The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC vs. PS4

alanthemagnanimous_ESO
Should I play this game on PC, which allows for addons, better controls and discord, or should I get it for PS4, which I can play from my couch (big deal, as I play for hours on end)?
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a pc. Most likely ESO won't continue long in ps.
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Should I play this game on PC, which allows for addons, better controls and discord, or should I get it for PS4, which I can play from my couch (big deal, as I play for hours on end)?

PC allows for controllers to be used. There are numerous ways to get you pc to broadcast to your tv, wired or wirelessly.
  • alanthemagnanimous_ESO

PC allows for controllers to be used. There are numerous ways to get you pc to broadcast to your tv, wired or wirelessly.

I would want to play on PC to avoid controllers.

I don't think I would do well in PvP with a controller.
    Edited by alanthemagnanimous_ESO on September 30, 2020 12:28AM
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then why even consider a console?
  • alanthemagnanimous_ESO

I don't want to sit on a computer chair for hours.

Did you guys even read the original post?
    Edited by alanthemagnanimous_ESO on September 30, 2020 12:36AM
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    ]
    rrimöykk wrote: »
    Why do people say such stupid things?
    Microsoft doesn’t take over until the end of 2021 eso makes money on Sony consoles just like Minecraft has and will continue doing. Eso isn’t going to magically be dropped businesses like making money why would they leave the biggest console platform when it’s making money hand over fist.
    I’m on console and I’d pick PC OP if console had a better interface and zos gave certain things to the actual games system like adds on that console could use then it might be a different story
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was starting out now, I'd start on PC. I play on PS4 now, but I'm likely changing to PC next gen. Getting kind of tired of consoles. Not going to rebuy this on PC as I don't want to regrind CP.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true in the least.

For QOL the PC community is strong with add-ons and doesn’t require PS+ in order to play. Far more personal customization.

However in terms of community the PS4 (soon to also be PS5) is incredibly strong and large. Furthermore the alluded to PS5 updates will address many play disparities and graphical shortcomings. It was at the German gamescom event this year that the developers mentioned the PS5 native version will have better graphics/performance than current PC so that’s a lot to look forward to.

Any fears of Zenimax big games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom) going exclusive to Microsoft are just hype and not based in reality. Zenimax’s success over the last two decades is attributed to multiplatform releases and re-releases. There is no way Microsoft would give up the cash from all of those for sources for a console/games on windows pc exclusivity.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter what others think
    PC players are gonna slam consoles and consoles players are gonna slam PC's. If you like addons, cheats, hacks and fiddling around with computers then get it on PC. If you like simplicity and consistent performance from machine to machine then get a console.
  • alanthemagnanimous_ESO

Not true in the least.

For QOL the PC community is strong with add-ons and doesn’t require PS+ in order to play. Far more personal customization.

However in terms of community the PS4 (soon to also be PS5) is incredibly strong and large. Furthermore the alluded to PS5 updates will address many play disparities and graphical shortcomings. It was at the German gamescom event this year that the developers mentioned the PS5 native version will have better graphics/performance than current PC so that’s a lot to look forward to.

Any fears of Zenimax big games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Doom) going exclusive to Microsoft are just hype and not based in reality. Zenimax’s success over the last two decades is attributed to multiplatform releases and re-releases. There is no way Microsoft would give up the cash from all of those for sources for a console/games on windows pc exclusivity.

PS4 requires PS+ in order to play ESO?
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I place my gaming devices in the corridor, as I play on my bed and don't want to hear the fan.

Did that with PC when I used one, and now with PS VR and xbox. Problem with your wife could be the cable to the TV.

Controller/mouse/keyboard can be used wireless, so that is less of an issue.

If the price does not matter (for me it does, so I went to xbox), a PC connected to your TV might combine everything you want.

If price does not matter at all, you also might pay for a smaller formfactor (Barebone-PC), so it is not larger than a console.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @alanthemagnanimous_ESO

Yes PS+ must be active so you’re playing $60 a year (many reputable online deals have PS+ for $30 US currently).
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭
    PS5 master race,
    Joke aside, Controllers are more than OK for PvP,
    I do mainly PVP for the past 5 years (3 of which on PC) and I use PS4 controller, it is very intuitive for combat and way more comfortable than M and KB
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not true in the least.

PS4 requires PS+ in order to play ESO?

Yep. Any online game at all requires yet another subscription on ps4.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AOECAPS wrote: »
    ]
    Why do people say such stupid things?
    Microsoft doesn’t take over until the end of 2021 eso makes money on Sony consoles just like Minecraft has and will continue doing. Eso isn’t going to magically be dropped businesses like making money why would they leave the biggest console platform when it’s making money hand over fist.
    I’m on console and I’d pick PC OP if console had a better interface and zos gave certain things to the actual games system like adds on that console could use then it might be a different story

We'll see in a year if that is stupid or not.
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a PS4 player and I must say that playing on this platform (talking about end game) is very challenging because you not only have to rely on the strenghts of your group but also the performance in trials is kinda rubbish. Achieving something major on PS4 or xBox is a testament to how good of a player you are.

However, if I had a chance to turn back the time, I would have chosen PC platform, but only because of performance. I don't care about addons. It seems like Zeni abandoned PS4 because the performance is getting worse and worse and major bugs are either not patched, or they're patched after months of being a nuisance.

Ultimately the choice is yours. As for me, I hope that the next gen will improve ESO a bit. That is if I don't quit by then.

(I'm a multiple TTT, GH, IR player on PS4 in addition to other non-trifecta hard mode achievements. So playing on such an advanced level and facing performance problems can be frustrating)
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both ps4 and pc accounts and 95% of time i play ps4. Because i also enjoy my living room and sofa and i love to put my feet up, have a beer or two and just relax as i fight the good fight in cyro. I know it's possible to hook pc up on tv too, but console is just easier. And it looks better in the living room. I play controller on pc too btw. Came from pc to console like 8 years ago and it took me bloody ages to use the controller. Now i can, and mouse and keyboard seem so diffucult now and most importantly... it reminds me of work *puke* i'm an accountant, you see. I stare at computer screen and type and roll the mouse all day long. I don't want to do it at home too.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pauwer wrote: »
    I have both ps4 and pc accounts and 95% of time i play ps4. Because i also enjoy my living room and sofa and i love to put my feet up, have a beer or two and just relax as i fight the good fight in cyro. I know it's possible to hook pc up on tv too, but console is just easier. And it looks better in the living room. I play controller on pc too btw. Came from pc to console like 8 years ago and it took me bloody ages to use the controller. Now i can, and mouse and keyboard seem so diffucult now and most importantly... it reminds me of work *puke* i'm an accountant, you see. I stare at computer screen and type and roll the mouse all day long. I don't want to do it at home too.

Yeah, that's why i stopped gaming on a PC. Whilst it's the undisputed king in many areas, spending my free time gaming on a PC simply doesn't appeal to me. Get enough of that at work. If i had had a job that didn't involve sitting using a PC all day I'd probably still be gaming on a PC.

I also jump on the console sometimes when my mate is round when the wife and kids are out. Simply can't do that using a PC or maybe you can but I wouldn't want to be sat in some dank spare room looking at beige walls, the fully decorated Christmas tree and some cobwebs.
    Edited by Prof_Bawbag on September 30, 2020 6:06PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play on a PS4. If I did it over again, I'd probably do a PC. But at the same time, I don't see the logic in buying a PC for one game (I have a work laptop for work). The PS5 is around the corner, but its still not going to be a PC with all the add-ons and other benefits
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I game on both, but I probably spend more time on the PC doing side work than actually playing the game. Researching mods, installing add ons, tweaking settings, getting everything to play nice, etc all eat tons of time. Plus on PC you still need the kb/m to login and pick a char even if you play with a controller. I do like some of the add ons like skyshard markers and stuff, but they’re not essential.

PS4 I just turn the system on and go - not having mods as an option takes that distraction away and just play the game.

For ESO specifically one thing I prefer about console is our economy isn’t regulated by whatever pricing the add ons recommend. You can often find stuff way cheaper or way overpriced if you shop around. The market add ons kinda defeat the purpose of separate guild traders as they centralize the pricing and location info for goods - may as well just make a central auction house for PC.

All that said, I been on both platforms since launch and if I were starting today I would say go PC if you’re going to be into it for the long term. It’s likely to retain it’s player base there longer than on console once next-gen games start flowing. MMOs are more fun the higher population. That’s my take.
  • CowNRB
    CowNRB
    ✭✭✭
    can your pc hook up to your TV? like that would be best of both worlds maybe idk
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You know that you can play with your controller on PC, right?

I made the move from xbox to PC about a year ago and muscle memory gave me fits, so I stopped playing with keyboard and mouse and just play with a controller. There are PLENTY of others like myself that do the same
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started on PS4 and then made the move to PC. Believe me, it's like night and day. PC is so much better
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a speculation angle, I suspect that in a few years, probably two to three, ESO support for XBOX ONE and PS4 will be cut off. The reason for this is that both consoles have mandates to developers that any optimized game for the X and PS4 Pro play on the base console versions. Essentially all console versions are paired down so that they can function adequately on almost decade old hardware.

That said, the new PS5 and XBOX SERIES X apparently intend to use the same megaservers for both the legacy and new systems. As such I expect an update will force players to no longer be able to sign on with the older systems while the performance is drastically upgraded without the former limitations on what will be the current generation.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to sit on a computer chair for hours.

Did you guys even read the original post?

He did read your post and offered an obvious solution. You could get a controller and play from your couch while on the PC. The really good thing is you could sit on the couch when doing something other than PvP with your controller then switch to keyboard and mouse in your chair when you want to PvP.
    Just because you got an answer you didn't want doesn't mean they misunderstood or didn't read what you posted.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started on PC, play on PS4 now, didn't transfer just picked it up again on console. I would rather play on PC tbh, the console has serious issues, graphical ones the most.