The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Heavy Armor in ESO

lyx10679
lyx10679
There have been several threads in the past that vaguely "discuss" the concept of 5/1/1 or 5/2 Heavy Armor distribution in PvE or PvP. Many or all have definitively stated that this setup is solely reserved for PvE tanks and PvP survival. While I have read varying comments on past threads that having this setup will help with the 18K~20K health for PvE, I personally do not have any opposing viewpoints to contradict these theories. This discussion is to nurture a friendly discussion on how you view heavy armor and its role in your gameplay.
Platform: PC/NA - CP 500+

Character Roster:
Ebonheart Pact: Kelvinia Telvanni - Dunmer Mag DK, Arenwe Direnni - Altmer Magsorc
Aldmeri Dominion: Shalana-el-Kemel - Khajit Stamblade, Ithanarth Woodwalker - Bosmer Stam Warden
Daggerfall Covenant: Reman Cyrolius Septim - Imperial Stamplar, Marcel Motierre - Breton Mag Necromancer
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are wearing heavy and the main resource you want buffed is health you go 6 heavy or 7

If you want any other resource increased its 5/1/1

If you want better stats its 5/2 or 5/1/1 depending on which stats you're looking for/ cost reduction.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see heavy armor as being for defense so the only reason I would use more than one piece on a damage dealer is if it's not part of a crafted set that I can make light or medium from. That's just my personal
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The passives pretty much only boost survival which is why you only see it used for when people need extra health, resistances, and a little boost to sustain when hit. When people go 5 or more its for the healing received and heavy attack resource restore boosts. As you can well guess Healers and DPS don't need the 5 piece bonuses as much, which is why you see 5/2 and 5/1/1 where the 5 pieces are either light or medium depending on the build.

I personally run 5+ light and 1-2 pieces of heavy armor depending on what content I'm going into. As a magDK I'm constantly fighting against the high cost of its magicka abilities, which is why I primarily focus on light armor, but in PVP you'll see me wearing 2 pieces of heavy armor over 1 for the added health boost.
    Edited by Vevvev on December 26, 2020 9:27PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lyx10679 wrote: »
    There have been several threads in the past that vaguely "discuss" the concept of 5/1/1 or 5/2 Heavy Armor distribution in PvE or PvP. Many or all have definitively stated that this setup is solely reserved for PvE tanks and PvP survival.

Exactly this. I'm sure someone could throw together a 5+ piece heavy armor build that could squeeze out enough dps to get through 4 man content...slowly. But no one who is serious about their dps would ever do such a thing. You lose far too much damage by not taking the respective light or medium armor passives to ever do good dps without them.
  • lyx10679
    lyx10679
    Let's say you use the 5/2 setup where 5 is your main armor line and 2 is heavy. Where do you determine to use the heavy armor? Do you follow the "monster set" allocation head/shoulder or would you determine based on armor stats (i.e. chest then shoulder/leg/head)? Do you have a preference?
    Platform: PC/NA - CP 500+

Character Roster:
    Ebonheart Pact: Kelvinia Telvanni - Dunmer Mag DK, Arenwe Direnni - Altmer Magsorc
    Aldmeri Dominion: Shalana-el-Kemel - Khajit Stamblade, Ithanarth Woodwalker - Bosmer Stam Warden
    Daggerfall Covenant: Reman Cyrolius Septim - Imperial Stamplar, Marcel Motierre - Breton Mag Necromancer
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lyx10679 wrote: »
    There have been several threads in the past that vaguely "discuss" the concept of 5/1/1 or 5/2 Heavy Armor distribution in PvE or PvP. Many or all have definitively stated that this setup is solely reserved for PvE tanks and PvP survival.

The problem of Heavy Armor is that it is more or less mandatory for PvP in 9/10 cases. It's no longer a survivability issue but a "Do you want to do PvP or not"- issue. Most PvP guilds I know consist of less than 20% REAL DDs (those 14k health 90k DPS guys) for a reason, whereas they could flood the PvE world with tanks and healers.

It has always been a problem, but it has even become worse with the introduction of the Malacath ring.
    Edited by Thraben on December 30, 2020 4:14PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5/1/1 is simply a preference of mine.
    I play dunmer and doubble dipping the stat bonus from undaunted with the mag and stam racial bonus is great, not to mention the boost to health and general survive.

Where it does hurt is crit and recovery, whenever I make a new character I do some quick calculations and from what I remember 7 vs 511 always work out very numerically close
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade