The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magblade performance this patch

Deathlord92
Deathlord92
✭✭✭✭✭
So how is magblade performing this patch in pvp on paper it looks very underwhelming to me. I haven’t played magblade in a while so any advice would be nice you don’t have to share builds just want opinions on how there doing thanks.
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are certainly underperforming compared to other classes. Obviously the best bombers, but apart from that they are near the bottom right now. That being said, you can still play well as a magblade. They just aren't the strongest.

Frankly, mag is underperforming as a whole--and magblade especially
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    And for builds, calurions is very strong on magblade right now since it's extremely easy to proc on the class.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are certainly underperforming compared to other classes. Obviously the best bombers, but apart from that they are near the bottom right now. That being said, you can still play well as a magblade. They just aren't the strongest.

Ok thx very much I haven’t played magblade in months and I really want to play it now hhh just don’t want to gear him spend all that gold finding it won’t perform well hhh.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for builds, calurions is very strong on magblade right now since it's extremely easy to proc on the class.
    I was actually thinking about trying out nma and war maiden to maximise my damage potential still not sure what food and mundus yet I’m a Breton and I’m looking for good sustain to.
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was actually thinking about trying out nma and war maiden to maximise my damage potential still not sure what food and mundus yet I’m a Breton and I’m looking for good sustain to.

Those are good sets, so you can do fine. The great thing about PVP is you can play around with your sets and there aren't really any "Best in Slots".
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭

Magsorcs are still very strong. I can testify from the receiving end. Magplars and Magdens are still good healers, which is the most powerfull ‘’class’’ in a group. Very good magdk players will still flip you in your shorts.
    Overall though, I have to agree that stam outperforms mag.
    XBox One - NA
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Magblades are bad, that being said due to the proc changes you can build a strong proc - magNB. I usually win 90% of the fights with this set up, and people keep asking me in game what Im running etc.

Frontbar - Caluurion (Inferno in precise with Shock enchant)
    Backbar - Armor Master (Restro in defending with mag steal enchant or poison)
    Monster Set - Kjalnar
    Mythic - Wild hunt (in Swift)

It pretty much plays like your usual magblade (Dark Cloak, Rapid Regen, Shields, Fear, Swallow Soul, Soul Harvest etc). You fear you target right at 4 stacks of Kjalnar. If you manage to proc Caluurion, Kjalnar and Spectral Bow it can "1-shot" a lot of people, while youre sitting at around 30k resistances (in 5light - 2 heavy) on backbar with 30k HP. Its cancer, but thats unfortunately the meta we are currently in.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Magblades are bad, that being said due to the proc changes you can build a strong proc - magNB. I usually win 90% of the fights with this set up, and people keep asking me in game what Im running etc.

Monster Set - Kjalnar

It pretty much plays like your usual magblade (Dark Cloak, Rapid Regen, Shields, Fear, Swallow Soul, Soul Harvest etc). You fear you target right at 4 stacks of Kjalnar. If you manage to proc Caluurion, Kjalnar and Spectral Bow it can "1-shot" a lot of people, while youre sitting at around 30k resistances (in 5light - 2 heavy) on backbar with 30k HP. Its cancer, but thats unfortunately the meta we are currently in.
    I don’t understand why they haven’t done anything nice for magblade even though for years now people have been asking for it they even gave stam sorc some new tricks. I still think we need a much better access to major sorcery maybe put it on our siphon strikes. Nice build mate thx for sharing it I will try it atm I’m gonna try nma and war maiden first.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on October 3, 2020 1:15PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play a Caluurion melee(ish) magblade. A stamblade asked whether Caluurion might be good to wear on that class and we ended up having a discussion on why a stat-based build, which I believe works well on stamblade, doesn't work as well on magblade. This involved a straight up build comparison with like-for-like magicka and stamina sets. I came to the same conclusion as yourself: Major Sorcery on Siphoning Attacks would be a step in the right direction, albeit only one step.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6969534
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

I don’t understand why they haven’t done anything nice for magblade even though for years now people have been asking for it they even gave stam sorc some new tricks. I still think we need a much better access to major sorcery maybe put it on our siphon strikes. Nice build mate thx for sharing it I will try it atm I’m gonna try nma and war maiden first.
    Speed is IMO invaluable. If you want to go for a pure spell damage build, I'd go with (the revised) Stygian as a back bar, War Maiden or NMA front bar, Wild Hunt and monster set of choice - probably Balorgh. Stygian activates, if you work with a combination of crouch and cloak or you just momentarily uncloak, cloak again, then bar swap for attack.
    Edited by fred4 on October 3, 2020 4:05PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Bad.....but you win 90% of fights and can practically one shot? Okay.

And yea, I've been a victim of this type of build many times.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Speed is IMO invaluable. If you want to go for a pure spell damage build, I'd go with (the revised) Stygian as a back bar, War Maiden or NMA front bar, Wild Hunt and monster set of choice - probably Balorgh. Stygian activates, if you work with a combination of crouch and cloak or you just momentarily uncloak, cloak again, then bar swap for attack.
    Yup I’m looking for high spell damage sustain build kinda like how I play stamblade hhh and I’m definitely going vampire I know they suck but I’m a bit of a role player and a vampire just fits the style of play I’m going for on magblade.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on October 3, 2020 4:09PM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauld1_ESO wrote: »
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Any class can easily one shot the difference between the magblade and other classes is a magblade dies the second you catch it the other classes can survive a great deal of damage.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

What he's doing is actually quite involved. Caluurion is controllable with Shadowy (which he is not using, though), Kjalnar less so. Lining up the spectral bow with Fear and Kjalnar takes skill. The spectral bow mechanic means it's not a gank. This nightblade has been outplaying you - or someone - for at least 5 seconds.

I play a Caluurion ganker / brawler who uses a defensive back bar and a lot of sustain. The people I can one shot with a Caluurion gank combo are pretty much limited to lowbies, PvEers and bad stamblades. It's quite possible that people build more offensive gankers, but they pay for that in survivability or, like The Owl, they give up Shadowy Disguise and are no longer gankers.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Yup I’m looking for high spell damage sustain build kinda like how I play stamblade hhh and I’m definitely going vampire I know they suck but I’m a bit of a role player and a vampire just fits the style of play I’m going for on magblade.
    Well, there's also a Master's destro staff to consider, albeit you tend to rule out either mythics or monster sets in such builds. Then there's Simmering Frenzy.
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Yes its bad, proc meta doesnt require skill or a good class toolkit. That being said Im pretty sure you play a stamBlade and stamBlades are much much better, they dont even require you to play proc sets just because of how good the toolkit is.

You can clearly see that the build is a very tanky build, 30k resistances with 30k HP, I run around with 34k max mag and all magicka recovery glphys, which in return means that my non proc abilities actually hit not that high. My Swallow Soul for example only has a tooltip of 7511 Magic Damage, which is low. (very low compared to my StamBlades 12k Surprise Attack...)
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Yes its bad, proc meta doesnt require skill or a good class toolkit. That being said Im pretty sure you play a stamBlade and stamBlades are much much better, they dont even require you to play proc sets just because of how good the toolkit is.

You can clearly see that the build is a very tanky build, 30k resistances with 30k HP, I run around with 34k max mag and all magicka recovery glphys, which in return means that my non proc abilities actually hit not that high. My Swallow Soul for example only has a tooltip of 7511 Magic Damage, which is low. (very low compared to my StamBlades 12k Surprise Attack...)
    Yeah this is why I ask for magblade buffs I been playing nb for years and I enjoy both specs a lot but stamblade feels a lot stronger then magblade and more fun to play.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with magblade is the same it's always been. All your self healing is dodgable and offense comes down to a stupid 5 light attack mini game. Might as well run galerions and kjalnar and just join the procfest.
    Edited by Crash427 on October 3, 2020 11:07PM
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grothgar
    D
    Crash427 wrote: »
    The problem with magblade is the same it's always been. All your self healing is dodgable and offense comes down to a stupid 5 light attack mini game. Might as well run galerions and kjalnar and just join the procfest.

99.8% of the magBlade skills are dodgeable , even light attacks due to the constraints of using a staff; you can build into procs, meanwhile, you suffer on other aspects for being full magicka. While he shares a tanky back bar, as soon as he goes offense he's very vulnerable, if the targets under CC immunity. In a duel, you can control the timing far more than BG or Cyrodiil.
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

Any class can easily one shot the difference between the magblade and other classes is a magblade dies the second you catch it the other classes can survive a great deal of damage.

No different than a Stamblade...but if you believe these forums it's the #1 build right now. My point was the irony the dude said it's bad but then went on to brag how he wins 90% of fights with his and one shots people.
    Edited by pauld1_ESO on October 4, 2020 2:52AM
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

12k surprise attack? Why do people always exaggerating stamblade damage on the forums lol. This is actually funny considering there is another thread with someone complaining that incap strike hit him for 12k. At least is realistic.

I got hit by a 18k executioner the other day from a stamden. Let's talk about that.
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No different than a Stamblade...but if you believe these forums it's the #1 build right now. My point was the irony the dude said it's bad but then went on to brag how he wins 90% of fights with his and one shots people.

It's still a little bit different between the mag and stam siblings.

Stamblades can dodgeroll many more times than a magblade, which by itself is the best mitigation in the game.

They have vigor which, yes, by itself is a bit weaker than rapid regen, but it's also a guaranteed HoT if there's anyone else near you unlike rapid regen which likes to do stupid things like heal the 60k health troll-tank instead of you.

They have a burst heal in rally, of which magblades have no equivalent. Tangent here, but I always find it hilarious when people feverishly demand magblades never be given any sort of direct/self-cast class heal or burst heal with the justification being because they can cloak...while stamblades still get to do exactly that, having access to a self-cast HoT, a burst heal, and cloak all at the same time.

The vast majority of them also have bows, which means they have the hasty retreat passive allowing them to roll dodge into major expedition -- most useful against people with camo hunter/inner light, as a single roll dodge into cloak puts you cleanly outside their detection range and gives you the speed to escape, another perk magblades don't have.

Not saying stamblades are anywhere close to the #1 PvP build for anything outside of maybe bow ganking, but they do have a good many survivability advantages over their magicka counterparts.
    Edited by JayKwellen on October 4, 2020 3:15AM
    Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

12k surprise attack? Why do people always exaggerating stamblade damage on the forums lol. This is actually funny considering there is another thread with someone complaining that incap strike hit him for 12k. At least is realistic.

I got hit by a 18k executioner the other day from a stamden. Let's talk about that.
    You are misrepresenting what he said. He was talking about tooltips, not what you're being hit with after battle spirit and mitigations.

Both stamblades and magblades can reach 16K+ fully-buffed tooltips, when you take Incap / Soul Harvest and every other conceivable buff into account, although stamblade reaches a little higher, 17.8K vs 16.4K to be exact. I don't know whether UESP is 100% accurate on this, but I do believe it is accurate in representing the difference between the two classes. If I could encourage you to peruse this thread and the UESP links in detail. It's not a long thread:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6969534

The point is, however, that a stamblade build which retains much of that theoretical tooltip, is a viable build for the reasons stated by @JayKwellen, whereas in order to produce a viable magblade build with similar survivability you tend to compromise your damage a lot. You can claw that back via proc sets, but like The Owl, I find that my Concealed tooltip ends up in the region of 7.5K. You're also left dependent on the timing of your procs and the Merciless Resolve mini-game. While I see good stamblades use Assassin's Scourge, they don't have to. They can just as easily make a Snipe build or a plain Incap / spam Surprise Attack build and still hit really hard.

