The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Fastest way to level a character from 1 to 50

TonyDemonLord
TonyDemonLord
✭✭✭
I just started a second character and I wanted to know what is the fastest possible way to level from 1 to 50? Reaching 50 on my first character was a long grueling grind and I don’t want to go through that again. I hear that lots of people say it can be done in about 5 hours but how is that possible?
Xbox NA
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably Skyreach runs are your best bet.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently came back to playing the game again a couple weeks ago, and leveled a new PvP character in about 3.5 hours. I leveled in Spellscar (Craglorn). I spread this over 2 days... I did the random daily and random daily bg, on 2 different days, and then the rest of the time I ran a circle in Spellscar solo. I used 3, 150% XP scrolls. A friend of mine who also came back a few weeks ago leveled a new character as well, and he too leveled in Spellscar in about the same amount of time.

If you don't have someone to carry you through Skyreach, and do it quickly, or you simply don't want to pay to have someone run you through it then Spellscar is really the way to go.
    Edited by Diminish on September 30, 2020 1:14AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyreach if you can find/pay someone to carry you.

The Alikir or Auridon Dolmen Zerg is efficient.

However, you will still need some Skyshards and if Magic, Blue Lore Books.

Figure on 12 to 15 hours.

Good tip, get the shards in the first 15 zones, killing delve bosses and dolmens along the way. You can get the books along the way, no need to do the zerg or skyreach. You will reach 50 in the same time and have plenty of skill points.
    Edited by Nestor on September 30, 2020 1:11AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Milo
    Milo
    ✭✭✭
    Alchemy writs. Nothing is faster. Well depending if you count the buying of those in the time spent on not, but it takes like 10 minutes to lvl 10 to get the skillpoints then another ten to 50 if you have enough of them.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Skyreach if you can find/pay someone to carry you.

The Alikir or Auridon Dolmen Zerg is efficient.

However, you will still need some Skyshards and, if Magic, Blue Lore Books.

Figure on 12 to 15 hours.

Good tip, get the shards in the first 15 zones, killing delve bosses and dolmens along the way. You can get the books along the way, no need to do the zerg or skyreach. You will reach 50 in the same time and have plenty of skill points.

Due to the need for skill points and lore books for mag I prefer to do the main story with the prophet followed by the main quest in each zone of the base game. If focused on getting those main quests done, it is not bad. While longer than 12-15 hours, the character is in a much position than doing just a grind as I have gotten a lot of skill points, some easy sky shards, and some of the mage books.

In the end, if you just do that quick grinding you have more grinding to do after lvl 50. It is a choice.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fastest is grinding in the Motalion Necropolis, but that spot is very crowded even in the middle of the night, so it's not very reliable with its speed.
    Skyreach Catacombs on the other hand is always available due to being a group instance and yields a comparable amount of XP, so it's probably the fastest.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milo wrote: »
    Alchemy writs. Nothing is faster. Well depending if you count the buying of those in the time spent on not, but it takes like 10 minutes to lvl 10 to get the skillpoints then another ten to 50 if you have enough of them.

^^ This. If you have the gold to buy them in mass, doing alchemy and enchanting master writs is the fastest way.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fastest way is Skyreach. You need about 500k - 1mil gold. Craft or buy training gear. Buy xp pots if you have no scrolls. 150% best obviously. Then buy Skyreach carries from Craglorn zone or guilds. On PC/NA prices are between 5k-10k run. Best to do it when double xp events are on because they stack with xp pots/scrolls.
  • Rexy18
    Rexy18
    ✭✭✭
    As others said, alchemy (and enchanting) master writs. Assuming you have both levelled and managed to buy enough, the actual levelling process takes 5 mins with the addon and a 150% pot
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    So to summarize: the absolutley quickest ways are beyond you reach most likely but there are a number of things you can try that will def improve leveling speeds...
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other have said, master writs is definitely the fastest. You need to level alchemy beforehand, and get the passive for using 3 reagents for potions, but then it's pretty fast apparently. Although, the character will not have any skil lines levelled other than class/weapons, with that method.
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    Skyshard gathering/Group Events in all the main areas while using 50% scroll. In the end you still have to get the skyshards anyway unless you play with a very limited skill set. Once I'm done gathering skill points I even have enough for all of crafting, 2 weapon skill lines, and the class abilities.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do alchemy AND enchant. Enchant is just as easy to get to 50 as alchemy is.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ug I miss the progression grind spots before one Tamriel. Good times. Now everyone just goes to the same two spots.

