The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

help me understand the fire staff obsession

• Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mystic Orb does not get buffed by either staff type, it deals exactly the same damage with an Inferno, Lightning or Frost Staff.

went at a dummy to do some testing, interesting that indeed shock staff does not boost orb damage, but the Biting Aura CP perk that boosts "aoe attacks" actually boost orb damage. Weird, are there in the game two different versions of what is classified as aoe? for one to be boosted by shock staff and one to be boosted by cp perk.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭
    i use a lightining staff on my sorcerer heavy attack build, with the sorcerer passive(+5% to your lightning dmg) and off balance from wall, it makes a perfect combo,

I think in dot magcro build lightining staff can be good too, as well templars in some cases.

The thing with the new CP 2.0, is that the offbalance passive that would increase 10% dmg while the effect was on, got removed. They should add something, so lightining staff is a option to a lot of builds like two handed is an option to dual weild, even DW doing more dmg, two handed have unique pros and cons
    Edited by Icaruzs on March 30, 2021 1:36PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    Mystic Orb does not get buffed by either staff type, it deals exactly the same damage with an Inferno, Lightning or Frost Staff.

went at a dummy to do some testing, interesting that indeed shock staff does not boost orb damage, but the Biting Aura CP perk that boosts "aoe attacks" actually boost orb damage. Weird, are there in the game two different versions of what is classified as aoe? for one to be boosted by shock staff and one to be boosted by cp perk.

Things are always mis-classified in this game. You never know what is actually going to work.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

Things are always mis-classified in this game. You never know what is actually going to work.

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature. 🤣

Honestly with Bethesda you get used to it, so instead of splitting atoms over what amount to 1-2K DPS gain/loss sometimes it’s just best to play the game. The difference between 45k and 46k dps is negligible at best, even more so at the top end of the spectrum where 95-96k really is meaningless. Honesty most of it is meaningless north of the 85k mark. You’re still skipping mechs at that point and should be able to complete every DPS execute phase in your sleep at that point provided your people actually learned the mechs at some point. (Looking at you vAS+2 core team!)
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scardan wrote: »
    Also, lightning stuff procs concussion = Minor Vulnerability for 4 seconds.
    So, debuff and 8% more dmg from all AoE, not only Unstable Wall.

So, fire for groups, lightning for solo?

Only if You're using ability from destro staff skill line. L:ight attacks do not proc status effects.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If You're using jabs as spammable daggers are better then staves anyway.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

yeah this sucks, what was in their mind for melee weapons to benefit from max magicka. What? i don't even remember this change being written with a reason
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference between 45k and 46k dps is negligible at best, even more so at the top end of the spectrum where 95-96k really is meaningless. Honesty most of it is meaningless north of the 85k mark. You’re still skipping mechs at that point and should be able to complete every DPS execute phase in your sleep at that point provided your people actually learned the mechs at some point. (Looking at you vAS+2 core team!)

there are dps checks at some point, like vSS HM last boss inside portal, where if you don't reach a specific minimum dps which is actually a high requirement, you won't be able to complete it. Also that "neligible" 1k dps will make the difference between one more ads phase or not, between one more portal phase or not, etc.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really obsession it's just more dmg single target.
    Most aoe skills deal less dmg than single target ones, so fire staff 8% is more infuencial than lighting staff 8%.
    Its simple really.
  • Bald_templar
    Bald_templar
    ✭✭✭
    everyone is desperate for fire staves, for myself as magplar even other magplars tell me to use fire staff even if i do sweeps as spammable.
    why? everything i do is aoe. Two aoe on the ground, sweeps spammable is aoe, ult, undaunted orb, everything is aoe.

fire staff would add 8% damage just to my light attacks, that's all. I prefer to rather choose 8% damage on everything except one thing.
    still everyone is obsessed to use fire staff on their front bar.

i do use fire staff backbar with elemental wall for the 20% bonus damage on burning, but i also extra get the 8% aoe damage when i switch to my shock front bar. Same applies to destro ult, extra morph bonus from fire and extra aoe bonus from shock.

is light attack damage with empower so decisive to just boost it with everything you can even if it means dropping boosts on whatever else you have?
    and now shock staff will be even less desired with Exploiter CP perk going away

It’s radiant destruction vs sweep. The results are similar. Also dw dagger is a thing this patch.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah this sucks, what was in their mind for melee weapons to benefit from max magicka. What? i don't even remember this change being written with a reason

It was written in the patch notes on the weapons passives.

"Twin Blade and Blunt: Reworked this passive to grant the following bonuses:

Axes now increases your Critical Damage and Healing Done by 2/4% per axe, rather than having a chance to apply a Bleed.

Daggers now grant 1.7/3.4% Critical Chance per dagger, rather than 2.5/5% Weapon Critical Chance.

Maces now grant 825/1650 Armor Penetration per mace, rather than ignoring 5/10% of the target’s Physical Resistance.

Swords now grant 71/142 Weapon Damage per sword, rather than increasing Damage Done by 3/6%."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7154038/#Comment_7154038
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The difference between 45k and 46k dps is negligible at best, even more so at the top end of the spectrum where 95-96k really is meaningless. Honesty most of it is meaningless north of the 85k mark. You’re still skipping mechs at that point and should be able to complete every DPS execute phase in your sleep at that point provided your people actually learned the mechs at some point. (Looking at you vAS+2 core team!)

there are dps checks at some point, like vSS HM last boss inside portal, where if you don't reach a specific minimum dps which is actually a high requirement, you won't be able to complete it. Also that "neligible" 1k dps will make the difference between one more ads phase or not, between one more portal phase or not, etc.

That specific example is overcome with group comp and smart gameplay. MagDK, Magcro and magblade all working in harmony downstairs is how you overcome that boss. We are stacking so many buffs that we more than exceed that 1K DPS loss and can flip it into a 10-12K DPS gain. I main a MagDK and run Zen’s which gives the group a 5% buff to all dots they apply, but I also buff their flame damage another 10% with engulfing flames and buff all other flame damage further because I apply guaranteed burning proc with burning embers. That increases the damage of their WOE plus their light attacks and flame enchants on their front bar. My Cro partner down there is wearing EC giving another 3% boost and remember it’s multiplicative. He’s also dropping that colossus for major vulnerability. He’s also running a DOT build and getting the full benefit of my Zen’s. The Magblade in our group is giving minor vulnerability and the real hero come execute time.

When we come back upstairs those same buffs apply to the rest of the group as well. Overall you will get more damage out of a properly optimized group by running a flame staff on your magplar and potentially by running vampires bane which is also a flame damage ability. You also may want that destro ulti on a flame staff as well because it’s also boosted a ton by the flame modifiers as well. The cleave damage from that when a MagDK can apply their dots properly cannot be overstated especially if your off tanks can properly stack adds where they belong. You no longer have to work so hard to focus those adds. Because they are stacked up fully debuffed and ready to die to cleave.

As I said 1K dps is entirely negligible at that point.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

i know the melee weapons passives changes, i wasn't talking about those. I talk about the melee weapons scaling damage from max magicka which doesn't have any logic.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »

i know the melee weapons passives changes, i wasn't talking about those. I talk about the melee weapons scaling damage from max magicka which doesn't have any logic.

Ooooh.... yeah, makes sense now. I think they still scale off the offensive stats you have... I think?
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Krayl
    Krayl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, you're talking about magic cats and lizards so I'm not sure what logic has to do with it. It is what it is.

The answer to your main question is that light attacks are a huge portion of your damage so boosting their damage by 8% is important.