The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How much do you parse now?

• Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90-100k
    Sju wrote: »
    Where's the option for "I don't parse because it doesn't actually matter"?

If you're into endgame PvE, it does matter as mentioned above.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    50-60k
    Raideen wrote: »
    I don't understand the importance of parsing on a target dummy for pure DPS, because that does not translate into how well you perform in trial or dungeon setting.

Raid dummy has just become the benchmark for comparing parses, and the buffs it gives are more comparable to what you would see in a raid. Tbh you could use the 3mil one for comparing, but you'd need for Everyone to use it for comparing parses and such

But this still does not translate how well one will do in a trial or raid.

Think of it this way, university grades doesn't translate how well one will do in an actual job but why do companies care about it so much when hiring new grads or interns? Because it is a concrete baseline or measurement of well they know their subject matter and how studious they are.

Same thing applies to parses. They show how well someone knows their rotation and the effort they spent on learning it. If a trial leader had to pick between two DPS, one with 90k and other with 60k without any other information. Which one do you think he'll pick?

Parses are also used as a way to brag to your friends who also parse :smiley:

And just like businesses worldwide who choose someone based on their "education" and not experience, they are often subject to fail.

Parsing means nothing, except as you pointed out "for bragging rights", which I personally feel is childish. No one likes a braggart.

EDIT: As far as who I would choose if I were setting up a raid? The person with experience. 110k DPS on a parse dummy will only ever be 110k DPS on a parse dummy. You can not even DPS 110 in a raid because "parsing" setups are different than setups used in raids, along with food.

I understand the concept that someone doing high numbers on a dummy has their rotation down, but I also understand that rotation goes out the window because of how much movement is required in ESO trials and vets.

I would rather see an in game calculation of someones DPS based on boss fights. Basically a collected average of your boss fight DPS, that could be broken down by encounter, by dungeon, by normal vs vet and overall. THAT would have real in game meaning.
    Edited by Raideen on January 24, 2021 5:16AM
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the importance of parsing on a target dummy for pure DPS, because that does not translate into how well you perform in trial or dungeon setting.

Raid dummy has just become the benchmark for comparing parses, and the buffs it gives are more comparable to what you would see in a raid. Tbh you could use the 3mil one for comparing, but you'd need for Everyone to use it for comparing parses and such

Think of it this way, university grades doesn't translate how well one will do in an actual job but why do companies care about it so much when hiring new grads or interns? Because it is a concrete baseline or measurement of well they know their subject matter and how studious they are.

Same thing applies to parses. They show how well someone knows their rotation and the effort they spent on learning it. If a trial leader had to pick between two DPS, one with 90k and other with 60k without any other information. Which one do you think he'll pick?

And just like businesses worldwide who choose someone based on their "education" and not experience, they are often subject to fail.

Parsing means nothing, except as you pointed out "for bragging rights", which I personally feel is childish. No one likes a braggart.

EDIT: As far as who I would choose if I were setting up a raid? The person with experience. 110k DPS on a parse dummy will only ever be 110k DPS on a parse dummy. You can not even DPS 110 in a raid because "parsing" setups are different than setups used in raids, along with food.

I understand the concept that someone doing high numbers on a dummy has their rotation down, but I also understand that rotation goes out the window because of how much movement is required in ESO trials and vets.

I would rather see an in game calculation of someones DPS based on boss fights. Basically a collected average of your boss fight DPS, that could be broken down by encounter, by dungeon, by normal vs vet and overall. THAT would have real in game meaning.

You are both right. I've seen many 100k+ dummy warriors constantly on the floor in raid, screaming for REZ. And also 50k experts who in actual raid end up doing even less and being carried. Later they brag about their achievements and link it to chat as often as they can.
    Dummy parse doesn't tell how well you will do in raid but that's the only benchmark we currently have. Some guilds ask for achievement screenshots but they dont show how you got them. This is why most guilds require both before the take you raiding.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    30-40k
    42k. 6kk dummy though. PUG dungeon crawlers like me are harsh people B) We kill bosses with bare hands.
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    Starlock wrote: »
    I don't "parse" - and this was the closest to "not applicable or doesn't give a darned."
    You could just choose not to vote. It's kinda obvious this poll wasn't aimed at casual players (for them parsing is irrelevant) or support role only players.
    Jaxious79 wrote: »
    So I always hear about people getting 100k on dummy. What do they get in dungeons? When I queue for random even at 20-25k on the boss I am always around 40-49% of the boss damage.

If people parse 100k on a dummy what are they actually doing during a real fight?
    Most of those 100k+ players don't even queue. Most are in 1 or more raid/dungeon guilds and go with pre-made groups.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    I don't parse on a raid target dummy. I use the Precursor factotum, but I only really use it to gauge the differences in gear for testing.
    Precursor dummy has less resistances than standard PvE enemies and most other dummies. Use any dummy other than precursor and raid dummy if you want to do that sort of testing. Especially if you are testing sets with penetration bonuses.
    Think of it this way, if you can't even do good dps against a target that doesn't move or fight back (in case of the raid dummy, this is a target that has been debuffed to oblivion, gives you plenty of buffs AND gives you resources periodically), how can you expect to do good dps in an actual fight?

Besides, a dps parse is just an entry level requirement for raiding guilds. Most serious/ organized raid guilds have a ranking system for players. To get higher ranks you need to provide logs of hard trial clears with you in whatever role you want to progress in. Logs show pretty much everything about how you performed in an actual fight so that is what serious/ organized raid guilds asks for, not dps parses.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Raegwyr
    Raegwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    Jaxious79 wrote: »
    So I always hear about people getting 100k on dummy. What do they get in dungeons? When I queue for random even at 20-25k on the boss I am always around 40-49% of the boss damage.

If people parse 100k on a dummy what are they actually doing during a real fight?

Simple, we don't play in pugs
  • wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    A scary skeleton appeared in my house, by Ysgramor I smashed it with stick and red magic stuff pew pew he's dead now /strong
    10k on a 6mil ahahah /hidesinshame
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh when I was trying the trial scene only like 13-15k. The whole you need to throw in light attacks between each skill and glitch them to be shorter ruined any desire for end game pve. It feels so unnatural and is odd that a glitch was just accepted and turned into a normal thing.
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90-100k
    ]

The bragging part is just friendly banter. Even as an adult, it is fun to be "childish" sometimes.

Regarding in game boss calculations, we have esologs.com for that. In the optimized groups it is quite common for each dps to hit around 70k to 100k dps which is what the trial dummy is trying to replicate.

For example loke HM in vSShttps://www.esologs.com/reports/Y7NQRLcFrMVgqjP6#fight=5&type=damage-done

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be a stupid question, but do you need an addon to check your parse? Because every now and then I beat up my Precursor just for fun, and I get a number in chat when the fight is over, but no screen showing all the details.
    PCNA
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90-100k
    @SilverBride
    Yes, all dummies will output in chat on your dps. In order to see the full detail of the parse you will need an add on called Combat Metrics. It is amazing, give it a try if you're on PC.
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    80-90k
    This may be a stupid question, but do you need an addon to check your parse? Because every now and then I beat up my Precursor just for fun, and I get a number in chat when the fight is over, but no screen showing all the details.

Combat Metrics
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SilverBride
    Yes, all dummies will output in chat on your dps. In order to see the full detail of the parse you will need an add on called Combat Metrics. It is amazing, give it a try if you're on PC.

nukk3r wrote: »

Combat Metrics

Thanks.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 24, 2021 4:23PM
    PCNA
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40-50k
    My best char parses at around 50K, with the following caveats:

1. I parse in what I regularly play in. I know players do what I call "cheesing" your parse by running sets that you wouldn't ordinarily run in day-to-day gaming (Nobody I know uses Siroria + Spell Strat combo in the ordinary course of gaming), but I won't do that.

2. I rarely play DPS, so I don't have my rotation perfected. Usually, I play healer or tank.

3. The last time I hit my 50K mark, I wasn't being too meticulous about popping my ultimate immediately when I had it, so I'm sure I'm losing DPS that way too.

Bottom line is that I don't live in front of a DPS parse dummy, I like to spend my time actually playing the game. I like to use it as a bench mark and a tool for making apples-to-apples comparisons for abilities and testing certain proc conditions, but otherwise, I hate parse dummies.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    90-100k
    My best char parses at around 50K, with the following caveats:

1. I parse in what I regularly play in. I know players do what I call "cheesing" your parse by running sets that you wouldn't ordinarily run in day-to-day gaming (Nobody I know uses Siroria + Spell Strat combo in the ordinary course of gaming), but I won't do that.

2. I rarely play DPS, so I don't have my rotation perfected. Usually, I play healer or tank.

3. The last time I hit my 50K mark, I wasn't being too meticulous about popping my ultimate immediately when I had it, so I'm sure I'm losing DPS that way too.

Bottom line is that I don't live in front of a DPS parse dummy, I like to spend my time actually playing the game. I like to use it as a bench mark and a tool for making apples-to-apples comparisons for abilities and testing certain proc conditions, but otherwise, I hate parse dummies.

But... Siroria is fun...pretty useful in the less mobile fights...
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    I don't parse on a raid target dummy. I use the Precursor factotum, but I only really use it to gauge the differences in gear for testing.

Your trial dummy parse isn't necessarily a measure of what your DPS will be in actual content. It's a measure of how well you can actually DPS.

If you do poor damage on the trial dummy where conditions are perfect, then you will also do poorly in dungeons and trials where conditions aren't perfect. The opposite is also true: doing well on the trial dummy translates into good damage in group content.

Edited by CrashTest on January 24, 2021 5:20PM
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    Kurat wrote: »

You are both right. I've seen many 100k+ dummy warriors constantly on the floor in raid, screaming for REZ. And also 50k experts who in actual raid end up doing even less and being carried. Later they brag about their achievements and link it to chat as often as they can.
    Dummy parse doesn't tell how well you will do in raid but that's the only benchmark we currently have. Some guilds ask for achievement screenshots but they dont show how you got them. This is why most guilds require both before the take you raiding.

As an endgame raider, the only scenario I've seen high parsers die a lot is in a progression group that's starting on a content they don't know, and everyone is dying while they all learn mechanics, but deaths stop happening after clears and mechanics become like instinct.

[snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on January 24, 2021 6:19PM
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    70-80k
    download combat metrics, and when you finish your parse type /cmx in the chat box. a screen will pop up with all the informations :)
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    <30k
    I play a tank so...

That is one thing - deeps players have an easy way to check how they're doing. Even if you don't have CMX, the vanilla basegame will spit out a DPS parse in the chat box once you're done. Healers and tanks really don't have dummies to practice on. I know some people try to use vAS as a metric for themselves, but that also doesn't test things like how well you group things or your HPS on multiple targets. Really the only way we can find out if we're doing a good job in support roles is to go for the content with a group.

And then the impostor syndrome sets in: if it's an easy clear, it's because you have good DPS carrying you. If is goes badly, it's because the tank/healer wasn't doing their job well. There really aren't many "good job!" mechanic for support roles.

It's one of the reasons why I'm really proud of my vMoL clear, since the tanks both need to be on point for the twins so that means I did my job right. That fight comes down to the tanks.
  • TaffyIX
    TaffyIX
    ✭✭✭
    60-70k
    I generally main heal, and only casually dabble in dps on my numerous alts. As such I don't really have a horse in this race, however that being said, this is a very insightful thread. 👍
    Breton Templar
    Daggerfall Covenant
    EU Megaserver
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    80-90k
    Since recently.
    I do 81-84, depending on my success with weaving and my cristal procs (magicka sorcerer)

Not stellar and still room for improvement, I know, but I'm quite happy with that DPS.
    Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, it went a long way.

Edited by preevious on January 24, 2021 8:49PM
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <30k
    Im a tank though
    Awake, but at what cost
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    80-90k
    Mostly around 80-90k with my main toons (stamplar 90k, stamcro 82k, stam warden 80k).

My magicka toons are around 65-75k.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <30k
    LashanW wrote: »
    Starlock wrote: »
    I don't "parse" - and this was the closest to "not applicable or doesn't give a darned."
    You could just choose not to vote. It's kinda obvious this poll wasn't aimed at casual players (for them parsing is irrelevant) or support role only players.

I'm not a casual player.

I'm starting to become one, though, due to various problems I have with the game and playing a lot less.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have given up on trying to determine this. As any rotation that includes any LA, HA, or Skills are problematic as more often then not as somethings just do not fire off when you activate them. Delays or just never firing is a big problem.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <30k
    I'm an embarrasment to the 810CP DD community :# which is why I rarely do any group activities
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    My best parse was 102.7k, last month.

Khajiit Stamsorc, 2H/bow. Domihaus, Relequen/AY, Maelstrom Bow. 3 Infused jewelry.

I don't even play DD anymore these days. I transitioned to main tank in January last year (on the same character), I got TTT a week ago as off-tank, and we started progressing on IR, off-tank again.

I still DD from time to time when we already have a tank for dungeon runs. But one of our main tanks recently quit eso so I don't really have that many opportunities to DD anymore.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/prSDmujerWY

80 k to atro.

50 k to 3 kk dumy.

But i usually go in real builds,not this dummy only funny sport like play thingth.

In real build 75+-k.

Do not parse on atro it do not show anything. I test on 3 kk dummy just to train and test.

21 kk atro is like funny game itself, it do not show anything.

In raid last time top 3 DPS with 70+ were 3 HA in our raid and what ?

With good DDs we are not top, not bottom, just a middle DPS. But we can do all on our own.

But all of us have less on 21 kk dummy.

Do not mix real fight and some funny mini atro game ;)

And have fun.

Atro only promote one side of the game dead META of 2017 year.

Due to META hard promotion other builds can not play effectively.

That is all it is about.

Builds with good sustain gain nothing on atro, so you can use other sets and get better numbers. LA users can gain good sustain by just more regens, but they do not want. They want to have reason to "not to have perfect conditions", that other people must with out any reason do for them (i do not know why), to play dead in raids and dunguans may be ? It is more effective tactics as i see to lay on ground because : "Others do not provide them something"

Oh wait - META is the most efective tactics right ? Now i get it ;)
    Edited by AyaDark on January 25, 2021 11:49AM
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100-110k
    AyaDark wrote: »

Do not parse on atro it do not show anything. I test on 3 kk dummy just to train and test.

21 kk atro is like funny game itself, it do not show anything.

Yes. Parsing on the Iron Atronach isn't like a real raid situation. And being good at parsing doesn't mean you're good in real trial situation. But the opposite is true. If you can maintain dps while maintaining awareness, you can also do it on a dummy.

I know some people will "cheese" by using a build they wouldn't bring in raid, but most people I know parse with their single target dps build, they just change food for a more accurate sustain.

Practice makes perfect, and the dummy is a very convenient way to practice your rotation. Once your rotation is muscle memory, you can use your brain resources for awareness and playing the mechanics.

Many people, when they start doing trials, are either too focused on parsing and die, or too focused on surviving and have poor dps. You need to focus on the mechanics, and do dps without thinking about it, that's when parsing on the dummy comes in.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH