The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodiil Solo Healer build (edit: a.k.a. the Tarzan Healer Build)

Thraben
Thraben
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi!

Contrary to popular opinion, solo healing is NOT dead in Cyrodiil with the most recent patch.
Since It was requested multiple times, I will briefly sketch how you can still have fun as an ungrouped healer in Cyrodiil.

General: Neither synergies nor non-smart heals (i.e. directed single target heals) seem to be affected by the "cross-healing patch". The following build uses this and also applies a rather unused kind of healing, i.e. damage transfer.

Step 1: Pick a Stamina Warden

Step 2: Use the following healing rotation: Firstly, activate the Psijic Skill Mend Wounds. Secondly, use Nature's Embrace on everyone in need. Thirdly, if more healing is required, activate "Guard" on the target and use a heavy attack until the target is healed up. Do not forget to have additional HoTs like vigor on yourself while doing it.

Step 3: Equip Chokethorn as your monster set. It is considered a channeled, targeted heal, and therefore it will help you heal stuff.

Step 4: Equip the set "Vanguard's Challenge", and integrate the skill "Inner Beast" into your healing rotation. Combined with Step 2, one attacker should now have some real troubles to get the allied player down. Since you have multiple HoTs on yourself, you are still no pushover.

Step 5: If you want, you can integrate synergies. The most important one is the Blood Altar.

Step 6: Add some offensive skills. SubAssault e.g. will automatically put pressure on possible attackers, as will a Dawnbreaker to the face. Make sure that you don't appear like a passive healer, speed and aggressiveness are required to make it work.

Step 7: Now you might need an additional way to restore Magicka. The Mages Guild skill equilibrium seems to be the most obvious choice, but there are multiple ways to solve the problem.

Step 8: Normally, other players don't know what Vanguard's Challenge is. But just in case that they do, it might be wise to have a defensive Ultimate on your backbar, like the Psijic or sword and shield one. Alternatively, Meridia's Blessed Armor might also save your life. Also, don't forget to use shimmering shield to protect you from projectiles.

How to practice it:

You can practice the basic healing rotation not only in Cyrodiil, but also in PvE: Your Warden Bear is a perfect target. When you get more experienced in Cyro, you will notice that your aim becomes better - but that is not enough: Sometimes you have to decide who will die and who will not. Do not waste time on players who don't do any damage. The last thing you want is being targeted first just because the healed target is not dangerous enough.

Benefits:
+ Stamina Wardens who can effectively use Nature's Embrace are generally stronger players even if they don't use the skill in their daily setup. You will gain a lot of situational awareness mediocre StamWardens lack.
+ You are still a StamWarden: The most attractive class in medium scale and small scale PvP, so you are still quite flexible after changing some skills and sets. You can still kill stuff, too.

Problems:
- It is hard. Much harder than usual zerg surfing.
- AoE damage. Since you have no AoE healing, concentrate on players that make a difference
- Multiple attackers
Edited by Thraben on November 18, 2020 11:22PM
Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they implemented the new limit on group size to 12 and heals only working on group members?
    PC-NA
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you've described is an off-tank role, @Thraben, and not a healer role.

Asking a Warden player to be restricted to stamina (without Fungal Growth nor the Secluded Grove Ultimate -- while adding Guard and DPS skills) is not a healing role at all.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 17, 2020 6:30PM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Asking a Warden player to be restricted to stamina (without Fungal Growth nor the Secluded Grove Ultimate -- while adding Guard and DPS skills) is not a healing role at all.

Neither Fungal Growth nor Secluded Grove work when ungrouped. That being said, I didn't exclude the use of these skills. One should be aware of the fact, though, that they are only for self- healing purposes in that case, so there is no need to mention them at all.
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    Have they implemented the new limit on group size to 12 and heals only working on group members?

Yes. Which makes Nature's Embrace the best healing skill outside of a group (unless you wear harmony, then, of course, it's the Blood Altar).
    Edited by Thraben on November 17, 2020 7:11PM

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey for magicka issues you may want to look at the Prisoner's Rags set from Coldharbour, it gives magicka back while sprinting. I have used this set on my Stamden healer before, though im not sure how well it will work with Vanguard's Challenge.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Thraben, hopefully you don't mind the second ping. Does the light attack also work with Mend Wounds and can you use the heavy attack without Guard, or is that kind of a hard requirement? Trying to put together how it works since I've never heard the combo before (not doubting it, just very intrigued by this idea).

Either way, this does look a bit more promising. Once I'm able to actually play again, I'll see if I can scrounge up some ideas for other classes and resource types - thanks for restoring some optimism!
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil full of stamden off-tanks circumventing the world's dumbest rule change with their swingy vines would be very amusing.

I don't know how many healstick-wielders have a stamden standing around somewhere, but there's another double xp event coming in December...
    Edited by Faded on November 17, 2020 8:46PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I appreciate your efforts.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faded wrote: »
    Cyrodiil full of stamden off-tanks circumventing the world's dumbest rule change with their swingy vines would be very amusing.

can we call it the Tarzan healer build?
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And singing a parody of Chandelier of some sort.
    Edited by Sephyr on November 17, 2020 9:57PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blood Altar is hilarious simply because the minor lifesteal effect also covers a big area in "standing-in-stupid red". I used to throw it down during fights on an outpost porch just to watch the enemy scatter.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Polar Wind is also a nice Burst Heal to allies outside of group, if you have decent HP.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:D
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    @Thraben, hopefully you don't mind the second ping. Does the light attack also work with Mend Wounds and can you use the heavy attack without Guard, or is that kind of a hard requirement?