RIP daggerfall ogres and bears. Another victim of one Tamriel.
  • Mason_King
    Mason_King
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like zone stories & map Adventuring/Discovering was a good help, It got me to level 40 quickly.
    Dolmen & Delve farming
    Then I went over to Cyrodiil.
    Haven't even touched the main Story yet.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Milo wrote: »
    vgabor wrote: »
    ^^ This. If you have the gold to buy them in mass, doing alchemy and enchanting master writs is the fastest way.
    With Provisioning writs (1st position) it is even easier and faster to level up than with Alchemy writs (2nd position) and Enchanting writs (3rd position), but for this you have to collect all master writ recipes before so that you can teach them to a new toon. Accordingly, we store all Provisioning master recipes/writs, Alchemy and Enchanting writs in our guild bank, so that we can level up a new toon to 50 within one evening and a new skill to max within 5-10 mins in combo with 150% XP pots.

Edited by BalticBlues on September 30, 2020 12:09PM
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First unlocking all guilds then swooping thru zones collecting wayshrines / skyshards / books / delves / public dungeons and occasional dolmen &cet is not at all fastest but likely most useful.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I found Skyreach too painful for a new character. I've always grinded my characters just by killing zombies or werewolf's and using experience scrolls. I found it easy and exceptionally fast.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    get xp
  • Xiomaro
    Xiomaro
    ✭✭✭
    Master Writs and Skyreach are both fast but also expensive. If you're looking for a low cost way to quickly level, you can do what I've done with 3 characters to level them to 50 in around 10 hours:

First, craft (or get someone to craft) a full set of purple training armour for both level 10 and level 30. Don't worry about jewellery or weapons. You actually get training weapons at levels 9, 15, 25, and 41.

Secondly, level however you wish to get to level 10. This is the quickest and easiest part. But you may want to walk to the wayshrines for the next step. You may also want to get the starter quests for all the guilds (particularly Fighter's Guild for the next part).

Third, do dolmens in Deshaan either solo or in a duo. People have suggested Aliki'r Desert but the zergs reduce your XP considerably. The reason we do dolmens over some of the decent public dungeon grinds is for sustain reasons. I usually pick up the Serpent/Atronach mundus plus some regen food but every time one of the chains is broken on a dolmen, you get all of your resources back. This makes the grind really fast and easy. If you have some XP scrolls lying around, pop them.

Fourth, around level 25-28 go do the Clockwork City main quest if you have access to it. The reason we do this is the 150% XP boost for 2 hours. Make sure you pick "Power" in the penultimate quest. If you pick the other option, you get a 100% scroll instead.

Fifth, get back to dolmens with your 150% + training gear XP boost. Getting from 30 to 50 takes around 2.5 hours.

Make sure you don't have an XP boost active before you want to pop the 150% XP boost. You can't stack them, and they don't overwrite each other which is a pain. So if you have 1 hour left on a 50% boost, you won't be able to apply the 150% one for the next hour.

So all in all, you just need to get training gear which will costs 35k at most, two or three 50% XP scrolls and the Clockwork City buff.

If you're an efficient grinder like me, you'll manage it in 10 hours. I can't imagine it would take longer than 16 hours with this method.
    PC EU No CP PVP
    Xiomaro: Nord Stamsorc
    Xio'maro: Breton Magsorc
    Falura Avelni: Dunmer Vampblade
    Ulric Longboi: Nord Stamden
    Sha'boom-boom: Orc Werewolf Tank
    Morga The Roarer Nord Stamcro
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not a fast way to level but an economical way:
    It's not just about levelling, it's about getting other stuff done too while you are levelling to limit your time after getting to 50 of getting all you need for the toon.

