The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should weapon/spell critical stat be combined to just critical chance?

Sinolai
Sinolai
✭✭✭✭✭
Lately armor buffs ward and resolve were combined to one buff and soon after physical/magical penetration followed, being now called armor penetration and fracture debuff was removed from the game (for some reason monster sets are still granting just one type of penetration)

While I think combining the armor and pene stat in skills was a good call to save some bar slots, I dislike the rework when it comes to sets as it simplifies the builds too much.

One stat I would like to bring together however is the crit stat. ZOS seems to be working hard to make "spellsword" type hybrids somewhat viable at the moment but the two biggest obstacles on the path are:
1.Max stat translates directly into weapon/spell damage.
2. Weapon and Spell critical can not be effectively stacked together. you must always go for one or another.

While there are ways to somewhat circulate around the first obstacle, the second one is harder to pass. Bringing these stats together would remove the 2nd obstacle and I would expect this to increase build diversity especislly on pvp side (unlike the armor rework that just gave easy access to both resistances for everyone).

Ps. I would not like to combine weapon and spell damage stats becouse like with the armor buffs (which could have been left separated in gear pieces), that would make things too simple and wouldnt make much sense roleplay wise (crit stat is more roleplay friendly, since critical chance comes from your your knowledge of anatomy, agility and precision of your hand and weapon, rather than being raw power).
Edited by Sinolai on February 26, 2021 11:03AM

Should weapon/spell critical stat be combined to just critical chance? 57 votes

Yes
91%
ssewallb14_ESONebthet78manny254AektannArwyrkojouSahidomboaz733MayraelUltravylencelillybitC0L0SSUSxI_The_Owl_IxEvil_RurouniSinolaiDrazoriousFischblutJacen_VeronIrfindSilverIce58 52 votes
No
8%
VevvevwoeRunefangankeorCageKnight 5 votes
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sinolai wrote: »
    Lately armor buffs ward and resolve were combined to one buff and soon after physical/magical penetration followed, being now called armor penetration and fracture debuff was removed from the game (for some reason monster sets are still granting just one type of penetration)

While I think combining the armor and pene stat in skills was a good call to save some bar slots, I dislike the rework when it comes to sets as it simplifies the builds too much.

One stat I would like to bring together however is the crit stat. ZOS seems to be working hard to make "spellsword" type hybrids somewhat viable at the moment but the two biggest obstacles on the path are:
    1.Max stat translates directly into weapon/spell damage.
    2. Weapon and Spell critical can not be effectively stacked together. you must always go for one or another.

While there are ways to somewhat circulate around the first obstacle, the second one is harder to pass. Bringing these stats together would remove the 2nd obstacle and I would expect this to increase build diversity especislly on pvp side (unlike the armor rework that just gave easy access to both resistances for everyone).

Ps. I would not like to combine weapon and spell damage stats becouse like with the armor buffs (which could have been left separated in gear pieces), that would make things too simple and wouldnt make much sense roleplay wise (crit stat is more roleplay friendly, since critical chance comes from your your knowledge of anatomy, agility and precision of your hand and weapon, rather than being raw power).

Agreed, and I'd go one step further and change the listing of the stat to a whole number that better represents the amount of chance that is being added. So, rather than "Adds 833 Spell/Weapon Critical" on a set, you would see "Adds 4% Critical Chance" or what the equivalent would be.
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    Agreed, and I'd go one step further and change the listing of the stat to a whole number that better represents the amount of chance that is being added. So, rather than "Adds 833 Spell/Weapon Critical" on a set, you would see "Adds 4% Critical Chance" or what the equivalent would be.

They don't do this because the calculations are not done with the percentages. Percentages actually take a far bit of computing to use so it is better for the performance to keep it at a whole number.

• kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I wouldn't mind. Might as well do the same for weapon and spell damage at this point.
    Playing since beta...
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    The AY dagger magicka DPS meta could be fun mind you
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I thought about it some time ago but it messes up some build combinations if I remember it correctly.
    It can exist for sets which are already hybrid such as NMA only for making the reading easier.
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

They don't do this because the calculations are not done with the percentages. Percentages actually take a far bit of computing to use so it is better for the performance to keep it at a whole number.

Did not know that. I honestly haven't looked too far into the calculation for crit, but rather have a passing knowledge that somehow the 833 translates to approx. 3-4% crit chance (IIRC). I do feel that the various numbers used throughout the game could be a bit more friendly. (Like why are the numbers used 129, 833, 1096, 2550 and so on? Why not 100, 1000, or 800? Would make the Stat -> Damage calculation easier: 1000 Mag/Stam = 100 SD/WD. Or could a set like CA provide 1000 Mag 2-4 piece bonuses and 2500 (x2.5) 5 piece bonus, instead of 1096 and 2550 (x ~2.3266423358)).
    Edited by ealdwin on February 26, 2021 10:12PM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Did not know that. I honestly haven't looked too far into the calculation for crit, but rather have a passing knowledge that somehow the 833 translates to approx. 3-4% crit chance (IIRC). I do feel that the various numbers used throughout the game could be a bit more friendly. (Like why are the numbers used 129, 833, 1096, 2550 and so on? Why not 100, 1000, or 800? Would make the Stat -> Damage calculation easier: 1000 Mag/Stam = 100 SD/WD. Or could a set like CA provide 1000 Mag 2-4 piece bonuses and 2500 (x2.5) 5 piece bonus, instead of 1096 and 2550 (x ~2.3266423358)).

The magic number is 21912 for 100% crit chance at max level (CP 160). Talk about strange numbers...at least it's a palindrome?

Take the crit rating of a buff or piece of gear and divide it by 219.12 to see how many percentage points something is going to add, e.g.:

Precision in CP 2.0 adds up to 640 crit rating. 640/219.12 = 2.92% added to your crit chance.

(ETA: I would think that's rounded to 2.9% actual.)

A line of critical chance on set gear will now provide 657 crit rating rather than 833.

That's where they're getting 3% and 3.8%, respectively, for those numbers: 657/219.12 = 2.998% (3%), while 833/219.12 = 3.8002% (3.8%)

On the bright side, we can practice our math skills while playing! :D
    Edited by virtus753 on February 26, 2021 11:11PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

That doesn't mean sets can't automatically convert the number for us. It takes 1 line of code on a set, while keeping the calculations behind the scenes to whole numbers.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Scardan
    Scardan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Simplicity is the King.
    Let's be extremely precise in our use of terms.