Maintenance for the week of May 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 29

Where is all the Hype? Netflix Reportedly Developing Elder Scrolls Show

  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    lardvader wrote: »
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.

    I thought Prince of Persia was a good film as well. Though perhaps I'm bias, because I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal. Who would make an excellent casting choice for Darien Gautier I should add. The actor also has a history of doing movies for Netflix as well. ^^

    I was thinking about casting last night. Gwendoline Christie might make a good Lyris, she's pretty big or they could supersize Xena and I reckon she'd make an excellent Lyris. Abnur would have to play himself. I'm not sure about the others. I'm sure Henry Cavill would get a part, in a bath or not or both.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There better be a Fishmas Khajiit in this show!

    In an unrelated matter the agent of this one can usually be contacted via The Rosy Lion.

    This one is also available for guest apperances at house parties, shop openings and ship launches. Reasonable rates. No shaking paws. Drinks, food and transport to be provided.

    Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

    Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    lardvader wrote: »
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.

    I thought Prince of Persia was a good film as well. Though perhaps I'm bias, because I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal. Who would make an excellent casting choice for Darien Gautier I should add. The actor also has a history of doing movies for Netflix as well. ^^

    I was thinking about casting last night. Gwendoline Christie might make a good Lyris, she's pretty big or they could supersize Xena and I reckon she'd make an excellent Lyris. Abnur would have to play himself. I'm not sure about the others. I'm sure Henry Cavill would get a part, in a bath or not or both.

    I would love to see Alfred Molina play Abnur Tharn. They would have to do considerable changes to his appearance to make it work - but I would watch the show for that alone. Gwendoline Christie would also be an excellent choice for Lyris. So I like how you think. Lucie Lawless (if that's who you mean when you say Xena) might also be interesting. She's an underrated actress.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 29, 2020 10:33PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's Live Action there's a good chance it'll be just, really horrible to watch. If only they'd just have Blur make a feature film. The way they made Khamira was SO ADORABLE.
    CP1,600+ Master Explorer - AvA Legate - Console Peasant
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or a more fleshed out adaptation of the 2920: The Last Year of the First Era books.

    This is actually one of the most sound ideas I've seen regarding how to approach an adaptation. I would watch the hell out of a tv show that adapted those lore books.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    Or a more fleshed out adaptation of the 2920: The Last Year of the First Era books.

    This is actually one of the most sound ideas I've seen regarding how to approach an adaptation. I would watch the hell out of a tv show that adapted those lore books.

    Probably too niche to entice the fanbase...
    It will probably be a movie about the Skyrim Civil war and the Dragonborn.

    I mean, come on. Rule number one in entertainment: If you can do Dragons, you do Dragons!

    And also imagine the visuals: Majestic Mountains, Icy Tundra, Deep Forests ruric Cities and then, as a finale, Sovngarde!
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on December 30, 2020 9:20AM
    • I read thoroughly
    • I think hard
    • I write cautiously
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, come on. Rule number one in entertainment: If you can do Dragons, you do Dragons!
    Dragons, the exploding helicopters of fantasy settings.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m very hyped elder scrolls is my favourite franchise 🙂
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    lardvader wrote: »
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.

    I thought Prince of Persia was a good film as well. Though perhaps I'm bias, because I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal. Who would make an excellent casting choice for Darien Gautier I should add. The actor also has a history of doing movies for Netflix as well. ^^

    I was thinking about casting last night. Gwendoline Christie might make a good Lyris, she's pretty big or they could supersize Xena and I reckon she'd make an excellent Lyris. Abnur would have to play himself. I'm not sure about the others. I'm sure Henry Cavill would get a part, in a bath or not or both.

    Henry Cavill could just play Pelinal Whitestrake in a biopic.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Jeremy wrote: »
    lardvader wrote: »
    Well based on all other games to movie adaptations it's probably going to be pretty meh. Only Silent Hill pulled it off imo.

    I thought Prince of Persia was a good film as well. Though perhaps I'm bias, because I'm a big fan of Gyllenhaal. Who would make an excellent casting choice for Darien Gautier I should add. The actor also has a history of doing movies for Netflix as well. ^^

    I was thinking about casting last night. Gwendoline Christie might make a good Lyris, she's pretty big or they could supersize Xena and I reckon she'd make an excellent Lyris. Abnur would have to play himself. I'm not sure about the others. I'm sure Henry Cavill would get a part, in a bath or not or both.

    Henry Cavill could just play Pelinal Whitestrake in a biopic.

    I can also see him doing a good job as Tiber Septim, if that's the story they want to tell.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a risky adventure. If they screw it up....ouch....TES franchise can stay dormant another 10 years.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping they go more Morrowind and Elsweyr than Skyrim but that's perhaps because we've just had Western Skyrim in ESO.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    Or a more fleshed out adaptation of the 2920: The Last Year of the First Era books.

    This is actually one of the most sound ideas I've seen regarding how to approach an adaptation. I would watch the hell out of a tv show that adapted those lore books.

    Probably too niche to entice the fanbase...

    What would make it actually good and what would attract the most people to watch it are not necessarily the same questions.
    I'm specifically interested in what would make it good.

    The First Era books have a juicy plot, a solid structure that could be easily recreated within a tv series, sympathetic and/or interesting characters, and it is lore that's recognizable/familiar to most fans without having been beaten to death within the games.

