The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dungeons & ESO

Rasoma
Rasoma
✭✭✭
Ok I have been in and out of ESO for years (since beta) but I've never actually done the grouped dungeons as I instead was out there enjoying the vast story quests overland.

Anyway, I've come back after a break and spell in FFXIV where grouped dungeons is forced upon you whether you want them or not. In FFXIV the dungeons were highly mechanic driven and unless you knew exactly what to do and what what point you could cause a wipe. What I am wondering is are dungeons in ESO the same as that or are they a bit more - newbie friendly?

I just hit 10 on a Templar that I am only advancing using a restoration staff so they are a decent healer but can pack a punch also with some aedric spear skills.

What I do not want to do is hit the queue button and be thrown into something where I do not have a clue what is going on and due to that it becomes disaster.
@Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO dungeons have a wide range from "just kill the boss" to necessary mechanics. Generally speaking, you can see the difficulty increase if you follow the dungeons in the order they unlock in the Groupfinder for leveling characters.

My recommendation for new dungeon players is to use the "Specific Dungeon" queues to practice on the easier dungeons then work your way up as you feel more confident in your role. The early dungeons are very forgiving - though you might get group members who want to race ahead. DLC dungeons are much less so.

Another option is to read up/watch videos on the dungeon mechanics.

This guide is written for last year's Undaunted Event, but it might be helpful. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507330/how-to-have-fun-and-make-friends-while-stress-testing-the-undaunted-celebration-jan-9-13th/p1
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO dungeons have a wide range from "just kill the boss" to necessary mechanics. Generally speaking, you can see the difficulty increase if you follow the dungeons in the order they unlock in the Groupfinder for leveling characters.

My recommendation for new dungeon players is to use the "Specific Dungeon" queues to practice on the easier dungeons then work your way up as you feel more confident in your role. The early dungeons are very forgiving - though you might get group members who want to race ahead. DLC dungeons are much less so.

Another option is to read up/watch videos on the dungeon mechanics.

This guide is written for last year's Undaunted Event, but it might be helpful. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/507330/how-to-have-fun-and-make-friends-while-stress-testing-the-undaunted-celebration-jan-9-13th/p1

Random off-topic, but I've really got to remember where I bookmark this. I was about to reply with your thread around the time the topic was posted and I couldn't find it for the life of me. :# Though I didn't remember that it was for the Undaunted Event! Now maybe I'll remember.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Rasoma wrote: »
    What I do not want to do is hit the queue button and be thrown into something where I do not have a clue what is going on and due to that it becomes disaster.

One of my two fully-playable characters -- not special-purpose, limited-use Alts -- is a High Elf Templar who is perhaps the most superb healer I have ever played in any MMORPG and I go back to EverQuest and Asheron's Call from January 2000.

Add to that her Aedric Spear offensive abilities with damage shield and great self-healing and, wow, a dual threat both defensive and offensive.

The only type of dungeon that has certain bosses with one-shot-kill mechanics and other things that require special knowledge of the boss -- or you will wipe -- are the highest level dungeons and you can gain knowledge of those dungeons with special boss mechanics you need to know through such website as:

Fextralifeelderscrollsonline.wiki -- Fextralife.com. AlcastHQ is also good but enormously wordy and not very concisely written (gives you a case of the "Too Long, Didn't Read.")

Fextralife.com simply rates those dungeons as "HARD" and they do mean HARD!!! Unless you have knowledge of the special boss mechanics, and then instead of Hard they are Challenging. :smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Rasoma
    Rasoma
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the responses, as dungeons have unlocked I've noted them down and will research out the videos for peace of mind. It's nice that they drip feed the dungeons so you are not thrown into something massively complicated.
    @Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the responses, as dungeons have unlocked I've noted them down and will research out the videos for peace of mind. It's nice that they drip feed the dungeons so you are not thrown into something massively complicated.

Have fun! If it helps ease your mind, a lot of groups are happy to explain mechanics if you have questions. Most people are happy to explain mechanics to a willing player since it makes the whole run easier. :smiley:
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are healer it's easy for you. They dont need to even know or do mechanics if there even is any. Its mostly taken care of by tank and dps. All you gotta do is heal them and throw spears. Dungeons dont really need a healer, you can just chill and get basically carried.
  • Kaizor88
    Kaizor88
    Soul Shriven

That's the point of the game .. get thrown into something .. be clueless and discover things by yourself .. this is what I call a REAL experience