Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

SWEEPSTAKES: DOES YOUR COUNTRY QUALIFY?

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wording is so vague that I cannot tell if Florida is disqualified from participating as well. It seems they are leaving it on us to look up our own state laws and try to figure out if we can participate.
    Edited by MornaBaine on September 29, 2020 2:57PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes. Stuff like this wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't presented under the grandiose auspice of 'Tamriel Together,' camaraderie, inclusiveness and being one community.

There's more than a bit of a disconnect there. Not hard to interpret that as being told you're unimportant if you live in one of the more than 100 countries disallowed from taking part. It's like a father telling his kids he loves them all and will take them out to dinner - except that half, who aren't invited, and have to clean the house while the rest are out having fun.

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Iselin wrote: »
    Countries and specific parts of countries (like Quebec in Canada) are excluded on the basis of having atypical consumer protection laws that could cause the company having the sweepstake additional hassles, liability or even sometimes fees that don't exists in the places where they are allowed.

In Quebec it's also not allowed to have a "first month free" type of subscription service. What Amazon Prime and Netflix do to get around that is give Quebec residents 13 months with the first year's subscription instead of the free one month trial everyone else in Canada gets.

If you live in a place excluded from this sweepstake either take it up with your government or just be happy that you're more "protected" than the rest of us :)
    True, however as all items here are in game, that make it different from the daily event boxes we get during the event?

Because they're running it as a Sweepstakes, not an in-game drop event?

----
    Anyway, these threads pop up every time any kind of Sweepstakes happens (and I've seen similar on the forums of other games). If one has a problem with it, they need to take it up with their local legislators, not the people running the game.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theslynx wrote: »
    Yikes. Stuff like this wouldn't annoy me if it wasn't presented under the grandiose auspice of 'Tamriel Together,' camaraderie, inclusiveness and being one community.

There's more than a bit of a disconnect there. Not hard to interpret that as being told you're unimportant if you live in one of the more than 100 countries disallowed from taking part. It's like a father telling his kids he loves them all and will take them out to dinner - except that half, who aren't invited, and have to clean the house while the rest are out having fun.

Yes and I am 100% sure that there are other ways/platforms/distribution methods to dispense prizes to the community. One of them being to find a way to not put the prizes out as a "Sweepstakes" my word man there are so many ways that is currently in use and available.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Countries and specific parts of countries (like Quebec in Canada) are excluded on the basis of having atypical consumer protection laws that could cause the company having the sweepstake additional hassles, liability or even sometimes fees that don't exists in the places where they are allowed.

In Quebec it's also not allowed to have a "first month free" type of subscription service. What Amazon Prime and Netflix do to get around that is give Quebec residents 13 months with the first year's subscription instead of the free one month trial everyone else in Canada gets.

If you live in a place excluded from this sweepstake either take it up with your government or just be happy that you're more "protected" than the rest of us :)
    True, however as all items here are in game, that make it different from the daily event boxes we get during the event?

----
    Anyway, these threads pop up every time any kind of Sweepstakes happens (and I've seen similar on the forums of other games). If one has a problem with it, they need to take it up with their local legislators, not the people running the game.

So you want me to change my countries laws rather than appeal to ZOS to change the format to a more inclusive format? Seriously?
  • Schokolade
    Schokolade
    ✭✭✭
    France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain can enter, but Italy can't, like every year.

Gmz2ymAs.jpg

Edited by Schokolade on September 29, 2020 3:31PM
  • BangX
    BangX
    ✭✭✭
    Australia....
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BangX wrote: »
    Australia....

elaborate?
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭

The country I live in seems to allow in-game contests in other titles and sweepstakes, and you can buy crates and loot boxes. But it's small, and does have gambling legislation, and I suspect the thinking here was, 'it'll take more manpower than we want to expend to investigate and enact compliance.'

That's fine, and makes sense from an economic standpoint so you can't begrudge the devs too much - I just wish they weren't selling the festival as 'Tamriel together,' then. Call it something else if you're going to exclude lots of people.

• marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have moved Belgium to CAN ENTER but subject to conditions
  • BangX
    BangX
    ✭✭✭
    elaborate?
    [/quote]

Can't enter the sweepstakes cause I'm in Aus

• marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BangX wrote: »
    elaborate?

Can't enter the sweepstakes cause I'm in Aus

[/quote]

Yes Australia is already on the CANNOT ENTER list ty
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

----

So you want me to change my countries laws rather than appeal to ZOS to change the format to a more inclusive format? Seriously?

No, I was referring to "if you want Sweepstakes to include your country".

I presume they have some ulterior reason to want to run a Sweepstakes rather than an in-game giveaway, given that they've done both at various times over the years. A different way of attracting customers or getting personal information, perhaps?
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on September 29, 2020 4:00PM
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wtf why make something not all players can be part of?

What my country did that I am not allowed to be in ??!?!?!
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliran wrote: »

As people have mentioned - what your country did, is have various laws that limit, restrict, or or otherwise prohibit, various types of giveaways, contests, or lotteries.

So, either Bethesda can't do the contest there at all, or it would take too much legal expense (permissions, etc) to be worth it.
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliran wrote: »

As people have mentioned - what your country did, is have various laws that limit, restrict, or or otherwise prohibit, various types of giveaways, contests, or lotteries.

So, either Bethesda can't do the contest there at all, or it would take too much legal expense (permissions, etc) to be worth it.

What Bethesda did was to select a non inclusive marketing strategy
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, ZOS could make a contest that includes more countries. At this point I don't even know why my country's excluded, it's hard for me to go and change the law, especially since government has better things to do. On the other hand ZOS is using this contest as marketing strategy, they could make it the way so that it includes more countries and yet they didn't. Shame.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the point of even taking part if my country doesn't qualify. Rubbish event.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Volckodav
    Volckodav
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh Québec exclude from the rest of Canada :(
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem quite odd there has been no official thread about' Tamriel Together' posted here yet and only on the tweeter and things.

Though this one can see from the dev tracker something that might be the equivalent article in German.

But to be a winner hmm ...

A Santie houseguest in every home, assuming the houseguest will be also purchasable. Fishmas all over Tamriel all the time. Would that not be something wonderful! Though this one also worries that many of you may home this one in a sturdy cage ... or worse.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Edited by SantieClaws on September 30, 2020 9:08AM
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • RobDaCool
    RobDaCool
    ✭✭✭
    My country can. My wife's country cannot. Good thing she lives here and doesn't play ESO lol
    PS4 NA -RobdacoolV2
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They really should replace these crappy contest for something more player can participate in, especially if they give it such an inclusive name as tamriel together, i mean doing it 100% on game would probably allow more people in thant currently and wouldnt be much more effort than regular event as far as i can guess.
  • lozq
    lozq
    ✭✭✭
    So this is the first I've heard of this sweepstakes thingy. Had a look and Australians can't enter. And....I really couldn't care less, I neither want nor need a free crown crate or a non-combat pet.

But, if you were feeling devious, is there anything to stop you from just putting any random country/state down as your location? I mean it's not like they're posting you anything...and it's not like they're asking for a utility bill or anything to prove it. So..why not just lie?
    Edited by lozq on September 30, 2020 1:37PM
    Quinnine | Tankblade | PC NA
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really should replace these crappy contest for something more player can participate in, especially if they give it such an inclusive name as tamriel together, i mean doing it 100% on game would probably allow more people in thant currently and wouldnt be much more effort than regular event as far as i can guess.

Agreed! So few can participate, at least it would be better to have two contests, where the rewards in the second one could be won by people in more countries.
  • lozq
    lozq
    ✭✭✭
    Also can someone explain this?

In order to be declared a winner, each Potential Winner may be required: (iii) If entrant is a resident of Canada or Belgium: correctly answer, without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a mutually convenient time by telephone;

?!?

Quinnine | Tankblade | PC NA
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lozq wrote: »

In order to be declared a winner, each Potential Winner may be required: (iii) If entrant is a resident of Canada or Belgium: correctly answer, without assistance of any kind, whether mechanical or otherwise, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question to be administered at a mutually convenient time by telephone;

?!?

It's because those countries have relevant laws regarding sweepstakes - indeed Belgium has banned loot boxes altogether and Belgian players can no longer buy crates even.

So to win they would need to demonstrate a test of knowledge rather than not just being randomly drawn out of a hat.

I mean it will be as simple as - 'name how many legs a big grey animal with a trunk has' or ' 'two plus two' - but it still counts as demonstrating knowledge.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Vorpan
    Vorpan
    ✭✭✭

?!?

In Canada we are required to answer a math question when entering or upon winning a sweepstakes.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought - there's three aspects to this "event".

- Post a cool story of togetherness/cooperation/etc on social media, possibly get in-game stuff if your comment is highlighted

- Sweepstakes: doesn't require the social media stuff, just filling out the form. Limited to certain countries.

- Guild poster contest

From the news article, it doesn't seem like anything but the Sweepstakes is limited by laws.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

?!?

It's because those countries have relevant laws regarding sweepstakes - indeed Belgium has banned loot boxes altogether and Belgian players can no longer buy crates even.

So to win they would need to demonstrate a test of knowledge rather than not just being randomly drawn out of a hat.

I mean it will be as simple as - 'name how many legs a big grey animal with a trunk has' or ' 'two plus two' - but it still counts as demonstrating knowledge.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Does the hephalump's trunk count as 5th leg?
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought - there's three aspects to this "event".

- Post a cool story of togetherness/cooperation/etc on social media, possibly get in-game stuff if your comment is highlighted

- Sweepstakes: doesn't require the social media stuff, just filling out the form. Limited to certain countries.

- Guild poster contest

From the news article, it doesn't seem like anything but the Sweepstakes is limited by laws.

Where are the majority of the prizes awarded?