The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Since I joined recently, can you explain the history of Templar nerfs?

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
I joined only one year ago so idk about much of this game's history. Could someone explain the trajectory of Templar nerfs? From what I've gathered, it was very OP at times. I've read something about a blinding skill, that made incoming attacks miss, and something about a blazing shield build? How was the Templar OP in the past? Cheers
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just click on each skill and it will show a history of changes in the patch notes at the bottom of each page.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Aedric_Spear
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Dawn's_Wrath
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Restoring_Light

Stay safe and have fun :)

edit had to fix the links
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on February 22, 2021 7:55AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better off not knowing, trust me.
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 22, 2021 2:12PM
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite playstyles was as a ranged magplar. Before there was a shield cap, we could run max mag builds using sets like necropotence (clanfear monster set for the pet requirement). A big harness magicka shield (before the harness nerf), and massive honor the dead heals.
    Oh and Eclipse used to be OP af on a ranged plar :D
    Magplars were gods back then, pour some out.
    PS4 NA
    Grand Master Crafter, PVP, Housing nerd
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would be a lot to document to be honest.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links, I have read those already, I was asking about a critical summary like that provided by WabanakiWarrior.

I see. I had also seen Eclispe used with DW for melee builds, which made you untouchable.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In beta Templar was good, pre-launch they got nerfed. Basically donkey punched every patch since then. The end.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens and Necromancers were added to the game. Then mythics. Templars paid the price to make those more appealing/less broken.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time we had Blinding Flashes, and it was glorious. In those halcyon days Blazing Spear stunned enemies when it landed, and Blazing Shield mitigated and dealt enough damage to be worth slotting in every build

I remember those distant days, when Breath of Life healed you+2 allies in any direction, and we had access to Major Mending as a class passive, and Repentance restored Stamina to allies.

And one by one they got gutted, a shadow days gone past.

Still in a better place than NB though :D
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very short answer ? It has 3 letters: PVP
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    I joined only one year ago so idk about much of this game's history. Could someone explain the trajectory of Templar nerfs? From what I've gathered, it was very OP at times. I've read something about a blinding skill, that made incoming attacks miss, and something about a blazing shield build? How was the Templar OP in the past? Cheers

All four of the original classes were more powerful back in the days of blinding flashes and blazing shield. (Have they still not made it useful again? Really?)

Joy_Division ^^ has written about the history of templar nerfs in detail on this forum before. Searching that up should be educational.
    Reverb wrote: »

Still in a better place than NB though :D

:'(

• exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wardens and Necromancers were added to the game. Then mythics. Templars paid the price to make those more appealing/less broken.

This is very disingenuous. You may not be willing to believe this but zos has always had a vision for each of the 4 initial classes be capable of fulfilling the role of a healer. Necromancers and wardens having a more straight forward healing skill line (even moreso than templars restoring light skill line) was simply a design decision to better communicate to new players how healing works with them, than say a NB having its core healing components made viable via passives and morphs of certain skills accross more than a single skill line.

Templars were the dominant healer for many years purely due to their exclusive procession of the single most critical utility for groups in every aspect of the game - giving stamina to allies - at a time where nothing else in the game could do so outside of far weaker outliers like dsa resto staff and later on sentinel of rkugahmz monster set which was meh back then.

People like to pretend that templar was the intended defacto no questions asked healer of eso because they a "dedicated healing skill line" as well as the above vice grip on a key utility that groups needed. The reality was restoring light contained spells that didnt really define templar healers, many of which were analogous to the resto staff options. No one was using prayer over springs spam and combat prayer, the hot value of cleaning ritual weaker than regen and most of the early trials had no critical mandatory use for the purge. Bol was often not even slotted in groups that had the gist of most encounters early on.

Dks shared the privilege of having an on demand major mending with templars (it was a confirmed fact at the time that major mending was given to DKs as an attempt to help dk healers, but that never worked because of how dk tanks would often overwrite the sheild making a dk healer a liability to a group but that is another story altogether).

The fact was that templars were the defacto healers for tools they had that were not even in the restoring light skill line, tools that belonged to skill lines for which tank and dps builds equally utilized.