I went more of a ganker route with my magblade, using Elemental Weapon into Soul Harvest and Caluurion. This is easier to pull off than a Merciless combo, but it can't match what The Owl is doing in terms of burst nor does it have the continued 6-second-after Incap pressure of a stat-based stamblade when my burst fails, which it invariably does against decent and/or tanky players. There is no denying that the surprise factor is huge in open world, especially against players already under pressure in a brawl, but your lack of defenses as a cloaking, yet out of cloak, magblade are real, compared to stamblade. There are a lot of small things that add up, from the lack of a burst heal, to shields taking a GCD and bar space, to limited stamina sustain for dodge rolls, to having to use a skill (RAT) for Major expedition. These mean that you lose both time and bar space on defense, compared to a stamblade.

Time, especially, is something you do not have. Tankier builds / classes give you an extra second here and there to buff / heal or make a mistake. The Owl went the tanky route, but ditched Shadowy Disguise. A squishy nightblade is unforgiving to play. Stamblade is able to make the most of a single defensive GCD by healing (Vigor) into a dodge roll while also gaining Major Expedition (from bow) and probably the woodelf passive to boot. Magblade doesn't have the same efficiency. You generally have to choose between gaining speed via RAT or healing via Healing Ward / Rapid Regen. Shield stacking Dampen + Healing Ward gets you out of trouble sometimes, but does not get you away. If I'm under pressure as a magblede in a melee situation, I'm generally forced into shielding or healing, combined with a dodge roll, otherwise I die within the next second. I do not gain speed as well. Even Shadow Image, which I admittedly rarely slot, feels clunky and slow, much more deliberate than the elegance of a dodge roll. Besides, both classes have this option. My recent solution is the revised Meridia's Blessed Armor on the back bar, which works a treat on magblade and leaves me without having to invest into stamina regen. Again, though, it's indicative of the compromises you have to make on magblade.
    Edited by fred4 on October 4, 2020 5:08AM
  • xI_The_Owl_Ix
    xI_The_Owl_Ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

12k TOOLTIP. Not DMG output. Tooltip =/= actual damage.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cringe at this bcz on 1 hand magblades are top damage dealers in pve and really should not get any more buffs but yeah in pvp magblades are kinda underwhelming.

Sure still great bombers and even though they really dont gank they do kinda linger around like a vulture. pecking away at ya until they are able to dig their teeth in for the killing blow.

All im gonna say is be careful what you wish for...
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Deathlord92

Monster Set - Kjalnar

You seem to know a lot about the nightblade class. Could you share your stamblade build please?@xI_The_Owl_Ix
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    I cringe at this bcz on 1 hand magblades are top damage dealers in pve and really should not get any more buffs but yeah in pvp magblades are kinda underwhelming.

Sure still great bombers and even though they really dont gank they do kinda linger around like a vulture. pecking away at ya until they are able to dig their teeth in for the killing blow.

Honestly I’m not looking for more damage except better access to major sorcery what I really want is more survivability on magblade in pvp it’s terrible
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

Honestly I’m not looking for more damage except better access to major sorcery what I really want is more survivability on magblade in pvp it’s terrible

BRP Resto and Pirate Skeleton/Malubeth might fix that, if don't War Maiden with Armor Master might help, also since now we have a lot of braindead gear, a lot, ... a l o t of LoS.
    Edited by Ecfigies on October 4, 2020 11:39PM
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes its bad, proc meta doesnt require skill or a good class toolkit.

Thats the core issue with magBlades. Their class toolkit isn't enough where they're overly rely on the proc meta, all mNB offense skills can be reflected or dodged, slow buildup w or w/o procs, and non-class skills often outperform class, so the passive benefits are touch and go..., all the CONs with the fragile that dies to the 1-2 GCD combos in mass. Add in non-NB players demanding the class lose its Invisibility, gimp shade, and/or NB need their passives nerfed. ZoS spent too much focus on the stamBlade and ruined the magBlade, redefining the build, as a PVE build, which socks hard and violates their motto, play as you want... I wouldn't be looking for go mode changes but they need to address the core problems why magBlade is the bottom of the classes in PVP.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    slimecraw caluurion and war maiden. Still some people simply mock me by standing still and outhealing it. Others escape with 1k hp and start rolling forever. Everything is dodgeable, can't hit with anything, not even a reliable CC (fear is melee, so no).
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube