The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Terrible experience with Support Team - is this normal?

mfcostacampos
mfcostacampos
✭✭✭
Hi everyone

I'm desperately trying to restart "Chasing Shadows", a quest in the main quest line, because I've messed something up.
Because it's part of the Main Quest, there's no option to Abandon it when you right click it in the journal (which in itself makes zero sense, but whatever...).

I contacted Support, to see if they'd be able to reset the quest for me in the back end / server side and explained my issue very clearly.
I have since had to explain the issue again THREE times as all the responses I get from the Support team are about either:
- How to reset the current question objective, which won't help, as I've already said I have to RESTART the quest
- How to Abandon quests in ESO, which won't help because this quest can't be Abandoned by right clicking it on the journal

I'm baffled by how much back and forth there's been with support. It's like they refuse to read my messages properly.

Does everyone else usually have this kind of experience with them or are they not usually this terrible?

Thanks!
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on October 20, 2020 12:30PM
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Support...

I believe there's a stereotype of people at support with a headphone on repeating "Try to restart your internet, try to restert your PC" and “I’ll forward your problem to the next available employee” while they play WoW on their screen. lol
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on October 20, 2020 10:59AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I've never had your experience. Support completely ignored the ticket I submitted.
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we can help, what exactly is messed up with the your quest that you have to reset it?
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably have some other quest that blocks this one. Like prologue quest that requires you to talk to Abnur Tharn or Sai Sahan.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone

I'm desperately trying to restart "Chasing Shadows", a quest in the main quest line, because I've messed something up.
    Because it's part of the Main Quest, there's no option to Abandon it when you right click it in the journal (which in itself makes zero sense, but whatever...).

I contacted Support, to see if they'd be able to reset the quest for me in the back end / server side and explained my issue very clearly.
    I have since had to explain the issue again THREE times as all the responses I get from the Support team are about either:
    - How to reset the current question objective, which won't help, as I've already said I have to RESTART the quest
    - How to Abandon quests in ESO, which won't help because this quest can't be Abandoned by right clicking it on the journal

I'm baffled by how much back and forth there's been with support. It's like they refuse to read my messages properly.

Does everyone else usually have this kind of experience with them or are they not usually this terrible?

Thanks!
    What did you mess up though? ... As no matter what conversation lines you pick, it ends the same way. Same rewards too. If it is bugged though, I'd say keep trying support.
  • mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Thanks!
    What did you mess up though? ... As no matter what conversation lines you pick, it ends the same way. Same rewards too. If it is bugged though, I'd say keep trying support.

It's not a big thing that I messed up, but I have pretty severe OCD so restarting the quest would be the only way of me not feeling like I have to restart the whole game...
    Basically, I just need to be able to Abandon the quest, but I need Support's help to do so, because for some reason the option to do this with a Main Quest mission doesn't exist...

So, my question is this - do Support actually help players solve their issues, or is this a waste of my time? lol
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artorias24 wrote: »
    Maybe we can help, what exactly is messed up with the your quest that you have to reset it?

^ This

People might be able to help if you tell us what is wrong
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you look through the forums, many complaints about customer service are precisely that they don't seem to have read the tickets.
    So, sadly, yes. This is normal.
  • mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »

^ This

There's a dialogue line that I accidentally skipped and I missed it. Now I'm past a point where I can reset the quest objective, so I can't "replay" it.

I know it's silly, but as I said - I have severe OCD.
    Reason why I didn't want to mention it is because I know people (who don't have OCD) will focus on how small the issue is, rather than the question I asked...
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    x48rph wrote: »

^ This

There's a dialogue line that I accidentally skipped and I missed it. Now I'm past a point where I can reset the quest objective, so I can't "replay" it.

I know it's silly, but as I said - I have severe OCD.
    Reason why I didn't want to mention it is because I know people (who don't have OCD) will focus on how small the issue is, rather than the question I asked...

I take it reading it via another method, such as watching a video or reading a detailed walkthrough which includes all the dialogue wouldn't help? If not then I don't think you can do anything yourself, because there's no way to go back to that point in the quest, your only option is to keep trying with support.

When I've contacted support about unusual problems before I've gotten the impression that even after you've gotten past the automated response and a real person is replying there's two problems:
    1) They're copying in pre-written blocks of text to save time, which means the reply may not fit what you're actually asking about.
    2) Every reply has a different name on the bottom so it's likely the ticket is not assigned to anyone; they send one response then move on and the next reply goes to whoever happens to pick it up first, who has to start over figuring out what the problem is. If they're under pressure to respond as quickly as possible it's highly likely they'll skim read your reply, copy in the standard responses which seem to fit best and move on.

(I've been on the other side of this, not working for ZOS, and that method does work the majority of the time because most customer support queries are repetitive and about things with a simple solution so the standard reply does the job, it's only a problem when the person responding skim reads and misses that this one is slightly different for some reason.)

I think it helps to be as clear and brief as you can (without being rude of course). For example start with "That did not work. It is not possible to abandon a main quest story using that method." Also include a summary (as short as you can make it) of the problem and what they need to do in every reply, so they don't need to re-read the entire conversation to work out what's going on.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Greetings @mfcostacampos

If you could provide us with your ticket number we would be happy to look into this for you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings @mfcostacampos

If you could provide us with your ticket number we would be happy to look into this for you.

Hi @ZOS_Adrikoth - thank you so much for noticing this thread and offering to help! I really appreciate it.

The "Incident" number is 201019-004721
    Please let me know if this is the information you needed.

Thanks again!
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Thanks @mfcostacampos that is the information that we needed.

We can confirm that your latest reply has been received and a member of our support team will reach out to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • mfcostacampos
    mfcostacampos
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @mfcostacampos that is the information that we needed.

We can confirm that your latest reply has been received and a member of our support team will reach out to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks again @ZOS_Adrikoth - as I mentioned, I really appreciate you going out of your way and looking into this so proactively.