The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

nMA and vMA Staff buff??

llBlack_Heartll
llBlack_Heartll
✭✭✭✭
I'm surprised no one has mentioned or talked about this this.
Should the Maelstrom Staves receive a buff to make up from the 10% loss to light attack damage?
Edited by llBlack_Heartll on October 13, 2020 3:38AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do they listen?
    Hell no.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What part of them nerfing ranged light attacks made you think they didn't do it to reduce the total damage output?
  • Austinseph1
    Austinseph1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has nothing to do other than to bring it to some silly standards since they are "ranged weapons" even though many classes are forced into meele range. Its a really silly way to do things.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are deliberately nerfing the maelstrom weapons to make the shiny new dlc arena staves look better. They even gave it a fat buff today by making it aoe and scaling in damage to sweeten the pot since no one looked interested in using it.
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly Mag has had it too good for too long in PVE.

IT'S TIME FOR STAM TO RISE UP!
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well yeah but for mag it sucks alot in PvP. You are in melee range anyways if your not a sorc.
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ignoring the simple reason that damage reduction happened to reduce damage so finding other way to get damage back is quite pointless let me just end this with:

There are other ranged weapons than destruction staff.
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    Ignoring the simple reason that damage reduction happened to reduce damage so finding other way to get damage back is quite pointless let me just end this with:

Yes there are other ranged weapons, but no other weapons are hinged on LA damage like Maelstrom staves are, nerfing damage via light attacks nerf Magicka way more than Stam, so it’s not a balanced nerf.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes there are other ranged weapons, but no other weapons are hinged on LA damage like Maelstrom staves are, nerfing damage via light attacks nerf Magicka way more than Stam, so it’s not a balanced nerf.

Light attack damage = X reduced by 10% this PTS
    VMA staff = Y damage added to X
    Bow passives = increased damage of X by up to 37%

Do I have to explain more?
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭

Unless you are double baring your bow, you never get the full stacks and once you swap bars you don’t get the bonus to LA damage, it’s not hinged on it that passive for damage put out.
    It helps a very min amount.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Unless you are double baring your bow, you never get the full stacks and once you swap bars you don’t get the bonus to LA damage, it’s not hinged on it that passive for damage put out.
    It helps a very min amount.

Thats what I get for not explaining more :'(
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Should the Maelstrom Staves receive a buff to make up from the 10% loss to light attack damage?

They nerfed la for a reason, why would they undo it by buffing Maelstrom staff lol.
    Haven't you noticed that mag is op and 99% of endgame pve groups running mag only. All the content, inc arenas, dungeons, trials favor mag builds and are way easier. If anything they should nerf mag more to make stam also viable.
  • XxCaLxX
    XxCaLxX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurat wrote: »

They nerfed la for a reason, why would they undo it by buffing Maelstrom staff lol.
    Haven't you noticed that mag is op and 99% of endgame pve groups running mag only. All the content, inc arenas, dungeons, trials favor mag builds and are way easier. If anything they should nerf mag more to make stam also viable.

I half agree but damage is not the reason 99% of endgame dps are mag. Why nerf mag dps when it's already lower than stams. Why not buff stams in other areas such as survivability and other areas that make them less desirable but nerfing mag damage isn't going to solve anything.
    Edited by XxCaLxX on October 14, 2020 11:33AM
  • nsmurfer
    nsmurfer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XxCaLxX wrote: »
    Kurat wrote: »

I half agree but damage is not the reason 99% of endgame dps are mag. Why nerf mag dps when it's already lower than stams. Why not buff stams in other areas such as survivability and other areas that make them less desirable but nerfing mag damage isn't going to solve anything.

@XxCaLxX Mag DPS is same or higher than stamDPS. Yes, for some classes magDPS can be lower than stam DPS for single target DPS, but the meta DPS class magNB destroys stamNB in DPS. Also, every single magDPS has several times higher cleave AoE DPS than stamDPS, which is just as important as single-target DPS but often ignored in balancing. StamDPS literally have no cleave outside their class skills and some classes like stamNB have literally zero cleave DPS.
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All is ok with vMA weapon.

