The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fiery / Unrelenting Grip and Taunt

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    JackAshes wrote: »
    That exactly correct the 3 tiers you just described Beja! Again this so easy to prove and I have done so with 5 or 6 people over the years through simple scientific method as you described. Enough that they concede to my point. What will happen in the forums though is they will test it an never return to admit they were incorrect......

It is not a soft taunt, is just regular aggro. One way to prove it is use a regular taunt on a mob and then use the pull. What does it happen?

Now, use the pull, then another guy uses a skill that dmg while you are holding block. What does it happen?

No, what @JackAshes is saying is that it isn't like regular aggro. Just doing damage to an untaunted target doesn't generally cause that target to attack you if somebody else already has aggro (and is also continuing to damage the target). Using Unrelenting Grip, on the other hand, will (almost) always cause the target to attack you, as long as there isn't a full taunt active.

because mobs attack the closest enemy that damaged them

This happens with bosses that are immune to the pull, it has nothing to do with range.

Bosses have different rules and
    JackAshes wrote: »
    That exactly correct the 3 tiers you just described Beja! Again this so easy to prove and I have done so with 5 or 6 people over the years through simple scientific method as you described. Enough that they concede to my point. What will happen in the forums though is they will test it an never return to admit they were incorrect......

It is not a soft taunt, is just regular aggro. One way to prove it is use a regular taunt on a mob and then use the pull. What does it happen?

Now, use the pull, then another guy uses a skill that dmg while you are holding block. What does it happen?

No, what @JackAshes is saying is that it isn't like regular aggro. Just doing damage to an untaunted target doesn't generally cause that target to attack you if somebody else already has aggro (and is also continuing to damage the target). Using Unrelenting Grip, on the other hand, will (almost) always cause the target to attack you, as long as there isn't a full taunt active.

This happens with bosses that are immune to the pull, it has nothing to do with range.

bosses have different rules. They do attack the last enemy that dmg them

In fact, you can test it with a sorc and pets.
    Edited by Xvorg on October 1, 2020 4:58PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If bosses always attacked the last person to damage them I would be constantly pulling aggro with other attacks. Only Unrelenting Grip reliably pulls boss aggro (excluding actual taunts).
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on October 1, 2020 5:02PM
  • Dimski
    Dimski
    ✭✭✭
    This is diverging from the main point a bit, but...
    But if we who have been tanking for years are completely honest...we’d have to say this is what normally happens. How many times do we open with an AoE and most of them come to us, and yet one or perhaps two, that you know you hit, go straight for your team. Bosses are especially prone to ignore the “opening hit” rule if you don’t give a taunt. After years of tanking I am convinced that what we present as the “base aggro mechanics” of the game, is only partial knowledge of what is going on under the hood.

That's similar to what I've been seeing in dungeons: Tank runs into a well spaced bunch of mobs, all but 2 go after him. The 2 on the flanks closest to the other group members come to the group and nobody has made a move yet.

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In continuation to what jackashes said, I am pretty sure that all hard cc skills (pulls, stuns, fears) are a soft taunt. But I might be wrong on this one.