    I don't think it's likely that they would choose to do it that way, but that's a shame. It's widely believed that Witcher was as good as it was precisely because it leaned on the structure of the books more than the game itself. The books within the game are the closest thing that the Elder Scrolls franchise has.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nahh.. not a Netflix fan here. Cancelled a while ago.. and may I add, The Witcher show on Netflix was and is terrible! Sorry.. that is not Yennefer or Triss; no where near what they are supposed to look like!!! Sorry, still venting my frustration with that show. Anyways, for an Elders Scroll movie, hasn't that been around the talks for many years now; even when WoW movie was in development? I had been wondering what the heck happened with development of an TES movie. It would be cool to finally see; however, I would rather see it (or additional) as a season series as the Witcher is (and hoping it would be much, much better than the Witcher. Ha ha)
  • Meesha1170
    Meesha1170
    ✭✭✭✭
    Less people are hyped because of the source. We Got This Covered is extremely unreliable. If the trades were rumoring than it would be worth considering.

    Also, Todd Howard has gone on record multiple times saying he would only approve of a show or movie if real talent was behind making it so if it does actually come to fruition it would be something to be excited about.
  • Khajiitihaswares
    Khajiitihaswares
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt this series happening during filming the cameras kept crashing and actor for the dragon kept endlessly screeching causing other actors to crash to desktop. Maybe if director focus’ don bug fixes instead of more script to hide the flaws.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aside from the whole thing being only a rumour: I'm really sceptical. In short: Mass appeal. So it will probably be some really mainstream (read: rather boring, compared to other things TES lore offers) story, probably something around Skyrim (dragons and vikings always sell), and the mer (also the Dunmer) will probably meet normal human beauty standards, and will only be rare side characters. I've seen comparisons to Game of Thrones and The Witcher - and exactly that's what is worrying me. At worst, it's just one of these modern standard fantasy shows with a bit of TES thrown in: sex scene here, dragons there, a beheading, another sex scene, another dragon fight, some sewered limbs - and that's it. Action, sex, violence. For me, that is not what makes TES interesting (although, of course, the TES lore also includes these things - but it's not what makes TES special for me).

    But of course I could be wrong and it could become something really creative and unusual - I'll give it a chance. I'm just not very optimistic so far.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need another successful solo RPG again before bringing out a show. Skyrim was yonks ago and ESO hasn't really hyped the franchise, has it?
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    Probably an hour of loadscreens

    I was soooo going to make the same joke!!! I've got to be faster with replying
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elder scrolls is not a character driven series. You are a blank canvas and are experiencing the world as whatever you roleplay.

    Therefore while it would be exciting to see the world of Tamriel, it would not be particular exciting to see its inhabitants.

    When they developed the Witcher series, it is a collection of stories about characters. Geralt, Yennifer, Triss, Dandelion, etc.

    So while it has the potential to be good. It also has the tough job of making people care about its characters and its stories.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    Elder scrolls is not a character driven series. You are a blank canvas and are experiencing the world as whatever you roleplay.
    Therefore while it would be exciting to see the world of Tamriel, it would not be particular exciting to see its inhabitants.
    When they developed the Witcher series, it is a collection of stories about characters. Geralt, Yennifer, Triss, Dandelion, etc.
    So while it has the potential to be good. It also has the tough job of making people care about its characters and its stories.

    Considering all the in-game books, there's so much background lore that would make a great story. Or maybe all that what happened during and after the Red Year. I do see a lot of story potential - but I'm afraid it's too complex or even too obscure for a mainstream audience.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get hyped when I see more info about it. The chances of it being done well are low, so I'll be curious to get details as they work on it. Probably a ways out before its ready too.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    Or a more fleshed out adaptation of the 2920: The Last Year of the First Era books.

    This is actually one of the most sound ideas I've seen regarding how to approach an adaptation. I would watch the hell out of a tv show that adapted those lore books.

    Probably too niche to entice the fanbase...
    It will probably be a movie about the Skyrim Civil war and the Dragonborn.

    I mean, come on. Rule number one in entertainment: If you can do Dragons, you do Dragons!

    And also imagine the visuals: Majestic Mountains, Icy Tundra, Deep Forests ruric Cities and then, as a finale, Sovngarde!
    I guess an Skyrim like setting, vikings and dragons.
    If anything intelligent they does not make it out of the game, yes you can take inspiration from quests and add Easter eggs but make it an movie story
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of me sees the potential in the ES universe for virtually unlimited stories to be told. The other part of me remembers that movies based on video games have a fairly low success rate.
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be the cold slap of reality, but....
    • The article came from a clickbait site, notorious for *** articles, the article isn't real it is not happening.
    • Netflix doesn't have the right to make anything TES related, and it's murkey who actually dose, Amazon has rights to Fallout IP, but TES? Nope.
    • While Todd Howard is open to Film or series, he's (and I'm paraphrasing here) not going to allow (sorry Matt) Hollywood to turn it into the Mythica series.
    • Say what you will about the Netflix series of the Witcher, it got a metric ton of people to read the books and say ..."Hey this is much better than the series"

    Edited by Klad on January 4, 2021 10:34PM
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will be a fail because PG13 and other politically correct nonsense.
    Edited by Slyclone on January 4, 2021 11:01PM
    That's it, that's all.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slyclone wrote: »
    This will be a fail because PG13 and other politically correct nonsense.

    Well, can't say you're wrong. So many projects have been absolutely destroyed already because the creators got so worried about sending the right political message that they forgot what the story was. Not like they're learning from their mistakes either because many of them respond to the inevitable criticism with "you only hated it because you hate women (or whatever other category fits)".

    But every once in a while, one of them surprises us by giving the middle finger to the self-righteous Twitter outrage mafia. Whatever the project is, if they can do that then they will have taken a big step toward making something worthwhile. It would only be the first step though. There are lots of other ways it could go downhill.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slyclone wrote: »
    This will be a fail because PG13 and other politically correct nonsense.

    You mean diversity? Or what? If that's the case, it's a funny thing to complain about actually, as the TES series might be the most diverse that is around.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    I have the opposite of "hyped" feeling towards Netflix degradation of The Elder Scrolls.
Sign In or Register to comment.