Obviously you want full purple/gold training gear for levels 10 onward (you jump to 10 so quick there is no point making training gear before that)
    XP scroll and drink before doing anything major and before handing in quests.

After you have levelled you will still need to get skill points, lorebooks, possibly cyrodiil ranks, undaunted and psyjic skill line ect.
    Here the economical way is to run around every zones public dungeon for the group boss skill point, (which is much faster than hunting for 3 skyshards for the equivalent skill point, pub dungeons have a skyshard in too and have an easy quest you can do for XP) All while queuing for random dungeons in dungeon finder, which obviously gives you massive XP for the quest, Big XP for the random dungeon finder and a skill point, while also levelling the undaunted skill which every toon needs!
    So you are killing many objectives in the same time, undaunted, skill points, levelling.

Only issue here is that you need a taxi to pub dungeons and ZOS limited our ability to queue in randoms at low levels.

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Training gear (10% from each armor & weapon piece - purple quality) + xp scrolls/pots (50% from Psijic Ambrosia Drink or EXP Scroll; 100% from Aetherial Ambrosia Drink or EXP Scroll; 150% from Mythic Aetherial Ambrosia Drink or EXP Scroll) + eso+ sub (+10%) + 2 person group (+10%) in Skyreach/Spellscar/Greenshade/Alik’r Desert/Coldharbour/Rkindaleft.

Edit: almost forgot eso+ sub grants +10% xp
    Edited by redlink1979 on September 30, 2020 2:16PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • 5cript
    5cript
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not the fastest way, but I level all the guilds instead of my character and pick up lots of (all of the) skyshards. And make myself gear every 10 levels.
    Because I think the real grind is not levels.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For solo:

150% xp pots, training gear, Spellscar circuit.

Just make sure you've got some AOE and heals/damage shields (preferably on the same skill), and don't screw up the rotation.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest there are a lot of ways to level your second character quickly. My advice is is this: spend the next 2 weeks stocking up on the items that you need to level your character and get your new toon created and start mount training then when the witches festival comes around you will get a double exp buff from the event that will stack with other exp increases.

Also consider doing dailies. There are plenty of them and they often have decent rewards that you can sell as well as decent exp gains. If you are going to do one of the grind methods remember that you can apply the cp you have already earned on any character including your new one.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiomaro wrote: »
    Master Writs and Skyreach are both fast but also expensive. If you're looking for a low cost way to quickly level, you can do what I've done with 3 characters to level them to 50 in around 10 hours:

First, craft (or get someone to craft) a full set of purple training armour for both level 10 and level 30. Don't worry about jewellery or weapons. You actually get training weapons at levels 9, 15, 25, and 41.

Secondly, level however you wish to get to level 10. This is the quickest and easiest part. But you may want to walk to the wayshrines for the next step. You may also want to get the starter quests for all the guilds (particularly Fighter's Guild for the next part).

Third, do dolmens in Deshaan either solo or in a duo. People have suggested Aliki'r Desert but the zergs reduce your XP considerably. The reason we do dolmens over some of the decent public dungeon grinds is for sustain reasons. I usually pick up the Serpent/Atronach mundus plus some regen food but every time one of the chains is broken on a dolmen, you get all of your resources back. This makes the grind really fast and easy. If you have some XP scrolls lying around, pop them.

Fourth, around level 25-28 go do the Clockwork City main quest if you have access to it. The reason we do this is the 150% XP boost for 2 hours. Make sure you pick "Power" in the penultimate quest. If you pick the other option, you get a 100% scroll instead.

Fifth, get back to dolmens with your 150% + training gear XP boost. Getting from 30 to 50 takes around 2.5 hours.

Make sure you don't have an XP boost active before you want to pop the 150% XP boost. You can't stack them, and they don't overwrite each other which is a pain. So if you have 1 hour left on a 50% boost, you won't be able to apply the 150% one for the next hour.

So all in all, you just need to get training gear which will costs 35k at most, two or three 50% XP scrolls and the Clockwork City buff.

If you're an efficient grinder like me, you'll manage it in 10 hours. I can't imagine it would take longer than 16 hours with this method.

There are some excellent points in this thread. If you are like me and don't want to grind at all here's some steps.

1. hopefully you saved 4-5 150% XP scrolls and 50-100% ones too, as was stated you can only have 1 at a time
    2. do the initial area and get to level 6 or 7 then go to your main city to fighters guild, magic guild, join both and talk to the crafting instructors to learn to craft, get all craft skill lines, even jump to summerset to get jewelry
    3. what you want to do is get all the dailies for fighters guild, mage guild, crafting done but DON'T hand them in, ALSO do the mage/fighter guild main quests, also unlock undaunted and talk to bolgrul to get/do daily quest don't hand in
    4. when your 50-100% in almost expired, queue up for daily random dungeon, ideally you want to pop your 150% XP scroll just before you kill final boss in dungeon, then run around and hand in all you quests, you will go up several levels
    5. I forgot if it is level 7 or 10 but as soon as you can go to cyrodiil do the initial quest to unlock the skill lines (they robbed us of Rapids so this is just for the easy XP)
    6. each day for 4 or 5 days do both mage/fighter guild main quests, and daily quests, do undaunted daily, do crafting daily, queue for random dungeon (if you time your 150% XP scroll right each day before handing everything in you will level up in no time)
    7. if you want to maximize this method you also add the Main Quest line, you can also easily do delve dailies for quest givers in most DLC locations like Northern/Southern elswyr (also do DLC main quest lines), just remember to do the quests but DON'T Hand them in, until you pop 150% scroll then hand everything in at once
    8. Also while you are waiting to queue for random dungeon it is fun to do psyjic quest line, without Rapids it will be worse than before but you are killing time waiting for queue & it does give you a chance to also unlock wayshrines, pick up skyshards/skill books
    9. one last point as someone mentioned, quickest way to get skill points is doing public dungeons, I don't bother grinding them just run straight to skyshard, then straight to final boss (1 skill point for killing final boss, you can ignore everything else), public dungeons are part of mage guild daily too so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone (once a day, but by day 4 just do all the public dungeons you want)
    10. This method requires absolutely no grinding, is kind of fun, more quests you do the more XP/levels, and just remember to only hand in all the daily/normal quests AFTER you take 150% scroll
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are quicker ways but the most efficient way is to join the fighters and mages guild and do delves and public dungeons in all the oldest zones. This way you get the books, skyshards, skillpoints and fighters guild at the same time.

you will be going back for them anyhow.....
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drive to get from 1 to 50 is the perfect choice between the three timeless options...
    Good. Fast. Cheap.

If it’s just fast you want, you will spend mountains of gold and have a character crippled from too few skill points.

Xbox NA
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 hours is a little tough outside a double XP event, but during one, it is very doable. You can also do it in about 25 minutes with Alchemy writs, but that takes either a crap load of them sitting in your bank or more gold than is frankly worth it IMO. If speed is your only goal, you really can't beat writs.

I think the fastest grind is skyreach, but that takes a partner to reset the instance. You can do it solo if you know what you are doing. You just have a buddy join you in a group on an alt and then log out.

There are a ton of zombie grinds around the game, all will work. And there are also a few spots in Craglorn that work as well. Make sure you have all training gear, XP pots/scrolls, and double XP event if possible. No real secret. Round them up, AOE them down. You need to be killing 10-20 zombies at a time. Not difficult with a little practice. You always get the best XP in a group of 2.

As others have said, you might not want to straight grind it. I have on several of my toons, but if you actually want them leveled efficiently, you are going to want things like sky shards, lore books, and you will want to pay attention to how you level your skills. If you have no issues buying skyshards or sill lines, then grind away.

Always be sure to unlock mages and fighters guild before you do anything.