The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Constant disconnect for more than 2 years

Tom6242
Tom6242
Hello there,

I've been playing ESO for more than 4 years now. PC, EU server.
However, since Summerset (before that, everything was all right), I am VERY REGULARLY getting disconnected, without warning and without any reason. It can happen during a dungeon or a trial (too bad when you're a healer), during a dialogue with a NPC, in Cyrodiil, on horse or on foot, in my house...
Every time, these disconnecting issues happen like this:
1. My character can't change his weapon, other players don't move anymore... Exactly like a lag.
2. But unlike a lag, I get disconnected after 20s and go back to the login screen.
3. When I try to re-connect, I get the 304 error: this account is already connected, 4-5 times, before I can relog and come back to the character selection screen.

This issue driving me crazy, I opened countless tickets to the client support. I literally tried everything they suggested: I play with an ethernet cable, I tried using my phone as a connecting device, I opened the ports, set up a fixed IP, did every imaginable and possible updates (windows, steam, graphic card, pilots...), put ESO as an exception for my antivirus, used CCleaner, downloaded the game again, stopped using addons, lowered the graphics, I even manually cleaned my internet outlets... NOTHING worked. Every 20 minutes to 1 hour on average, I get disconnected. And the client support gave up. Btw, my computer meets all the requirements for ESO by far, naturally. It even runs The Witcher 3 in max settings and can also run Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Of course, I contacted my internet provider. They told me there is no problem, and that doesn't surprise me: this problem only happen with ESO. No other game. I also live in a big city and I have optic fibre, so my internet doesn't seem to be the problem.

Therefore, I started doing stats.
In April, I got disconnected 74 *** times (yes, that's the accurate number, I don't make it up).
In May, I got disconnected 17 times.
In June, 29 times.
In July, 29 times.
In August, 16 times.
In Septembre, 36 times.
In October, already 13 times!

I noticed that the disconnecting issues are much more frequent during the events (hence the 74 times in April) and during the week end. For example, during the last Imperial City event, I got disconnected 5 times in less than 10 minutes, i couldn't play even 10s. But after the event ended, I could play a whole week before getting disconnected again.

For me, it is obvious that the problem comes from Zenimax when the server is full. It is as if, for a reason or another, I get disconnected to make some room for other players.

I'm desperate now, since the client support literally gave up (they eventually told me they're going to tell the developers, which is a polite way to tell me to *** off), so I'm asking here. I have seen many other topics adressing the same problem, but none gave a solution -and I know them all, trust me!

Does anybody have any idea, or had this problem and solved it? I'm torn apart between Voodoo magic and asking the NASA otherwise...

Thanks in advance.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Tom6242

Would you be able to provide us with your latest ticket number?

We can look into what support has suggested so far.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Tom6242

Would you be able to provide us with your latest ticket number?

We can look into what support has suggested so far.

My last ticket was # 200815-007637 (but the answer is in French - they said they'll bring the problem to the dev team)
    [Ticket created on 15.08.2020 17:39 and last upload on 24.09.2020 07:59]

I literally tried every other solution. But it is obvious: I get disconnected when many people are connected, so especially during events and on week-end nights.

For example, last night (Monday) I had no disconnecting issue, but it happened 6 times on Saturday night.
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    Well...

Tonight, Cyrodiil, first fight. Disconnected.

Been like this for almost 3 years.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep playing.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to disconnect randomly and yes, it took a while for the client to actually recognize it was disconnected and the server a little bit longer. The game is very intolerant of data dropping for a brief moment. For me the problem ended up progressing until I started getting disconnected multiple times in an hour. The ATT came out and found a few problems, fixed them and have had smooth sailing since.

Good luck to you.
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    idk wrote: »
    I used to disconnect randomly and yes, it took a while for the client to actually recognize it was disconnected and the server a little bit longer. The game is very intolerant of data dropping for a brief moment. For me the problem ended up progressing until I started getting disconnected multiple times in an hour. The ATT came out and found a few problems, fixed them and have had smooth sailing since.

Good luck to you.

What's the ATT? Your internet provider?

Mine said there is no issue (Orange, FR).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom6242 wrote: »

Good luck to you.

What's the ATT? Your internet provider?

Mine said there is no issue (Orange, FR).

Sorry, was lazy. AT&T. Yes, my internet provider.

And AT&T told me they saw no issue after they ran a remote test. As long as I allow them to do everything they can remote they said they would not charge me for a visit. The technician on the ground detected an issue where what is essentially the digital conduit our data runs through was collapsing for less than a second. He also found 3 hardware issues because he took the time to look beyond simple tests.

First, I would not pay for them to come out and each provider is different in how they do things. Second, I was confident the issue was local because I was losing connection to TeamSpeak at the same time. TeamSpeak is a better indicator because it reacts quickly. That might be something to try. I am not sure why ESO takes so long to time out when it is not capable of recovering from even the briefest internet drop.

Other things it could be, wiring in the home, internet card on PC (or console), router/modem issues including wireless interference if that how you are connecting to your router.

Again, do not pay for anyone to come out.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Tom6242

We have sent you a forum PM regarding your current ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242

ESO: it's your internet provider
    My internet provider: it's your game
    Me: get disconnected

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll call again but they will give me the same answer I bet...
  • Sirvaleen
    Sirvaleen
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    Sirvaleen wrote: »

I already did a pathping, as instructed by the support. They found nothing. Then, they stopped answering my emails. I guess it's because they don't want to admit that the problem comes from ESO.

When will they learn that you close a ticket AFTER finding a solution, and not when your idea failed?
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    Just, for the record: I got disconnected 5 times tonight, between 21:30 and 23:50 CET, so on average every 28 minutes.

That's a normal night for me.

I gave up on pvp and endgame content because of this. That's unacceptable.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also had the same problem all these years. Had internet provider check service lines, disabled nagle algorithm, del, Nvidia hd audio driver, and used 2 different vpns( for gaming). Nothing worked. With 200mbps download eso is the only service I have trouble with. At this point I have given up and just except the disconnect and play until I get annoyed with it.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom6242 wrote: »
    Sirvaleen wrote: »

I already did a pathping, as instructed by the support. They found nothing. Then, they stopped answering my emails. I guess it's because they don't want to admit that the problem comes from ESO.

When will they learn that you close a ticket AFTER finding a solution, and not when your idea failed?

Why would ESO single out a small number of players to disconnect frequently? I have not disconnected at all today, several hours of playtime, and cannot recall the last time I DCed from either PC EU or PC NA.

BTW, I know for a fact those tests the remote tech support people run on our lines are not designed to detect every possible issue. We can easily have an intermittent local issue that will not be detected unless it happens when they run that test. It is far from what is possible with what a local tech can do.

TLDR, the phone tech support for your ISP cannot tell you with certainty there is not an issue with your internet service. Just a simple fact.

I suggest using TS to see if you are also getting disconnected from a TS server shortly before getting DCed from the game. It has a faster reaction than ESO and disconnects almost as easily. If it does DC then you will know with certainty the issue is local.
    Edited by idk on October 10, 2020 3:33AM
  • Tom6242
    Tom6242
    Good news, everyone! (yes, it's a Futurama reference)

ZOS_BillE reopened my ticket and in the meantime I also changed my internet box just to be sure. (I called the support, they told me again that the connection was OK, but agreed to change my box anyway.) And for a few days I haven't been disconnected.

I hope it's not a coincidence and that it will survive the upcoming Halloween and Christmas events... But for now, things are ok.

After 2 years becoming crazy... Finger crossed then.

Markarth, here I come.