The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

An interesting point about the lag

milllaurie
milllaurie
✭✭✭✭
Yesterday me and my friends were smallscaling with a 3-5 people group. Blues have taken their scroll from Alessia and we were like "let's intercept 40 blues with 3 of us because YOLO". We fear, streak, negate, ultidump on the small bridge on the way to roe. We fight for a few moments and we die. No lag. Zero. Even though we were facing 40+blues.
Jumping a little bit forward (like 10 min) - we are taking some resources at Rayles, we decide to tag a keep, we open the outer, 7-8 blues show up, we start falling back aggroing all the npcs in the keep. Massive lag, player positions screwed up, skills don't hit, hp desynced. More and more blues show up but that does not impact the lag at all. After fighting for like 10-15 minutes we decide to wrap up because it is unplayable. You streak in direction you were aiming 2 sec ago, you are knocked off the top of a resource tower and do not take any damage, you take treb damage after 5 seconds, etc.

So before we log out someone makes a point that fighting 40+ blues was not laggy at all but fighting 12-15 of them was a turn-based-rpg. We started discussing it and few main differences were:
When we jumped them carrying scroll they were not buffed;
There were no npcs around.

I will keep monitoring these two circumstances and trying to get to similar situations to check if I can repeat no buffs-no lag and no npcs-no lag situations separately.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would make sense, as buffs add countless variables to both offensive and defensive stats, regardless of whether or not anyone's wearing proc sets.

During this test, the only patterns I've been able to observe are:

1. The bigger the battle, the bigger the lag. Speaks for itself, but the type of lag experienced in this instance, where it's just 2 large zergs facing each other in a keep, is that there's more stuttering and FPS drops, but abilities still more or less work.
    2. As soon as there's a ballgroup around, you can immediately notice it because of the lag. However, as opposed to the above example, this situation will also result in abilities simply not firing, huge ability lag, barswap malfunctioning, etc. To your point, a ballgroup is simply a medium-sized group of players with constant buff up-time, so buffs indeed seem to play a major role in all of this.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been saying for years that tower guard npcs increase lag exponentially.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: reds have the hammer, they are like 30-40 player zerg. Zero lag. I check population - yellow locked, reds 3 bars, blues 2 bars.
    Yellows overtake the reds, take the hammer, take a few keeps until it vanished. Still zero lag.
    Fast forward 30 min, smallscaling at nikel, aggroing blue group but also aggroing npcs. Skills star to work funny. Sometimes barswap does not work. Quick peek at pop - all locked.
  • INe_Saninus
    INe_Saninus
    ✭✭✭
    Lag is most present when around guards.
    Try taking a resource when no one is around. Massive lag.
    Guards are present at keeps.

I don't doubt that ball groups, cross healing, and proc sets contribute to lag...
    ...but I'm putting my money on guards causing the largest part of it.

*this is a console perspective. I can tell you that anywhere there are guards is where I lag the most. Play on Xbox series X.
    Edited by INe_Saninus on February 23, 2021 4:58PM
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I noted the other day as well that performance seems to take a dive around NPC's...
    I caught some footage the other night of how terrible it was https://youtu.be/O71iZompzIc

An hour later I logged back in and it worked perfectly with no change to pop.
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guards are definitely fishy, the lag goes up around them for quite some time now. Have you noticed with mortal coil you can be 15 feet away from a guard and still be healing them with it?
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed the guards completely freak out, spinning around and not really doing any damage to players during lag spikes.

Now that I think about it, scroll battles in the middle of nowhere doesn't seems to lag like it does in keeps.
    PS | EU
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    So it's a pathfinding issue? Can we have one test where NPCs in Cyro are disabled?
    Edited by jhharvest on February 23, 2021 5:16PM
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jhharvest wrote: »
    So it's a pathfinding issue? Can we have one test where NPCs in Cyro are disabled?

With double ap the pvdooring will be epic! 😂
    I hope they just arm @ZOS_GinaBruno to guard the unprotected keeps! Armed to the teeth with dev codes!
    Edited by relentless_turnip on February 23, 2021 6:01PM
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    The other MMO I've played is Planetside 2 and that doesn't have any NPCs. They resolved it by having it take a minute or two for the point to flip.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The other MMO I've played is Planetside 2 and that doesn't have any NPCs. They resolved it by having it take a minute or two for the point to flip.

It could warn the defending faction before it's tagged as soon as it is attacked as oppose to waiting until it is 50% sieged.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭

It could warn the defending faction before it's tagged as soon as it is attacked as oppose to waiting until it is 50% sieged.

All keeps would be burning all the time :D.
    Trolls, too easy diversions. I suggest chaosball mechanics on flag 😄
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If we could find out why Planetside 2 doesn't lag despite the fact that it is the game which is most similar to Cyro...
    Edited by Thraben on February 24, 2021 1:14PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    milllaurie wrote: »

All keeps would be burning all the time :D.
    Trolls, too easy diversions. I suggest chaosball mechanics on flag 😄

Good point 😂 I hope by "chaosball mechanics" you don't mean the flag becomes mobile 😂(that's a joke btw)
  • theCampeR_
    theCampeR_
    ✭✭✭
    Next test!
    All npcs in cyrodiil are replaced with EP players.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    theCampeR_ wrote: »
    Next test!
    All npcs in cyrodiil are replaced with EP players.

As an EP player I can assure you the utmost impartiality 😬🤞
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They got rid of the deer, so the guards are next.
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭
    Good point 😂 I hope by "chaosball mechanics" you don't mean the flag becomes mobile 😂(that's a joke btw)
    You know I was just today thinking it would be really cool if there was a caravan defence mode, sort of like TF2 Payload. It'd make fights more dynamic when you aren't fighting all the time at the same place.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth a shot, they are useless outside of the random negate they throw anyway.

Though pre-patch 2, Cyoriil generally worked decently, even with the mercs people could buy (does anyone still have one lol?)
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know I was just today thinking it would be really cool if there was a caravan defence mode, sort of like TF2 Payload. It'd make fights more dynamic when you aren't fighting all the time at the same place.

Yes that would be cool. You mean kind of like an alternative to a scroll? Because the aim would be very similar, but the process may be different. How do you imagine this? With majority player proximity causing the caravan to move in a favourable direction? I think you would need at least a few to avoid faction stacking. My concern is also cyrodill doesn't work as it is... This may just exasperate the current issues.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    They got rid of the deer, so the guards are next.

NPC Guards "When they came for the deer; I said nothing because I was not a deer. When they came for destructible resource towers, I said nothing because I was not a destructible resource tower. When they came for me, there was nobody to say anything because I was alone"
  • Armethius
    Armethius
    ✭✭✭

Yes that would be cool. You mean kind of like an alternative to a scroll? Because the aim would be very similar, but the process may be different. How do you imagine this? With majority player proximity causing the caravan to move in a favourable direction? I think you would need at least a few to avoid faction stacking. My concern is also cyrodill doesn't work as it is... This may just exasperate the current issues.

This would be awesome for attacking bleakers and bridge... need something to stand a chance against zerg respawn besides FCs.