Stay closer to the boss, like all always do.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure why not. As long as they apply the same sort of buffing to mag in general in PvP.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these people saying that magdps is too strong clearly don’t know about the stamplar build pulling over 95k with nothing but jabs, dawnbreaker, and beast trap
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All these people saying that magdps is too strong clearly don’t know about the stamplar build pulling over 95k with nothing but jabs, dawnbreaker, and beast trap

The less dots you have, the more mechanically skilled you have to be in order to achieve good results. When your rotation consists of nothing but spammable you can't afford to lose even 0,1s between each one. Yeah, I know that all the top pulling stamplars have macros for that but not everybody uses these.
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The less dots you have, the more mechanically skilled you have to be in order to achieve good results. When your rotation consists of nothing but spammable you can't afford to lose even 0,1s between each one. Yeah, I know that all the top pulling stamplars have macros for that but not everybody uses these.

You’re saying using one spammable with one dot MORE difficult than managing 4-5 dots, a 6 second cooldown ability, plus the exact same spammable? Bro have you ever done a parse before? Using the same mechanics for the traditional setup I get 70-75k on my characters. Using the jabs-aholic build I get well over 95k. Its not a technique thing, its just more dps for a fraction of the effort.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You’re saying using one spammable with one dot MORE difficult than managing 4-5 dots, a 6 second cooldown ability, plus the exact same spammable? Bro have you ever done a parse before? Using the same mechanics for the traditional setup I get 70-75k on my characters. Using the jabs-aholic build I get well over 95k. Its not a technique thing, its just more dps for a fraction of the effort.

Don't put words in my mouth. I only implied that mechanical skill matters more the less dots you use.

The more dots you use, the more tolerant your dps is to mechanical mistakes (such as missed light attack).
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on October 14, 2020 5:03PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are deliberately nerfing the maelstrom weapons to make the shiny new dlc arena staves look better. They even gave it a fat buff today by making it aoe and scaling in damage to sweeten the pot since no one looked interested in using it.

I did not see a change made directly to the MA weapons. As long as the bonus damage to basic attacks when using the weapon properly are unchanged the MA weapons are unchanged.

A nerf to LAs themselves affects all builds regardless of the weapon used.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually nerf to base dmg of light attacks is a buff to maelstrom staff damage. Now higher percentage of LA dmg will come from MA staff.
    Edited by axi on October 14, 2020 5:31PM
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip] I'm playing the game for content. Now try that jab spam in vAS, vCR or any vet trials really.
    In endgame its go mag or go home.

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 15, 2020 1:19PM
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mag dps is still better in raids because of all the sets that support them and the option to attack at range.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm still learning the finer points of ranged magicka, but I don't understand the direct relationship between Maelstrom staff Crushing Wall 'Your Light and Heavy Attacks deal an additional 1353 to enemies in your Wall of Elements' and the 10% reduction in damage to light attacks.

I would assume the +1353 comes *after* the 10% is taken out of the light attack right, so it's still the same amount of free damage? Just that each light attack + this boost combined will be potentially lower damage.

Or does the 10% inherently hit the +1353 also?

I'm also not clear how the other changes pan out for light and heavy attacks in general.
    Reduced the damage from all ranged Light and Medium Attacks by 10% to ensure they meet ranged damage standards. Heavy Attacks already meet these standards.
    All Light, Medium, and Heavy Attacks now have a 700ms cooldown unique to their weapon configuration (Dual Wield, One Hand and Shield, etc.) rather than varying amounts between 500ms and 1 second. Cast times of Heavy Attacks have been increased or decreased to ensure their total Cast Time + Cooldown remains the same at this time.
    All Light, Medium, and Heavy Attacks now dynamically scale with your highest offensive stats.
    Removed the 200ms delay on Lightning and Restoration Staff Heavy Attacks, preventing some weird hiccups or stutters they could encounter.

In some builds, couldn't you see an *increase* in damage due to the scaling and faster heavy attacks?
    Edited by Fennwitty on October 15, 2020 5:23PM
    PC NA