Sorcs were given matriarch burst heal, NBs were given the single most strongest single target hot in the game(before it was turned into a massive burst heal), dks were given obsidian shard and cauterize and orbs was turned into an alternate version of shards with universal resource return all before warden and necromancer were ever added to the game.

Most of templars nerfs over the years stemmed from pvp performance (blinding flashes, jesus beam etc) and due to natural game balance collateral nerfs (zos taking the overall positive steps in creating more viability in the healer role for all classes and the later morrowind resource sustain overhaul). Many templars were upset that they lost a key identifying aspect of the class when shards and orbs were unionized, especially around a time when groups were going to be even more thirsty for sustain, it was absolutely a sting. And even then there were absolute advantages to each skill. Shards was much quicker and precise, allowing a templar healer to quickly give stamina to tanks or key group member in need but with the draw back that it was one syngery per shards cast, whereas orbs had a much broader application range in that you could give up the GCDs and get multiple orbs out for numerous group members with the disadvantage of have a much slower travel time.

There is a lot of history but it has nothing to do with necromancers, wardens or mythics.
    Edited by exeeter702 on February 23, 2021 12:12AM
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting insights, thanks for that!
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a list by Joy:
    Puncturing Strikes stunned targets and healed for more. Now no more stun (instead just a snare) and it heals for much less.
    Biting Jabs stunned targets and acted as quasi execute. Now it just snares and gives a generic buff available elsewhere.
    Focused Charge was fast, responsive, and managed to hit opponents without the need for unpurgable auto-snare. Now it’s slow, bugs out, and places a snare on my opponents even if they are using a specific ability that makes them immune.
    Spear Shards stunned an opponent, had a longer relative range to other skills before Battle Spirit, and gave me the conscious ability to provide stamina to my allies. Now it doesn’t stun, I do not have a choice what resource it restores, and every other class can replicate this once unique ability via the Undaunted Skill line. Also, this used to tick twice as fast and thus twice as many Burning Light procs
    Blazing Shield was once a functional defense shield for all templars as it was based off health, an attribute the game’s mechanics used to encourage us to invest in. Now it’s a suboptimal choice for all templars excepting niche builds that stack max health.
    The Balanced Warrior passive used to benefit all templar’s damage. Now it only does so for “stamplars”
    Eclipse use to always reflect just about everything in the game for 7.2 seconds and had no targeting restrictions. Now only one morph only reflects projectiles and it only lasts for 3.5 seconds.
    I use to have a skill called Blinding Flashes that gave melee opponents a unique miss chance debuff. It’s now gone.
    The Restoring Spirit passive used to restore magicka when casting a Dawn’s Wrath ability. Now it’s just a generic small cost reduction (that is subject to diminishing returns).
    The Remembrance ultimate morph used to provide my allies with damage reduction. Now it doesn’t.
    Breath of Life once had an additional heal and no targeting restrictions.
    Restoring Aura once provided allies (and the templar) a bonus to their stam recovery not available anywhere else in the game. Now it debuffs six enemies with a generic debuff that restores magicka to my allies if they attack specific target.
    Repentance once restored health and stamina to the templar and her allies from corpses. Right now it is the last of the mechanics in ESO that once reward successful smaller sized groups overcome disorganized masses. On the PTS, this is gone as it’s just a situational AoE heal and only the templar gains stamina.
    Cleansing ritual used to cleanse debuffs and incoming projectiles. Now, no more projectiles and it’s more expensive.
    Focused Healing passive once gave me a unique 30% healing buff to allies standing in my protective circles. Now this is called Mending and gives a 12% buff if I am standing in my protective circles. If I combine it with the new Sacred Ground Passive, I can get an additional 8%. So in total 10% less.
    Mending once passive gave me a higher chance to critically heal a low health target. This is now gone completely.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically it's always been underwhelming in comparison to other classes DD wise except for a short one-patch period where DOTs were much stronger and Templars were gods of both stacking and purging them.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a list by Joy:
    Puncturing Strikes stunned targets and healed for more. Now no more stun (instead just a snare) and it heals for much less.
    Biting Jabs stunned targets and acted as quasi execute. Now it just snares and gives a generic buff available elsewhere.
    Focused Charge was fast, responsive, and managed to hit opponents without the need for unpurgable auto-snare. Now it’s slow, bugs out, and places a snare on my opponents even if they are using a specific ability that makes them immune.
    Spear Shards stunned an opponent, had a longer relative range to other skills before Battle Spirit, and gave me the conscious ability to provide stamina to my allies. Now it doesn’t stun, I do not have a choice what resource it restores, and every other class can replicate this once unique ability via the Undaunted Skill line. Also, this used to tick twice as fast and thus twice as many Burning Light procs
    Blazing Shield was once a functional defense shield for all templars as it was based off health, an attribute the game’s mechanics used to encourage us to invest in. Now it’s a suboptimal choice for all templars excepting niche builds that stack max health.
    The Balanced Warrior passive used to benefit all templar’s damage. Now it only does so for “stamplars”
    Eclipse use to always reflect just about everything in the game for 7.2 seconds and had no targeting restrictions. Now only one morph only reflects projectiles and it only lasts for 3.5 seconds.
    I use to have a skill called Blinding Flashes that gave melee opponents a unique miss chance debuff. It’s now gone.
    The Restoring Spirit passive used to restore magicka when casting a Dawn’s Wrath ability. Now it’s just a generic small cost reduction (that is subject to diminishing returns).
    The Remembrance ultimate morph used to provide my allies with damage reduction. Now it doesn’t.
    Restoring Aura once provided allies (and the templar) a bonus to their stam recovery not available anywhere else in the game. Now it debuffs six enemies with a generic debuff that restores magicka to my allies if they attack specific target.
    Repentance once restored health and stamina to the templar and her allies from corpses. Right now it is the last of the mechanics in ESO that once reward successful smaller sized groups overcome disorganized masses. On the PTS, this is gone as it’s just a situational AoE heal and only the templar gains stamina.
    Cleansing ritual used to cleanse debuffs and incoming projectiles. Now, no more projectiles and it’s more expensive.
    Focused Healing passive once gave me a unique 30% healing buff to allies standing in my protective circles. Now this is called Mending and gives a 12% buff if I am standing in my protective circles. If I combine it with the new Sacred Ground Passive, I can get an additional 8%. So in total 10% less.
    Mending once passive gave me a higher chance to critically heal a low health target. This is now gone completely.

What's interesting is half of what i wrote there is obsolete and no longer relevant because the game has changed so much.

This wasn't written that long ago. Just shows me zos makes too many dramatic changes too quickly
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a list by Joy:

What's interesting is half of what i wrote there is obsolete and no longer relevant because the game has changed so much.

This wasn't written that long ago. Just shows me zos makes too many dramatic changes too quickly

I was just thinking the same thing while going through the list.

I returned to GW2 after 2 years of not playing and found the game extremely easy to get back into. My main class played basically the same and my alts over there were entirely familiar as well.

I come back to ESO after taking 6 months off and I have no idea wtf is going on with my characters. Except my Stamina ones, they seem to be stronger and stronger.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Found a list by Joy:

I was just thinking the same thing while going through the list.

I returned to GW2 after 2 years of not playing and found the game extremely easy to get back into. My main class played basically the same and my alts over there were entirely familiar as well.

I come back to ESO after taking 6 months off and I have no idea wtf is going on with my characters. Except my Stamina ones, they seem to be stronger and stronger.

Yah, I have a friend who was a former guild leader and played daily 2014-late 2019 then stepped away for a little over a year. He came back a few weeks ago and is blown away by how much it’s a different game.

I pointed him to the article about how Zeni will narrow their focus and have fewer new systems this year. Then I sent him the links about the upcoming CP changes, the ongoing testing in cyrodiil, and the “U29 Combat Preview”. It all paints a picture of a company that is incapable of slowing down and having a thoughtful, moderate, quality-focused path forward.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be God level Healer class
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be God level Healer class
    And now it's trash
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a list by Joy:

Wow, that is a lot! :frowning: So where does the “power creep” everyone talks about come from? CP? Sets? Other classes only?
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found a list by Joy:

Wow, that is a lot! :frowning: So where does the “power creep” everyone talks about come from? CP? Sets? Other classes only?

Proc sets, CP, and crit stacking
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tale you seek is a sad one but I respect your desire to understand your heritage.

