The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why should I play mag if you can play stam???

• UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the meta I've always preferred having the range of magicka builds. Of course, now there are tons of bow snipers about so it's more of a moot point, but I do feel like a lot of those snipers have a bit of a straightforward playing style.

One thing that does screw me over now more than anything as a magicka player is the perma roll dodge on some stam specs. To my knowledge, there are few ways to counter it. People also like to complain about Nightblade invisibility, but at least in that case there is a clear counter-play you can put to the table, whether it's revealing flare, radiant magelight or detect pots, all of which are available to every class. But fighting a stamblade that has access to cloak and dodge roll? For me, that's when it starts sucking the fun out of fights.

I was in IC today, fought a only staminas, NB, Socer and Werewolf 1v1 Nobody killed, but I couldn't kill then when they was about to die they ran. And they almost killed me because they have dizzying swing and executioner. I'm magdk, all of them have better heals with vigor. They are faster, stronger, resistentes, have better recovery and better heals.

But the worst moment was when 3 Stam necro came with dizzying swing, colossus and executioner, I almost killed one of them but stamcro is hard to kill.

ZOS is making everybody go Stam, sometimes I get my Stam only to kill people easy, if I Wana a hard time I go mag...
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to your question: Why should I play mag if you can play stam?, is: you should not unless you like Magsorc.

(Nearly) everything is in favour of stamina builds at the moment, and it has been for >1 year.
    1. Most stamina abilities are cheaper than magicka abilities.
    2. Most proc sets giving free damage and healing are stamina item sets.
    3. Access to major and minor defile (both extremely powerful status effects) is almost exclusively for stamina builds.
    4. Most stamina builds can easily run two damage item sets without having to sacrifice resistance and resource recovery, try that with most magicka builds (you are forced to make sacrifices).
    5. Movement speed bonuses are almost exclusively for stamina builds.
    6. Bleeding ignores all resistance levels (correct me if wrong).
    7. Magicka builds are (mostly) limited to ranged combat, which can easily be dodged.
    8. On the topic of dodging and the fact that it is crucial to survival: more stamina & stamina recovery = more dodging. Magicka builds lack both.
    9. Stamina builds can use their magicka resources for buffs and other utilities without any adverse consequences. For magicka builds, using stamina for the same purpose would be suicide (because you won't be able to block, dodge, or break free from a stun).
    10. Magicka builds are vulnerable after dodging because of their low stamina pool due to the fact that you can't break free if you are stunned after dodging.
    11. and the list continues...
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• Morwaenna
    Morwaenna
    ✭✭✭
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    The answer to your question: Why should I play mag if you can play stam?, is: you should not unless you like Magsorc.

(Nearly) everything is in favour of stamina builds at the moment, and it has been for >1 year.
    3. Access to major and minor defile (both extremely powerful status effects) is almost exclusively for stamina builds.
    4. Most stamina builds can easily run two damage item sets without having to sacrifice resistance and resource recovery, try that with most magicka builds (you are forced to make sacrifices).
    7. Magicka builds are (mostly) limited to ranged combat, which can easily be dodged.
    8. On the topic of dodging and the fact that it is crucial to survival: more stamina & stamina recovery = more dodging. Magicka builds lack both.
    9. Stamina builds can use their magicka resources for buffs and other utilities without any adverse consequences. For magicka builds, using stamina for the same purpose would be suicide (because you won't be able to block, dodge, or break free from a stun).
    10. Magicka builds are vulnerable after dodging because of their low stamina pool due to the fact that you can't break free if you are stunned after dodging.

Very solid list of proof. Thanks for that.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree 100%. I don't understand how ZOS don't see this...
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely perfect!!!

Is it ZOS blind???

What you will do about that ZOS???
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭

Excellent points, but I’d like to add some nuances.

2. Grothdaar and overwhelming surge are carrying mag dk. Caalurion is carrying magblade. Crimson works for melee mag class like magdk (again), magplar and magden.
    4. My only pvp mag class is a mag sorc, but I find it much much easier to build glass canon on him, due to shields and streak. Except for stamblade, you NEED a defensive set on stam.
    6. This was changed like 2 years ago. Now bleed is just a physical dot.
    7. I think this is by far the biggest advantage of mag. Having the ability to burst combo from a safe distance takes some risk away. Another reason why it’s easier to build glass canon on mag.

I’m not arguing that stam is stronger than mag, I’m saying mag has some advantages too, even more now that almost no one runs gap closers anymore.
    Edited by Swomp23 on October 24, 2020 11:49PM
    XBox One - NA
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭

Not quite
    2. Magicka also has various Proc sets avaiblable. Check out Valkyrn Skoria, Clever Alchemist, Bloodthorn Touch, elemental succession, Syvarra's scales(fun fact, this set also comes in light!), etc.
    3. Ok. Magicka also has exclusive access to the burning, concussion, chilled effects which apply various debuffs
    4. Not the case at all. You will find that medium armor is quite squishy aswel, combine that with the fact stamina has no shields and........
    5. Ring of the Wild Hunt. THere ya go
    6. Bleeding does not ignore resistance levels, they changed it about 2 years ago
    7. MagDK, Magplar both of which are basically required to play in melee
    8. Magicka can exclusivly use stamina for running, dodging, etc without having to worry about loosing their abilities. On stamina if you "ROll SPAM", you might die to having no resoucres
    9. Ummm, actually there is consequences. Cloak and Purify are two great examples. If you cast them more than a couple times, you are SOL for a bit until your magicka recovers
    10. Magicka has more healing and shields than Stamina, on my Magicka templar I can roll dodge 3-4 times before running out of stamina. You cant spam dodge all the time, even on stamina characters lol. Dodge ramps up in cost the more you use it
    11. This point serves as no argument since nothing is states
  • rogenep360
    rogenep360
    ✭✭
    Ps4 na here, Bgs is full with mag classes always hitting from safe distance, some snipers proc abusers too but mostly mag chars
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only magsorc have a good range fight on mag.

You can bow range with every Stam class, you have the crazy proc sets like sheer venom and venomous for Stam.

There no one proc set in magic better than that.

Proc snipers abuser magchars??? Stamblade with sheer/venomous or ganker with snipe, snipe, snipe they are the most snipe abusers at all.

Healing, yes templar is the best healer because the class was built for it, but all stamina class have access to vigor, and with high WD you have more heals (it does not make sense at all). If you play cp you will see the stamclass with crazy heals, no way to my magdk compet with burst heals and burst executioner. A Stam necro can kill any mag class really easy.

You have only a magsorc is the best mag class for pvp, try play with a magdk with grodthar and Overwhelming against goods Stamnecro or Stam Warden and return here to talk
    Edited by UntouchableHunter on October 25, 2020 6:42PM
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭

You can bow range with every Stam class, you have the crazy proc sets like sheer venom and venomous for Stam.

Proc snipers abuser magchars??? Stamblade with sheer/venomous or ganker with snipe, snipe, snipe they are the most snipe abusers at all.

Healing, yes templar is the best healer because the class was built for it, but all stamina class have access to vigor, and with high WD you have more heals (it does not make sense at all). If you play cp you will see the stamclass with crazy heals, no way to my magdk compet with burst heals and burst executioner. A Stam necro can kill any mag class really easy.

You have only a magsorc is the best mag class for pvp, try play with a magdk with grodthar and Overwhelming against goods Stamnecro or Stam Warden and return here to talk

For healing if your not running health recovery, your doing it wrong
    Vigor is not that good with 60% reduction, and I got 5k wep damage.
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭

Also Sure you can bow range with any stam class. Its not effective except for NB.
    ALso I don't know where you're getting your facts from, but Stamina Templar has zero healing in the templar lines to check again
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Funny because the majority of Ball groups I see in Cyro are comprised mostly of Mag. Stam is very powerful of course but to say Mag is weak is just a lie.
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure all you guys play Stam. Try play mag, not the sorcerer , but all the others and tell me which one is better.
    Edited by UntouchableHunter on October 26, 2020 4:51AM
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I do.
    Magicka Templar and Magicka NB both are really fun and powerful if played right
  • UntouchableHunter
    UntouchableHunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, I do.
    Magicka Templar and Magicka NB both are really fun and powerful if played right

They don't compare with Stamnecro, Stam Warden or any werewolf. Not so good as Stamblade, stamsorcer, stamdk, stamplar. I kill both really easy with my magdk, magsorc, maybe my magnecro and mag Warden could struggle a little bit but all my stamina can kill they really, really easy.
    Edited by UntouchableHunter on October 26, 2020 2:19PM
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    yea they do. I wreck people all the time
    on my magplar I run Mark of paraih on jewelry/weps
    Stuhns for body
    and the proc set valkryn skorai and I wreck people
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raammzzaa wrote: »
    If you look at the group compositions of most of the highly organized PvP groups in ESO (i.e. “ball groups”) recently they have been highly tilted toward mag. If you play solo though, or Zerg surf, then stam is often a good option.

Really?! Using what? Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks? :D
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't. This is Elder Stamina Online with a sprinkling of Elder Stamina (Tank) Online thrown in every other patch. The entire PvP system is designed heavily to favor stamina.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »
    You shouldn't. This is Elder Stamina Online with a sprinkling of Elder Stamina (Tank) Online thrown in every other patch. The entire PvP system is designed heavily to favor stamina.

Decal_300x300.jpg?v=1523913482
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • AMeanOne
    AMeanOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam is better than mag 9 times out of 10. The only place mag is outright better is ball groups.
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    AMeanOne wrote: »
    Stam is better than mag 9 times out of 10. The only place mag is outright better is ball groups.

AND PVE
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭

AND PVE

*Until next patch.
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
    mag vc stam

burst? stam
    heals? stam (high Weapon Damage)
    resistence? stam (medium armor vs light armor

So why I should play mag?

ZOS must balance this, My stamcro, stamden, stamdk, stamplar, stamblade are to much stronger than my mags....

burst depends on class
    heals no defnetly magicka better
    resitence equal i have about 45k on a mag dk ( which still does very much dmg)

and mag is a other playstile some just prefer the other one

stamcro maybe stamden maybe stamdk defnetly balaced stamblade defnitly balanced
    Edited by KhajiitLivesMatter on October 27, 2020 12:59AM
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You play mag so you can be a harry potter.
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    Atherakhia wrote: »

AND PVE

*Until next patch.

Have you played next patch?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Morwaenna wrote: »

Not really so much misinformation in that list I don't even know where to start.
    There are 2 non ultimate skills in the game that provide major defile, 1 stamina, 1 Magicka.
    Bleeds haven't ignored resistances for a long, long time.
    Stamina costs are cheaper Beacuse you have to use your primary stat for things like blocking and dodging and break free.
    Movement speed bonuses are not exclusive to stamina, medium armor gives a small multiplier to SPRINT speed.
    Everyone has access to major expedition, snare removal, swift, steed, wild hunt etc.
    If you can't break free Beacuse you are out of Stam after dodge rolling on a Magicka class than it's you issue, Beacuse you don't have enough stamina or bad stamina management.
    Everyone had access to well fitted on gear, and for magicka it's a higher total cost reduction to dodge rolling compared to Stam since medium armor already gives some.
    Templars and dks would like to have a word about ranged only Magicka combat.
    You can run multiple damage sets on the same mag classes as Stam, go ahead equip 2 medium proc sets on Stam DK and see how long you'll live.
    And the list goes on...
  • Daggerfell0929
    Daggerfell0929
    ✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Morwaenna wrote: »