Actually, Guard is only there if you are desperate. The skill is not cheap, and stamina is much more difficult to restore than magicka. The Light Attack works, but you might get Magicka problems this way, and the healing might not be sufficient in some cases.

Fittingly, the hint with
    Hey for magicka issues you may want to look at the Prisoner's Rags set from Coldharbour, it gives magicka back while sprinting. I have used this set on my Stamden healer before, though im not sure how well it will work with Vanguard's Challenge.

is also very good if you don't want to use blood magic. You need to be a speedy boi anyways to pull that off.

Tarzan healer build sounds awesome by the way :) I changed the headline following your suggestion.

Edited by Thraben on November 17, 2020 11:43PM

• Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Tarzan healer build sounds awesome by the way :) I changed the headline following your suggestion.

Perfect! Ill probably run some variation of this build on the semi-rare occasions I go solo healing.

Im sitting here, trying to wrack my brain for all the things I noticed regarding sets and the group healing restrictions during the tests.

If I remember correctly, Coldharbour's Favorite could heal outside of group even though it cannot proc on them, they just have to be standing in its circle when the heal hits. If you are ungrouped then the heal effect will always drop on you, so you have some control over it (assuming that im remembering correctly)

The only other sets I can think of right at the moment are some of the ones that grant a buff to someone activating one of your synergies (Lunar Bastion and Kyne's Wind), but im pretty sure most of those are magicka based and I am unsure if it can affect non grouped players.

EDIT: Has anyone ever checked to see if the Blood Moon set effects the healing done by the Psijiic heal?
    Edited by Greasytengu on November 18, 2020 12:18AM
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

Perfect! Ill probably run some variation of this build on the semi-rare occasions I go solo healing.

Im sitting here, trying to wrack my brain for all the things I noticed regarding sets and the group healing restrictions during the tests.

If I remember correctly, Coldharbour's Favorite could heal outside of group even though it cannot proc on them, they just have to be standing in its circle when the heal hits. If you are ungrouped then the heal effect will always drop on you, so you have some control over it (assuming that im remembering correctly)

The only other sets I can think of right at the moment are some of the ones that grant a buff to someone activating one of your synergies (Lunar Bastion and Kyne's Wind), but im pretty sure most of those are magicka based and I am unsure if it can affect non grouped players.

EDIT: Has anyone ever checked to see if the Blood Moon set effects the healing done by the Psijiic heal?

Coldharbor DID work in Test week five, as did Chokethorn. My test results yesterday were inconclusive, unfortunately - chokethorn strangely targeted myself in 9/10 cases, and I couldn't see Coldharbor working on PuGs once. Might be just a streak of bad luck though.

We need more testing.

• Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, after some additional tests, I can confirm that Chokethorn still works, whereas Coldharbor's Favourite does probably not.

As this significantly improves the build, I will add this information.
    Edited by Thraben on November 18, 2020 11:19PM

• Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for testing that out. Ill have to bribe some of my guildies into helping me rule out some things, then I can report back :3
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Beaverton
    Beaverton
    ✭✭✭

In Pvp land, what exactly do you mean by an "off tank role?"
    Chook (fill in the blank) or Chookana (likewise): I learn more by dying so teach me some more!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaverton wrote: »

In Pvp land, what exactly do you mean by an "off tank role?"

In PvP land, what exactly is a solo healer?
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

In PvP land, what exactly is a solo healer?

It's a healer who does want to decide him- or herself where s/he is fighting next, but still wants to retain the option to heal others.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how you made something work in such an environment, here's an awesome
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • aslancik12
    aslancik12
    ✭✭
    that heal not enough even for a solo healer.i m still playing healer with 6 class in pvp and there is no way to make something more effective than a magicka healer.solo or small-scale.if yo uwant to heal choose a heal class.stamina heal not enough for keep someone alive.

maybe funny to play but if you want to heal someone make it perfect :D
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aslancik12 wrote: »
    that heal not enough even for a solo healer.i m still playing healer with 6 class in pvp and there is no way to make something more effective than a magicka healer.solo or small-scale.if yo uwant to heal choose a heal class.stamina heal not enough for keep someone alive.

maybe funny to play but if you want to heal someone make it perfect :D

Actually, a StamWarden (not this build, of course, which is for ungrouped play) has a higher and more reliable HPS value in PvP whilst moving than any class but a MagTemplar, if you learn to use Coldharbour's Favourite correctly. However, it's not the class' HPS where it shines, but in emergency situations, where all your 6 magicka classes would fail miserably, i.e. multiple Negates and Stun Fields. The reason people (and I!) prefer Magicka healers are a) more good support sets and b) that it is much more beginner friendly to just spam Radiant Regen. Things are different in PvE, though, of course, where positional healing skills like Budding Seeds work much better.

That being said, since you are the great expert, I am most certain that you can easily tell me why I picked a StamWarden and not a MagWarden for this particular build :) Also, I said multiple times that you cannot save everyone with it. It's just a way to cope with the situation if the game leaves you with no other choice.
    Edited by Thraben on November 24, 2020 6:25PM