There was time when Aedra walked more closely with mortals doomed to die in the mud and dirt of Tamriel. They were glorious and where they stepped light and life flourished. Some mortals they favored beyond others and they blessed them with power and ability beyond their fellow death-doomed sojourners. Those blessed could heal from the brink of death and any who attacked them were consumed in a fiery blast. These favored were called the templars.

But others looked upon such power with envy and coveted the blessings. They prayed to strange gods unknown to our fathers and the gods listened. Chief among these gods was Brian, the god of Wheels. Then the days of darkness came and those blessed by the Aedra found their strength weakening year by year, sometimes even month by month.

The faithful cried out to the Aedra to pity them, but either their ears were either deaf or their powers impotent. The strange gods seemed sovereign over the very building blocks of creation. And so the Templar faded to myth and legend. Those who now bear the name of Templar continue as a shadow and a nod to those who came before.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had to make way for the 2 P2W classes so they stole all the templar buffs.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tale you seek is a sad one but I respect your desire to understand your heritage.

There was time when Aedra walked more closely with mortals doomed to die in the mud and dirt of Tamriel. They were glorious and where they stepped light and life flourished. Some mortals they favored beyond others and they blessed them with power and ability beyond their fellow death-doomed sojourners. Those blessed could heal from the brink of death and any who attacked them were consumed in a fiery blast. These favored were called the templars.

But others looked upon such power with envy and coveted the blessings. They prayed to strange gods unknown to our fathers and the gods listened. Chief among these gods was Brian, the god of Wheels. Then the days of darkness came and those blessed by the Aedra found their strength weakening year by year, sometimes even month by month.

The faithful cried out to the Aedra to pity them, but either their ears were either deaf or their powers impotent. The strange gods seemed sovereign over the very building blocks of creation. And so the Templar faded to myth and legend. Those who now bear the name of Templar continue as a shadow and a nod to those who came before.
    Excellent description, I loved it!
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Objectively false
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Objectively false
    They did nerf templars hard to make way for warden healers.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Objectively false
    They did nerf templars hard to make way for warden healers.

No they did not.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Objectively false

Remember when major mending was taken away because having too much major mending uptime was considered too strong? Do you also remember which class in the very same patch got passive high uptime major mending? I´ll give you a few hints: The Update was called Morrowind, it introduced Wardens and it nerfed Templars.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Objectively false

Remember when major mending was taken away because having too much major mending uptime was considered too strong? Do you also remember which class in the very same patch got passive high uptime major mending? I´ll give you a few hints: The Update was called Morrowind, it introduced Wardens and it nerfed Templars.

I dont want to repeat myself really but you really need to grasp the context behind that change as it is far more involved then the manner of which you are reducing it by.

Losing major mending was a nerf. There is no disputing that. But that was explicitly a nerf to healing throughput for which zos felt templar did not need. Hps was already more than enough anyways for most trial groups at the time. And even then, with the other changes given to the other healers, hps was roughly on par across them all.

It's not a coincidence that major mending is not available to the classes that have on demand smart target burst heals. And is available to the two classes that do not, dk (cauterize and obsidian require setup and preemptive action) and warden. Wardens healing design was specifically geared towards ramp up and placement and their entire kit functioned fundamentally different from templars in the healer role. To disregard the differences is disingenuous at best. Wardens major mending (which was nerfed as well mind you) was rewarded for actively healing low health targets on a class that lacks an oh *** button to heal people who are critically low on health. This is entirely based around healing attrition and nothing more.

Again, the powerful healing tools given to the other 3 classes occurred well before morrowind was even officially announced, and it's verycclear to those who payed attention during that time, of the various changes at the foundational level happening to the game even up to the sustain nerfs with morrowind, that templars losing major mending was an isolated nerf to bring HPS between the classes more in line with one another.

Zos clearly did not feel having a single class exclusively viable in the healing role was healthy for the game. Most of the healing nerfs to templar were collateral and were not intrinsically tied to the effectiveness of the warden healer.
    Edited by exeeter702 on March 2, 2021 11:57PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One nerf I may have missed above was to stamplars. Ritual of Retribution used to hurt foes and heal allies. Now it only hurts foes. That nerf caused me to retire my one stamplar.

I painfully recall each of the nerfs that have been mentioned above. :(

I can think of only one buff during the Templar's decline - and it was a welcome one: You no longer have to actually stand in your Channeled Focus to retain its Major Resolve buff.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo