them forcing them to run at/attack a guard/monster/etc, some of which carry more impact than death/respawn. Things such as jail times/loss of skills or stat points etc.
    6. Killing a player, then dragging/summoning their corpse in a difficult/impossible to get to location - top of a mountain, dropping it in the bottom of the ocean, behind the big bad evil guys chair, so on.
    7. Breaking into a new players house (though the new players unknown house settings) and stealing/destroying their stuff.

Etc.

So, yes, I have bumped into some rude sorts. But that's normal. To be expected I would argue, its the internet. And people are going to disagree. I would say that's normal too! People aren't always going to get along, or agree on what is or is not, on any given topic.

While ESO has had a few bumps and unexpected turns, there has been many pleasant surprises too, which to me does sort of set it out among other games. So to me, I haven't come across any truly "toxic" players yet. Quirky, rude, or odd, most certainly. But "toxic"? No, not really.

I think games have overall gotten better at what they do or don't allow a player to do, that impacts other players gameplay.

Best wishes!
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    Dropping AOE's does not affect the spawn timer of a mob. That's just another urban myth.

How come there are no rural myths?
  • SeekerAssassin
    Tell me about it...

I don't mean to be rude and I'm sorry if it sounds that way but why do ppl think its required for others to share there daily quests. I mean i know it would be nice but its not required and unless your in a group of friends that shares them regularly it should never be expected.
    Edited by SeekerAssassin on March 1, 2021 7:03PM