Not really so much misinformation in that list I don't even know where to start.
    There are 2 non ultimate skills in the game that provide major defile, 1 stamina, 1 Magicka.
    Bleeds haven't ignored resistances for a long, long time.
    Stamina costs are cheaper Beacuse you have to use your primary stat for things like blocking and dodging and break free.
    Movement speed bonuses are not exclusive to stamina, medium armor gives a small multiplier to SPRINT speed.
    Everyone has access to major expedition, snare removal, swift, steed, wild hunt etc.
    If you can't break free Beacuse you are out of Stam after dodge rolling on a Magicka class than it's you issue, Beacuse you don't have enough stamina or bad stamina management.
    Everyone had access to well fitted on gear, and for magicka it's a higher total cost reduction to dodge rolling compared to Stam since medium armor already gives some.
    Templars and dks would like to have a word about ranged only Magicka combat.
    You can run multiple damage sets on the same mag classes as Stam, go ahead equip 2 medium proc sets on Stam DK and see how long you'll live.
    And the list goes on...

agreed whoever made these points clearly does not play the game
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not quite
    2. Magicka also has various Proc sets avaiblable. Check out Valkyrn Skoria, Clever Alchemist, Bloodthorn Touch, elemental succession, Syvarra's scales(fun fact, this set also comes in light!), etc.
    3. Ok. Magicka also has exclusive access to the burning, concussion, chilled effects which apply various debuffs
    4. Not the case at all. You will find that medium armor is quite squishy aswel, combine that with the fact stamina has no shields and........
    5. Ring of the Wild Hunt. THere ya go
    6. Bleeding does not ignore resistance levels, they changed it about 2 years ago
    7. MagDK, Magplar both of which are basically required to play in melee
    8. Magicka can exclusivly use stamina for running, dodging, etc without having to worry about loosing their abilities. On stamina if you "ROll SPAM", you might die to having no resoucres
    9. Ummm, actually there is consequences. Cloak and Purify are two great examples. If you cast them more than a couple times, you are SOL for a bit until your magicka recovers
    10. Magicka has more healing and shields than Stamina, on my Magicka templar I can roll dodge 3-4 times before running out of stamina. You cant spam dodge all the time, even on stamina characters lol. Dodge ramps up in cost the more you use it
    11. This point serves as no argument since nothing is states

Some counterpoints:
    2. Valkyn Skoria is often used on stamina DoT builds. Clever Alchemist and Syvarra's scales are also usable on stamina builds (the latter is more useful because it deals a form of physical damage [poison]). I haven't done the counting yet but I believe it is safe to claim that there are more physical damage proc sets than magicka damage proc sets that are effective for PvP.
    The fact that those sets come in light is irrelevant because almost nobody would be stupid enough to run light armour in PvP.
    3. Sure, however, are those status effects as impactful in PvP as major and minor defile? Maybe concussion can be considered impactful due to a damage increase buff. However, then you either need to be a sorcerer for shock damage or have to sacrifice a disease glyph on other magicka classes for a shock glyph.
    4. Doesn't address my point.
    5. Proves point 4 in the original list (the need to sacrifice item slots for bonuses that are inherently available for stamina builds).
    6. Then I stand corrected.
    7. True, hence I put 'almost' between brackets.
    8. How many rolls can you do on a stamina build before you actually run out of stamina from roll spam? Now count how often you can do that with approx. 8-12k stamina on a magicka build. I've yet to find the person that runs out of stamina on a stamina build because they decided to roll spam. (Almost) nobody roll spams in PvP because they know the consequences (incremental cost increase). See point 10 for further argument.
    9. Doesn't address my point. My point is that stamina builds can use magicka without any dire consequences because the survival of stamina builds in PvP doesn't rely on magicka. Contrary, the survival of magicka builds does rely on stamina (dodging, blocking [unless you use a frost staff], breaking free) while having a small pool of stamina, to begin with.
    10. Did I make the point that stamina builds have more healing? I don't think so. Also, you exclusively bring up the idea of dodging. However, my point is that after dodge rolling, magicka builds are more vulnerable because it puts more stress on the total pool of stamina. When you have approx. 25-30k stamina to spend, one or two dodge rolls will not be a great concern. When you have 8-12k stamina to spend, you may run into deep trouble if you get hard stunned after your rolls.
    11. I know.
    Edited by DTStormfox on October 28, 2020 9:48PM
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player